IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

11,049 Ratings

29,691 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 880 reviews)

• Working long hours is pretty typical (in 429 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

"Tons of smart folks but bad middle/higher management"

Former Employee - Technical Support Team Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Team Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible technologies, great rating/reviews system. Lots of opportunity for education.

Cons

Your department may not exist for long

"Stable employer with good benefits"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Northampton, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Good pay
    - Very supportive work enviroment

Cons

- Progress to get anything done is frustratingly slow
    - Difficult or impossible to advance career if you work in a small office

4. "Overall a great launchpad for your career"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Great team members, infinite opportunities to learn new things every day, good work life balance

Cons

Disadvantages of any big firm

5. "Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Principal OCM Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Principal OCM Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brand name and prestige. In 3 months working for IBM, they have invested in my education by over $25,000.00.

Cons

IBM is quite a large company and you can get lost in it. Keep a positive attitude and make your Eminence known.

Advice to Management

Need to revamp New Employee Orientation. 1 day of orientation for a company this size is not enough.

6. "Good Mix"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

lot of variety; travel and projects

Cons

no shared vision; too much fragmentation

"Typical pros and cons of a huge, old company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of resources available, brand recognition (although the brand value is waning), some cool projects/people. If you get lucky with your teams and projects, it's awesome. If not, well.....

Cons

For every great coworker there's at least another incompetent or misguided one. Lots of inefficiency. Some projects that are doomed to fail.

"VP"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Great people. Some of the most advanced and best technology in the industry. Deep client relationship strength

Cons

Continual focus on margin hurts innovation and investment

9. "Information Security Advisor"

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Columbia, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule, management support, ability to work from anywhere when needed, travel, trainings to diversify skill set and/or expand knowledge in current position.

Cons

I do not have many cons at this time. The position can be stressful, like any position. With IBM being so large, it can be hard to identify the correct owner to work/issues/escalations/etc

Advice to Management

None at this time

10. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at IBM part-time

Pros

There are always new and interesting projects that we are working on. The people are great to work with, and everyone is willing to help out.

Cons

Sometimes the work load is a little slow

Showing 29,691 of 31,627 reviews