IBM - The only pro of working for IBM, working remotely, is gone. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"The only pro of working for IBM, working remotely, is gone."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kingston, NY
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kingston, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at IBM are wonderful.

Cons

I have been working for IBM for over 20 years. There have been layoffs every year, so there has never been any real job security. I have been waiting for years for when it would be my time to get "RA'ed" - nice word for laid off.

I enjoyed my team, and I worked from home, so I stayed at IBM, even though it grew increasingly stressful. My manager actually told me that he didn't like to have female employees work for him, he "didn't like the drama."

Well, after all of these years, all of the remote employees in my area have been told that they must physically be in a lab (San Jose for me). We have 30 days to make a decision. If we don't relocate to San Jose, then we will have 60 days notice, and then will have to resign, since this is a condition of employment.

I feel like I've been punched in the gut. But why am I surprised? IBM has been taking away benefits from it's employees every year. I am sick. There is absolutely no respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

None .. how can you live with yourself?

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Great for working parents"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Editor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at IBM for 14 years out of my home. IBM's liberal work from home culture has made it possible for me to have a career and also be at home for my children.

Cons

IBM is such a large company that making real change can sometimes take a very long time or not happen at all.

Advice to Management

Managers need to get assessed by employees. I had 5 managers over the course of 14 years, and 2 of them could have used some improvement. I would have liked to have a chance to provide constructive feedback for their growth.

2. "Senior Recruiter"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Virtual work, thorough benefits package

Cons

Large organization can be a challenge to navigate for promotional opportunity - must be willing to self navigate all available opportunities and resources