Ducommun Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Stephen G. Oswald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The lower level positions for accounting/ finance are kept to a bare minimum and a heavy work load is placed on the accounting/ finance personnel (in 3 reviews)

1. "VP/GM"

Former Employee - Vice President/GM in Parsons, KS
    Former Employee - Vice President/GM in Parsons, KS

I worked at Ducommun full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and compensation was fair. Good working conditions and safety

Cons

Hours are long due to not staffing organization well

2. "Ducommun Way"

Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ducommun full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's the oldest registered company in California.

Cons

It reads pretty, but they do not live it...values are non existent. It has become a soulless and non caring organization. They furlough salaried employees without pay to hit their numbers. So much for employee engagement. It's now disengagement.

Advice to Management

Corporate officers have lost touch with what matters to the workforce. They throw others under the bus.

"Absolutely poor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Ducommun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that work hard and want to do a good job.

Cons

The "Ducommun Way" is to work outrageous overtime, practice extremely poor scheduling, poor manufacturing processes, extremely poor warehouse management, and not show any appreciation to the workers. The new CEO only cares about the numbers on the board. We understand that we need to appeal to certain customers, but at times it gets to be too much. Our customers should not be telling us where in the facility and when we should run their product. Instead of going out buying new businesses, winning new customer business, adding more of a workload, lets slow down a bit and get our current processes figured out. We can barely float our current customers with poor quality.

When it comes to career opportunities, it all depends on who you know. If you aren't buddies with the manager you aren't getting the job. A majority of us feel we cannot move up due to the fact they want us in the positions we are in. A bachelors degree is required for a majority of the office positions, depending on who you are. A handful of us have associates degrees that are overlooked for certain positions, but the value stream manager has nothing on contingencies to go back to college?????

There are absolutely no bonuses or compensation benefits. Salaries are terrible. The only way to get a raise is to put your two weeks in and hope that they counteroffer. I spent 6 years in college and spent thousands for the next person whom have never set a foot in a college get the same position I have and make more money.

Advice to Management

Management and especially human resources, need to take a long hard walk around the plant and really understand what people are doing and why they dislike working for Ducommun, instead of sitting at a desk or sending out surveys that just get shredded.

"Demise of Ducommun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at Ducommun full-time

Pros

A week off without pay so that corporate can make bonuses. Complete lack of ethics at corporate level. The Ducommun way is dead...

Cons

New company president would rather punish employees with unpaid furlough instead of attempting to help solve problems in positive way. No need for furlough when company is buying other business. I would choose zero stars if I was able to.

Advice to Management

Quit talking about how ethical you are and stop with the worthless employee engagement. You don't care about the well being of your employees, only your own bonuses. Gear up to start hiring because you will drive out good employees.

"Low pay with unlimited overtime"

Former Employee - Test Technician in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Ducommun full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, unlimited overtime most of the year

Cons

Little or no communication from management. Local management at the Tulsa plant had extremely high turn over. Every 8 months to a year managers were replaced. Management didn't value hard workers who got a lot done any more than the slackers who did very little. High stress, long hours, and very little appreciation. Lots of bullying, backstabbing, and intimidation. If you were "favored", then you were protected. If not, then you were pushed out by previously mentioned means. Everyone was always over worked. Most worked 6 days a week for most of the year. That could be a pro if you like that but don't count on ever having a work/life balance at this company. Raises were locked in at 2.5% no matter how high or low your performance. Very poor A/C system; always very hot (average 80 degrees) on manufacturing floor during the summer.

Advice to Management

Follow your "Ducommun Way" model, treat employees with respect, improve communication, and provide a work/life balance.

"Why I worked at Ducommun"

Former Employee - Operations in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Operations in Joplin, MO

I worked at Ducommun full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Start out at $10 an hour now with raises every 6 months until you top out at your pay scale. That usually takes 4-5 years

Cons

They push teamwork and listening as what they are really good at but they have a long ways to go.

Advice to Management

Follow your own "Ducommun Way" before expecting employees to

"none"

Current Employee - Assembler in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Assembler in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Ducommun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if you want no life

Cons

There are people who can do what they want on the floor. Push it to where if the dont want some one working in there area they will do anything they can to get them in trouble. but the same people will help hide mess ups for there friends. Since Ducommun bought LaBarge, morale has been down. for the simple fact that all we here is we need you here to work. or that we are always at fault when they dont make shipment. on that same note we cant even get in what we need from the vendors.. especially when there is a 26 week lead time on what we need.
    down sizing the office staff and other major players. Making it for difficult for the others whose work load has tripled. and there still not done yet. At the end of this 3rd quarter we will see how many of us are still going to be there.

Advice to Management

nothing to say that hasnt been already said. they dont care as long as we are at work and doing our job..

8. "Great"

I have been working at Ducommun full-time

Pros

Clean work environment for everything

Cons

Fast paced work style stay on toes

Advice to Management

Management is ok just need time to relax

9. "Unable to move up in the company"

I have been working at Ducommun full-time

Pros

Normal hours 6-2:30 pm, Mon-Fri; unless on overtime.

Cons

Cannot move up in this company. Favoritism. New hires make more than others.

10. "Can be a better company"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Ducommun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customers and a good place to learn

Cons

Team and management lack communication. Team members are unprofessional.