IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

33,445 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"BEST COMPANY in market"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working culture and environment is good here. Freedom to employees and facility of work from home.

Cons

Lagging in behind free services to employees.

2. "Working At IBM"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Job stability and multiple opportunities

Cons

None that I know of

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

4. "Best Place to Work"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Smart people, Exciting, ambitious strategy. Global orientation. Industry leading technology in AI, Cloud, Blockchain, & Quantum Computing

Cons

IBM can consume you with many activities

Advice to Management

Step up efforts to communicate and demonstrate action to deliver on promises

5. "Support consultant"

Pros

Great people, great pay, all around good place to work.

Cons

They do have a lot of layoffs

6. "Research Associate"

Pros

Great pay and working remotely with other individuals

Cons

Slow projects if they are in development and R&D. Very great quality

7. "New Employees get the BIG Welcome"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative, Welcoming, Flexible Work Schedule, Extensive Benefits, Embracing Culture, Extensive Online Communities, Employee Internets, Softskill Training, IBM Badges, Remote Employees, High focus on culture/values.

Cons

Big, you won't know the entire business. Distributed workforce limits face to face interaction. Lots of process/procedures. Challenging to navigate all the information provided as an employee.

Advice to Management

Communicate and trust that your employees can handle the message.

8. "Systems Administrator"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM is a great place to start a career. Good benefits as well as work-life balance.

Cons

Don't stay too long. I didn't see much of an opportunity for professional development or upward mobility. In 18 years I saw very few people who were able to move up in the organization beyond a band level. . Training budgets were always minimal. There was also an ever-present threat of being laid off .

Advice to Management

Value the employees that you have. There were so many smart and talented people that I worked with over the years. Most of them were jaded and felt under-appreciated. Many have been laid off.

9. "Customer Retention"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As one of the most reputed IT companies and the one of the oldest.

Cons

As a mainframe supplier and mainly focusing on the corporate sector need much business development plans

Advice to Management

Increase Business development plans and budget

10. "application"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

good pay long leaves flexibilty

Cons

beneft 401k leaves work pressure

Advice to Management

salary benefits 401k perks trust

Showing 33,445 of 35,798 reviews