IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
10,154 Ratings

27,949 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 838 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 414 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major ... More

"Good News / Bad News"

Current Employee - Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) Scope of company means you can do many things - lots of opportunity to learn new skills, if you're willing to relocate and learn.
    2) Interesting work and a variety of people and cultures
    3) Good benefits
    4) Cutting-edge technology

Cons

1) Direction at the top of the company is poor. Not much confidence in the top execs.
    2) Too much focus on cost-side of the equation, a result of poor revenues for many quarters.
    3) Shoemakers children with technology for employees - i.e., 4-year cycle for laptop replacement, not a lot of internal Mac support, poor local support for IT issues.
    4) Push for 'co-location' after years of allowing work-at-home means many people are commuting long distances to a few sites to keep their jobs.

Advice to Management

1) Apply reasonable rules for co-location - if you support a global team, does it matter where you work?
    2) Minimize the cost-cutting, especially of good people. At some point it has to stop. It's a terrible morale hit.

"Short-sighted company does not value its employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is not bad, nor are the benefits. IBM does not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment at the workplace. For the most part, my first-line managers have been people-oriented and tried to look after their employees. The company works on a wide variety of things, and it is sometimes possible to move around to different areas if you want to try something new.

Cons

Working at IBM is something like an eternal game of Russian roulette, except with layoffs instead of bullets. I survived the layoffs for almost 20 years, but eventually my luck ran out (despite never receiving a bad rating). I am still with the company as of now, but my last day will be in the next 3 months. I have seen this happen to very talented employees many times during my years at the company. The layoffs are often determined by what project you happen to be working on at the time that the layoffs are done, rather than being determined by your skills or value to the company.

Up until recently, IBM was very good about giving employees the flexibility to work from home or even to work purely remotely from other cities. Recently it was announced that this policy had ended and all employees were expected to be on site for all working hours. For some employees, there was no local IBM office where they could work. Those employees were told they would have to relocate closer to an IBM office or they would not be able to stay with the company. This was another case where very talented employees were essentially forced out of the company.

For the past 10-15 years, it seems like the company tries to reinvent itself and entirely change directions every couple of years. But IBM never sees any of these strategies through. It tries them briefly, and if they do not pay immediate dividends, something new is attempted. On top of this, IBM has had a habit of always being late to the party. Only once cloud computing was well-established by IBM competitors did IBM start trying to get into the market, for example. It is very frustrating as a worker to feel like the company has no real direction or sense of strategy.

It also often feels like the executives making the strategy decisions are too far removed from the reality of the business. IBM has many layers of management between the regular employees and the executives that make the decisions.

Finally, and I imagine this is probably true of many large corporations, IBM treats its employees in a very schizophrenic manner. When a project is behind schedule or high priority, IBM management tells its employees that we are a family, a team, and we all should pull together, work extra hours, go the extra mile, etc, to see the project to completion. However, when IBM decides that they need to cut costs, they'll have one of their frequent layoffs (except they will only refer to them as "resource actions", the same way downsizing to them is "right-sizing"). And when the layoffs happen IBM management makes it clear that this is a business and these things happen. Wait, what happened to being a team and a family?

Advice to Management

First, realize that one of your greatest assets is your talented and knowledgeable employees. Treat them that way.
    Second, stop floundering when it comes to the company's strategy. Stick with an idea for longer than a couple of years.
    Third, rethink the misguided decision to forbid working remotely.
    Fourth, try to remove some of the layers of middle management.
    Fifth, don't try to have it both ways. If you expect your employees to feel like members of a family or a team, then treat them that way.

IBM Response

May 4, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for your comments. As with any transformation, we’re prioritizing investments in areas that are aligned with client demand. For example, we’re investing $500 million in employee ... More

"Very happy with my decision"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just recently on-boarded with IBM in Columbia, MO and I couldn't be happier with my experience thus far. The opportunities are endless, the energy is vibrant, and everyone is incredibly welcoming and helpful. IBM seems very "fluid" in their approach to different areas of business, and I find that refreshing because it allows for employee's to share their thoughts/suggestions. I am very excited to see where things lead with IBM.

Cons

I'd say the one drawback I have come across is the multiple apps/programs that are used. Not the end of the world -- just an improvement opportunity I have noticed.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing! Management is very approachable and helpful in getting you the answer to your question(s).

