ESET Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Marko

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, HR really cares, plenty of activities to feel included, decent benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, nice downtown/Little Italy location that includes parking and on-site gym (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing currently comes to mind (in 4 reviews)

• The set-up of the channel team needs better focus (in 2 reviews)

1. "Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in San Diego, CA

I worked at ESET part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The human resources department is amazing at organizing company events like volunteer events, department meetings, fitness, and all hands meetings. The company culture is by far the best I've been able to experience of all my former (and current) employers. Everyone is has a great attitude, management values your input/opinions, and it is like a family. Also, their breakroom/gym is insanely large! It takes up half a whole floor! This has been the best employer I've ever had the honor of working for and from. I've not only capitalized on skills I had, but ESET helped me grow and identify other skills I didn't know I had.

Cons

I can't submit this unless I have at least 5 words. So there.

Advice to Management

None

"Solid Product / I loved my team!"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I worked at ESET full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before moving out of state, I worked at ESET for more than three years on multiple teams (Marketing / Business). I truly enjoyed everyone that I worked with. I felt that I accomplished a lot for ESET and my career, and it was a solid investment in my future. People are passionate about what they do, and work hard and really try to cultivate the 'team-first' environment. There is a ton of opportunity if you are a hard-working, solutions-focused individual.

Cons

I really think that the benefits are great, although the company is still privately held - so no profit-sharing / stock options. I think that they could still improve on the perks / employee rewards to stay competitive.

Advice to Management

Focus on your talent and continue to develop and promote from within.

"Positive Changes"

Pros

Benefits are the best I have ever seen in the private sector. Pay is also higher against industry standard.

Cons

Definitely politic heavy, it may impact how long it takes for certain projects and initiatives to get done.

Advice to Management

Listen to all voice when making key decisions, not just those higher up.

"Management Agenda is Self-Serving"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at ESET (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, good downtown location. Pay is above average for what the roles actually require.

Cons

Management doesn't understand the sales structure and is aimed in the wrong direction to fix. This is a channel focused company, but rather than build the channel, the sales leaders focus on nurturing small customers. The set-up of the channel team needs better focus. Smile and dial isn't an effective strategy, but seems to be all management is able to promote. Leadership hasn't got the experience to effectively grow and they continually promote either people with very limited experience or people than have gotten all of their experience at ESET.

Management seems to be more interested in protecting their own roles and advancement opportunities, than stirring the pot or creating a positive change. There is a lot of individual and personal focus on career betterment, rather than on maximizing their own role and becoming superior leaders.

HR is impotent and will agree with complaints, but will not do anything to correct a situation for the same reason of not wanting to cause a stir.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror.

"Politics and more!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ESET full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, HR really cares, plenty of activities to feel included, decent benefits.

Cons

Little value placed on knowledge sharing. Departments are very siloed. Insulated a bit from the politics if you work on a good team, but there's little respect between departments or process or each other's work, when an employee can circumvent the process by having a VP's ear and have a task forced into your queue ahead of top projects you're already on. Salaries are about 20% lower than market. Very little room for advancement. No regular raises.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, I have no idea as far as standing up to SK goes. However, locally and internally, there needs to be consistent processes and consequences for violating them. I don't care if you're a VP, if the company culture allows somewhere to forcibly violate a process just to insert their task ahead of other priorities and or insert a person at the top of the food chain ahead of those who have been diligently working without complaint for years, then the company is already broken. No amount of restructuring will fix it.

7. "ESET's environment is like no other"

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in San Diego, CA

Pros

ESET takes great care in making sure the environment for every single employee is positive and motivating. With free coffee, parking, drinks, and a large amount of dedication to both single employee and overall company health ESET excels in creating a professional and invigorating work atmosphere. This great environment is clearly evident in the happiness and work ethic of ESET's employees. As an intern, I also experienced the dedication management makes to each and every single team member, as well as the strides management takes when it comes to dealing with every team member's concerns and issues.

Cons

No current cons come to mind.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand on the great dialogue you have going on between you and your teams.

8. "Great People & a Great Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

I have worked at ESET for more than a year and a half now and feel compelled to share why I love this company. My coworkers are friendly, welcoming, and are always willing to help each other at all times. - which leads to a healthy and positive workplace. Management makes a great effort, time and time again, to ensure that we all know that our voices are heard. On top of that, even as a part-timer, I enjoy many benefits such as a matched 401K, monthly massages, free parking, free drinks/ food, etc., that far exceed any company that I have ever worked for. I have recommended ESET to numerous friends to see if they were interested in joining the ESET team with me - all of which who have been very eager to jump in considering my opinion of this company.

Cons

No cons to state at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing our voices to be heard - I know it helps myself and our team greatly.

"Sales Perspective- Don't waste your time, no advancement"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at ESET full-time

Pros

When I first came to ESET they had an incredible culture. Their overall benefits are excellent, Celeste has done an awesome job creating a package that is encouraging and supportive.

Cons

Unfortunately the greatness of the benefits has been overrun by poor sales management. There lacks transparency and true collaboration amount teams. With the change in sales executives, has come a period of cleaning house and rebuilding things for the future. I hope it happens fast enough, for ESET has an amazing product. If you're in sales, this may be a great opportunity in the future, but too messy right now.

Advice to Management

Sales management: Burn the red tape and make changes that promote transparent collaboration and get your sales force trained in a way that promotes a very clear career path.

"Great Company, Management Heavy"

Former Employee - Technical Systems in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Systems in San Diego, CA

I worked at ESET full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and people
    Location is amazing
    A really solid product and development team

Cons

ESET has become the classic example of 2 people rowing the ship and 7 people shouting "Row!" As someone who has seen a healthy amount of companies, ESET has fallen victim to a management team that breeds more management members. Instead of stocking a team full of talent, they instead focus on a top-heavy organization that will ultimately weigh them down.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the organization to see why much of the talented staff has left in the past 3-4 years.

11. "Great Company! Growing really fast"

Pros

Great Perks, Flexibility, Free-time, and vacation policy

Cons

Little trouble transitioning from a "start-up" to enterprise in the US