IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

11,328 Ratings

30,334 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 896 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 432 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

"Don't Forget It's a Large Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of people like to make the blanket statement that just because one's experience at a company was bad, then the company itself is bad. Yes, there have been horror stories about layoffs/RAs and out-of-date tech and annoying in-house software, but just remember that with how many teams and employees IBM has, your (potential) experience won't be like that of others.

For example, I have:
    -seniors and managers who care deeply about my professional development
    -a modern tech stack, where almost nothing is internal (I'm looking at you, IBM Verse)
    -amazing work flexibility so I can balance my personal life and my work.

For my priorities, my position at IBM is exactly what I needed for who I am and where I am in my life right now.

Cons

-Everyone has a lingering worry that they're going to get laid off, which isn't healthy for the morale or our work ethic.

Advice to Management

As a whole, the company's morale and image would benefit from being more transparent about their future intentions of their workforce, not just their products.

"Senior Manager"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide area of technology to explore while remaining in the same company where your internal network can become quite robust. Comprehensive skills development courses and opportunities.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging. Constant cycles of reductions make for a high stress environment as a manager.

Advice to Management

Revamp the archaic layoff system to something that is more friendly. The strategy to move everyone to the office has led to reductions of critical and mature skills.

"SW Sales"

Former Employee - Software Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Software Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits for employees

Cons

Upper management does not know how to sell

5. "Been good so far"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Training is a great asset, environment, team structure

Cons

Pay is low, IBM tools are lack luster

Advice to Management

Raise pay -- Let your technical guru's help

6. "Departed IBMer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees often have fierce loyalty to IBM. Sometimes it deserves it; it attempts to be a value-based company on the whole. It has continued to lead in technology for over a century, which is rare.

Cons

IBM can take the talent and loyalty it has (both from within and from customers) for granted at times. It discovered it could lay off its employees in the 1990's and it has gotten carried away with the practice. Colleagues have been saying "it's not fun anymore" lately.

Advice to Management

Take better care of all your employees; not just the stars.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Good environment, great co-workers, independent work.

Cons

Nothing so far. Great place to be.

8. "Digital Marketing Manager"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Great company with a very collaborative culture and belief in training and developing employees. Flexible work schedules and locations.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations and moving up requires political savvy

Advice to Management

More stability in roles and responsibilities

9. "Was good fun"

Former Employee - Busd in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Busd in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money nice people

Cons

Long hours like everwhere elses

Advice to Management

O

10. "Software developer"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

healthy work culture, well paid job, good learning opportunities

Cons

at times rigid team members might create problems

Showing 30,334 of 32,355 reviews