AIG - Summer Actuarial Intern | Glassdoor

"Summer Actuarial Intern"

Former Intern - Summer Analyst in New York, NY
Former Intern - Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at AIG as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

the people there are really nice and eager to help me with all my questions. Got to learn a lot of different line of business and models they use.

Cons

Some of the team the interns got placed are not at their busy season, so some interns may not able to touch the core of the team projects because there is no projects for them to do at that moment.

Advice to Management

more organized and really see if the team actually need people there.

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

1. "Systems Manager"

I have been working at AIG full-time

Pros

Challenging environment, multi-faceted work scope with international team collaboration helps developing a lot of skills that speed up a career to sucess.

Cons

Cost reduction trend has been creating a lot of undue and unnecessary stress so the company started losing skilled people that fled from potential demise risk.

"Don't work for internal audit here."

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in New York, NY

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Make no mistake about it: this is the WORST place to work in internal audit in New York City. If you don’t believe me, just ask around and you’ll confirm this. The pay is low, the hours are horrible and the work environment is not pleasant.

One of their many tricks is to offer large bonuses- based on performance, of course. You won’t get your review/bonus until the very end of March the following year, so they can squeeze three more months out of you before giving your review. You will receive nothing in writing until your year-end, and any mid-year reviews will strangely just be you and your manager (no witnesses). When I requested to receive my mid-year in writing, my director lied right to my face and he would and never did, and never had any intention of doing so. Later he tried lying about the fact that a certain percentage of people had to get low reviews, but he didn’t realize I’d already seen the email from the CEO confirming this. Basically they’ll lie right to your face, over and over, and have no problem with it as long as it furthers their ends.

The turnover in internal audit has to be over 40% per year. People get discouraged and quit all the time. I’d say the average person lasts about 12-18 months and they burn out. Cycle, rinse, repeat. Of course, they spend a lot of time at recruiting events, and this should tell you something. If they are so great to work for, why do they need recruiters?

They should have let this company go under in 2008.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management, since I don’t want them to succeed anyway. I have advice for potential employees though: unless you can’t find a job anywhere else, don’t work here.