Electronic Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Electronic Systems President Anthony Lane
Anthony Lane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • VERY low pay with a horrible commission structure that even the CEO, who isn't the sharpest crayon in the box anyways, can't explain (in 7 reviews)

• commission structure that even the CEO can't explain (in 5 reviews)

"Top Notch Organization - Highly Recommend"

Current Employee - Account Manager - ISG Group (Information Solutions) in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Electronic Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This organization offers motivated individuals the ability to earn substantial income and elevate their careers beyond the role in which they initially started out in. ESI truly embraces the "promote from within" model and an employee's growth is only limited by their willingness to put forth the effort. ESI provides its technology consultants with every tool required to be successful and there is great emphasis placed on surrounding each account manager with a supporting team of technical resources. Despite its size, ESI has a small business feel and it promotes a family atmosphere within. ESI technical account managers are exposed to a wide array of industry leading manufacturers and the experience and networking opportunities afforded are sure to provide numerous career opportunities moving forward.

Cons

ESI is a wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox and as such, the majority of the rules that drive the business focus around the print technology industry. Since the differences between print technology and information technology vary so greatly, it can feel at times that there is a disconnect, which results in an inability to engage and grow the IT business in new directions, which i feel are vital for ongoing success.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards a more consultative approach to IT sales and prepare for the ongoing and potentially accelerated revenue loss of the more transaction-based, commodity sales.

2. "Political Office enviroment"

Current Employee - Support Desk Engineer MITS in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Support Desk Engineer MITS in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Electronic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are pleasant to work with.
    Good team camaraderie.
    Minimal micro management.
    Clean work environment.
    Good experience, has a diverse customer base with a diverse selection of hardware and software that is being supported.

Cons

If your not part of the click you won't go very far.
    It's a sales driven company so the service side doesn't get much recognition.
    Pay is marginal at best, starting and raises.

Advice to Management

Judge and pay everyone, on the position being held, and the quality of the work being done. Not, on whether they like the same things you do, or what they made in their last position.

"Field Service Manager"

Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Electronic Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunity to growth with ESI. Promotions are available to employees who show desire and excel in their current position. There is support from executive management and a real team atmosphere.

Cons

The pace is usually very quick and you may struggle if you are use to a work day that is too laid back. You need to be able to follow processes closely and sometimes make decisions on your own weighing what is right for the customer and the company.

"Account Manager Vb"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Electronic Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to get experience! I had two managers in the time I was there and they were both awesome. One took me in like I was his own child and I can't be more thankful. The other one took me under her wing to ensure I completely understood every step. It's a great atmosphere with amazing people.

Cons

It is fast paced (welcome to sales). Would love to see more interaction between major account roles specialists and commercial team. Commercial team can learn a lot from experienced reps.

Advice to Management

To eliminate the separation from commercial team and major account

"No Future Here, Terrible Management Past Year and a Half No Future Here."

Former Employee - Copier Technician/Printer Tech/Fax Tech in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Copier Technician/Printer Tech/Fax Tech in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Electronic Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees bonded and laugh together about the Current Management, that have been running PTG Copier Department the last Year and a Half and how they have been on a firing spree and hiring New, hardly trained persons for little money, and always looking for people, due to they fire all the persons they have invested thousands in for any silly reason , Directors doing this and being allowed.

Cons

Abnormal Employee Turnover, Robotic Managers that don't know how to stand for the proper moral decisions but fear for their Jobs and let the Directors, wind them up, and steer them. Gave me and others worn Parts from old used Machines causing unusual Recalls and down time for Customers. Hiring New and young inexperienced employees who turn over faster than the prior dedicated they had. Double standards where one Tech can do something that they do not like but is fine, and the other who the Mgr. does not like is targeted. Richmond went downhill and Managers were fired there also by the Director to a point where there are Tons of complaints. Fires being put out at this moment with backlash from this allowed Management.

Advice to Management

Handle your problems at upper levels and don't allow fresh Director as has happened destroy your company. Remember those who work hard for you and did also, and think of what this Company gets away with compared to the minor reasons you have fired tenured employees and keep on firing. You have your own Managers cussing at employees daily also. Stop putting junk parts in copiers that fail so fast. Stop the social clubs between VPs and Directors, who don't really manage and let the inexperienced directors destroy the Company and fire all prior Loyal Employees who helped get you where you are but will not be any longer. Become an employee oriented company again.
    Don't be so cheap that you fill the company up with new employees that won't stay long and use you like you used all your prior fired employees. Xerox stock dropped about 15 points in January, so when you fire and do all the things you do to Lifelong employees with benefits and better Salaries, the Public can see what is happening, and you will feel it in the long run also. These employees helped get you to the figures you had the one year they were good last year you brag about so much that you send to Xerox. No Future here, they pull the rug out on tens of employees who helped them grow to be more profitable. No security or future here.

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Electronic Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Positive team atmosphere. Opportunities to advance. Amazing resources that competitors could only dream of. Clear expectations.

Like any job, if you work hard and do the right thing, then you will be compensated for it. ESI gives you the resources in order to be successful. It is ultimately up to you to decide how to use them and how successful you want to be.

Management in the Richmond office truly cares about your development, success, and personal growth. Clear expectations are set and the manager gives you a roadmap on how to be successful.

Cons

Market/Customers are accustomed to a high turnover rate which negatively effects current reps. Need a better commission structure to retain good reps and current customers.

