IBM 25,817 Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
9,051 Ratings

25,817 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 778 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 390 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major ... More

2. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Development Engineer

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and managers at my location are excellent. Solid starting pay for a new grad hire. The work has been challenging and rewarding. Semi-flexible schedule, it's no big deal if I need to leave an hour early for an appointment, etc.

Cons

Workload can be inconsistent. At times it is expected/necessary to stay late or come in on the weekend to meet deadlines.

3. "Good organization to work"

Former Employee - Team Lead
    Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work from home, opportunity to grow

Cons

Compensation and appraisals part is annoying.

5. "Good Company"

Pros

Friendly people, big company, Laid back

Cons

Low salaries, no good work life balance

Advice to Management

No advice

6. "Application Developer"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, excellent teams

Cons

Compensation could have been better.

7. "IBM is a great company and employees are treated better here compared to other similar companies."

Current Employee - Hardware Verification Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Hardware Verification Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Ability to work from home when necessary and access to training to build knowledge and skills.

Cons

Lack of discipline and undocumented work flows and lack of well defined business processes.

Advice to Management

Work with employees to develop business processes that spand organizations to minimize inefficiencies and increase quality.

8. "sales & business development"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ability to set path and establish new market. Strict sales discipline and process to evolve a pipeline into sales, etc.

Cons

slow to react or change course in case of failure. limited autonomy to manager t make decision and own responsibilities.

9. "Excellent choice for Employment"

Current Employee - Entry Level Security Delivery Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Entry Level Security Delivery Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All employees are friendly and helpful. IBM really strives to find what you want to do and then it tries to get you all you need to realize those goals. IBM only seeks positive attitudes and a hunger for learning, so give it a shot even if you feel under qualified.

Cons

Fresh new hire and so far I haven't seen anything I don't like.

Advice to Management

Culture is everything! Keep up all you are doing!

10. "Working at IBM"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Community environment, Good for long-term, Can grow with the company, Lots of learning opportunities - Overall, your job is what you make out of it.

Cons

Some projects are not as fast-paced.

11. "Not good at Pay!"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Well structured organization.
    nice to work in the comapny

Cons

Well structured organization- no much growth

Showing 25,817 of 27,414 reviews