Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0

1,124 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Shifting of upper management as well as titles for positions is frequent" (in 69 reviews)

• "sometimes lack work-life balance" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company - Great People - Great Culture"

Current Employee - Director, Sales Learning and Development in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Director, Sales Learning and Development in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With the quickly changing "textbook" industry, one of the great things about Cengage is that we are constantly challenged for new and better ways to help our customers solve their issues related to education affordability, access, and student outcomes.
    Getting up for work everyday is easy when you feel that you are with a company that is sincerely working to make a difference in such an important industry as higher education.
    The people I have met at Cengage make the difference. There is very little company politics here and people genuinely try to support and help each other, which is refreshing in the rat-race that is the corporate world.
    Cengage is also very flexible--- the goal is productivity rather than where your office is, when you clock in/out, etc...
    It is fun being the first to market with Cengage Unlimited, our digital subscription of all our content. Watching the competition scrambling to catch up is pretty fun, as well.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that are major. Pay, perks, vacation, and benefits are fine and probably about average for a company this size.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope on being a leader in the industry and providing a vision that gives meaning to the work we do everyday.

"Cengage takes care of its employees"

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Cengage promotes a healthy work-life balance and truly cares about its employees. Every day I feel like a valued part of my team. The on-boarding process was exceptionally thorough and convenient. Most importantly: I love the work that I do and feel incredibly fortunate to have been hired into my position.

Cons

Truly, I have encountered no negative aspects of working for Cengage.

"Refreshing Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your work/life balance is a priority here, which is a nice change from most companies. Vacation, sick, and even volunteer time is available and easy to use. It's even encouraged to take short breaks throughout the day to keep you effective. Everyone is nice, and no one obviously hates their job, which is a major contributor to the positive work environment.

Cons

Some positions in this job are so complex and diverse that it's difficult to know what to do, or how to find out. Everyone is extremely busy, so you can't always rely on asking others. Training is helpful, but still not quite effective. These are the only cons, because this company has been a great experience otherwise.

Advice to Management

Focus on training and bringing new hires up to speed more effectively, and in a shorter time-frame. When asking other employees how long it takes someone to "really understand" their position, the answer has been almost unanimously "1 year". This is not a desirable answer, considering a new employee may easily miss their bonus, a major part of their compensation, because of being under-prepared.

4. "Admissiopns"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My boss lets us work and doesnt micro manage. SO NICE!

Cons

There are state/fed bonus taxes :(...

Advice to Management

Keep it up! More monthly incentives

5. "Learning Consultant"

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Great team environment providing complete educational solutions from digital to books to service.

Cons

Need to continue to streamline services to create more effective and efficient employees.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage (Less than a year)

Pros

* low turn over
    * great benefits, incentives and recognition
    * mentally stimulating
    * insurance benefits available
    * recognized via accuracy, performance and attendance
    *opportunities for advancement
    * weekends off depending on shift hired upon
    * cafeteria within site, complimentary hydration stations
    * clean, productive environment
    * resources available to learn about company products/platforms
    *many employees have been here 15+ years
    * colleagues/supervisors are eager to assist

Cons

* training during new launch of products is delayed, but improving on this matter
    * attendance/ punctuality is accrued through tardiness point system
    * must attain 1 year of employment for consideration of promotion ( but makes sense in a retention/quality standpoint)

7. "Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cengage has great benefits for a recently graduated student such as a flexible schedule, travel, and benefits. I have been working at Cengage for 4 months and I am lucky to be working on an incredibly supportive team. I am lucky to call so many intelligent people my coworkers. I feel like I have learned so much about marketing and seen how passionate they are about the industry and the products we have. I also am very appreciative of upper-level management always including me in different meetings for learning opportunities. It's great to be exposed to different departments to see if I want to explore different career paths. The office really tries to create a fun working environment for their employees. Since Cengage is such a big company with offices everywhere it's great to make connections from across the country.

Cons

For a lower position, I feel like the workload often varies, slower days occur more than often. I think this is because upper-level positions are so buried in their own work they often don't have time to mentor. Sometimes the office can be really slow since people's work from home days vary.

Advice to Management

Focus on the growth of employees within the department.

"Kevin Stone Announcement"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative, visionary leadership -student focused-believes in what they do.

Cons

Letting Kevin Stone leave Cengage

Advice to Management

You are crazy to let Kevin Stone leave. He is a huge reason I work here. He created the culture we have at Cengage now. He is the reason we are as successful as we are. He has amazing future strategic vision. However, everyone knows that great plans alone are not the answer to problems. The key to successful plans, is really successful implementation. There are not many executives that have both vision and execution excellence and/or are willing to do the work of both. Although these 2 skills are really important, I find the main one is heart, it is a rare trait of executives (or many people now days) to have this-- where they care more about doing what they believe in. He is very easy to follow and trust as his words match his actions. This is the reason Cengage is successful.
    Please find a way to keep him at Cengage. It would be a huge loss for Cengage.

"Top Knotch"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you read through these reviews you'll find many are using the same language, and that's due to Cengage using their marketing teams to frequently send glowing reviews in a cynical attempt to manipulate perceptions. Most people I know are desperately looking to get out because the culture of blame and scapegoating is taking root. The remaining managers mostly are here due to attrition and they're quite adept at placing blame on others and scapegoating others to protect themselves. I would be very cautious in accepting any position from this organization or publishing in general.

Cons

Someone from cengage poses as a CEO and will offer a rebuttal in the reviews whenever anyone is close to telling the truth or giving real life thoughtful criticism. T

Advice to Management

Accept facts and go away.

10. "Good Company"

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

Benefits are real good and upper management is positive

Cons

Supervisor lacks experience in his role

Showing 1,124 of 1,188 reviews