Cengage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

District Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Several phone/Skype interviews with different district sales managers. Final in-person interview with sales management team consisted of project preparation and presentation. Fairly standard process but lengthy. They definitely know how to treat a prospective employee though. All arrangements were handled with great care and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a sales pipeline effectively?   1 Answer
    • What are the key components of a successful salesperson?   1 Answer

Cengage Response

Mar 14, 2018

Thank you for the feedback and welcome to Cengage!

Student Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

The interview process was consistent and they kept in touch with me along the way. They were also very open to questions and email response time was very quick! I had 2 phone interviews as well as 2 in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• How do you think your past job experiences have helped you prepare for this position.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA).

Interview

It's a long process but it's very organized. Given the role is high exposure in the organization, the process includes 5 rounds, including the first phone screening with in-house recruiter. I met all relavent people for the role, sharing their experience and expections for the role I applied besides testing the relavance of my skills and experience for this tole. The recruiter I worked with is very helpful to schedule the interviews around my agenda - I had several crazy travels and vacations in between interviews. The recruiter was also thoughtful in providing me with sufficient information to prepare for the interview, .e.g. who I'm going to meet, how long each session would be, and when I would expect to hear back for the next step. Overall, it's a very smooth process.

Interview Questions

• Generally two parts, first part is very typical questions on experience - e.g. team management, aligning with stakeholders, anything you'd do differently in your past experience, etc. Second part involes a small case, either it's data/suggestion, or it's "what would you do in this scenario?"   Answer Question

Product Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clifton Park, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Clifton Park, NY).

Interview

I was screened by talent acquisition with basic questions about myself, then was I was informed about the company. From that moment on, I was in constant contact with my to-be hiring manager and talent acquisition. They explained what Cengage does and where Cengage plans to go. I had all questions answered with excellent detail.

Applications Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Raleigh, NC) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. There were 3 rounds of interviews. First was a screening with 2 directors of architecture. Then a technical interview with an engineering manager. Finally a 3 hour on site interview with senior developers that was mostly technical, but there were some behavioral questions from the managers I spoke with.

Everyone was very pleasant and friendly except one person. It seemed like this person had to constantly prove he was the smartest person in the room. He often cut off the other interviewers and me. He would ask a question, but rather than listen he seemed to be thinking of his response. More than once he repeated back to me my answer, almost exactly, but in a way where he was lecturing or correcting me. However, he only added new information once, and never contradict anything I had said. I tried clarifying and commented that he and I were basically saying the same thing, and that's when it became clear he never listened to my original answer. He never expected me to get the answer correct and was waiting for his chance to show how smart he is.

I was given a lot of time to ask my own questions about the company. Several of the interviewers spent most of the time telling me the great things about the company. This made most of the interview process very easy, but it is good to have an actual conversation rather than be bombarded by questions.

We reached a mutual agreement that my career goals and skills did not align with their current openings. I was worried about this from the beginning and brought it up twice during the process. It felt like they kept looking for a place where I could fit, but never found one.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions about my skill set, strengths, weaknesses, common scenarios, and conflict resolution.   Answer Question
    • Questions about an architect's role in agile.   Answer Question
    • Simple white boarding exercises, but programming and architectural design.   Answer Question

Intern Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

One of the most amazing interview processes I've ever had. Allison Sproul is hands down the best recruiter I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with! It consisted of an initial phone screen with Allison, then another phone call with a hiring manager, and then for my final interview instead of having me drive into the city (as I am a college student) they were so very accommodating and made the interview a video conference that was very brief! I am so happy with this process. I can't wait to start!

Product Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

Very professional and organized interview process. Everything was laid out and the plan was clear throughout the process. I felt that there was someone looking out for me and keeping me in the loop at all times. Definitely inspired confidence in the company overall!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to overcome a challenge, and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Learning Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (New Orleans, LA) in March 2018.

Interview

Awesome interview process. Each step of the way is greatly thought out and very thorough. I had an initial phone conversation with recruiter, after that I had an in person interview with my manager. After that interview, I had to campus project and an in person presentation/demo. After that process was the video call with the GSM and VP back to back. Very quick process (took less than 2 weeks) but we'll worth it!

Content Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was great. I was contacted by the talent recruiter by email; followed by a pre screen telephone conversation. The following week I was contacted for an in person 1-1 interview. The interview was with the director of the department. It was friendly and went very well; very professional. The following week I had a second interview. The interview focused on skill sets, group collaboration, and project management. It was very professional and focused. Throughout the process, everyone was very accommodating and extremely professional. The communication channels were very good. I had a wonderful talent recruiter who was always available to answer my questions and kept very well informed throughout the process. The did extended an offer to me and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• How to handle difficult or challenging situations,
      How to communicate with upper management.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage in March 2018.

Interview

Fairly standard HR phone interview, followed by interview with lead engineer, followed by interviews with other members of software engineering team. All were friendly and nothing too challenging. Mostly personality based questions.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

First, a phone screen was scheduled between myself and the Director of the department. The Director did a great job explaining the role, its responsibilities, and how it related to that of others in the greater Talent team. After a phone screen, I was quickly invited into the office to meet with the Manager and Sr. VP of Talent. It was a very fast, organized, and welcoming/genuine process. Each person I spoke with had a genuine passion for the work they did and the organization they work for.

Interview Questions

• What are some techniques that help you remain organized?   Answer Question

Cengage Response

Mar 14, 2018

The Talent team is glad you joined! Appreciate the feedback and look forward to you helping us create more great candidate experiences.