Cover image for Cengage Group

Cengage Group CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen
1,109 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There are some great people at Cengage and the open work environment is collaborative and fast paced.(in 229 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and culture.(in 162 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and they truly root for you to build a collaborative team(in 126 reviews)
  • "The work life balance was great!(in 90 reviews)
  • "Immediate colleagues are great(in 62 reviews)
Cons
  • "poor management of employees(in 89 reviews)
  • "Increasingly low pay for sales..little chance for advancement unless you are part of the 'in crowd'(in 69 reviews)
  • "Upper management is arrogant, dismissive, and unprofessional.(in 61 reviews)
  • "Many of the managers have been here a long time so many of the people they manage are their friends.(in 58 reviews)
  • "low salaries compared to industry standard(in 55 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cengage Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years
    Featured Review

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Nov 30, 2022 - Director in Mason, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Like so many other reviewers I necessarily have to start with the culture and the people. This is a mission-based for-profit serious about transforming lives through the power of education. That might sound like a bunch of bull, but it's a living, breathing part of who we are. I see it championed each and every day in the focused efforts of colleagues who will go to extraordinary lengths for instructors, institutions and students. I see it in the way that colleagues support one another and pitch in to help. But the good work of thousands of employees wouldn't be possible without a strong vision and strategy. We are blessed to have a strong CEO, a great Executive Team, and awesome leaders at all levels of the organization. They have done an amazing job of evolving our strategy and the company in a way that has positioned us for continuing success and growth. There is no better time to be at Cengage Group than right now.

Cons

Downsides are hard to find. Education markets continue to evolve - so change is ever present. If you are looking to do the same thing for the next 10 years, you should probably look elsewhere. On the flip side, if you like new challenges, if you take satisfaction from delivering on high expectations, and if you want to change lives, then this is a great place to be! Lots of reviews mention compensation being a little tight - that's a product of the market headwinds we were working against in past years. With the company growing again, we're in a much better position to invest in people. Even with those challenges, I have always felt fairly compensated.

CEO

Thank you for leaving a review and for your more than 8 years of service. I believe that we have a strong mission to provide quality, digital learning experiences that help millions of students lead choice-filled lives. However, it is our dedicated employees who truly bring this mission to life. I am happy to hear the positive remarks about your colleagues and their efforts, as supporting one another helps strengthen our overall impact. I agree that the education markets continue to evolve as we keep up with the changing needs of learners. I understand that this can create unique challenges and requires our employees to be flexible and adopt a growth mindset. I appreciate your flexibility and willingness to take on new challenges. I am glad that you enjoy working here and I encourage you to reach out to me directly with better ways that we can support our employees. Best, Michael Hansen, CEO

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Create work environment on the tech side

Jan 27, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of remote work options Flexibility Internal mobility Professional development support

Cons

PTO could be better, but "wellness days" are a nice perk.

3. Join the Cengage Group team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Sad to leave, but it had become impossible to stay

Jan 21, 2023 - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, the chance to create content and products to be proud of, overall a pretty healthy culture. I never stopped respecting and valuing my coworkers because the company does attract truly quality people.

Cons

Almost non-stop reorgs and layoffs with very little acknowledgement of the impacts. Half my team was laid off, and then two months later the person who organized that layoff got laid off. Very low pay, with very low to no increases Ever increasing workload, with no relief in sight

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your more than 10 years of experience working here. I appreciate the positive remarks about our culture, products, and your colleagues. Regarding reorganizations, the education markets continue to transform. During the last decade, technology has played an increasingly central role in enabling and enhancing education and as a global education company, we have learned a great deal about what products and services are needed to meet the needs of today’s learners. I know change can be unsettling, and I am sorry to hear this was your experience. Employee health and wellbeing is a priority for Cengage Group. I appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your next endeavors. Best, Michael Hansen, CEO

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company

Jan 11, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gale, and Cengage as a whole, is a great company to work for. They value internal hires, have lots of ways to professionally develop, and are a mission driven organization. The work is interesting, and Gale in particular has a culture of realistic expectations and good work-life balance. All of Cengage has a fantastic culture of transparency. It's a great place to learn skills you want or break into a career you're interested in.

Cons

Like any bigger company, your experience could differ drastically based on your immediate manager, team, and colleagues. It's also a turbulent and sometimes declining industry, so re-orgs happen every 1 to 2 years, which sometimes are accompanied by layoffs. It's not the company for you if you are seeking the highest salaries, most secure industry, or are not comfortable with a shifting landscape of business priorities.

