Cengage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

District Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Several phone/Skype interviews with different district sales managers. Final in-person interview with sales management team consisted of project preparation and presentation. Fairly standard process but lengthy. They definitely know how to treat a prospective employee though. All arrangements were handled with great care and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a sales pipeline effectively?   1 Answer
    • What are the key components of a successful salesperson?   1 Answer

Mar 14, 2018

Thank you for the feedback and welcome to Cengage!

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

The interview process took 2 months from start to finish, but it was very straight forward. I had three phone interviews and one face-to-face. Each interview was professional and there were no "curve balls" thrown at me. It seemed to be heavily focused on making sure my personality and demeanor would be a good fit for my team since there would be a lot of collaboration involved.

Interview Questions

• What made you decide to interview for a position in this industry?   Answer Question

Associate Media Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Belmont, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I had seven interviews in two rounds, with members of editorial and media development ranging from mid to high level. All of the interviewers were courteous, well-informed about my background and the position, and asked engaging, insightful questions. Many times, the discussion began with my current experiences, then moved into how I could apply those in the new role, and then concluded with a discussion of the current state of the industry and the motivations behind what we do. I thoroughly enjoyed these discussions, and they were prompt in follow-up and response to my questions and inquiries throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to analyze and present data in a previous or your current position.   1 Answer

Associate Development Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

The initial communication came from an HR staff member. I then interviewed with 4 members of the team.

Interview Questions

• I was required to create a market development plan to achieve 100,000 customer touches of a specific technology product.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was brief. There were no terms to negotiate for this position.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cengage in September 2017.

Interview

I only did a technical phone interview with one of the managers. Call was schedule for 11:00 a.m, however for some technical difficulties the call started 20 minutes later which I blame no one for. The rest of the interview went by sharing the screen and I was given two questions to solve at the point. I did solve the first one correctly. For the second one I couldn't get it on time so the interviewer provided his email to submit it after which I did. What makes it a horrible experience and a place I regret applying for is that they never reached back for a result or even an excuse. One day I had to cal the company and ask for the manager at 10:00 a.m and the hr person was like it is too early for him to be here.

Oct 30, 2017

Thank you for providing us your feedback. I would like to learn more about your experience. Please email me at Careers@Cengage.com. -Jill

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton Park, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Clifton Park, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Technical phone screening interview followed by onsite interview. Met with 4 engineers basically testing out knowledge for 2 hours. Has been 4 weeks since the interview, no offer, no rejection. Initially followed up after a week, told me to follow up again after 1-2 weeks. Followed up after 2 weeks, no response. Felt rather unprofessional. A simple rejection would've been suffice. Don't hold your breath when applying here.

Interview Questions

• Type of people you want to work with   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cengage (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

functional test suites using Selenium, Appium, Java and TestNG Performed regression,
    integration, functional testing. Participated in functional and UI specification reviews. Created and executed test
    cases for new features and functionalities. Provided complete end-to-end testing before deployment. Performed
    battery drain test. Tested application behavior under various interruptions: battery strength level, incoming
    calls, SMS, video calls. Performed localization testing

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA).

Interview

It's a long process but it's very organized. Given the role is high exposure in the organization, the process includes 5 rounds, including the first phone screening with in-house recruiter. I met all relavent people for the role, sharing their experience and expections for the role I applied besides testing the relavance of my skills and experience for this tole. The recruiter I worked with is very helpful to schedule the interviews around my agenda - I had several crazy travels and vacations in between interviews. The recruiter was also thoughtful in providing me with sufficient information to prepare for the interview, .e.g. who I'm going to meet, how long each session would be, and when I would expect to hear back for the next step. Overall, it's a very smooth process.

Interview Questions

• Generally two parts, first part is very typical questions on experience - e.g. team management, aligning with stakeholders, anything you'd do differently in your past experience, etc. Second part involes a small case, either it's data/suggestion, or it's "what would you do in this scenario?"   Answer Question

Strategy Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cengage (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Standard process - phone screen with hiring manager, followed by 4 first round video interviews, and 2 final round video interviews, all with people that I would be interacting with in the role I was interviewing for. After receiving an offer, there was ample opportunity for me to get all of my questions answered before having to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• Given that it was a strategy role, most of the interviews included some sort of "case question" related to work that I would likely be doing.   Answer Question

Mar 1, 2018

Welcome to Cengage and thank you for your feedback!

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cengage (Boston, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

I was working for the company as a consultant and was later offered a full-time position.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cengage (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2013.

Interview

Very informal. No skills test of any sort. Was like talking to a friend. Some sort of skills test should be implemented to reduce the amount of on the job training that we have to provide.

Interview Questions

• Do you know HTML, CSS, and XML?   1 Answer