Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9

1,099 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Shifting of upper management as well as titles for positions is frequent" (in 70 reviews)

• "sometimes lack work-life balance" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company - Great People - Great Culture"

Current Employee - Director, Sales Learning and Development in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Director, Sales Learning and Development in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With the quickly changing "textbook" industry, one of the great things about Cengage is that we are constantly challenged for new and better ways to help our customers solve their issues related to education affordability, access, and student outcomes.
    Getting up for work everyday is easy when you feel that you are with a company that is sincerely working to make a difference in such an important industry as higher education.
    The people I have met at Cengage make the difference. There is very little company politics here and people genuinely try to support and help each other, which is refreshing in the rat-race that is the corporate world.
    Cengage is also very flexible--- the goal is productivity rather than where your office is, when you clock in/out, etc...
    It is fun being the first to market with Cengage Unlimited, our digital subscription of all our content. Watching the competition scrambling to catch up is pretty fun, as well.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that are major. Pay, perks, vacation, and benefits are fine and probably about average for a company this size.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope on being a leader in the industry and providing a vision that gives meaning to the work we do everyday.

2. "Be free birdies"

Current Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All these glowing reviews are not real, they're pushed out by marketing in a manipulative effort to gas light the public in believing that everything is okay.

Cons

Everything is not okay, many product teams have been decimated, many are barely functional.

Advice to Management

Just stop.

"Good people, culture, and product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at Cengage for more than a year now. You work with a lot of really smart and genuine people that are passionate about the company and the industry. The leadership team has really been investing in the culture and trying to make this a great place to work, and they’ve largely succeeded. The company is innovative and promotes creativity and taking risks, a perfect example of this is their new annual subscription based service, Cengage Unlimited. It is very fast paced and you will work hard, but there is still a work life balance and most departments are flexible when it comes to your schedule and working remotely when you need to.

Cons

As with any large company there are some politics involved. In some departments, there is hesitation around bringing in people from outside the industry, but this is slowly changing as the company is being more open to people from outside the industry with new ideas.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! One thing I can think of is that, while our benefits are good all around, no one should be starting out with 2 weeks of vacation. Everyone should start with at least 3.

4. "23 and counting..."

Current Employee - Senior Support Manager in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Support Manager in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast pace environment, never gets boring or stagnant. People are amazing and show a level of dedication that is truly rare.
    Truly a team environment, everyone working together to achieve a common goal.

Cons

The workload can often outweigh the staff. When you're fully vested in providing the best to your customers it can be discouraging when you're not able to provide the response time you're dedicated to at all times.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage employees at all levels. Ideas and breakthroughs are often found during collaborative sessions where varying levels of employee roles are involved. This combined with customer feedback helps to provide the full picture of how new/existing products are impacting our markets.

5. "Great company and role"

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Product Manager

I have been working at Cengage (Less than a year)

Pros

- Exciting time to be a part of Cengage with the rollout of Cengage Unlimited, an industry disruptor
    - Flexible work/life balance
    - Competitive compensation
    - Great management in my organization
    - Great corporate culture, lots of fun activities scheduled regularly
    - Moving to a brand new office in Seaport soon!

(I know this sounds like I am probably someone from HR writing this, but I promise I'm not!)

Cons

- There seems to be a decent amount of turnover
    - Some siloing between different parts of the organization

6. "Cengage Review from Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cengage has a wonderful work environment. The people, culture, and benefits make the morning commute exciting. Though the role is challenging every single day, the pay-off is absolutely worth is as I've continued to grow as a professional and learn the ins and outs of the industry, marketing, and corporate structure.

Cons

This position and company in general hires people based on their drive, energy, and potential. Training is highly lacking at times but the expectation to succeed is a constant. If this is something that does not intimidate you and you have a problem-solving attitude then I have no doubt you will thrive here. Hand-holding is not a strong-suit at Cengage but for those looking to grow in their careers I see that as a positive.

7. "Fantastic Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great casual work environment, a lot of team building and events. I feel like my opinion is valued, and have felt that way since I started here three years ago. Many opportunities for promotion, in many different areas.

Cons

It is a corporation, so they do have reorganizations at times, and those can be stressful. During busy times, work/life balance is harder to maintain, but that's mostly my fault, because I don't know how to turn work off!

Advice to Management

Keep making your employees feel valued and give more responsibility to those who want (and can handle) it. Part of the reason that I love working here is because of the people and environment.

8. "Love my job"

Pros

Great culture, perks, compensation. My manager is awesome.

Cons

A fair amount of attrition seems normal and expected

9. "Amazing company, amazing people and a fantastic place to work"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cengage is always putting it's people and it's stakeholders, students, above everything else. They see the value in not only what they are creating to help students learn and how important it is, but how equally important the people who help create the products are.

Cons

Limited cons, everyone really works together as a team and is always supportive.

10. "Customer Support"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Florence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent place to work, most of the time.

Cons

Abysmal pay raises should be much improved.

Advice to Management

Get with the program and pay Customer Support a much more livable wage, especially for experience, dedication and expertise, please.

Showing 1,099 of 1,159 reviews