"Self Sufficiency is key"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. Really smart co-workers. Good Work/Life balance by way of Remote Work option. Opportunity to move around within the company and experience different positions.

Cons

IBM stands for I've Been Moved or I'm By Myself. Manager changes every 12 months. Sales coverage (territory) changes every 12 months. People come and go in your ecosystem rapidly so it is hard to develop long term working relationships. Mentor(s) will change as people leave. A lot of layoffs have affected morale. Sometimes you get a manager or find a mentor that will help you think through how to grow your career. Sometimes it seems like no one cares about you and your growth. I felt like every time I got a new manager or territory, I would have to start over again to develop my reputation as a high performer. Most of the time, I suffered from new guy syndrome. A tenured rep was laid off for a low performing territory and IBM would give me the crap territory and 12 months to turn it around. Hard to make a lot happen in a short amount of time. My colleagues told me not to be so hard on myself. If a tenured rep couldn't make the territory perform, there was not a lot more that I, the new guy, could do. But I tried my damnest, and after 4 or 5 restarts with new territories, IBM finally gave up on me.

Advice to Management

Reorganizing / Restructuring the sales team every 6 to 12 months is not going to stop the 20 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Customers are tired of IBMers showing up saying "I'm your new sales guy, let's met" Because they know that 12 months later, someone new will be saying the same thing. Pick a strategy and stick to it. You have fallen so far behind in cloud, mobile that I think y'all should just move on. If analytics (Watson) is the next big bet, then drop the price and start getting some wins. Work harder on what happens after the sale. Getting kicked out of MD Anderson and State of Texas are a major embarrassment.

"I had ups and downs while working for IBM. I think it's a good company but not quite the right fit for me."

Former Employee - Hardware Engineering in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM offers great flexibility both in terms of work schedule and position. They help you find what works for you.

Cons

It can easy to fall through the cracks if you are not proactive. Some tools and workflows are pretty outdated. Also, there was quite a long hiring gap, which means there are basically two cohorts of engineers and it can be hard to bridge that gap in terms of experience.

8. "IBM - big, wonderful, scary place"

Current Employee - Distinguished Engineer in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Distinguished Engineer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM is huge with 10K's of products, 340K employees, and unlimited potential. When you figure out how to work with and use IBM's size, you can delight your clients, make a good living, work with people who become your friends, and on rare occasions get an amazing reward like going to Hawaii with friend for Best of IBM (only 1K go).

Cons

IBM is huge with 10K's of products, 340K employees, and unlimited ways to get lost or feel unwanted, plus some areas just don't succeed. It takes brains, heart, guts and a little bit of luck, but that is true anywhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to clarify what is staying the same and what is changing. Even if I'm last person off the ship, I'll do it if I know it is for a good cause. If you are not clear, I just think I got forgotten.

9. "Aem Developer"

Current Employee - AEM Developer in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - AEM Developer in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

• Made me Proficient in CQ5 template development, Component Development, Architecture, Administration and installation of Author and Publish instances, Workflow components in CQ5. X.

Cons

So far nothing everything went well till this day
    thank you my employer for making everything flexible for me

Advice to Management

everything is perfect and there is not even a black spot to mention about anything as perfect always

10. "Good Company if you can navigate"

Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM is a wonderful company, they have generous salaries, good self-directed training, and a good corporate culture. Their Summit Program is quite nice and I graduated from it with a good sense of sales.

Cons

Company is too big to get out of it's own way sometimes. I was disappointed in the lack of support I got in sales from senior members of my team when I asked for help, even though I offered to assist them with their grunt work. They move their sales force around too frequently for them to get traction with their accounts. After the initial training reps need to self-direct their training and it can be monotonous.

Advice to Management

Stop shifting sales accounts every half. Enable your new sales reps with better mentorship.

11. "Not your grandfather's IBM!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible innovation, smart and passionate people, enormous breadth of resources. IBM is truly reinventing itself from the inside out and there was never a more exciting time to be here than right now! IBM's advancements in cognitive computing is head spinning and valuable solutions are being packaged together to solve problems in new ways. No matter what your interest, you are sure find a good fit in one of the greatest market leaders.

Cons

This is a big organization so you need patience to navigate internal policies, procedures, and sometimes, red tape.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in seller development and comp plans that drive over-achievement.

Showing 27,949 of 29,686 reviews