Cengage Group Response

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate your experience, I appreciate the positive remarks about Gale, and Cengage Group as a whole. It’s great to hear that you find your work interesting, that you are able to achieve realistic expectations, and that you have found a healthy work-life balance. I appreciate that reorganizations can be disruptive and are quite common in the publishing world. Gale has been transforming from a North American-centric library reference publisher to a global provider of learning and research solutions. This is no simple task. It has required us to center our operating model around customers and to shift resource from legacy product lines to growth engines. Thanks to a culture that has embraced change, Gale is growing market share and revenue which, in turn, has afforded us investments in people fueling that growth. Best, Paul Gazzolo, SVP and GM of Gale

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Healthy Work-Life Balance and Extraordinary Culture

Sep 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I believe that time is one of our most valuable assets, so work-life balance is important to me. It is clear that Cengage respects and values employees’ time by providing ample PTO, extra days off to prioritize mental and physical wellness, and volunteer days that can be used to support your local community. The people who work at Cengage are mission driven, I feel fulfilled knowing that the work we do is making a real difference for learners. Managers and team members encourage professional development and provide many learning opportunities. I particularly enjoy the Talent Live webinars where colleagues share their career journeys and offer advice for those looking to follow a similar path of advancement. I also appreciate the culture here, it’s nothing like I have ever experienced before. Leadership is honest and transparent. In fact, the CEO hosts a company-wide webinar each week and invites individuals from across the company to join him in an open discussion, sharing company updates or new initiatives. I find them to be very informative, it’s a great way to keep everyone in the loop.

Cons

Compensation is low, this is something that I have experienced myself and heard from many other employees in various departments. I think it’s worth reevaluating salaries across the board as inflation continues to rise. Wages we were paid two years ago no longer cover basic living costs and necessities.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your work experience. I agree that time is valuable; our employees are a top priority and we strive to create an environment where employees feel they can achieve work-life balance. Employee wellbeing is a priority and our annual wellness week is a great example of this; this year we will host a keynote speaker, post challenges in Slack, provide reflection exercises, and more. Regarding compensation, I recognize that more and more people are facing the impact of inflation. Our HR teams closely monitor the market to ensure we are staying competitive in our industry. If you have specific questions on your salary or salary range I encourage you to talk to your manager. Thank you for your feedback as we continue to improve. Best, Michael Hansen, CEO

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Highly Recommend Cengage

Jan 11, 2023 - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

So many pros but the people are the best - smart, creative, and just nice. I've look forward to collaboration with my co-workers. Over the years, I've made lifetime friends here. Also, the work-life balance is good - there is flexibility if you have a childcare issue or whatever life brings up that isn't according to plan. Great benefits, too.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased to hear that you are passionate about working here and that you appreciate your collaborative, creative colleagues. It’s also great to hear that you have been able to achieve a healthy work-life balance, as employee wellbeing is a top priority. Thank you for your more than 8 years of dedication to the company, feel free to reach out to me directly with more ways that we can support our employees. Best, Michael Hansen, CEO

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Incredibly caring company

Jan 11, 2023 - Team Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for several large multinational companies. This is the first company where I feel like a part of a team and I'm completely virtual. I have met maybe 5% of the people with whom I work. Everyone really cares about their team.

Cons

I want to see the Boston office! I hear it is amazing.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Cengage Group is an amazing work for!

Jan 11, 2023 - Learning Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive Company Culture Respectful Fun Competitive Pay Lots of Remote Jobs Career Direction Oriented

Cons

Some of the higher positions involves a change in demographic.

10. 5.0

Culture and Work Environment are Superb

Jan 11, 2023 - Associate Accountant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive work environment, with great culture imbedded Top executives are incredibly personable Remote first company

Cons

Some positions offer a low base salary for entry level jobs

11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Special Place

Sep 29, 2022 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cengage is truly a special place. I can't imagine being anywhere else. There's a commitment at all levels of the organization to impact learners with a focus on "education for employment". The culture values transparency and bringing your authentic self to work. Cengage is positioned to be a leader in their space, especially as we lead the way in terms of the digital learning experience. Lots of amazing people doing great work here. Benefits are top-notch.

Cons

The organization is extremely dynamic. In order to fluorish here, you really have to be someone who embraces change and can pivot easily. If you like more consistency and stability, this isn't the place for you. Some employees take the "bring your authentic self to work" a bit too far and use company tools (slack) and large forums to express their personal views on topics that have no direct relationship to our business (ie. political views). A very small population of employees have very loud voices and it can be pretty distracting at times. Management has recently set a new tone on what's acceptable and it has improved a little bit. Thank you, your "silent majority".

CEO

Thank you for reflecting on your experience at Cengage Group. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy working here and that you are passionate about our mission that puts learner’s needs first. As you are aware, the education industry is constantly changing, and I am proud that we have been at the forefront of that change by establishing ourselves as an education technology company. Embracing change can be challenging, but I appreciate your flexibility and willingness to adapt. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly with ways we can better support our employees in the future. Thank you for your more than 10 years of service. Best, Michael Hansen, CEO

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,978 Reviews
</>Embed

Cengage Group Reviews FAQs

Cengage Group has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 2,132 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at Cengage Group to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Cengage Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Cengage Group. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

85% of Cengage Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cengage Group 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Cengage Group to be culture, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Cengage Group Job Seekers