Meijer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Meijer.

Interview

There is a two part interview process. First, your team lead (a manager of the department you applied for) will interview you. It's very casual and they ask personal questions and about past experience. Then, if they are satisfied with your answers, they'll move you on to the line leader, who is the head of the department. They essentially ask the same things. Nerves shouldn't get you. It's not a life or death interview unless you make it one.

Interview Questions

• How did you go out of your way to help out a customer in a previous work environment?   3 Answers

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

I was skeptical about Meijer coming in the door, but the recruiter, talent manager and director of talent meeting me the first day was so helpful. I walked out wanting the job more than ever. I could not believe that we shared the same goals and values in regards to candidate experience and talent development. It was a modern office space with open collaborative space on each floor which I loved. There is a nod to nostalgia with the company's history in the area which was a pleasant surprise.

I really enjoyed meeting the leadership that first interview, then came back to meet members of the team in a separate interview process. This kept things manageable for me with fatigue and being able to have more meaningful dialog with each.

Meijer has a blend of traditional and behavioral based interview questions I'm assuming around core competencies. None of the questions were strange or 'trick' questions. Everything was relatable to the job for which I was applying.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based questions around team, collaboration, service and achievements.   1 Answer

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sturgis, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Meijer (Sturgis, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

The phone interview was pretty simple. Questions you would expect them to ask. Got called for an interview not even 20 minutes later. Now the interview itself was also a breeze. Had a couple tricky questions that made you think for a second. But overall simple as a simple could be.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you showed excellent attitude towards an overally upset customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the pay. Was offered 8.75 but got it bumped to 9.50. Was also able to negotiate on the hours I worked.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Meijer (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed, I met with the store director after I had submitted an application online. They pulled out my application and we talked for a bit and I answered questions, it was pretty casual and they were really looking for summer part time workers, which made the interview not very stressful. The store coordinator and HR director were really nice and welcoming. You typically submit an application online, which I did, but after not hearing back, I went in in person and spoke to the store director and it went from there.

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Interview

I submitted my resume and was called for a phone interview followed by a half day of interviews at the corporate office. I interviewed with 2 DMM's and a Buyer. It was frustrating as 2 of the 3 interviewers made it very clear with their body language and lack of responses that they had no interest in being there or really hearing what I had to say. One interviewer simply read off a script and then didn't make eye contact during my answers, so I wasn't sure he was even paying attention.

They asked some questions about my previous buying experience and why I wanted to work for Meijer, but overall it was very basic general questions. Nothing about what I would do different or how I could improve the department. I was offered a lower position (Analyst) but declined.

They did love to talk about Meijer and how tough it was to learn their systems and business - they were clearly very proud of themselves.

Interview Questions

• Say there are two stores right next to each other with the same product at the same price. How do you win with customers?   Answer Question

Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Meijer (Canton, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

Phone interviewer seemed in a hurry and started the question with Lets go over your resume....ok. There was a gap of silence. I expected her to continue and go over my resume by asking questions so I broke the silence by asking her where she wanted me to start, pause again and she resumed with her questions. When it came to what syle of leader I was, the interviewer got a little defensive as I discussed how I work with a team by getting to know them and their capabilities and work with them , etc. etc. and actually commented that its not all perfect, there are allot of call offs and meijer is not all rose colored glasses... The way she said it It seemed like she was frustrated as though she felt that I was too positive about working in retail and needed a reality check. Couple days later I got the regect letter via email. Im sure there were quite a few applicants and they made the best of choices for physical interview. I get it. I have been in retail for a long time in a leadership role and I actually love what I do and working with people. This interview seemed like the person was doing a task that she felt was a waste of time. Ive done interviews and it is part of my job to make sure the person feels comfortable, dont leave awkward silence. It is up to you as the interviewer to fill in the gaps, make conversation by asking open ended questions. The person you are interviewing is already nervous and stressed. End the conversation with a
    "thank you for taking the time to talk, I have other interviews to go through and I will make sure to keep in touch and let you know in a couple of days what steps we decide to take." Always leave on a good note cause you never know, you may want to contact that person in the future.

Interview Questions

• Lets talk about your resume.   1 Answer

Stock Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Meijer (Wauwatosa, WI) in October 2015.

Interview

It was really good and informative plus the people were realyy nice and they involved me in it and I really liked that. I really really enjoyed the process and learned alot and it prepared me for the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about working in retail.   1 Answer

Stock Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Meijer (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2014.

Interview

Was told to meet in the stores Starbucks and sit at a table. I was interviewed by one of the department managers and then interviewed by the store manager at the time.

Clerk Interview

Interview

The hiring process now includes a drug test and physical fitness test you have to be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or an G.E.D. you have to have dependable transportation because the warehouse is not located near any bus route.

Negotiation

notthing

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Meijer (Lansing, MI) in July 2012.

Interview

There are many situational questions: What was the best job that you have had? How do you handle a negative customer? What was the most memorable accomplishment that you have had? What was the worst situation that you have had on the job and how did you handle it? How would you handle a negative confrontation with a fellow employee?

Interview Questions

• What was the worst experience you have had on the job and how did you handle/react to it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations

Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Meijer (Bolingbrook, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Apply online. Recieve email. Then Two interview. One with a Team Leader one with a Store Director. Submit to a backround check. Then orientation and 8 hours of computer based training.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer asked you to do something your boss told you not to do?   1 Answer