REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

REI Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2018

2.5

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

It was a phone interview but typically they host group interviews, but I was not in town so they made an accommodation for several phone interviews. Did two phone interviews and then got an offer later in the day.

Sale Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I had a group interview with about 10-15 other people, where they observed how we interacted with one another, and how we answered questions. Although it was moreso about how each individual works with a group

Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

1-on-1 first interview. Then for the second round, it was more of a group interview, ice-breakers, group projects, presentations, product knowledge. The interviewers were mostly department managers each hiring for their specific departments. There were some sales leads on-site shadowing on hiring training too.

Outdoor Programs Market Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Jacksonville, FL) in January 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by phone to set up an interview for the Outdoor Programs Market Coordinator position at REI. I was told this would be a group interview, and was required to attend this to be considered for the Market Coordinator position.

When I arrived at the group interview, there were about 20 other people there. When the presentation began, they announced the interview was for a Sales Associate position, and those of us who were present and interested in the Market Coordinator position would later be contacted after the group interview to set up individual interviews, as it was stated the Sales Associate position was completely different responsibilities.

The group interview lasted almost 2 hours, and was completely focused around a Sales Associate based interview. We were all told that we would each be contacted by the next week regarding the positions. It was reiterated that those present for the Market Coordinator position would be receiving calls to each be scheduled for individual interviews.

I received a call a week later, and was told they were "going in a different direction" for the Market Coordinator position. I asked what that meant, because I had not yet been contacted to set up an interview that I was told several times I would be contacted for. They said they had decided to hire another candidate, and could not give me a reason as to why an interview had never been set up.

Very unprofessional process. I would expect more from an established company.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell this pair of socks to a customer?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Started with a phone interview of just basic background information. Phone interview was about 5 minutes long. Then a 2nd in store interview with 2-3 managers. The in store interview lasted about 20 minutes. When I left I was told I would hear back in the next few days.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic interview questions - Tell about a time you over came a challenge, how you deal with issues with coworkers, etc. Be prepared to share a transformative moment you had in the outdoors.   Answer Question

Interview

The interview process took about thirty minutes. We covered what customer service experience I had and any sales experience that I had if any, which I didn’t. But overall it was friendly and easygoing.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in certain outdoor activities.   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at REI (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

We had a group interview with all of the Sales Managers, Sales Leads, and Store Manager. There were about 20 people in the group altogether. Pretty easy process, be genuine.

UI Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at REI in December 2017.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter asking for me to complete an online video recorded interview. This was a unique experience, but overall pretty easy. The questions were skills based. I then took a call with the AD and I thought it went pretty well. I was told I hear back the following week. I had followed up a few times to reiterate my interest, but after over a month of radio silence I was told that they extended an offer to another candidate.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I had an interview scheduled with a specific employee. When I came in, he was interviewing another candidate. A female employee took me into a separate room and asked a handful of questions very casually and conversationally. When we concluded, she said to check my email that evening because if I were selected, that is how I would be contacted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at REI?

What's your availability?

Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Santa Fe, NM).

Interview

I rate the interview difficult because it involved attending class for a few hours every evening for three weeks or more, learning product, and how to sell and display camping equipment, clothing and footwear, cashier, memberships, company rules and ethics.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to fit a backpack?   1 Answer