Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The only pro of working for IBM, working remotely, is gone.

May 24, 2016 - Senior Software Engineer in Kingston, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people at IBM are wonderful.

Cons

I have been working for IBM for over 20 years. There have been layoffs every year, so there has never been any real job security. I have been waiting for years for when it would be my time to get "RA'ed" - nice word for laid off. I enjoyed my team, and I worked from home, so I stayed at IBM, even though it grew increasingly stressful. My manager actually told me that he didn't like to have female employees work for him, he "didn't like the drama." Well, after all of these years, all of the remote employees in my area have been told that they must physically be in a lab (San Jose for me). We have 30 days to make a decision. If we don't relocate to San Jose, then we will have 60 days notice, and then will have to resign, since this is a condition of employment. I feel like I've been punched in the gut. But why am I surprised? IBM has been taking away benefits from it's employees every year. I am sick. There is absolutely no respect for their employees.

Continue reading
    10 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Depends on which group/location you work in

Oct 23, 2021 - Hardware Developer in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

IBM Almaden Research Center was a great place to work. There are a lot of intellectually stimulating activities available for an employee to get involved in. Also, the long timers seem to really enjoy working here.

Cons

How well an employee enjoys the working experience in this company depends on the group. I have heard not very positive reviews about the work situation in some other groups in the company. Also, at this time (2021), the company is not dominating the computing world as it did during its heyday (80s?). This reflects in its stock valuation not being as attractive as some of its competitors.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Take pride at what you do and deliver on day-to-day

Oct 22, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work to show-case your talent, learn, mentor and ton of opportunities to deliver as a team to create many successful stories. From my experience, it’s a certainly a joy ride to work at IBM, just be limitless and don’t be shy extending hand/asking for any help.

Cons

You could be lost if you keep extending hand to help others as you'll be pulled in by many directions. Focusing on your deliverables and work balancing is key, otherwise you're lost in the pacific ocean.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about IBM.