IBM 25,796 Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
9,052 Ratings

25,796 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 778 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 390 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major ... More

2. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Development Engineer

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and managers at my location are excellent. Solid starting pay for a new grad hire. The work has been challenging and rewarding. Semi-flexible schedule, it's no big deal if I need to leave an hour early for an appointment, etc.

Cons

Workload can be inconsistent. At times it is expected/necessary to stay late or come in on the weekend to meet deadlines.

3. "Good Company to work with."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Good work culture,Many opportunity to learn new producrs,work life balance,

Cons

Low salary hike
    No other cons.For fresher its a good start

5. "IBM Review overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Work from Home, Good work culture, employee friendly, big brand, huge business domain and area

Cons

slow monetary growth if somebody stays for a long time

Advice to Management

No Advice

6. "The new IBM"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM is truly transforming into the cloud industry leader- combined with its cutting-edge Cognitive computing / AI work with Watson, it is an exciting time to be here.

Cons

It is a huge company, so the normal administrative layers/stuff/pain associated with working at a huge company is real.

Advice to Management

We will be looking for more great management leaders as we re-invent the company.

7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, Drive towards innovation, Opportunity to work at the bleeding edge technologies in the areas of Cognitive, Cloud, Analytics, Mobile, Security, Social, Machine learning, Blockchains, IoT to name a few. Supportive management at all levels.

Cons

General operational issues that any large scale company faces.

Advice to Management

Continue to build culture of innovation that matters to IBM's clients, Empower IBMers to go beyond comfort zone, to take calculated risks and accomplish greater good for IBM.

8. "IBM is a great company and employees are treated better here compared to other similar companies."

Current Employee - Hardware Verification Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Hardware Verification Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Ability to work from home when necessary and access to training to build knowledge and skills.

Cons

Lack of discipline and undocumented work flows and lack of well defined business processes.

Advice to Management

Work with employees to develop business processes that spand organizations to minimize inefficiencies and increase quality.

9. "Manager"

Pros

Good pay and lots of overtime

Cons

Long hours and no room for advancement

10. "sales & business development"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ability to set path and establish new market. Strict sales discipline and process to evolve a pipeline into sales, etc.

Cons

slow to react or change course in case of failure. limited autonomy to manager t make decision and own responsibilities.

11. "Solution Architect"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Interesting projects in the sectors I cared about

Cons

Too many travel demands and not enough flexibility

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Showing 25,796 of 27,392 reviews