REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2018

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at REI in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online and the next day I got a call regarding my application. It was a quick 5 minute get to know you with one of the managers, the questions were like why do you want to work at REI and what's your availability. After that we set up the interview for the next day. For the interview I dressed business casual, and they brought me to back room with two different managers (not the one I talked to on the phone). I was nervous at first but the employees at REI are very friendly and although it is an interview they laugh and joke with you like it's just a normal conversation. They asked basic interview questions, why REI, what outdoor activities are you into, what sales experience do you have etc... , they were both very engaged and each had questions to ask. Come in to the interview with some experience doing one of the outdoor activities they sell products for on their site, also do a little research and come up with an answer for what their motto real.alive.connected means to you. It's also good to know what kind of products they sell before hand.

Interview Questions

• What kind of outdoor activities do you do?   1 Answer
    • what does real. alive. connected. mean to you?   1 Answer
    • what would you do if a co-worker went on break and you saw 3 customers waiting in their department, you have a phone call waiting to be picked up, and you were just paged.   1 Answer
    • How are you with selling products/memberships?   Answer Question
    • What's your definition of customer service.   Answer Question
    • How did you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you provided excellent customer service.   1 Answer
    • Sell me this pen.   1 Answer

Outreach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Austin, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

The interview was granted at last minute, almost as an afterthought. There was one, in person interview. Two people participated in the interview process: the store manager and the Outreach director. They seemed friendly but aloof, although I had worked with the company for a year prior. My advice would be to befriend management or people who know them if you seek to advance within the company.

Interview Questions

• Question about using a specific software only other Outreach specialists have access to.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI in August 2011.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview and the second interview was in person. The interview was casual and more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, also asked what I do for fun and enjoyment.   Answer Question

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI in February 2018.

Interview

After submitting my application and portfolio online I was invited to do a digital interview. Digital interview consisted of maybe 6 questions that you do on your own time through a link they send recorded by web cam. You have 30 seconds to prepare an answer after a question pops up on your screen. It was my first experience with this method of interviewing and I found it to be very stressful! I was not asked to come in for an in-person interview and am very disappointed since I think I would have been more comfortable an made a better impression.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project that was your idea, how you presented it, and how it was received.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a half hour phone interview with her. A few weeks later, I had a phone interview with the store manager. This is for a new store and I never met the store manager.

Interview Questions

• The store manager asked what I do with my time off.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Interview process included a phone screening and then a technical phone interview. Told me they would get back to me at the end of the week with their decision and then continually delayed their response (3 times) until I gave up on asking.

Interview Questions

• Basic OOP constructs and terminology, string manipulation questions   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

It was an easy interview. I just walked the recruiter through my resume and relevant experiences. He was very nice and answered all of my questions about the position. He also personally called me to tell me that I didn't make it to the next round - now that's customer service!

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Herndon, VA).

Interview

Quick easy process.

Interview Questions

• How did you manage another person's shortcomings on the project?   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodyear, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at REI (Goodyear, AZ) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a smooth process. Didn't bombard you with everything under the sun. Was looking for employees to place in the correct dept. You were interviewed by 2 different supervisor's from 2 different departments. They didn't pressure you during the whole process. I think that it went well. They were professional.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Auburn, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was hired through Volt. They did an over the phone interview that was relaxed and then called in for a formal meeting and paper work completion. They need references to call to ensure that you are not a late, no-show, or call-in employee.

Inventory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted roughly a week after submitting my application. An individual who identified themselves as an "admin" contacted me to set up a phone interview. We spoke for roughly fifteen minutes, but I did 95% of the talking. Much of the interview consisted of me asking questions about the position, asking about company culture, and trying to determine what would make someone successful at REI.

The individual who interviewed me was the same "admin" who reached out to me initially. They seemed completely disinterested in providing me with information about REI company culture, and had nothing to add regarding the role beyond what I'd read in the job posting.

After reading about how wonderful REI was to work for, and being very excited to speak with someone at the company, I was left extremely disappointed after this phone conversation. It was such an uninspiring experience that I did not pursue the role further. I felt like I was interviewing for a janitorial position at the local gym.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable lifting at least 35lbs?   1 Answer