KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 2,658 of over 2,732 reviews

4.1
REI President and CEO Eric Artz
Eric Artz

What people are saying about REI

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great for people that enjoy the outdoors particularly if you are looking for deep discounts on outdoor product for yourself.(in 294 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and the stewards ship the co(in 220 reviews)
  • "Awesome discounts and generally great coworkers.(in 185 reviews)
  • "Work life balance was great(in 90 reviews)
  • "REI has a great culture for those who are or want to be involved with the outdoors.(in 89 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay and even lower pay for those with over 20 years in the company.(in 275 reviews)
  • "Bad management and not much growth(in 137 reviews)
  • "Some great managers have left REI(in 76 reviews)
  • "Long and Limited Hours(in 55 reviews)
  • "Senior Leadership has low awareness of the challenges of getting work done and dismisses the feedback from employees.(in 26 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of REI and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Can’t get better than this in retail

Apr 4, 2022 - Sales Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well vetted team, caring and thoughtful managers. Recognition for excelling.

Cons

Hours aren’t ideal and holidays can be tricky to get time off

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good

May 26, 2022 - Sales Associate in North Bethesda, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours and benefits also

Cons

Co-Workers are not coheisve and

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best job i’ve had so far

Mar 10, 2022 - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- good company values! - they value a life outdoors ex: once a quarter you get a wayday and get paid to do an outdoor activity - they actively work towards creating community such as organizing local running groups, workshops, etc - greenvestmemes - as a float I enjoy switching up my schedule and being in many different depts depending on where they need me - the team feels family like and you will feel valued working here - lots of room for growth not just as an employee but as a person

Cons

- **feels like memberships are over everything** - depending on dept and lead.. training for a dept ranges from thorough to non existent - since we’re almost always understaffed sometimes you’re completely slammed trying to help too many customers who need extended help at once - hours aren’t very consistent for me ranging from working 2 days and then suddenly 6 - scheduling is often a nightmare you have to request days off sometimes even months in advance though it’s just an average wednesday - the union busting going on a soho… very disappointing and not what i know rei to value - for a good 3 months i realized i made almost a dollar less than the new hires even though i had worked there for a year. when i brought it to their attention they didn’t see it as me asking for equal pay but for a raise.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

Great work environment

May 24, 2022 - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing coworkers Amazing guests Pro deals on product The best health insurance in the industry Days to opt outside

Cons

The company grew so fast that they didn't have the right people in the right places fast enough. Very demanding job A very big disconnect between corporate and store level.

5. 3.0

Retail is retail

May 26, 2022 - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You meet people who are enthusiastic about outdoor activities - Employee discount

Cons

- You are really just part of the machine - You would think your primary job is to talk about gears, but you are continuously asked to sell the membership. - Task details are communicated clearly from the management - managers - sales lead, and it's confusing. - Retail is retail. Use this place as your stepping stone or a fun part time.

6. 5.0

REI Part Time

May 25, 2022 - Retail Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Flexible schedule Great deals and prodeals

Cons

Low pay Discrepancies between full time and part time employment

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

May 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very Organized and systematic processes

Cons

No cons at all while working there

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Its a great way to make friends

May 15, 2022 - Retail Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Its so easy to meet people and make friends especially when you all have common interests in the outdoors. Honestly the most fun and social I've ever been in my life is when I worked at REI.

Cons

The work can be very repetitive and mind-numbingly boring especially on slow days. I mean, its retail. Also, the pay sucks. But I think there's talk about changing the pay rates.

Continue reading
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

not a bad place to work

May 27, 2022 - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

friendly co workers, decent management, pretty flexible

Cons

The hourly wage could be higher for the associates.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great opportunity to work Part Time

May 21, 2022 - Action Sports Specialist in Oxnard, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours Employee Discounts Fun and knowledgeable coworkers

Cons

None I can think of

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,658 Reviews
</>Embed

REI Reviews FAQs

REI has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 2,732 reviews left anonymously by employees. 84% of employees would recommend working at REI to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, REI employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at REI. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

84% of REI employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated REI 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at REI to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with REI Job Seekers