IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

12,503 Ratings

32,819 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • sometimes work-life balance gets out of order (in 953 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 451 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"BEST COMPANY in market"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working culture and environment is good here. Freedom to employees and facility of work from home.

Cons

Lagging in behind free services to employees.

2. "RSM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a lot of experienced researchers forming great teams

Cons

infrastructure seems to be falling behind

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

4. "Working Env."

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Work life balance is achievable. WFH is based on project you will get

Cons

Salary Increment is very miserable. Only at the time of joining you can bargain for package.

5. "Stable"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

I love the flexibility of my job. I am able work on the newest technologies and the stability is fantastic.

Cons

IBM is kind of a stagnating company. It's well known among us, and these forays into extremely competitive waters are kind of hit or miss.

Advice to Management

It wouldn't be a bad idea to create programs that help your newer generation of hires integrate into the workplace smoothly

6. "Porfolio Cloud and SaaS Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Portfolio Cloud and SaaS Sales Representative in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM as a company has been transforming itself over the last four years. They have invested a lot of time and money into making the world a better place around Watson Healthcare,

Cons

Because IBM is transforming and fighting to stay up with this volital industry. A lot of shuffling occurs annually to our Global Sales Teams, which could lead to clients frustration around loyalty.

Advice to Management

Continue to believe and put efforts in your Global Sales Team, Innovation, Watson and never stop encouraging patents to be created.

7. "School in learning"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent training, growth, constant changes in technology, new challenges and goals to meet

Cons

Not flexible to changes in decisions

Advice to Management

Advice, installation and configuration to the management of the companies.

8. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, internal education (Think40) is fantastic, good benefits

Cons

Cannot think of any real con

9. "Software Engineer"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, Great problems to solve, Flexible Schedule, Good work/life balance

Cons

Low pay, Too many managers, Too much office politics

10. "HR"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Great opportunities and place to work

Cons

Not one at this moment

Showing 32,819 of 35,110 reviews