IBM Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 23, 2018
6,699 Interview Reviews

2.8

Entry-level Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

They have a online coding challenge with behavioral video submissions in the beginning and video submissions where you talk about how you implemented your code. Each coding challenge is timed differently based on the level of difficulty.

Interview Questions

• Populate an array of numbers from 1 to N (inclusive). Given two numbers, p and q , if a number in the array is divisible by p print OUT, if a number is divisible by q print THINK. If number is divisible by both p and q, print OUTTHINK. Otherwise, print the number.   3 Answers

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed for the Market Development & Insights Team. There were two rounds of interviews. In the first round, there were a series of behavioral questions as well as a 30 min case study. The second round consisted of three interviews at their office. I also had a short case, as well as a series of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why IBM/MD&I?
      Tell us some of the classes you have taken in graduate school that relates to this job.
      They asked me to describe my previous experiences in more depth.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

A few too many interviews and leading on stages when I thought I'd get the job. The people hiring were very friendly, everything went smoothly. The job would have been perfect

Interview Questions

• I had to explain my previous sales experience, very conversational tone and easy to speak to   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

This was the most insane interview process I have ever encountered, and I would highly caution anyone interested in pursuing it as many people I know have had very similar experiences. They started off with a 3 hour long virtual interview. Part of it was behavioral and part of it was coding. The coding questions were of moderate difficulty, involving topics such as hash tables and trees. Overall this was very intense, but fair. I heard back in a few weeks saying I got to the next round, which would involve a technical and a non-technical interview. The technical interviewer asked me questions related to OS (since I was primarily focused on hardware) and the other interviewer asked about things such as location and job preference. Both went well. I then was invited to the "Finish Line" event. They make it seem that if you go to this event, you will receive an offer and there were no more interviews. So I went to this 3 day event in the middle of the week. This involved listening to speakers and developing a project throughout. This occupied an extraordinary amount of time. Basically it was 3 days straight of these activities. By the end of it, I was exhausted and just wanted to go home. Nobody I knew enjoyed their time at this event. However, I was very confident in my performance at the various stages of the interview process. I later received a call confirming this, that I performed well in every aspect. However, they also informed me that there was not a position open at the time and there may be in the coming months. From what it sounded like, I spent all this time interviewing for a position that didn't exist. Of course, after spending all of this time interviewing with IBM, I was furious. They completely wasted a huge amount of time in the middle of the semesters. People I know who received offers were also frustrated by IBM. They refused to tell them the job and location before the acceptance deadline, and were basically bullying them in an extremely unprofessional way to accept their offers. Another one of my friends was promised to be in a certain location when he accepted, and a few months later they said that he had to be moved to another location, totally upending his plans. I have heard plenty of other stories of candidates being treated very disrespectfully by IBM.

This was a truly disappointing experience for me. I really wanted to like IBM and I was excited by the prospect to work there. However, I quickly realized how little they care about the candidates and how poorly they treat them. There is no reason a company of this caliber should behave this way, and all of these experiences really show what kind of company this is. I would not waste my time looking at IBM. There are plenty of other companies of this caliber which have fair and empowering recruitment processes. I wish I had been rejected after the first interview.

Associate Partner Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Several week process, lot's of interviews. IBM is so large there are lot's of people to speak with. Did more than one phone call and went onsite in NYC to do several in person interviews.

Interview Questions

Interview

Technical deep dive, Scenario based discussion, business case focus, use case focus, explain the technology in detail, explain the use case in detail, explain the business case in detail, explain projects worked on

Consultant Interview

Interview

One super day on campus - 3 back to back behavioral interview. I heard back a month and a half later which was annoying and it took even longer to get my actual documented offer instead of just a verbal one on the phone. But in the end, they gave me a higher salary than the verbal offer so I was okay with it haha.

Interview Questions

• One time you worked on a team and ran into some difficulties with other team members.   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Cognos Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

I'm not sure if any one who submits a resume online will receive the chance to do a video interview, but I have applied twice now, and twice had a video interview, for various software engineer roles. The questions were hard, only because I applied, not knowing anything about machine learning, which for the cognitive software engineer role, the video interview's question will focus on. One question for example, was naming a machine learning algorithm.

Interview Questions

• One question for example, was naming a machine learning algorithm.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

2 interviews with 2 different HR personals. Each interview was about 30-45 minutes long. One person focused on the technical skills, and the other focused on soft skills. Interview wasn't too formal and you can have a great conversation with the interviewer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

For being the biggest It company in the world, the process was extremely smooth and fast. My recruiter contacted me every three to four business days to update. Interview rounds include an ipat test, online pair coding/technical round, and an onsite interview. Fairly standard questions in term of difficulty. Total process takes about a month and a half.