Cengage - Great vision, and commitment to excellence | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Great work life balance with a comfortable working atmosphere" (in 149 reviews)

• "Great people and a really friendly environment" (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • "In some cases, they even created "new positions" for people who were personal friends with upper management" (in 71 reviews)

• "Work-life balance can quickly become unbalanced if you're not careful" (in 28 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Great vision, and commitment to excellence"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rapid City, SD
Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The leadership of the company has been jaw-droppingly motivated, visionary, and transparent. They have turned a company haunted by downturns in the market into a trendsetter that is adapting profitably. Along the way they have been committed to employee growth and job satisfaction. I am thrilled with what we are doing for learning. Cengage is a good company with a good purpose!

Cons

The education market is highly scrutinized by media and government.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. In 20 years with the company, you are the only management group tackling the real problems, and doing so successfully.

Cengage Response

Nov 21, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for an impressive 20 years of service. I am personally grateful for the leadership from our Executive Team and from leaders like you at every level across the company. Our focus on access... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Mid-Year Review (Sales)"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are plenty of things to love about this company. Great people (if you're lucky and end up on a great team), decent summer and winter hours (working from home if you're in the sales field), and ok benefits. Company car for sales reps out in the field with gas allowance, professional development that includes a yearly week-long sales summit to network with your peers from all over the country (although if you are not a manager you have to share a room with someone which is a huge downside to perks). With the launch of Cengage Unlimited, everyone is excited and optimistic for the future. People here in general are mission driven and goal oriented and really do care about the work they do. It's a challenging, ever-changing environment but that's what makes it exciting, in my opinion. You truly do feel good about the work you're doing to help students learn.

Cons

As mentioned above, it's an ever-changing industry and one that has to keep re-inventing itself constantly to keep up. Customers know this and are very stand-offish even with the launch of Unlimited which lowers the cost of materials significantly for students. I haven't been here long enough to see any high turnover but have heard from a number of others that re-orgs happen often. Technology does not align with that of the company's ethos. Cengage is still far, far away from its goal of being "85 percent" digital. Instructors don't buy it. Platforms are old and dated, and, no matter how great the benefits, instructors already have their minds set and aren't willing to change. Cengage's internal CRM (Magellan) is terrible and no one seems to be doing anything about it. Trying to update one opportunity can take up to 15 minutes. This doesn't seem like a lot but when you have 100+ to work on and the system is constantly freezing and running slow- it adds up. Sales reps are constantly having to apologize to customers for tech issues. Training was inefficient and didn't cover at all what you needed to learn before selling season started. For reps completely new to the industry, this can mean missing their bonus(es) as they are only paid out twice a year. Many professors are now pressured to turn to free educational resources (OER) and are very stand-offish toward publishers. It's very much a customer service job and you will be wearing MANY hats and encounter lots of rude customers who will try to make you feel low because of their own bias toward publishers. During selling seasons be prepared to work ridiculously long hours and somehow be expected to plan for 4-day campus visits (like writing detailed lesson plans which can take hours), spend long hours on campus while trying to juggle 20+ emails, update CRM and conduct follow ups all in the same week. Not to mention learn new products, platforms and processes all at the same time. It can be mentally draining. Vacation is not competitive when compared to other publishers and "tech" companies, and neither is base salary.

Advice to Management

Please advocate for a better CRM system. If not Salesforce, then one that can be highly functional without crashing and freezing in the middle of work because 1,000+others are on it at the same time. Additionally, managers have just as heavy of a workload as reps do hence they should understand that pointless 1-hour team calls and end-of-the week updates only disrupt out performance, not enhance it. We are adults who know how to do our jobs and if we don't, you wouldn't have hired us. Please loosen up all the corporate procedures such as unnecessary team calls and other busy work so that we can focus on our customers and ensuring we are being efficient with our time.

Cengage Response

Dec 3, 2018 – Vice President, Sales Strategy and Operations

I’m happy to hear that you are as excited as I am about Cengage Unlimited and the momentum we have. These ARE exciting times as we take the lead on providing affordable access to high quality... More

2. "Learning Consultant"

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Great Company, salary, benefits & management.

Cons

If your not a manager you have to share rooms at NSM

Discover more reviews about Cengage.