KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee

Journeys Co-Manager: Genesco should be ashamed of the way they run their company.

Dec 7, 2009 - Co-Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you like retail, the job in itself is fine. The discount is nice, but it is limited (which they forget to mention) so forget about holiday shopping. Put me in a room full of shoes and tell me to talk to new people every day about shoes and fashion and there's no way I could be unhappy!... (Unfortunately, Genesco found a way to make me unhappy.)

Cons

I've never been so miserable working for a company in my entire life. Which is really sad because I like the actual job and the people there. The company just isn't fair to their employees. I made 140 a week plus 4% commission on everything I sold. If that's not bad enough, the company makes the part-time hourly-paid employees reach sales goals too. Since they are paid hourly, they don't make commission on what they sell (or if they do it's very very small). So by making the hourly employees reach sales goals too, Genesco has found a way to take some sales away from co-managers and managers, so it's less commission they have to pay them. They also over schedule management and under schedule hourly part-timers. Since co-managers get a base pay of just 140 a week, the company overworks them, so they don't have to pay as much hourly wages to the part-timers. So management is exhausted, overworked and underpaid, while part-timers are starved for hours. They also flat out lied to me. When they hired me, they told me 45-50 hour weeks, so I accepted the job. I am working 55-65+ hour weeks... all for a tiny paycheck. I get one day off a week. I can't visit my parents and family who live out of state, I am not allowed to request a day off. I don't get compensated fairly for overtime as well. I met and exceeded my sales goals, and when I got my paycheck it was like I was practically working for free considering the amount of hours I worked. The paycheck (even well you sell a lot) just isn't worth the hours.

Continue reading
    21 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Environment!

Aug 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible environment - Generous PTO - Great leadership

Cons

- Low pay - Lack of advanced technology

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee

LGBTQ company

Oct 5, 2022 - Customer Service Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

great benefits, nice offices the bonus is a huge plus

Cons

All it takes is 1 bad director to ruin a department. Unless you are a white male or gay/trans you will never get promoted

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Genesco.

Genesco Job Seekers Also Viewed