Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee

In my interview Meijer is blown up to be this great place to work, but in reality it is the worst job I've ever had.

Nov 8, 2010 - Cake Decorator/Specialty Clerk
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only benefits i can really think of is that benefits begin day 1 when you are hired, and there are always a lack of employees in any given department so a guaranteed 40 hours a week is easy to get, which can also be a con, though. The pay is weekly.

Cons

The pay is awful. I asked for 12 dollars an hour in my interview, and they basically laughed at me saying that the top out pay is only $9.60. I then came back with, "I guess i could handle $9.50 if i have a steady 40 hour work week." Finally after two and a half weeks of calling and them saying i had the job, but the store directer is on vacation, so i have to wait until he returns to start, they offered me $9.10. I worked as a cake decorator for all of a week and then they pushed me over to the baking side, which after a couple of months i found out is what they do to almost all new hires. Which brings me to my next point about how all of the managers lie, are disrespectful, and incompetant. They DO NOT know how to do their employees jobs, but feel entitled to respect, and not to the point of just sucking up, but more or less bowing down and kissing their feet. A child could walk around the store all day talking on their little handheld phones pointing out where spots are empty, but my boss can't even write on a cake or put bread into the bread slicer, and pull a handle to slice the bread. The "blue shirts" sit over in the cafe on their butts for half of their shifts and make lots of money for doing it, while the "red shirts" bust their butts to get everything finished. There is supposed to be all kinds of room for self improvement and promotions, but the ones who are rewarded are the same people who i clean up after everyday and don't even perform their current jobs correctly. I have asked several times about how to get promotions and what i need to do differently and no one seems to be able to tell me anything except that i already do satisfactory work. When talking to a former bakery employee who had previously transferred out i asked, "How did you get out of here?" He responded "You do a good job and obey their orders, don't you?' I responded with, "Well yes...?" He continued to say that if i do my job correctly and perform to their standards i'll be stuck in the bakery forever, becasue it's hard to find people that will do their jobs satisfactory, so why would they let me go anywhere else? Also the bosses lie to their employees promising raises for perfoming more than their regular duties and even bribe them with promotions and not follow through, so they can get bigger bonuses, by cutting back on their staffing. They bosses ask one to do impossible tasks and still expect one to get their regular tasks done on top of it. OVERWORKED AND UNDERPAID doesn't even start to describe it. I am suppoed to recieve two 15 minute paid UNINTERUPTED breaks. Everytime i try to take a break though i have a manager telling me to clock back in and help customers, because they only schedule 1 person for the last 6 hours that the bakery is open. Days off is a very bad situation at Meijer. It's nearly impossible to get off 2 days in a row, and sometimes you can be scheduled 9 days straight, on top of that you cannot request off holidays in most departments nor weekends. 40 hours a week does produce a decent pay check, but if you need three days off in a week for any reason and you usually work 40 hours, you're screwed! We do not get sick days at all that i know of, been there almost a year. Instead we get TMAGs (Team Member At A Glance). These are basically a point system. if you get one and don't get another it takes 30 or 60 days for them to fall off, but if you do get another it takes 90 days. After the fifth you are suspended and get a paid day to "think about what you've done wrong." Then they don't drop off for a year. TMAGs have to be doing the same thing though, like clocking in over 2 minutes and 1 second late 6 times. Write ups are supposed to punish the bad, but at Meijer they don't really mean or do anything. I've worked with a person who used to get written up two and three times a day for not doing her job properly, and not even trying to and she's still there. Meijer is made for the rich to get richer and the poor to stay poor. If you are a goal motivated person and are looking to move up in the world, DO NOT WORK AT MEIJER, it will only slow you down and be a major setback and waste of time when you look back on it.

Continue reading
    15 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

good place to work

Jun 17, 2021 - Pharmacy Technician in East Lansing, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible nice people benefits room for vertical growth

Cons

not really any cons here

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Could have been a lot better.

Jun 7, 2021 - Bakery Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to pick up. The work was easy enough, and most of it is explained before you even reach the bakery. Decent pay.

Cons

I have never disliked a job more. My availability was late-morning to the evening, and I was scheduled for the closing shift every day. If you have a hard time working on your feet for long hours or have an issue with working very quickly, this job is very hard. If you have any issues with hearing (or understanding spoken word), interacting with customers is very hard. The location where I worked was very understaffed. I was often left closing alone, and could not finish every task before leaving on many nights. I developed tendinitis during my time working here because of the many repetitive motions, and I often could not wear the braces I needed during work. On the Meijer hiring site, it was not explained that none of the product is made fresh in-store, and instead is pre-made, frozen, and only baked in-store. While I understand that the store does not have time to make everything, this was very disappointing to learn, and I was not the only one who had assumed that we were baking from scratch. While I would have liked to stay, this job was hard for me and was harmful to my mental health and I did not stay for long.

1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Meijer.