EMA Design Automation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Manny Marcano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Have the right expectations – it is a job. As with any job, you get out what you put in."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is a magnet for entitled whiners. I have worked at EMA Design Automation for almost 4 years and it delivers exactly what I expect – a paycheck. Is it perfect? No. Is any job perfect – No. Why do I go to work everyday? To make money. I am not looking for a social event. I am not looking for my every whim to be catered to by the owners and my boss. The comments about ‘decline’ and ‘disorganized’ – either those people didn’t work at EMA, or they like to be managed by a babysitter or they were completely oblivious to what was going on. If you are self-managed, you will thrive at EMA. Most responsible adults are self-managed. As for the health of the company, it is the best I have seen in the 4 years I have been here. Could the benefits be better, sure. Could I budget my money better? Unfortunately yes. Glad to see the bottom feeders with such negative posts have moved on. They are cancer and will never be happy in life.

Cons

Benefits could probably be better.

Advice to Management

Thank you for providing jobs in Rochester, NY and beyond.

"I would rate my experience at this company zero stars if it were possible. Worst run company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck, I guess? I literally can't think of a day when I didn't dread going into that place.

Cons

Management and ownership is the worst I have seen in my 20 year career. They have absolutely no idea how their employees feel.

Advice to Management

Figure out why your business had steadily been declining over the last ten years and why your turnover rate is astronomical.

"Last Resort"

Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Management is ok
    -Industry leader in a niche market
    -Post Sales support is good, technical support is good
    -Company is not bureaucratic

Cons

Pay is way below the average for this job
    Benefits are horrible, I mean beyond horrible
    Employees are miserable which makes it hard to deal with day in and day out

Advice to Management

Pay more. Stop letting the lazy people do nothing all day. Give real benefits, you can afford it

"Stopped Responding During Negotiations For Employment"

Pros

I only interviewed here and did get an initial offer. During the negotiation process they stopped responding to me after the initial offer letter. I cannot really say much about the company other than what I was exposed to during the interview process.

Seemed like a somewhat laid back atmosphere. I guess that's a pro?

Cons

Disorganized at best. Dishonest at worst. They stopped responding to me after I tried to negotiate the initial offer letter. I'm not sure what happened there.

Advice to Management

It would be a good idea to respond to potential employees and keep them in the loop on things. If you're not interested any longer then it would at least be a professional curtesy to indicate that.

"Look elsewhere for a healthy career"

Pros

Paychecks are nice and coffee is only 50 cents a cup. There are enough other opportunities out there that a job here doesn't have to turn into a career.

Cons

The environment is toxic. Be a "Yes" man or be an outcast. People are promoted for enforcing management's philosophies and ideas, not for coming up with their own. If you have better ideas just keep them to yourself or risk having your job threatened. Everything you do is monitored and and scrutinized. God forbid you have the flu and have to go to the restroom more than a few times a day.

They have a ping-pong table but I'm certain it's there just to test the employees to see which ones are "lazy" enough to play during the work day. To my knowledge, it was never played the entire time I was there.

Speaking of the first year, there are absolutely no benefits, vacation or sick time given during the first year. If you've got the flu you're still expected to be at work (or have your job threatened). You can work a 50 hour week, miss a day for being sick, and still be verbally reprimanded and expected to make up for the day you missed. I'll never forget how shocked I was when I called in sick one morning only to hear that I was expected to come in. This, after working multiple 50+ hour weeks.

It always felt as if my job was on the line and that I could do everything right but make one mistake, say the wrong thing, or suggest the wrong idea in front of the wrong person and I would be fired. I was threatened so many times that I looked forward to them actually going through with it.

If you do decide to work with this company, get your pre-scheduled vacation time approved in advance and WRITTEN IN THE CONTRACT. I had an out-of-town wedding for my brother that I planned months before applying for this job. I notified them and It was verbally approved when I accepted the position. However, one month before the wedding (after I had my tickets), I am told that a week is too much to take off for a wedding and that because I don't get any vacation time during the first year that they would be generous enough to give me one day unpaid but that was it. They didn't care that it was my brother's wedding and that I had responsibilities in that wedding. Shortly after returning they followed through with their threats to lay me off. I can honestly say that it was one of the most freeing days of my life. I now work for a Rochester's Top 100 company doing work I love with great people.

Advice to Management

Please re-evaluate your mid-level management. Treat your employees with respect and trust the people you hire. Work can be fun and productive at the same time. It is possible to have a work-life balance that benefits both the employee and employer. Understand that "Yes" men are offering no benefit to the company and that smart intelligent people having occasional disagreements actually improves business when there is a common mission and values.

"Marketing and Sales"

Current Employee - Marketing and Sales in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing and Sales in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do give raises - I got 2 in less than 2 years. Prospering technology re-seller. Business is successful.

Cons

Electrical engineering can be boring. People are not very social, and there are no team building activities. There is no collaboration or communication between departments.

"Tech Support Associate"

Former Employee - Tech Support Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Support Associate in Rochester, NY

Pros

Relaxed, nice co-workers, popcorn, enjoyed first hand contact with customers

Cons

can be boring at times

"Sad Way to Run a Company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Rochester, NY

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

a pay check, seriously, that's the only pro. Managers are just there to get a check and will not back you up or help you. I could go weeks without ever speaking to my manager.

Cons

Toxic environment, If you speak up you will be targeted. most folks stay in there cubes all day and do the bare minimum. so called "leaders" do not know how to lead. People are promoted or hired because they have a friendship with the owners. There is literally no loyalty from the employees and most leave when an opportunity presents itself.

Advice to Management

bring in a consultant to teach you how to run a company and treat people. Treat people with respect. It is shameful how management speaks to people. The level of rudeness is not to be believed.

"Terrible environment run by idealogs. No respect for employees."

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck for some period of time... There is really no other reason to be here.

Cons

The Management Team (husband and wife) are much more concerned about their friends internally than the negative effects on the balance of the employees. Moving forward, I think a list is simpler:
    1) Impressively incompetent people are placed into important positions with no training, knowledge or a proper understanding of English (These people are native english speakers). I consider myself a professional and it was quite embarrassing in front of customers and business partners.
    2) Selling software support to companies when they know there is little to no work being invested in the product.
    3) Running inside sales like a sweatshop, monitoring all calls in and out of the building without a notice to the caller.
    4) Ridiculous number expectations for salespeople, and you may or may not be paid.
    5) When I was there, we didn't even receive commission statements, so we couldn't verify we were being paid properly
    6) They try to retroactively negotiate compensation plans in a very heavy handed way.
    7) They force their right wing political views on the entire organization, you absolutely cannot challenge this. Why is this even discussed in a work environment?
    8) General employee morale is terrible, almost everyone is on the way to somewhere else.
    9) Management acts like your pay is coming directly out of their wallet and you certainly dont deserve it.
    10) Employees who are brought in from offshore and treated like indentured servants and will likely never get a green card. To me, they are treated like slaves and being taken advantage of.

Overall, it is a haphazardly run kingdom, they don't value/respect their employees and they never will.

Advice to Management

Sell the business to someone that cares about their employees.

"Nice people, but disorganized"

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do a good business and everyone there is pretty good at what they do. There's potential to grow, although I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Cons

Some serious management issues, not receptive to new ideas, tries to take advantage of employees rather than rewarding them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! They're there to help.