Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

Cengage CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management who only care about KPIs and metrics (in 65 reviews)

• sometimes lack work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I didn't know what "corporate culture" meant until I worked at Cengage."

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Truly a transparent work environment. From the CEO to the sales team, everyone has access to each other, is encouraged to provide honest feedback at all times, and is rewarded for having new ideas (even if... or especially if they are audacious and radical ones).

*The mission is clear and is felt throughout the organization. We work to promote student success. Period. The products we make are the WHAT, but our mission focuses on the WHY. We believe in education.

*Although Cengage has been through some difficult times in the past 5 or so years (as has the entire publishing industry), our focus and strategy are solid. We have a plan, execute it daily, and adjust quickly and as necessary to ensure success. We are not stuck in the past, but are moving forward with strategic vision and bold ideas. We are not afraid of, but rather empowered by the changes in this market.

*Employees are valued, supported, and rewarded for their hard work. I've never encountered a corporate "family" before Cengage... but this is just that.

*Parental leave policy is industry-leading for both mothers & fathers. Stellar.

Cons

The industry and the face of higher education are changing and with that comes a certain amount of uncertainty. Cengage has created a strong strategy for not only weathering the storm, but actually becoming stronger because of it. That said, there have been several re-orgs in the past 3-5 years in order to get the "right people in the right seats on the bus." But if you believe in the mission and work hard to be a valuable member on your team, you can feel very secure that you will have a place at Cengage.

2. "Inside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive management, reasonable workload, great tools to learn and great sales tools. Annual company trips. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Just your typical office politics that you will run into in any workplace.

3. "Good company"

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Relaxed, yet professional, environment Met some good people.

Cons

Pay leaves something to be desired, but not terrible

"Learning Consultant"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, lenient management, great people to work with, great earning potential, great job to start at out of college.

Overall, I enjoy everyday I spend working at Cengage (Independence, KY)

Cons

Pay may not be the most competitive, but the pros outweigh this con

Advice to Management

More organized training programs

5. "Sr. Accounting Soecialist"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Spe in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Spe in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible 37.5 hour work weeks

Cons

Larger companies sometimes too many to report to

6. "Stable & ambitious company"

Current Employee - Publisher in Meriden, CT
    Current Employee - Publisher in Meriden, CT

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cengage is a large company. Benefits package is strong.
    Cengage is filled with very, very smart people. They have to be since they work in the higher education space providing educational content to university classrooms and libraries.
    Telecommuting is an option for the right position. They get the reality of productivity from a remote location.
    Having struggled with past financial challenges, leadership has a much clearer picture of what needs doing to succeed.
    There appear to be realistic expectations in place with respect to fiscal performance rather than the sometime science fiction-thinking that can infect sales goal assignments.

Cons

Large corporation always present a certain amount of bureaucracy. I haven't seen terribly much of it so far, but that doesn't mean it isn't present.

Advice to Management

The test of a company's ability to manage challenges--both internal and external--is 1) how far in advance management can see trouble spots, 2) how smartly it can address them in a timely manner, and 3) how well, when confronted with a shortfall against realistically projected bottom-line/top-line targets, it makes and delivers with grace and wisdom the cost-cutting decisions that must happen. I've seen too many companies cut off noses to spite faces because they made short-term decisions rather than structurally sound long-term ones.

7. "19 yrs and counting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working for National Geographic Learning, a part of Cengage for 19 years. During that time the company has continued to evolve and grow in new and interesting ways. It has a culture that supports ownership, independence, and a chance to make a difference, which has kept me engaged and motivated. We've been allowed to focus on innovation and quality, to look longer term than just this year or next quarter's bottom line. My business unit has a long term management team that leads with a clear vision that is easy to buy into. With a team of people who are equally committed to the same goals, we've built our brand from new-kid-on-the-street to the fastest growing ELT brand in the world. It's exciting to be a part of it.

Cons

We're just a small part of the overall Cengage corporation, sometimes the systems that are created for the overall company aren't a perfect fit for our needs. We figure out workarounds and keep moving.

"Growing in right direction but painfully"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are the best part of the company. I had an awesome team that spanned both business and technical departments. We worked as a team. Overall everyone is will to pitch in when needed to meet corporate goals which are very clearly communicated and supported.

Cons

There is a goal to focus on digital products but executive management seems to have forgotten that the key is to have a solid or at least semi-solid plan in place first. There is a lot of churns regarding priorities and they are bringing in consultants to fill executive roles. These folks bring in a different mindset which at least on the outside and to the lower ranks appears chaotic and erratic at best.

Advice to Management

Get your ducks in a row before shaking everything up. The ranks will get behind you if they feel you've taken the time to think through what you are doing AND have the right people in place to guide the process. Cengage is too big to go bleeding edge all the time or act like a startup. Also, we have some good former BCG employees in our ranks. But we also have some that can't seem to get the consultant tactics out of their blood. These folks are creating "seagull management" situations. Reign them in and you'll see better compliance and cooperation downstream.

"Solid Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allowed remote work, decent compensation & benefits, good atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Too many reorganizations while I worked there created an unstable culture that ultimately hurt employee morale.

10. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse projects. well compensated. some are using latest technology

Cons

a bit of messy. sometimes lack work-life balance

Showing 971 of 1,018 reviews