Cengage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

District Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Several phone/Skype interviews with different district sales managers. Final in-person interview with sales management team consisted of project preparation and presentation. Fairly standard process but lengthy. They definitely know how to treat a prospective employee though. All arrangements were handled with great care and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a sales pipeline effectively?   1 Answer
    • What are the key components of a successful salesperson?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cengage in June 2017.

Interview

No wonder this company filed for Chapter 11. Terrible experience from an unorganized and uninstructed company.

I applied for a role online and after a few days a recruiter set up an initial first call. After the first call went well I was connected to another recruiter for the second phone interview. Had the second call which went well and then was scheduled for a third call with the hiring manager which also went really well. After that, I received an email from the recruiter saying that they wanted to set up an in person interview. The recruiter and I scheduled a date for an onsite. A few days later the recruiter emails me and asks if we can reschedule the onsite for the following week. I say no problem and provide my availability. I don't get a response for 4-5 days so I send an email. No response for about 5 more days, so I send another email. After complete radio silence, I receive a voicemail the next day from a recruiter who I was never in contact with saying that they made an offer to another candidate and that they understood that I "potentially" was supposed to come in for an interview but no longer will be the case. I wasn't potentially supposed to come in, I had an onsite scheduled and I'm assuming it was canceled because they made an offer to someone else. Why string me along, what garbage, they made an offer to the other person more than a week ago lol. Anyways what a terrible and unprofessional company, the first interview took place back on June 21st. It starts from the top and it shows that it trickles all the way down. Dodged a bullet.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

Multiple rounds with partners and coworkers capped with a skills test and pitch of vision. Long and drawn out although good communication from hiring manager. Significant gaps between rounds and although expectations were communicated it still felt longer than needed. Drastically different experience between communication from HR and the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about Cengage and the Education industry?   Answer Question
    • How have you communicated with students/faculty in the past?   Answer Question

Higher Learning Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2017.

Interview

Took part in a Human Resources phone screen which was brief in duration and was very unprofessional. It was an incredible waste of time and I was left baffled by the entire experience. Thankful I did not move forward in the process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

It was dragged out and long. No reason for it to be this way. Everyone and their moms need to interview you because they do not want to share the blame if they hired the wrong people.

Interview Questions

• Consultative selling -- asking questions to get to the bottom of customer needs. Doesn't really work with our customer based -- the dynamic is different than other sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They can probably give you more but they won't. Ask for at least 10-15 more. They wont give it to you though.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cengage (Raleigh, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

Went through a couple rounds of interviews with recruiters, HR, and eventually an architect. Interviews were pretty reasonable, particularly the technical. Technical interview centered largely on going through my experience and a few of my projects, with the architect poking about here and there, asking questions, etc. Pretty decent stuff.

Unfortunately, at no point during this process would anyone tell me what I was interviewing for. This left me unable to ask any specific questions about my duties & responsibilities, tech, process, team, advancement... you name it. When I questioned the lack of clarity regarding exactly what job I was trying to land, they explained their hesitancy (didn't want to rule out candidates who were a poor match for one job, but might work out well elsewhere). While this seems reasonable initially, we really have to get specific at some point so I can evaluate the opportunity

Next step was a face-to-face that sounded fairly intense, but since I wasn't given enough information to decide if I wanted the job, I had to decline to pursue further.

Interview Questions

• Describe a past project, its architecture, the technologies, etc.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, KY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cengage (Florence, KY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and within several days I received voicemail from Cengage Recruiter. After making contact I talked with company recruiter for about 15-20 minutes. We discusssed all of my sales experience and actuallly enjoyed intial interview. So we bother came to the decision that I should move on to another interview with manager.

Interview Questions

• Asked sbout Education and streesed that Degree would need to be commmited to time frame for Employment. Would I be willing to only take off 2 days max during peak selling period Sept -May. Base plus bonus. Bonuses based upon sales when book are bought. Semesters are times when you get sale to generate Bonus   1 Answer

Product Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied for this position through their online database. A hiring manager followed up with an email about a phone interview following up with an in-person interview. Position did not have a lot of details about workplace environment or expectations/hours.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

The interview process took 2 months from start to finish, but it was very straight forward. I had three phone interviews and one face-to-face. Each interview was professional and there were no "curve balls" thrown at me. It seemed to be heavily focused on making sure my personality and demeanor would be a good fit for my team since there would be a lot of collaboration involved.

Interview Questions

• What made you decide to interview for a position in this industry?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

LONGGGGGG interview process: it took me three months to go through it. It included the following: a preliminary phone interview, an in-person interview, a campus project, a digital presentation/role play situation in an interview setting, and a phone interview with the VP.