REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

REI Interview Questions

Updated Oct 31, 2017

2.5

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I had an interview scheduled with a specific employee. When I came in, he was interviewing another candidate. A female employee took me into a separate room and asked a handful of questions very casually and conversationally. When we concluded, she said to check my email that evening because if I were selected, that is how I would be contacted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at REI?

What's your availability?

Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Santa Fe, NM).

Interview

I rate the interview difficult because it involved attending class for a few hours every evening for three weeks or more, learning product, and how to sell and display camping equipment, clothing and footwear, cashier, memberships, company rules and ethics.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to fit a backpack?   1 Answer

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Framingham, MA).

Interview

More competitive than most customer service interviews. It was a group interview, about 10 others and myself. Some of the questions were directed at a specific person, but many were put on the floor as group discussion questions. For some of the interview we were put in smaller groups.

Interview Questions

• Is the customer always right?   1 Answer

Sales Floor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

group interview, they break you into small groups and have you discuss, then open it up to the whole room with one person representing the group. after that is a one-on-one.

Interview Questions

• What makes a positive retail experience?   1 Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at REI (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online about 10 days before the interview. Got invited to the job fair/ group interview the next day. When I got there, I met the managers, and went through what working for REI is like. Then they asked a few questions (listed below) to answer in groups of 5. We got 6 minutes for each question, and while each group was discussing among themselves, the mangers went around to see who had the best teambuilding skills, people skills, and how we handled the questions being asked. Fun process but I was a bit stressed due to it being my first group interview.

Interview Questions

• What does great customer service look like?   Answer Question
    • *shows REI mission statement on big piece of paper
      What does the mission statement mean to you?   Answer Question
    • A customer comes in looking for clothing, and they are brand new to camping. What steps do you take to get them outfitted?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Dublin, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview and the second step if the phone interview goes well you go on to a group interview with the other candidates. Overall this was a very easy process and the questions are very straight forward.

Sales Floor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Bellevue, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

group interview w 3 current employees who's main outdoor activity is jogging. I realized this is a store that sells outdoor product but the employees have no idea what they are talking about as it actually relates to outdoor adventure. Also this company rakes in tons of cash for the store and manufacturers and wants to pay the employees $12 an hr for part time work and you must work weekends...haha no thanks.

Interview Questions

• dress this mannequin for a mountain bike ride as a group. 7 people on one mannequin with everyone trying to act like they know what they are talking about...none of them had actually mountain biked before except me so it was weird.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Rochester, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Group interview with about 20 candidates, broke into 5 teams of 4, 5 different exercises, you had the option to have one presenter, or share the presentation responsibilities. 2 Managers, one existing employee conducted the process. Lead manager presented REI, the store's history, the benefits of working at REI.

Interview Questions

• Sell this REI item (our team chose between hiking boots and a jacket)   1 Answer

Interview

Interview was an awesome experience! Had a phone interview and then a group interview with ~30 people. Had to set up a huge tent, attempt to sell someone a product, and some other fun things.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Colorado Springs, CO) in September 2017.

Interview

In person interview, very friendly and nice. I received a phone call first and we chatted for a while, then he scheduled an in-store interview for the next day. The interview was very casual and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for REI?   1 Answer