Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Aug 14, 2020 - Retail Sales Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is supportive and understanding, great consideration given to time off requests, energetic work environment.

Cons

Wish there was a clearer path to corporate level jobs.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

May 14, 2021 - Sales Associate in Christiana, DE
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a healthy work environment. Everyone is nice and always willing to help out. I was taken back by the overall positive experience I have had working there.

Cons

The particular store I am working at gets very busy. Be ready to be active at all times. If you like the business, especially during sales, then it's the right place for you.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

You will be gaslit

May 14, 2021 - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people that they hire are mostly excellent-- Great, friendly people, hard workers and very knowledgable. They also have benefits for the uninsured as long as you work 20+ for six months. Shoppers are mostly very friendly.

Cons

REI would have you believe that it's a great place to work because they will tell you that all the time. You will do well there if you sell memberships-- that is the only way to be successful there. You will be told that selling membership is not the most important part of working at REI, but it really is the only metric that management uses to rate your performance. You will also have to "drink the koolaid" to have management notice you. They want you to be "authentic" but what they mean is unrealistically enthusiastic all the time. It's almost a cult-like atmosphere, which they rely on to pay you the bare minimum. If it wasn't for the healthcare, I would not have been there as long as I was. They will also tell you that they value a "work life balance" but there's no way to do it on pay that low. I was actually outside less when I worked there because I didn't have the opportunity financially. I also noticed a drop in benefits and discounts the longer I worked there.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about REI.