Cengage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

District Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Several phone/Skype interviews with different district sales managers. Final in-person interview with sales management team consisted of project preparation and presentation. Fairly standard process but lengthy. They definitely know how to treat a prospective employee though. All arrangements were handled with great care and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a sales pipeline effectively?   1 Answer
    • What are the key components of a successful salesperson?   1 Answer

Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online. About a month later got an email from a recruiter asking to set up an initial phone interview. I sent back some availability, he confirmed, and at that date and time...I got ghosted. I emailed him about 25 past the hour to ask where he was, as I had double confirmed in my email I was correct. Hours later I got back an apology email about getting pulled into a meeting, could we reschedule for later that week? Here’s the best part - if I never emailed asking for a reason as to why the recruiter never showed up for a phone interview he set up, would he have even contacted me to reschedule or apologize? Based on mediocre Glassdoor reviews and the fact this is how they are treating Director-level candidates, I can’t imagine this is a company worth working for. Actions speak louder than words.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Cincinnati, OH) in November 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screen, with someone in HR. Contacted for another phone discussion with the hiring manager. I was emailed by 3 separate HR individuals. Was told by the hiring manager they wanted me to come for an in person. 2 follow up emails and 2 weeks later and I still hadn't heard back. Just rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Cengage Response

Nov 27, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. I am disappointed to hear your interview experience wasn’t positive. Our goal is to ensure each candidate feels valued though the process, regardless of outcome of the... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cengage in September 2017.

Interview

I only did a technical phone interview with one of the managers. Call was schedule for 11:00 a.m, however for some technical difficulties the call started 20 minutes later which I blame no one for. The rest of the interview went by sharing the screen and I was given two questions to solve at the point. I did solve the first one correctly. For the second one I couldn't get it on time so the interviewer provided his email to submit it after which I did. What makes it a horrible experience and a place I regret applying for is that they never reached back for a result or even an excuse. One day I had to cal the company and ask for the manager at 10:00 a.m and the hr person was like it is too early for him to be here.

Oct 30, 2017

Thank you for providing us your feedback. I would like to learn more about your experience. Please email me at Careers@Cengage.com. -Jill

Director L&D Interview

Interview

Very long, drawn out process. Seemed fairly organized. However, the time and effort, as well as resources to accommodate 18 interviews was taxing.

Fairly normal process, recruiter screen, hiring manager, business partners, hiring manager again, potential direct reports, HR liaison, SVP, hiring manager again and peers.

If I had not communicated, perhaps over-communicated, process would have been awful, left not knowing what was up or down. Same sets of questions basically over and over again. Flew to corporate, but 1/2 of the employees I was scheduled to meet were not on site. Video interviews for most, which worked fairly well, but in my years as an HR professional, I always meet with potential candidates that will be a direct report, in person, at least once.

Was excited about possibly working for the company. Great strategy and vision, but the long process and exaggerated lineup of interviews threw a flag.

In the end, I received a 20 second phone call from a recruiter stating they had decided to change the role / direction and that I was no longer qualified.

I realize this happens in business, would have been nice to have cut ties after maybe 10 Interviews rather than 18...

Interview Questions

Cengage Response

Aug 24, 2017

Thank you for your review and interest in joining the Cengage team. I am disappointed to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please know that we see the interview as an important part... More

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen, then 4 Zoom interviews with colleagues, HR and the manager. While I thought these went well, my candidacy fell into a "black hole." I still haven't heard back.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage (Albany, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Process was compact, running roughly three weeks from submission to offer. (Might be a bit longer if you apply just as the notice opens.) The steps were set out and communicated by the recruiter and hiring manager. The inclusion of a written, screening assessment in the domain area (project management, in my case) was a different way to approach finding out a candidate's knowledge and approach on typical scenarios. There was a screening interview with the HR recruiter, an interview with the hiring manager, another interview with the Director, and then another discussion with two current project managers in the role. All meetings were web meeting (with video) or phone. (Position is remote, so there is a heavy use of virtual meetings.)

Interview Questions

• What is one word you would use to describe yourself? (Then, what is one word a friend would use to describe you?)   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cengage in June 2017.

Interview

No wonder this company filed for Chapter 11. Terrible experience from an unorganized and uninstructed company.

I applied for a role online and after a few days a recruiter set up an initial first call. After the first call went well I was connected to another recruiter for the second phone interview. Had the second call which went well and then was scheduled for a third call with the hiring manager which also went really well. After that, I received an email from the recruiter saying that they wanted to set up an in person interview. The recruiter and I scheduled a date for an onsite. A few days later the recruiter emails me and asks if we can reschedule the onsite for the following week. I say no problem and provide my availability. I don't get a response for 4-5 days so I send an email. No response for about 5 more days, so I send another email. After complete radio silence, I receive a voicemail the next day from a recruiter who I was never in contact with saying that they made an offer to another candidate and that they understood that I "potentially" was supposed to come in for an interview but no longer will be the case. I wasn't potentially supposed to come in, I had an onsite scheduled and I'm assuming it was canceled because they made an offer to someone else. Why string me along, what garbage, they made an offer to the other person more than a week ago lol. Anyways what a terrible and unprofessional company, the first interview took place back on June 21st. It starts from the top and it shows that it trickles all the way down. Dodged a bullet.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

Multiple rounds with partners and coworkers capped with a skills test and pitch of vision. Long and drawn out although good communication from hiring manager. Significant gaps between rounds and although expectations were communicated it still felt longer than needed. Drastically different experience between communication from HR and the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about Cengage and the Education industry?   Answer Question
    • How have you communicated with students/faculty in the past?   Answer Question

Higher Learning Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2017.

Interview

Took part in a Human Resources phone screen which was brief in duration and was very unprofessional. It was an incredible waste of time and I was left baffled by the entire experience. Thankful I did not move forward in the process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

It was dragged out and long. No reason for it to be this way. Everyone and their moms need to interview you because they do not want to share the blame if they hired the wrong people.

Interview Questions

• Consultative selling -- asking questions to get to the bottom of customer needs. Doesn't really work with our customer based -- the dynamic is different than other sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They can probably give you more but they won't. Ask for at least 10-15 more. They wont give it to you though.