IBM Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 27, 2017
5,534 Interview Reviews

2.8

Entry Level Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

They will send an email with an interview link to hirevue. You will have 15 days to finish it but only one chance. There is 13 questions and most of them are technical related instead of general behavioral question(They said general questions in the process explanation email. This general mean general statistics and data analysis questions.)

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Asked to complete a phone interview with the hiring manager. This interview was casual and friendly. I was asked to speak about my resume and the interviewer asked follow up questions for more detail and for clarification.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I was selected for an interview through a university recruiting program. Interview was approximately 2 weeks after the resume drop. Interview process was 3-30 minute talks (2 behavioral, 1 case). All interviewers were very friendly, engaging - awesome experience.

Cognitive Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

It was a Hire Vue based online assessment. Total 8 questions out of which 3 coding, 4 video response, 1 location preference. It starts with location preference, followed by 3 video responses, then you will get 3 coding questions with different time allocations. Last one is again a video response to explain the logic of one of the questions

Interview Questions

• Location preference   Answer Question
    • What is the position? Why are you a good fit   Answer Question
    • Which new tech did you tech yourself? what were its pros and cons   Answer Question
    • How will you find products name from a big set of Twitter feed. Which ML algo will you use. Explain the process   Answer Question
    • Remove non-equivalent sentences from the passage   Answer Question
    • Print the sentence in reverse order with each of the words in the new sentence capatalized   Answer Question
    • Given a Tokenized sentence, extract the words and create a sentence.   Answer Question
    • Explain how did you approach code the tokenization question   Answer Question

IBM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

First stage was a 30 minute video call, both people were very friendly and just wanted to learn more about me. Asked about past projects on resume and what I was interested in at IBM and explained the role further.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process happened on campus at school. T h ere were 3 rounds of interviews back to back after a phone call. Like any campus interviews. I had to make sure that I was prepared since I had not done a case study before. There was a techincal, a case study and a resume review. All these happened after a phone call.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

The interviewer was very friendly. He started by describing the research that is going on in IBM right now. Then he asked about my research and I went in substantial details. Finally he asked a couple machine learning questions, mainly on unsupervised learning. No coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would group a large collection on emails into various categories, without knowing the number or type of categories in advance.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

One phone interview and one onsite interview. Phone interview with 1:many and covered my resume. On-site interview was to meet the team and be given a tour. They did not ask a lot of difficult questions. It was very laid back and easy.

IT Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA).

Interview

I was interviewed one time, about two or three weeks after I applied. My interviewers were three of my future managers. The were friendly and to the point, which was nice. Overall a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• They essentially asked me a lot about things on my resume, described some ways in which they thought I might be able to help them, and then asked how I thought I would do that.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Bell, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Blue Bell, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Took the IPAT, which tests you on number sequences and algebra word problems. The number sequences are irrelevant, and the algebra word problems are timed too short. Some people may disagree and say to study first, but I had other interviews to worry about and did not have the time to study for the IPAT just for one interview. Long story short, I did bad on it (and I was at fault for not wanting to waste time studying for it). Still, I was contacted the following day, and asked to do a phone screen. The phone screen was scheduled for the following day, and consisted of a few fundamental technical questions and some questions to get to know your background. It was a short 20 minute call. Later that day I was invited on-site. Two days later, the onsite happened and involved meeting three people: a developer, the developer I spoke to on the phone, and the manager of the team. Both developers were nice, the manager was not. The first developer I met with had me do some whiteboarding. The first questions was too tough for me to handle, so we did a tree traversal problem to add every node at a certain level to an array. I got about 85% of the question as I was choking after the failure of the first problem. The next person I met was the developer I spoke to on the phone. He asked me only fundamental problems and some basic SQL. I nailed that section. The worst part was meeting the manager. For some reason, I could tell he did not like me the moment he laid eyes on me. He started off by asking me what I knew about C++ and Java. I told him I really only knew Java, and my only experience with C++ was in an intro programming class in college. So he saw the potential in grinding me to a pulp, so he went down that route. After that he began asking me questions on Java, I was able to respond with correct answer, but with every correct answer, he would ask a question one level deeper. It got to the point where he was asking me how I would design a critical component of Java myself, something that I could not even find the answer to on Google. I kept asking him to elaborate on what he meant as I fed him answers he did not like. He kept saying "No. No. I am talking high-level here." He did throw in some fair questions that I did not know the answers to as well. Look, I was at fault for not studying up on some concepts, but when a job is listed as "entry-level" and is looking for a minimum for 1 years of experience, do not expect someone to be able to answer some mid-level questions and act like they are a waste of your time for applying to a job that matched the required skillset that was listed.

Interview Questions

• How would you return the average of the sums for every employee per department in SQL?   Answer Question