Ducommun Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Anthony J. Reardon

Pros
Cons
  • There is no formal complaint system for/to HR (in 3 reviews)

• Pay is low and upper management has gotten to corporate (in 3 reviews)

1. "Director of Finance"

I worked at Ducommun full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Good salary and benefits
     - Collegial environment
     - Treated like professional
     - Relative independence
     - Believe and practice Lean manufacturing

Cons

- Merger created two separate companies

Advice to Management

- Stay true to Lean principles

2. "Uncommun"

Former Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Tulsa, OK

Pros

not to bad lots of experienced and smart engineers to work around

Cons

I Worked in IT at Ducommun a few years ago. There where a few good employee's there . Management was almost non existent to me half the time and the other half they pretty much just treated me like a kid and would shoe me away and tell me not to do things a certain way. To be honest I felt that a lot of the managers and supervisors at the Tulsa Plant where elitist . SO proud of the fact they went to local colleges and supported football in small town Tulsa that they had become sedentary at their jobs and in their lives. I took this job as a temporary position . Yet they expected me to fix all the problems that the last guy in my shoes caused. Without a budget or any hardware. The server room sits in the attic which had really bad ventilation, They were still running Windows XP machines everywhere. To top that off their Active Directory was a mess. Things where so locked down that you couldn't even use them let alone administer any aid to the computer systems. I mean really what Admin does that ? The humidifier on the floors didn't work half the time. I had people put in help desk tickets for stuff that didn't even have regards to working on their computers. one guy wanted me to show him how to root his android phone "like seriously on the clock". I work in IT I am use to all different kinds of people. but the ask me to do my job without tools and after you tell me to go away then expect it to be done when you want it to is just lunacy. I had another guy who would annoy me with stories about how good a hacker he was in the 90's which was like IDK 20 years ago....
    get over it.. I had one manager who I believe actually held any kind of credible college degree and was able to show that in his leadership and his behavior. only 1 out of like 14. Also during that time it was not fully Ducommun yet so the acquisition was not complete. Therefor tones of

Advice to Management

Give your IT department a budget. instead of buying your own equipment and expecting us to just service anything you drag through the door.

3. "Wish I didn't"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Parsons, KS
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Parsons, KS

I have been working at Ducommun part-time

Pros

Fellow employees are good to work with. All the overtime a person could ever want. Paycheck has never bounced.

Cons

Management thinks they are so very important that it is an insult to have to deal with the employees that do all of the work.

Advice to Management

Really get over how awesome you are and try to see what your employees are struggling with.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Accounting & Finance in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting & Finance in Carson, CA

I worked at Ducommun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is well established and has a good (new) management team looking for ways to improve processes and move the company into the next era. Depending on who you work for, there can be good balance of work and work/life balance is encouraged. The corporate and shared services team was great to work with and to work in. New younger professionals brought a sense of involvement and were actively looking for ways to improve processes, which was not possible with employees that have been with the company for many years and are set in their ways.

Cons

There can be over involvement of management in projects.
    The company is very slow to change process (due to it's age, system and employee base limitations).
    The work locations are usually not in the best areas so if you can negotiate some flexibility on that regard, you will have a good start.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and listen to feedback from your teams. If there are five good leaders and one rotten one, you should move to improve that leader or replace him/her. Visions can get lost if there is even one bad apple so no matter what is talked about, be sure you have buy in from the carriers...real buy in...not lip service. Have action items and hold people accountable.

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Coxsackie, NY
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Coxsackie, NY

I worked at Ducommun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, flexible schedule, interesting work, always busy.

Great benefits
    Colleagues are very friendly
    Everyone is engaged
    Great place to learn different department roles

Cons

Sometimes the work can be repetitive but that's pretty standard with any government contracted work.

Overall needs more new projects

Advice to Management

None

7. "Marketing Intern"

Pros

Great place to intern with lots of opportunity to learn.

Cons

There were not any i found

"Directors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I worked at Ducommun (More than a year)

Pros

Plant Leadership is solid and functions well as a team. Engaging in Change.

Cons

Directors of Engineerimg and Program Management stay in their offices and dont engage in the business

Advice to Management

Replace you Directors with "Go Do" Leaders

9. "Good springboard to better opportunities"

Former Employee - Engineer in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Carson, CA

I worked at Ducommun (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. If you are starting your career then it's a good place to learn how different departments function and work cohesively to get product out to the customer. You'll learn a lot since you may have to put on multiple hats, depending on your position.

Cons

Pay & benefits are below market standard.
    Still operates like things are being built in a garage except its much bigger.
    Corporate is just interested in revenue without caring much for what can be done to bring in new business.

Advice to Management

Corporate and Senior management needs to be changed.

10. "Blank"

Pros

Depending on the management at the time, it can have good and interesting projects. People are nice and generally easy to work with.

Cons

Ducommun needs to support more new research and development projects. Work can become uninteresting at times due to lack of new technologies.

Advice to Management

Invest more on resources and new research and development projects. Don't focus on the beans and focus on engineering solutions and growth of employees.

"Just a job, no career"

Former Employee - Aerospace Assembly Technician in Catskill, NY
    Former Employee - Aerospace Assembly Technician in Catskill, NY

I worked at Ducommun (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited overtime allows you to make your own paycheck

Cons

Lack of knowledgeable management. Very little qualified supervisors, show little to no leadership

Advice to Management

Pay the employees more than minimum wage to get millions of dollars a month out the door.