There is to much emphasis on obtaining "net new" business and that leads to a lack of coverage for current customers.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to change the commission structure to pay more for retaining business and increase the base salary. ESI is overall a fun place to work, but if you don't pay the good reps enough then they are bound to leave. Increasing the base would also attract better candidates that have experience and can immediately contribute to the company. I would also change the service pricing structure. The service rates are simply too high to be competitive in the market.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Electronic Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company is incredibly nimble and has the ability to deliver equipment and make changes immediately compared to other companies, especially manufacturing companies in the industry
    -The Director of Sales/Manager is extremely fair, sets VERY realistic expectations both for salary expectations when interviewing with her and once you're on board about what is expected daily. She is the least vindictive person I've ever met. Despite some of the really awful people that were in our office, she worked with them and helped them close deals and even made sure they got paid after they left because it was the right thing to do.
    -I felt compelled to write a review because I could NOT believe the ridiculous things these former disgruntled employees were writing. This is NOT a game, you are toying with people's lives.
    -Our Director travels with each rep at least once a month and meets weekly for one on ones to discuss our territories, etc. and helps in any way, she will stay late or come in early - She will help you ANY time, especially if you ask her for help
    -She is NOTHING like the recent reviews (which were fabricated and at least two were written by the same person - both on May 25th as she called and told one of the reps that still works here)
    -Two former employees for some reason remain disgruntled and have not been able to move on. The fact that they are no longer on our sales team is such a PRO for the Richmond office. We began to immediately thrive once both of these toxic individuals left. They both made the work life miserable for everyone around them and thankfully they are both gone!
    -The Sales Director does not move accounts without communicating to all parties and actually requests that if warranted to move, we work it out ourselves if possible. Her typical phrase is that she wants to "maintain the integrity of the territories"
    - This Director/Manager is very open minded and will help you as much as you need it. She does like to control the situation but for a new sales person, it was nice to have the structure of my weekly schedule outlined for me so I could fill in the blanks
    -This manager helped me by providing my territory list, showed me how to organize it, created mailing labels and other ways to make it easy to prospect and do my job
    -This Sales Manager created proposal templates, Customer Review documents and provided (again) a weekly schedule so I would learn how to be a consultative sales person. She REALLY cares about the team
    -our sales team is AWESOME - we have blitz days with contests , we recently went to Kings Dominion because we hit our sales goal. Everyone was included and we have such a nice group of people.

Cons

-Our base pay is lower than I'd like. Our commission is uncapped but because of the turnover in the Richmond office (prior to our new team) it takes about 12 plus months to really get your customers to know who you are and begin to trust you. A lot of people have a hard time hanging on that long
    -it is a typical first job for younger/newer reps so it is often a stepping stone type of job
    -until our office gets our slated Sales Manager, the Director is stretched thin so extra time with her is hard to get
    My training class was not the best - BUT they did hire a new trainer so this may turn into a PRO
    -We do have weekly Monday 8:00 a.m. mandatory meetings and weekly Friday 4:30 recap mandatory meetings. It's not bad but it's not my favorite thing

Advice to Management

-Acknowledge the ridiculous reviews for what they are (with fake information - neither rep was employed longer than a year in Richmond and our Director only got there last Aug) let alone the bogus comments
    -Take the time to see all of the positive changes that have happened since we revamped the sales team and all of the great changes that have been made since August of last year
    -suggest all prospective new hires talk to the reps who have been here and really work within our office to get the real scoop. Talk to the Director's former employees that are still in VA Beach - they LOVE her and still contact her often
    -increase the starting base or create some sort of guarantee in the first year depending on each territory if it's been worked or had multiple reps
    -Allow for the reps to expense things or increase the monthly expense allowance
    -Hire a Production rep/Product Expert for the Richmond office

"Disappointed from the start. Poor training, left on your own. Minimal managerial support.."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Electronic Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere was a plus. However the lack of professionalism was obvious.

Cons

Employees were treated poorly and spoken down to. In some cases management sweared at employees and it was accepted as normal practice.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect. Treat employees how you would want to be treated. Do not talk down to your employees. utilize coaching techniques to build their skill set.

Electronic Systems Response

Jul 27, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We’re glad to know you found the family environment enjoyable and rewarding. On the concern you expressed, it is not acceptable in our... More

"Horrible management in place in the Richmond office. Upper management seems to not care."

Former Employee - Sales Person in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Richmond, VA

I worked at Electronic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-There is a Wawa close to the office that I would sneak off to regularly

Cons

-The manager that was put in place within the last year in the Richmond office is absolutely horrible. Unfair practices, irrational behavior, lewd and disruptive comments, highly emotional, has a constant "favorite of the week", doesn't meet numbers but blames everyone but herself.
    - commission structure continuously gets worse and worse over the years
    - a lot of gossip and drama started from the manager herself
    - they paint a different picture as to what they actually expect you to do. They pay you pretty much bottom dollar (salary starting at $32K/year) and only expense you a monthly auto allowance of $300/month (which you finish by day 2 of the month).
    - Upper management turns a blind eye to the inappropriate behavior that is constantly happening under the management in the Richmond office.
    - you often have to take money out of your commission check to cover petty errors that management "approved" but goes back on after the deal is signed.

Advice to Management

maybe try hiring someone else? just a thought.

"Account Representative"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

>The Coffee
    >The Opportunity to make something of yourself
    > Upward Mobility
    > Great coworkers
    > The chance to do something amazing

Cons

>The trains run on time at ESI. DO NOT BE LATE EVER!
    >Departments do not have the strongest cross-communications
    >Burn-out rates are higher than usual (stressful job- must be willing to work hard)

Advice to Management

None so far... Management has been really fair & laid out clear expectations.