IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

32,762 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"BEST COMPANY in market"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working culture and environment is good here. Freedom to employees and facility of work from home.

Cons

Lagging in behind free services to employees.

2. "Software Engineer"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, Great problems to solve, Flexible Schedule, Good work/life balance

Cons

Low pay, Too many managers, Too much office politics

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

4. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, internal education (Think40) is fantastic, good benefits

Cons

Cannot think of any real con

5. "Fantastic employees in an uncertain time"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent coworkers, passionate technologists, growing market segments

Cons

Uncertain leadership direction, continual account alignment changes, lack of team building

Advice to Management

It is okay to vary the message and the go-to-market strategy but provide clients with a constant account management presence

6. "IBM Consultant"

Pros

Highest Salary in Indian market

Cons

mind your business. No Cons.

7. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM provides many resources available to you regardless what job you may have. IBM has global locations, wherever you travel to, you can find colleagues there who can lend a helping hand. IBM has good managers who normally are eager to help to make you successful. IBM has increasingly become Open Source software driving development company, its services and technical skills have been up to date in every area. IBM provides relatively flexible working hours so that employees can have their own working habbit to be very productive.

Cons

Since the company is very big, in some cases the communications between leaders and workers may not be as good as it can be.

Advice to Management

Have great sense of the market and take us to the most desirable/hottest industries and make developers learn the most advanced technologies so that people become very confident in their skills and company become so wanted due to its people

8. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A true equal opportunity employer. A diverse range of role and opportunities.

Cons

Very large, can be slow make decisions. Tends to have ways of working a bit out of the main stream.

Advice to Management

Be more open to current ways of working

9. "perfect work-life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work life balance is good and the distance to commute

Cons

food is a big minus for everyone ...very less options

10. "Computer Technician"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Excellent hours, 3 day work week. Training classes are available online

Cons

Not many local jobs unless it's at a clients site.

Showing 32,762 of 35,046 reviews