Edmentum Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Jamie Candee
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Clear vision, great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Ability to work from home, pay is competitive (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Many in upper management in field gave no recent field experience (in 11 reviews)

• Worked as contractor and let go after short stint (in 5 reviews)

1. "Engagement Specialist"

I worked at Edmentum full-time

Pros

High energy, fast paced, and overall fun place to work.

Cons

Compensation is not equivalent to the tasks required.

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate, appreciate, grow and encourage your staff.

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Edmentum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Awesome Co-workers, management made sure you were comfortable and had enough knowledge to assist the customer over the phone with product questions.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment

"Math Curriculum Developer (Contract)"

Former Employee - Math Curriculum Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Math Curriculum Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Edmentum (More than a year)

Pros

The curriculum developer position had an adequate hourly pay rate.
    I worked from home.
    It was easy to reach out and ask co-workers for help via Skype.
    There is an attempt to get everyone to know their co-workers, working from home and in the main offices. This is a pro and a con. There are lots of meetings, sometimes up to 4 a day, even for contract employees.

Cons

My complaint with Edmentum is how my contract was ended. After being told during the interview process that contractors stay for years and often turn into full-time employees, my contract was ended abruptly. No clear reason was given for ending the contract. I had received positive reviews and not been told of any complaints about my work.
    As someone who has worked in curriculum development full-time and as a contract employee, I do realize that companies hire contract employees precisely because they can be let go at any time. However, the way Edmentum tries to create a work place community, and makes contractors attend all meetings, makes it seem as though the contract employees are really "part of the team". YOU ARE NOT. Lesson learned.

Advice to Management

Be more clear during the interview process about the status of contract employees. Do not have them attend all meetings and ice-breakers if they are not going to be given the same respect in terms of job status.

"Sales"

I worked at Edmentum full-time

Pros

Great training and great team members at your level. Great product! Competitive commission and salaries.

Cons

Micro-managing managers - some who want to get involved in your personal life - more than they should. At times, hostile work environment. The products are great - but can be difficult to keep up with the changes.

Advice to Management

Having a work-life balance is important to job seekers. Employees should be able to keep their personal life private. It's nice to get to know one another, but management, especially management, should keep conversations professional.

"Overall, great company"

I worked at Edmentum full-time

Pros

Great company with lots of opportunity and they often promote within

Cons

Smaller so there seems to be less room for advancement

Advice to Management

None I had great managers

"Great entry level position"

Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Edmentum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Manager listens to concerns and feelings
    Ability to move up
    Exposure and experience to sales and marketing
    Work from home day(s)
    Positive culture
    Territory assignments
    Commission
    Many training opportunities

Cons

Daily activity expectations are high

"Good Company; trying to get it right"

I have been working at Edmentum full-time

Pros

The company is working hard to provide exceptional solutions to teachers and students. Great products and lots of talented people to work with. Internal opportunities for advancement or transfer are available.

Cons

Growing pains. There are big changes each year and that means that employees are always trying to adjust to the current expectations. Although the changes are generally moving the company in the right direction, it can be a lot. Also, it seems that internal upward mobility options are only available to some people. It seems that some are stuck and have trouble moving around.

Advice to Management

Continue being as transparent as possible.

"deadmentum"

Former Employee - BDR in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - BDR in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edmentum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hmmmm. When I was hired under Archipelago Learning, the company was fabulous! Lots of collaboration, teamwork, and fun events.

Cons

Don't plan to work at Edmentum long if you go into sales. The usual life span is 2 years max. I was fairly happy in other departments until I moved to inside sales. Sales quotas are manipulated to get unwanted people out the door. I truly beleive I was a victim of age discrimination. In the end, my manager made up a lie so she could finally fire me after numerous failed attempts at 'catching' me doing anything against company policy. It's a shady place to work, the managers are unethical and in the end, this will affect the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Try some diversity in the workplace. Like different races, ages, and backgrounds. When 80% of the employees are 20 -30 years old, with the exception of a few managers, wisdom is lost. Hang onto those you have spent time training, and use the talents of everyone rather than a select few. This company has great products, which I still use now as a teacher, but the way it's managed, edmentum will be deadmentum in 5 years or less. When you learn that one of your managers lies about an employee, you should fire them, not promote them.

"Awesome team and product!"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edmentum full-time

Pros

The BEST product on the market and they are always improving it! I am amazed at how much time and money they put into the products each year. I have been here just three years and the courseware product is so much better than it was when I started it is almost unrecognizable as the same product. They really listen to their customers and are doing all they can to meet all their needs. Management is fun, motivating and always ready to help! I love it here!

Cons

They have so many great products, at times it can be a bit overwhelming. You could spend half your day learning about new upgrades and additions. We all work very hard and two weeks vacation is not really enough.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I love the upbeat attitude of the management team. Never lose this strategy!!!

Edmentum Response

May 31, 2017

Hi! Thank you so much for the great review! As an fyi, if you have been here for 3 years, you receive 4 weeks of vacation:) Use it and enjoy it!

"Education Platform with Zero Focus on Training"

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Training Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Edmentum full-time

Pros

Health benefits were well priced
    Flexibility to work remotely based on management and department
    Free coffee and tea
    Snack area but you do have to pay with a card and it's similar to convenience store pricing

Cons

Cons really seem to vary by department and leadership. My take on things from a team and overall view -
    -People are placed in leadership roles without having much, if any, knowledge of the department and how it works; it seems to be based on who you know rather than expertise and experience.
    -Poor understanding and execution when it comes to an "agile" environment. Agile does not mean putting out fires, though that's how it's interpreted here.
    -There is zero coaching and effort to build actual leaders. There are a series of managers with no leadership capabilities, no understanding of developing direct reports, and minimal relevant feedback.

As far as the training division goes, that needs a massive overhaul and internal training as a whole needs a true focus from the top down. A company can use fluffy buzz words and say that training is important, but without an appropriate investment in a training team, appropriate leadership that truly understands all aspects of training and communications, and an internal senior leadership culture that believes in the skills of those employed as trainers, an organization is left with random materials from different sources doing things their own way and not adhering to any form of instructional design or adult learning methodology. As a company that builds content for its education products, it's shocking to see what is considered internal training for many parts of the organization.

Someone on the team put it well, and it should have been a huge red flag, when I had a call before I started - 'It's a great place to work if you want to do the minimum and there's no accountability, so really you don't have to hit deadlines or get things done for at least a year before anybody says anything.' That actually summed up the experience there very well.

Advice to Management

Perform a careful analysis of the people you've put in charge of departments and make an actual business plan from there. You'll cultivate and retain top talent when the people placed at the head of teams act as leaders rather than managers.