REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

REI Interview Questions

Interviews at REI

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at REI in November 2019.

Interview

Very easy process, within 2 days of applying I had an interview set up. The interview was very straight forward and more of a conversation than an interview. Felt at home and not like it was my first time in the store.

Interview Questions

• How would you find out how to best help a customer?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Interview

During COVID they are doing online video interviews. After I sent in my application I instantaneously got an interview invitation, so they send this without reviewing the app. It's not actually a live conversation, just a recording of you answering some questions you're given on the spot.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

It was a big group interview and everyone was nice. I thought I did badly but I got the job so I guess I did good or at least not as bad as some of the other people there yay

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

How would I describe the interview process? Well, quite frankly, if I'm being totally and completely honest about the experience I had interviewing with Recreation Equipment Incorporated, I would call it a lighthearted Group Interview.

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in January 2020.

Interview

I had an AMAZING experience interviewing here! The whole process from applying to receiving an offer was a little over two weeks. I realize not everyone has had the same experience but it was SO nice.

I interviewed with Amazon in the fall and it really left me feeling like interviews are supposed to be ridiculously formal and impersonal. My interviews with REI were extremely conversational and relaxed. They truly tried to get to know me and how I work and it ended up working out well for me!

I was thrilled when they extended an offer and I can’t wait to get started at this amazing company. I know this might sound fake but I couldn’t be happier.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you solved a difficult issue with little guidance.   Answer Question

Intern - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in December 2019.

Interview

*To clarify this was a Database Intern role, not software engineer. I first had to record myself answering a variety of questions (live) which lead to an onsite interview at the Kent HQ. Was interviewed by 3 engineers there, all of whom were very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Overall felt like a conversation of my experience and knowledge with databases / other software tools. Didn't get the offer since I don't have a ton of database experience.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter several days after I submitted my resume online. Since I was located in another state, I had 3 separate phone interviews and was then flown to Seattle (expenses paid by REI) for an on-site interview. I thought the interview went really well, however I was completely ghosted and never heard from them again. Up until that point, the whole process was professional and friendly, but I was disappointed that there was no follow up at all to let me know that I did not get the position (which is understandable, of course!).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for REI?   1 Answer

Sales Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

There was the traditional phone interview, then in person interview. With the in person interview there were teams of people who would take turns asking their set of interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to lead a project and it did not go well.   Answer Question

Social Media Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in October 2019.

Interview

The people were great, but my candidate experience was very poor when it came to communication.

Initial part of the process
    -The recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn, I replied and she asked me to send my resume so we can get the process started which I did happily (this was October 1).
    -Then on October 8 - after not hearing back - rolls around and she apologizes for forgetting to follow-up with me. All good, things happen and I'm just happy to have an interview.
    -Then came phone interviews with the recruiter + hiring manager - all was very well here, conversations were enjoyable and informal.

Interview
    -Got scheduled for a loop about a week and a half after the phone interviews - consisted of about 5 hours of 1:1 and panel interviews with peers and those senior to the role.
    -For the interview I was asked to prepare 2 social creative briefs in about 1.5 days with an emphasis on providing analytics and hard social listening data. This is very typical, however, asking for the data they were looking for with no access to any of the required tools to procure said data with almost no turnaround time was frustrating to me.
    -Overall the interview process was very standard and went smoothly - everyone I met was super lovely, there wasn't a person on the panel I would've not enjoyed working with.

Post Interview
    -Here's where things get frustrating. Following the interview I wasn't given any next steps so I give it a few days and reach out at the end of the week - interview was on a Tuesday - since I didn't hear anything and I was told by the recruiter that I'd hear back within 48 hours.
    -48 business hours + 48 regular hours pass and again, nothing - so I reach out again and the recruiter said that they're making the decision the following morning and I'd hear back by EOD.
    -Then, again, nothing. Not even a pre-written "Sorry, we're going another direction email." and still haven't heard anything even though it's been over a month since she gave me a hard deadline on when I'd hear back.

At this point I'm very much over not getting the job, it was a bummer but I'm blessed to be in a position where I didn't absolutely needed this job. However, what really still bugs me is that even though I went through 2 phone interviews, sat through 5 hours of in-person interviews (on a normal workday), PLUS pulled together 2 fully fleshed-out briefs in less than two days during a regular work week that I didn't even hear a no especially when I'm given a timeline for when I'll hear back multiple times and each time it wasn't honored. This was all on top of the small issue at the beginning where the recruiter even told me that she forgot to follow up, so clearly there's a break in process somewhere.

When I mention this to people (which I absolutely have been) they just say that the candidate experience is a good reflection on the state of the team and what the role will be like so I clearly dodged a bullet and at this point, I agree.

Very grateful for the opportunity they gave me to apply and interview but was beyond frustrated at different, crucial parts of the interview process and expected better.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your process of creating a social creative brief.   Answer Question

Senior Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I was contacted for an online HireVue interview, where the employer asked a question in a recorded video and then I had about 3-5 minutes to prepare a response and 5 minutes to record it (I found this method more stressful than talking to someone over the phone or in person). Shortly thereafter, I was invited to a 90-minute in-person interview with 4 interviewers. Before the interview, they sent me a spreadsheet with outdoor program registrations & questions about participants that I was required to fill out beforehand - we went over my responses during the interview. The whole process was more involved than I was expecting.