REI Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

4.1
REI President and CEO Eric Artz
Eric Artz
Pros
  • "Theres also a great work life balance(in 183 reviews)

• "Great community/work environment(in 118 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not enough hours as a part time worker(in 106 reviews)

• "Poor leadership, low pay, pressure to sell memberships(in 95 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of REI and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Love working for this company

May 11, 2021 - Sales Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers and management. Great employee contribution for retirement.

Cons

Dealing with rude customers that don’t respect people in the industry

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Healthiest work environment I've ever been a part of

May 2, 2021 - Sales Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

My coworkers feel more like family than anything else. Everyone is there to build each other up. Outdoor excursions with the store are commonplace (camping and backpacking trips, climbing, skiing, fishing, biking, you name it). A vast majority of the time, if you request time off, it gets approved, though requesting on holidays and sale weekends may require more planning in advance. Paid time off builds up quickly, but you can always ask for unpaid time off. Additionally, discounts are great, pay is competitive, benefits are great (401K matching, affordable health insurance). REI has treated me well, so much so that I plan on making a career of it. I am currently training for endorsement for becoming a manager.

Cons

It can be hard to move into the corporate realm of REI. From what I understand, you would need to be a manager at a store before moving up any further.

3. 3.0

Sell memberships

Apr 26, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, coworkers and management are likable, good company to work for as far as benefits, pro ,ect.

Cons

Forget getting to know your customers and what adventures they may be hearing up for, all the managers want to know is if they are a member. If they aren't a member you better get a slip with info into their hands. I feel like a pushy used car salesman and hate it. Also REI is very progressive, which can be good, but often feels like an overstep. I don't like mixing politics with work.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fine company, poor scheduling practices, wages not competitive with other retailers

Apr 8, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good discounts on gear, enjoyable work

Cons

Low wages compared to other retailers like Target. Requires high degree of product knowledge and customer service/sales skills. Compensation does not match this level of skill requirement. Be prepared to lose hours after big sales and holidays.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible company to work for. Not a co-operative

Apr 11, 2021 - Retail Sales Specialist in Boulder, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay now begins at $15/hr, although it is less for warehouse employees and way more for leads & managers, and used to, about 15 years ago be barely above minimum wage at about $5/hour. They tried to improve but their history highlights their genuine motives and core values as a corporate conglomerate ate. You are only a number to them and you’ll be treated like you’re not human but a robot or a personality.

Cons

It is a corporate department store, no matter what the facade is they sell to the public and their employees. If you’re serious about a career in the outdoor industry, work for a local gear company, obtain sponsorship or start your own company. They treat you like a number, micromanage and are controlling via your hours and membership sales. If you don’t fall into their personality and ways of completing tasks expectations, they punish you.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's a good job for what it is

Apr 24, 2021 - Retail Sales Specialist in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

-you get 2 15 minute paid breaks per shift -coworkers are pretty chill -customers are usually really nice -great discounts and prodeal access is awesome -you get to have nice conversations with customers about their outdoor activities which can be nice -pretty fast paced on the weekends and sales events -POS system is pretty easy to use and the side work is also easy -very liberal company politics which is a pro for me at least! they treat their employees pretty fairly and are all about equitable access to the outdoors, and learning how they can do better

Cons

-such a huge pressure to sell memberships. it can be overbearing pressure from management sometimes... it feels like the only thing that matters a lot of the time -it is retail at the end of the day -there's lately been a big push to sell the credit card which is something I never wanted to have to sell in a retail job.

7. 5.0

Best Job ever!

Mar 4, 2021 - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management and Staff are fine professional people to work with. You feel included in every aspect of store operation from day one. I have over 25 years of experience in high end retail. They were all high paying but came with high stress and Managers who were full of themselves. In contrast, REI is wonderful place to work for. There are no browbeating newcomers, no Senior Managers who skip out on work and abuse company benefits, no backstabbing each other like all commission based stores. I started REI as a full timer but I have switched to part time because I chose to collect Social Security at 62. When I informed management of my decision, they were very understanding and offered to work with me give me flexible but stable hours so I won’t earn over the annual salary limit imposed by Social Security Administration. I can’t say enough great things about REI.

Cons

I have been at my current store in Boca Park Las Vegas for 6 months. I have no negatives to talk about. I actually look forward to going to work.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Overall positive experience

May 8, 2021 - Frontline Staff in Kennesaw, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Truly kind people. Supportive team environment. Solid company values. Generally happy customers. Pro-deals.

Cons

Pay could be higher, but it’s an entry-position so I’m not sure that’ll happen.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Lots Of Turnover Except the Management who bar growth

Apr 14, 2021 - Sales Specialist in San Carlos, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very cool how the company organizes for the vendors to come give their little presentations on new products in the mornings. As a morning shift worker I got paid to listen to them and be a sponge on the different ways they design products and have made adjustments adapting to their customers' needs.

Cons

Lots of the management seem tied to their very inspiring lives of being outdoors people but seem really avoidant when it comes to serious talks about store issues on store operations.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

REI maintains its identity and culture at HQ

May 6, 2021 - Replenishment Analyst in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people want to be here for the long run and do it for the outdoors. Turn over is pretty slow as everyone is loyal to the company.

Cons

Flat organization. Tough to grow.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,114 Reviews