Cengage - Great vision, and commitment to excellence | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Great work life balance with a comfortable working atmosphere" (in 146 reviews)

• "Great people and a really friendly environment" (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • "Shifting of upper management as well as titles for positions is frequent" (in 70 reviews)

• "Work-life balance can quickly become unbalanced if you're not careful" (in 27 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Great vision, and commitment to excellence"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rapid City, SD
Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The leadership of the company has been jaw-droppingly motivated, visionary, and transparent. They have turned a company haunted by downturns in the market into a trendsetter that is adapting profitably. Along the way they have been committed to employee growth and job satisfaction. I am thrilled with what we are doing for learning. Cengage is a good company with a good purpose!

Cons

The education market is highly scrutinized by media and government.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. In 20 years with the company, you are the only management group tackling the real problems, and doing so successfully.

Cengage Response

Nov 21, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for an impressive 20 years of service. I am personally grateful for the leadership from our Executive Team and from leaders like you at every level across the company. Our focus on access... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Cengage’s lack of accountability damages careers"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’m guessing in some fields people are having a positive experience hence the good reviews.

Cons

My first job where being a female was to my disadvantage.

The CEO hasn’t hired a true CFO in years. News flash don’t trust a company who can’t hire a CFO.

Mind blown on how the CEO has such a high rating yet the turnover (especially in senior roles) is atrocious and then you add in his lack of trust for his employees.

This company is launching a huge change in the industry but the company itself isn’t ready for it.

Advice to Management

Hire a CFO. If you can’t, then hire a CEO who can. Start running, you are too far behind in the times to keep up.

"Sales consultant"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home/company car.

Cons

No support, database for customers (MAGELLAN) HORRIBLE!

Advice to Management

Support your sales consultant. They are the ones bringing in $$ not the managers. Managers should be able to go out and SELL as well and not see in front a computer and judge your abilities.

Discover more reviews about Cengage.