EAB Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
David L. Felsenthal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Mission-driven, high-growth company with great opportunities for internal progression"

I have been working at EAB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the corporate culture. In the 10 years of my career working in a variety of environments prior to joining EAB, I'd never had the chance to be surrounded by such consistently smart, hard-working, mission-driven colleagues. It's a dynamic and profitable business on a steady hyper-growth trajectory, and employees who lean in and want to take initiative regularly have opportunities to get involved in new and different projects. Also a great place to build a career as they're intentional about promotion and prioritize internal career pathing, so there are lots of opportunities for lateral moves into different functions or portfolios. This seems to explain why a lot of those in senior positions came up through the ranks; there are a lot of "lifers" and "boomerangs" within the company. I also appreciate the strides they're making and priority they're placing on diversity and inclusion. With the separation of EAB from Advisory Board, I'm excited to see how that benefits EAB's ability to make decisions based solely on what's right answer for this business and its ability to grow and best serve educational institutions and systems.

Cons

Sometimes there's so much growth and change that it's hard to keep up to speed on the latest offerings, policies, systems, people, acronyms, etc. If you enjoy steady state and don't thrive on continuously evolving fast-paced environments, this aspect can sometimes be challenging. Also, it's a very collaborative organizational culture -- while there are a lot of positive aspects to this, it means that often a number of people need to be consulted prior to decisions being made -- figuring out who needs to be consulted, who owns a given decision, and how best to make a case to them can be tricky at times. On the flip side though, I appreciate being looped in and able to weigh in on so many decisions that could impact my work.

Advice to Management

Over-communicate to staff, especially given the rate of change and growth -- whether its updates on business performance, news about major decisions, refreshers on our offerings, or formalization of detailed departmental org and seating charts -- your centralized emails, town halls, webinars, and repositories are often much more reliable as a primary communication/information strategy than the trickle-down approach.

2. "Fortunate to work here"

I have been working at EAB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-My managers and peers genuinely care about your career and want you to succeed. They go out of their way to support you, both at work and in your personal life. I've never been surrounded by such great, smart, and encouraging people at a job.
    -The Community Impact program is award-winning. Before starting at EAB, I had never participated in volunteering. Now, I have so many opportunities to join groups that are either doing hands-on work, or gaining skills through pro-bono projects.
    -The D.C. office has great energy about it, both with employees and the executive team. People really do seem excited to come to work every day. Plus, there are frequently snacks, EAB branded swag, and other fun things available (especially if you work in the Sales/Marketing department).
    -The PTO policy is great and most employees have the ability to work on a flexible schedule. Depends on who your manager is, but you can work from home sometimes, and flex your hours during the week.

Cons

-Entry level pay is significantly below the market. However, once you advance at the company your compensation becomes competitive.
    -The 401k company match plan is as little as 2% of what you contribute
    -EAB as a company and brand pushes that they want all employees to have a work/life balance, and have benefits to help encourage that behavior (paid hours off to go to the gym, etc.) -- but many roles and many teams have too heavy of a workload to actually use those benefits. While it certainly varies person to person, many employees work more than 8 hour days, send emails on the weekends, and take on more than their bandwidth should allow.

Advice to Management

-You've been investing so much in the past year to make EAB a great company to work for, so keep up the good work. Continue to invest in diversity efforts.
    -I'm sure there's budget somewhere to improve entry-level salaries, which should significantly decrease turnover.
    -Duplicate Richmond's traditions in the DC Office

3. "Great Place to Grow Your Career"

I have been working at EAB full-time

Pros

Dynamic growth business; mission driven industry; opportunities for career development and rapid advancement; great group of peers

Cons

Fast paced environment with lots of change driven by fast pace of growth, requiring ability to adapt quickly; generally demanding jobs with high expectations

4. "Current employee of 2 years"

Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at EAB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EAB is an amazing place to work, especially for recent college grads. Managers are willing and ENJOY helping employees career path. EAB values innovative thinking and have a plethora of benefits to attract young minds. CEO and senior leadership are directly involved in typical day-to-day business of the firm and leaders of firm culture. The location of EAB in Foggy Bottom makes for an easy commute from DC, Northern VA, and Maryland making it an attractive place to work for most of the DMV. Employees at EAB enjoy coming to work and because of that, employees are the leading drivers of creative and valuable solutions to our members.

Cons

It is hard to get past the entry-level salary wall.

Advice to Management

Putting more money into your entry-level employees salaries would decrease employee turn-over and would increase energy and desire to perform well at work.

5. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at EAB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Extremely passionate, dedicated, smart co-workers
    - Mission-driven culture where everyone from senior leaders to direct managers empower you and want you to succeed.
    - Senior leadership very transparent and open to implementing employee feedback in a timely manner
    - Title and compensation bumps can occur within your current role (for example, a marketer can go from AD to D to SD within 2-3 years)

Cons

- challenging travel schedule for marketers (part of the job though)
    - few senior level roles outside of the sales organization
    - new ownership which will undoubtedly cause changes in 2018

Advice to Management

- Continue to innovate and question the "playbook" that we use in our commercial org.

6. "Work that matters with colleagues who care"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at EAB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have been with the company several years, and consider myself incredibly fortunate to have found an organization that is mission driven, yet affords very practical business experience and learning.
    The work is fascinating, you are entrusted early in your career with great responsibility, there's ample growth and promotion opportunity- but you have to be willing to work hard and push yourself to excel. I love my work and so that hasn't been an issue for me- and I still feel like I have great balance and time to pursue other interests, like volunteering.
    The company is socially responsible and does a lot to provide flexibility for volunteering, health and wellness, and time off to recharge.
    The mission is so compelling and what keeps me here: we really are helping to make education smarter. we are helping students find the right college, and helping them graduate in four-years.

Cons

There has been a lot of change in the past year- including a split from our parent company and acquisition by private equity. I personally think this represents even more opportunity for staff- but not everyone is a fan of change. Or private equity.
    Like many companies, we are working to provide a more diverse and inclusive culture, but we're not where we want to be yet. I think management recognizes this and is taking action, including hiring a head of D&I.

Advice to Management

Continue to build upon what has made us special- and differentiated us with our members and our employees
    Don't let private equity ownership change who we are and what we value
    Continue to build bridges between the Richmond and DC offices

7. "Good Company"

I have been working at EAB full-time

Pros

Young company where you have opportunities to grow.

Cons

Path to promotion not clearly defined.

8. "Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at EAB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Mission-driven culture with a focus on improving the performance of colleges, universities and K-12 schools

-Incredibly smart colleagues who are driven, creative, smart and care deeply. Lots of boomerang employees--"people who leave and then come back."

-Corporate Social Responsibility program that is incredibly active and supportive of employees' interests and has driven a lot of impact in local communities

-Firm is growing and driving impact in an important industry

-Employees who deliver results and are collaborative--have upward mobility options

Cons

-Need more management training--sometimes firm has leaders managing who need to be invested in before they can be great.

-Given split from the Advisory Board Company--internal systems need to be upgraded faster

Advice to Management

-Try and reduce the email volume!

-A lot of improvement recently with communication--(continue to invest here).

-Bring back the holiday party

9. "Needs Substantial Improvement"

I have been working at EAB full-time

Pros

The work-life balance at EAB is pretty good, so if you are seeking that, then this is a good company to explore. One is able to come in at 9AM and leave at 5PM if they would like (or earlier). In general, the people you end up working with are very nice as well.

Cons

Since splitting with the Advisory Board Company, EAB is a bit shaky with getting its internal infrastructure together... but it is slowly happening. The company seems to struggle with how it wants to be branded externally - sometimes it wants to be seen as a "best practices" company, other times it wants to be seen as a tech company, other times it wants to be seen as something else. I'm also not sure if the company is aiming to be an "employer of choice" and offering an amazing work experience to employees (e.g., top-notch compensation & benefits, creative & fun work-environment with nice facilities, be a place where an employee can grow, mature, and have a huge impact on the company). Execution is particularly slow here and there appears to be a bit of fear of failure within the leadership which is not conducive to a growth-oriented mindset. The recent acquisition by private equity firm Vista also may stifle the ability of EAB to create its own priorities and goals without interference. That makes it a bit different from other privately owned companies that are not part of a portfolio.

Advice to Management

Strive to become an "employer of choice" and revamp your compensation & benefits. For example, if you're trying to attract top technology talent to boost your product development efforts, create a company that can compete with other purely tech companies from a talent perspective (e.g., work environment & facilities, execution speed, maybe even provide some snacks for employees). Also start being more open to changing the way things run and operate at the highest level. There are a lot of executives who have been within the Advisory Board/EAB world for 15+ years, and this can really be prohibitive to innovation and a growth-oriented mindset. Embrace opportunities to stretch & be challenge, adopt a "yes and" mentality instead of a "no but" mentality, and be okay with smart failures - that is the way that we learn and grow. Try to make this an innovative, fast-moving, and fun environment where everyone is excited to come into work and be a part of the journey. Higher education is a field that is ripe for disruption and can be done so if the right approaches are taken.

10. "Great Place To Work"

Pros

Growing company focused on solving big problems in education
    Strong, employee friendly culture that offers generous PTO, interesting work, flexible schedules
    Working hard to keep what's best from its history while being open to a fresh new approach

Cons

Things move quickly and change is a constant. You need to be agile and flexible to be successful.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in what makes EAB special--its people, culture, commitment to members.