REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.5

Retail Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at REI (Burbank, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

There was a simple phone screening where they asked a few questions and invited me for a group interview the next day. I went to the interview and all the managers introduced themselves. We then watched a presentation and video (you can find the video on YouTube, I believe it is called "REI Co-op in 94 Seconds"). After that, we introduced ourselves one by one (name, favorite outdoor place, why REI). We then watched another short video that introduced the next three questions/activities (these 3 were done in a group of 3-4 people, so you get help from your teammates). This was all. Overall, it was a really fun experience and everyone there was great. It didn't feel like a competition at all, it felt more like a friendly get-together.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were give unclear directions and still succeeded.   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite outdoor place?   Answer Question
    • Why REI?   Answer Question
    • What does "Real. Alive. Connected" mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Design your dream tent. (Laws of Physics do not apply)   Answer Question
    • Scenario: Your co-worker is on break and there are multiple costumers in their side of the store, but there is no one else around. Tell us the next 3 steps you would take to handle this situation.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at REI (Roseville, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied on the REI website for a retail sales job, and attached my resume to the application. I got a call the day after my application was sent in and was asked a couple routine questions, mostly wondering about the amount of hours I could work. Then, was offered an interview the next business day at around midday. I came a bit early (I've never been there so I wanted to check it out) and the interviewer was a really outgoing friendly guy that made me feel very welcomed and comfortable. He led me to the employee area and we sat down and had small talk at first. He asked a couple simple questions about my job and education experience to figure out what I can bring to the table... (teamwork, integrity, retail knowledge etc.) and then he even let me ask whatever questions I wanted afterwards and offered me the job right on the spot. He was totally fine with me taking some time to think about the decision.

Interview Questions

• What did you like or dislike about your old jobs?   Answer Question
    • How would or did you deal with someone who didn't agree with you and would not budge on a certain decision even when you were obviously right?   Answer Question
    • What outdoor activities do you enjoy or know a lot about?   Answer Question
    • Why REI?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I applied online, 30 people applied for 10 seasonal jobs. Got a call from a store manager who asked me a few questions (mini phone interview) and then invited me for an interview a week later. It was a group interview. 15 people one day and 15 the next. Upon my arrival they made us introduce ourselves. They then talked about the company with a 20 minute power point presentation. Once that was finished they divided us into four groups to pitch a tent. Once that was done they changed up the groups and made us write out some answers on a big piece of paper of some questions that they asked us all as a group. They then made us partner up and sell an item to each other. To finish off the ordeal as a whole group (15) we did a team activity. The whole ordeal took a little over two hours, and was actually very fun.

Interview Questions

• They asked us what our name is, something unique about us, and where our outdoor happy place is.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Englewood, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

This was one of the most fun interviews I have ever had. After a short phone interview, I was asked to come in for two hours for a group interview.

There were about 16 people there. After an introduction about the company, the lovely employees introduced themselves and asked us why we chose REI among some other questions. We broke up into teams for various games and reflection. It was really fun and relaxed. It felt less like we were competing against each other and more like we were showing how we can interact as a team.

I love this company already!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Lynnwood, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and attended group interview at Alderwood location. Friendly store leadership team lead group in discussion of company history and basics. Then broke out into three groups and answered questions. One person reported the groups response after each breakout.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Group interview (group of folks getting interviewed) where we shot the breeze about trips we had taken, what the REI purpose means, etc. One of the last things we did was "sell" the group a piece of gear that was in the room. Pretty laid back for the most part, but never confuse that for a reason to not be professional. It's a pretty competitive process so act like you want it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your favorite trip and why should we go there?   Answer Question

Environmental Health and Safety Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied to the role on REI's website. Received a request for a telephone screen approximately 3 weeks after applying. Received a call from the recruiter and discussed my qualifications. Answered some behavior based questions. The recruiter stated that she would put my resume in front of the hiring manager and would get back with me to schedule a telephone interview with the hiring manager. I never heard back from the recruiter. I sent a thank you email and checked-in on the hiring process for the role, but never received a response!

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Large hiring event (~200 people), during which I was interviewed for 5 minutes, followed by a small group interview, where my ability to work as part of a team was assessed. Hiring managers were extremely pleasant to work with, and made the process enjoyable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Fresno, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First I received an email explaining that if I was interested in applying. The next step was a -group Interview with about 8 other people, an individual interview was offered next which was with the store manger and another associate.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

You apply online. If you have a referral from another employee, the online application is when you submit it. My store performed group interviews. Candidates who were hired were called back promptly and offered their position pending a background check. The starting wage was decently above minimum.