REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2018

2.5

Retail Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Phone interview followed by large group interview. Phone interview the bonus is they come out and tell you the starting wage so you know what you're getting yourself into. The group interview is pretty long and kind of silly but it's easy to tell they are looking for the people who speak up and stand out as well as interact well with others.

Records Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodyear, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Goodyear, AZ) in May 2018.

Interview

Awkward. The Process Improvement Supervisor was the interviewer. When she saw me she averted her eyes and looked for anything more interesting. As she shook my hand, she made no eye contact, didn't smile or even say anything. It was obvious that my physical appearance was a disappointment to her. She made the interview tougher than it needed to be by tying to ad lib the questions instead of reading them from the script. Example. "Tell me about a time when you had to work in a team and other people wanted to give their input. How did you handle it and how did you later resolve it?" Uhhhhhh. Resolve what? I won't bore you with a play by play of the rest, but overall the experience was negative.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

First completed a brief phone screening with one of the managers which took less than 10 minutes. They invited me for an in person interview with 2 different managers. The in person interview lasted about a half hour, and was pretty laid back. Still waiting to hear back from them, however, and it's been over a week.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (New York, NY).

Interview

After a brief phone interview, I was invited in fit a group interview. Super chill and laid back. A few group activities, a partner activity and the usual "tell us about yourself" fun and interactive, learned about the company as they learned about you.

Interview Questions

• what are some key qualities to work in customer service   Answer Question
    • what are some activities rei could use to get the community involved   Answer Question

Retail Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at REI (Olympia, WA) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online. Received a phone call for an interview the next day. There were two people who interviewed me. They asked me about myself and wanted to know why I wanted to work at REI.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I could be any piece of equipment, what would I choose?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

It was a phone interview but typically they host group interviews, but I was not in town so they made an accommodation for several phone interviews. Did two phone interviews and then got an offer later in the day.

Sale Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I had a group interview with about 10-15 other people, where they observed how we interacted with one another, and how we answered questions. Although it was moreso about how each individual works with a group

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at REI in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online and the next day I got a call regarding my application. It was a quick 5 minute get to know you with one of the managers, the questions were like why do you want to work at REI and what's your availability. After that we set up the interview for the next day. For the interview I dressed business casual, and they brought me to back room with two different managers (not the one I talked to on the phone). I was nervous at first but the employees at REI are very friendly and although it is an interview they laugh and joke with you like it's just a normal conversation. They asked basic interview questions, why REI, what outdoor activities are you into, what sales experience do you have etc... , they were both very engaged and each had questions to ask. Come in to the interview with some experience doing one of the outdoor activities they sell products for on their site, also do a little research and come up with an answer for what their motto real.alive.connected means to you. It's also good to know what kind of products they sell before hand.

Interview Questions

• What kind of outdoor activities do you do?   1 Answer
    • what does real. alive. connected. mean to you?   1 Answer
    • what would you do if a co-worker went on break and you saw 3 customers waiting in their department, you have a phone call waiting to be picked up, and you were just paged.   1 Answer
    • How are you with selling products/memberships?   Answer Question
    • What's your definition of customer service.   Answer Question
    • How did you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you provided excellent customer service.   1 Answer
    • Sell me this pen.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Rockville, MD) in February 2018.

Interview

I filled out a pretty brief application online, resume and available hours (I'm pretty sure that's it) about two weeks later I got a call and the manager asked why I was interested in working, asked about my level of experience in areas (skiing, knowledge of layering systems, camping, bike technician skills etc) then invited me to come in about two weeks later for a group interview.
    The group interview was about 10 people ranging in age from highschool students to retired seniors, all with varying enthusiasm and experience towards the outdoors. We watched a presentation about REI then got split up into groups and got asked questions. It ended with personal interviews (10-15 minutes). Offers were sent out via phone, declines via email

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI in February 2018.

Interview

After submitting my application and portfolio online I was invited to do a digital interview. Digital interview consisted of maybe 6 questions that you do on your own time through a link they send recorded by web cam. You have 30 seconds to prepare an answer after a question pops up on your screen. It was my first experience with this method of interviewing and I found it to be very stressful! I was not asked to come in for an in-person interview and am very disappointed since I think I would have been more comfortable an made a better impression.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project that was your idea, how you presented it, and how it was received.   Answer Question