IBM 26,443 Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
9,339 Ratings

26,443 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 799 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 398 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major ... More

2. "Application Developer"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

It has great work life balance.

Cons

The processes were not streamlined.

3. "Greant Company in the Right Group & Technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company with some great innovation. There are a lot of very talented people working there and many of IBMs solutions are outstanding.

Cons

I was part of the Sales organization and there were too many reorgs and changes. We would be held to deliverables with no acknowledgement of the disruption of the reorgs to meeting those deliverables. The sales plan wasn't very good.

Advice to Management

Fix the sales plan

"2017"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Utica, NY
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Utica, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Care, Used to have work location flexibility

Cons

Reorgs, Resource Actions, Bonus Plan

"Great Company. Great people..but always looking over your shoulder"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic company to have been a part of. The engineers, technology, and people are first class.

Cons

Always looking over your shoulder to see if you are on the list to be laid off, ever if you were a top contributor.

Advice to Management

Provide a "one IBM" voice to clients, there are opposing options within different divisions. The morale is desperately lacking, provide a clear direction to the employees. Keep good and seasoned talent...if not your competitors will.

7. "New IBMer, loving it..."

Current Employee - Sales Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing products, incredible leadership, super vision... leading the charge in cognitive computing. People and culture are very welcoming.

Cons

Onboarding is challenging, sooooo much information to digest at one time.

Advice to Management

Make org changes quickly, don't let the rumors linger.

Mar 24, 2017 – Program Consultant - IBMer Engagement

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are happy to hear that our great people, welcoming culture, and innovative technology have all made your experience at IBM enjoyable.

8. "Still a great company"

Former Employee - Director, Client Management
    Former Employee - Director, Client Management

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Access to leading edge technology and thinking. Exposure Top Fortune 100 clients.

Cons

Large and at times bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Listen more to those closest to clients

Mar 24, 2017 – Program Consultant - IBMer Engagement

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear that your experience has been so positive during your 10+ years at IBM. We are working to simplify our processes wherever possible through an initiative ... More

9. "IBM"

Current Employee - Program Architect in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Program Architect in Remote, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with good people and the time off isn't bad either. The benefits are okay.

Cons

They are doing away with Remote work and making all employees report to an office.

10. "Amazing"

Pros

good work compensation
    good work ethic

Cons

hard to move up
    difficult hours

"IBM Software Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great breadth of products to sell, including cutting edge technologies such as Watson. Name recognition in all areas of information technology, with a 100+ year history of helping companies solve business problems with technology. Best of breed software products built through development and key acquisitions.

Cons

Due to its size, IBM has challenges in changing to meet volatile market dynamics. At the individual client level, sales strategies are often driven by constantly changing compensation plans.

Advice to Management

Heed the advice of first line sales managers, who consistently have the best pulse of the marketplace. Go back, wherever possible, to a geographic (branch) sales model, where your sellers live in the territory with their clients, and take advantage of the life long relationships that will develop.

Showing 26,443 of 28,084 reviews