IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

14,151 Ratings

36,382 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "At times difficult work life balance" (in 1011 reviews)

• "Long Hours suck sometimes but not too bad" (in 474 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"BEST COMPANY in market"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working culture and environment is good here. Freedom to employees and facility of work from home.

Cons

Lagging in behind free services to employees.

2. "Joining the winning team @ IBM"

Current Employee - CyberSecurity Specialist - Security Solutions Architect in Madison, WI

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent teamwork, great leadership, incredible opportunity, Fantastic place to work!

Cons

Trying to stay business focused - while still executing on all of the required professional enablement IBM provides (which BTW - is and can be viewed as a pro as well)! I have accomplished 14 Security certifications!

3. "Got Lucky with a Great Team and Non-Legacy Product"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time of my employment, IBM was providing a 3-month bootcamp for new hires, where they essentially walk you through how to design for an enterprise company. I felt extremely fortunate to have started my professional career with this program, as it taught you how to collaborate, organize, present, and execute outside of a college context.

IBM's Design program also cares deeply about company culture, and hire people that I found to be some of the best to work with in my professional career. They understand that the ability to collaborate is far more important than talent alone.

Additionally, I found extensive room to grow during my career at IBM. My boss allowed us to create our own programs, such as "learning sessions" to learn, for example, Github from our front end dev, and attend conferences. Teammates who stayed on after I left were also promoted to leads to reward their growth and contributions. If you find the right team within the company, the opportunities were invaluable.

Cons

Retention. Unfortunately, the structure of this bootcamp led to lofty expectations of work environments outside of the Austin office. I gave such a high rating because I personally was very fortunate to be part of a great product we have a lot of personal control in, and saw through from research to launch. However, it really comes down to the team and the office location. The design program is large, and every experience I've heard has varied greatly, along with how long they stayed on at IBM.

4. "Project Executive"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, excellent people. There's a sense that the company is coming around and some of the strategic shifts the company has made are starting to pay off.

Cons

Hierarchical "big traditional company" issues plague IBM and inhibit the ability to keep up with the competition.

Advice to Management

Review your corporate policies and processes. Change them to reflect the Agile company that you state you are. Your employees already act accordingly where they're allowed to do so. Empower your account teams to make decisions without 4 levels of management.

5. "IBM Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, hard-working employees. Interesting work.

Cons

Unclear corporate strategy, cloud strategy is challenged.

Advice to Management

Increase investment in innovation and clarify cloud strategy.

6. "Keep Learning and Moving to Stay Employed"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

So many opportunities for learning, and working with awesome people.

Cons

Continual threat of layoffs created a culture of demoralized employees.

7. "Dynamic first year"

Current Employee - Administrator Cardiology PACS/RIS in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator Cardiology PACS/RIS in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing in the 21st century and working for the beyond.
    Learning from past mistakes and making an effort to not remove personnel but to get them in areas where they can best help IBM.
    AI and cognitive healthcare is the future and a much needed one, IBM has fast tracked that.
    Multiple opportunities at IBM and it is not the same as 5 years ago.

Cons

Some areas is to inform the applicant their short falls, and a note (email or other media), to inform them they are no longer a candidate. This holds true for all companies as it dissuades the individual from pursuing a new position or a transfer within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the people who work there (new and old alike), as they will ultimately be the future of IBM. Unfortunately, you can see other companies feel they don't need to as "they know best", but, the pulse is in the workers.

"Work Hard and Play Hard"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a place where you can work hard and see the results of your work and be recognized for your efforts. This year's recognition award was hosted in one of the finest hotels in Punta Cana and IBM made all of there feel extremely special. I've never had as much support by colleagues willing to help me than at IBM. You are working among the brightest, most innovative people willing to assist you. IBM is a company that has reinvented itself so many times to not only remain relevant but to maintain it's leadership position over well over 100 years.

Cons

Sometimes the large size of the organization can get in the way of itself. All the help I've noted in the pros sometimes comes at a price where we have too many hands in things.

Advice to Management

Invest more in younger education and youth programs, so that the next generation of individuals are already very familiar with IBM's innovative solutions and past successes. We seem to be the best kept secret.

9. "Analyst"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Good culture; Career opportunities for advancement; Great internal and third-party education; Big company structure but small company feel once settled in; Work from home is possible for many roles

Cons

Aging internal tools and infrastructure; Constant state of change but not always in the right direction or for the right reasons with too many key individuals being laid off each quarter.

Advice to Management

Change is needed at all levels of IBM to effectively execute the CEO's vision. Business Units are more focused on growing/hoarding revenue within their respective organization that they miss opportunities where working together and sharing revenue will result in greater rewards for both IBM and IBM Clients.

10. "Software Engineering manager"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Flexibility of work
    Good team work
    Great managemen

Cons

Not great compensation
    need better roadmap for cloud BU
    Need diversity in the age group

Showing 36,382 of 38,987 reviews