IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

11,381 Ratings

30,439 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 900 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 433 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

"Don't Forget It's a Large Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of people like to make the blanket statement that just because one's experience at a company was bad, then the company itself is bad. Yes, there have been horror stories about layoffs/RAs and out-of-date tech and annoying in-house software, but just remember that with how many teams and employees IBM has, your (potential) experience won't be like that of others.

For example, I have:
    -seniors and managers who care deeply about my professional development
    -a modern tech stack, where almost nothing is internal (I'm looking at you, IBM Verse)
    -amazing work flexibility so I can balance my personal life and my work.

For my priorities, my position at IBM is exactly what I needed for who I am and where I am in my life right now.

Cons

-Everyone has a lingering worry that they're going to get laid off, which isn't healthy for the morale or our work ethic.

Advice to Management

As a whole, the company's morale and image would benefit from being more transparent about their future intentions of their workforce, not just their products.

"IBM is actively trying to be cooler, still gets picked second to last for kickball though"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Despite co-location, most managers do honor and encourage a work life balance. In addition, significant investment is being made in Agile spaces (tech friendly, cutting edge work environments).

A lot of social opportunity with extra curricular activities sponsored by IBM and managers. Mac books - an over looked perk in my opinion. Nice to have a new machine every three years worth $2k+. Relaxed dress code at most locations - you will see everything from full suit to star wars t shirts and flip flops (depending which department you are walk ng through).

Healthcare is very affordable and has comprehensive options (vision, dental, etc.). There is employee stock purchase plan to buy at discount of 5 points, counsel from Fidelity wealth consultants are included and can be called to speak on all aspects of your portfolio, IBM provides 5% match on 401k.

It is encouraged to change roles every 2-3 years. You will likely not be stuck doing the same thing year over year. There is plenty of room to develop a broad set of experiences over a tenure. This is possible with a strong network.

Cons

Bureaucratic. IBM is a large ecosystem. It is VERY political here. You need to plant your relationships carefully and be knowledgeable of the spider web of management and interactions. If you are good at playing the game, you will be fine. If you think you do not need to play the game, you are mistaken. Tons of energy is wasted by navigating the internal politics.

Raises. Incremental at best. The bonus at the end of the year might get you groceries for the week. It is embarrassing. Promotions are not as common as they used to be with attempts to flatten the org. Just because you are a top performer, do not expect to be recognized monetarily for it.

Senior and Middle Management is married to IBM. Weekend emails and late working nights are common - but usually not necessary. Boils back down to political stigma - always testing your commitment.

Death by meetings. Despite trying to be more agile, calendars fill up with interlocks, stand ups, status calls, 1:1s, brainstorming sessions, etc. Forcing people to get real work done outside of work hours. "What did you do today? 3 hours of email and messaging, 6 hours of meetings, about to start on my projects now."

Advice to Management

Award top performers. Do not give special privilege to individuals because their dad works here or because they are in the same BRG as you. Promote people that are making a difference - your true top talent. Otherwise - do not be surprised when your top talent goes down the street because Lenovo or Cisco will pay them 10% more for the same job.

4. "Review"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Organized company and lots of opportunity to learn many new things

Cons

Too much involvement of leadership into a small small things

5. "Best Place to work!!"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Work pressure is less and good space to develop knowledge and do certifications

Cons

bonus and hike takes long time to go

6. "National - Software Client Leader"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bringing new technology and cutting edge R&D services to market

Cons

Slow to some keys markets, e.g. Cloud, so currently down-sizing and cost cutting

Advice to Management

Greater engagement with clients, vs. strict adherence to spreadsheets

7. "Consultant"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Great first job, and amazing learning opportunities.

Cons

Not much direction out the gate, but you find your way

8. "IT Specialist"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Brazil, KY
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Brazil, KY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working conditions and good learning opportunities

Cons

Lot's of bureaucracy. No work-life balance

9. "Intern"

Pros

work stress is low
    meaningful work
    IBM does a good job of selecting interns so that they mesh well.
    tons of learning opportunities through their online classes.
    compensation is decent but not like other tech companies

Cons

Not enough intern programs/activities.
    Work culture is lacking- IBM is still traditional with their work culture. Not a fun engaging place to work for as an intern.

Advice to Management

Treat interns well if you want them to come back full-time. Create better work culture

10. "Best Environment to work in"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

The diverse culture and work experience is parallel to none.

Cons

Sometimes it takes very long to find the right person

Showing 30,439 of 32,481 reviews