IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

11,624 Ratings

30,945 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 916 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 436 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Being an IBMer"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

IBM is the most user friendly company

Cons

There is no such things with IBM

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

"IBM"

Current Employee - Security
    Current Employee - Security

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Education, Job Diversity, Teaming, Remote Work, Travel

Cons

Compensation Regulations (internally) have a tendency to be a disadvantage to long time employees. Its easy for someone who has been with the company 5 years to be instantly out-paid (10-20k more) by a college grad, professional hire, new hire. This is to be considered someone starting at a low pay band and works their way up...the compensation increase plateau fairly quick for that employee while give way to someone with unproven capabilities making hand-over-fist more.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about your long-term employees

"Good for women"

Current Employee - Manager Band 10 in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager Band 10 in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM is a great place for women to work. I have had incredible mentors and managers who have opened doors for me to advance.

Cons

Thick bureaucracy and very political. Old fashioned command and control model doesn’t attract fresh young talent. Challenging business climate has taken a toll on morale.

Advice to Management

Flatten the org, change “band” model to one that allows for more rapid growth. Loosen up more. Take more risks.

5. "Great place to work with great employees and challenging opportunities."

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has so many great opportunities. The culture and energy of the IBM employees is fantastic. The IBM executive team encourages their employees to be innovative which creates a great atmosphere.

Cons

Encourage employees to take on new projects to expand their experience.

Advice to Management

Focus on removing layers of managers so the decision making is faster and easier.

6. "IBM Review"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Very innovative thinkers, work with very intelligent people, great opportunity to learn and get corporate experience

Cons

Lots of processes, long leadership chains

7. "Patent Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Endicott, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Endicott, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with exceptional training and work experience.

Cons

Location is not suited for young professionals.

Advice to Management

Relocate office to a more upcoming/ modern city.

8. "It's a good place - better than you'd imagine"

Current Employee - Security Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Security Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Access to very cool technology
    - Management support for career growth
    - Respectful management and workforce - you will be treated like a fellow adult human
    - Increasingly Agile
    - Company has values beyond "increase shareholder value" that they believe in and follow.

Cons

- Lots of legacy everything to be replaced
    - In transition and all of the baggage this brings
    - It is big. Very big.

Advice to Management

Follow through on strategy. The "good old days" were not a golden age. And people who refuse to see this may not have a future in our IBM. Bad apples can spoil the whole barrel.

9. "Business Analyst Experience"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

1. Flexible work hours
    2. Employee learning is encouraged and supported

Cons

Keep an eye out for internal politics!

10. "Good people but not much exciting work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are very friendly and there is good documentation

Cons

Works needs to be more exciting

Showing 30,945 of 33,048 reviews