Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Cengage Reviews

Michael Hansen

1,061 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of transparency from upper management (in 70 reviews)

• sometimes lack work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I didn't know what "corporate culture" meant until I worked at Cengage."

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Truly a transparent work environment. From the CEO to the sales team, everyone has access to each other, is encouraged to provide honest feedback at all times, and is rewarded for having new ideas (even if... or especially if they are audacious and radical ones).

*The mission is clear and is felt throughout the organization. We work to promote student success. Period. The products we make are the WHAT, but our mission focuses on the WHY. We believe in education.

*Although Cengage has been through some difficult times in the past 5 or so years (as has the entire publishing industry), our focus and strategy are solid. We have a plan, execute it daily, and adjust quickly and as necessary to ensure success. We are not stuck in the past, but are moving forward with strategic vision and bold ideas. We are not afraid of, but rather empowered by the changes in this market.

*Employees are valued, supported, and rewarded for their hard work. I've never encountered a corporate "family" before Cengage... but this is just that.

*Parental leave policy is industry-leading for both mothers & fathers. Stellar.

Cons

The industry and the face of higher education are changing and with that comes a certain amount of uncertainty. Cengage has created a strong strategy for not only weathering the storm, but actually becoming stronger because of it. That said, there have been several re-orgs in the past 3-5 years in order to get the "right people in the right seats on the bus." But if you believe in the mission and work hard to be a valuable member on your team, you can feel very secure that you will have a place at Cengage.

2. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive, enthusiastic, energizing, flexibility, company car, surrounded by people who work hard. The help is there if you're willing work and ask for it.

Cons

Steep learning curve if you're new to the industry, long hours during the busy selling season.

3. "Innovative Company with enthusiastic, dedicated employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Lots of energy and excitement over Unlimited. Wants to do the right thing (change the culture, industry, student outcomes). A ton of talented and dedicated individuals.

Cons

Too many ideas at times makes focus difficult. Work-to-resource/investment ratio can be daunting. Very fast paced and constant change.

Advice to Management

Need more discipline and focus and hold a harder line on "what's-in/what's-out". Better process for prioritization.

4. "Nice location for SF office"

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Workplace is really good in SF

Cons

Do not have free lunch/breakfast. Organization overall is not flat.

5. "Great Company - Great People - Great Culture"

Current Employee - Director, Sales Learning and Development in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Director, Sales Learning and Development in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With the quickly changing "textbook" industry, one of the great things about Cengage is that we are constantly challenged for new and better ways to help our customers solve their issues related to education affordability, access, and student outcomes.
    Getting up for work everyday is easy when you feel that you are with a company that is sincerely working to make a difference in such an important industry as higher education.
    The people I have met at Cengage make the difference. There is very little company politics here and people genuinely try to support and help each other, which is refreshing in the rat-race that is the corporate world.
    Cengage is also very flexible--- the goal is productivity rather than where your office is, when you clock in/out, etc...
    It is fun being the first to market with Cengage Unlimited, our digital subscription of all our content. Watching the competition scrambling to catch up is pretty fun, as well.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that are major. Pay, perks, vacation, and benefits are fine and probably about average for a company this size.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope on being a leader in the industry and providing a vision that gives meaning to the work we do everyday.

6. "Lots of support"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture. Truly refreshing in that Cengage genuinely invests in its employees, encourages creativity, and promotes trailblazing.

Cons

I have yet to discover cons.

"C-Level Russian Roulette"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and managers on the tech side of things.

Cons

The direction of the company changes with the wind. The company has decided to devalue design and user experience. C-Level turnover happens so often nothing ever gets done from a strategy standpoint.

Advice to Management

Product, Design and Technology need to do a better job managing up to the C-level and VPs so the company can stop becoming such a feature factory.

"Forward Thinking"

Current Employee - Production Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Production Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, always pushing forward with an eye to our customers.

Cons

Too much work for too little staff.

Advice to Management

Add staff to allow thoughtful and creative work instead of burying us under an avalanche or work,

"Decent"

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

Great people. On board with innovating.

Cons

Job insecurity. Lack of transparency from upper management.

"Changing Industry"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with - very team oriented.

Cons

Very stressful industry-spread very thin to cover many disciplines and products and it feels like you do many things mediocre instead of a few things really well. Pay seems low for how much work/effort is put out. With challenges in the industry, it is tough, even with new subscription model. Higher ed space can be challenging to move to digital age. I've heard of many reorgs this company has gone through and anticipate more in the near future. I had reservations getting into this industry and there has not been any sort of confidence instilled to quell my reservations.

Showing 1,061 of 1,116 reviews