Ramsey Solutions - Once you realize you're in a cult, it's all downhill from there | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ramsey Solutions

"Once you realize you're in a cult, it's all downhill from there"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people who do all the real work. Lampo spends a lot of time interviewing people and does manage to hire some good people, but we're generally paid poorly and are expected to "volunteer" to work extra when things need to be done.

I used to think I was helping people, but now it seems more like I'm just helping Dave expand his ego.

Cons

Despite what the HR plants on Glassdoor are saying, it's not a good culture. The mandatory staff meetings do little more than give Dave another platform from which to rant and management a place to pat each other on the back. For someone's who's so into working hard, we have a lot of meetings that go absolutely nowhere.

I've watched Dave get crazier and crazier over the years. From the time he brought a sword and a bat to a staff meeting in which he was angry with The Tennessean to the time he brought a real, working handgun to staff meeting to teach us a lesson about gossip to his inability to humble himself and consider another point of view and railing against other Christians who are too "liberal." And seeing how much he's changed from a decent guy who seemed like he was out to help people to a money hungry control freak.

No one can disagree with Dave. Even some of the best leaders we've had in the company have left. Of course no one knows why because of the "rapture" that happens with many coworkers. People will leave for another job or be fired and you may not notice for weeks that they've gone. And when asked, it's like you're talking about the dead.

I guess I've just watched the place go from something good to something just weird and most of these reviews on here are being put up by HR trying to keep up the "Best Places to Work" facade.

If you're looking for "work that matters," then go work with the homeless or orphans or widows in the evenings or the weekends and get a job with a company that treats you well and respects you as a whole person, not just what you do for them.

Advice to Management

I'd say to go get a job in the real world and learn what leadership really looks like, then you might see that many of you aren't cut out for leading a team to begin with. Just because you've been there the longest doesn't qualify you for leadership.

Other Employee Reviews for Ramsey Solutions

"Sales Advisor"

Current Employee - Church Advisor
    Current Employee - Church Advisor

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, environment of ethics, fun company-wide activities, vacation time, and opportunity to grow. Be ready to work like no one else. We have tons of fun, but don't expect to come in tomorrow and just sit back with some coffee. It is a place that rewards diligence and hard work. Bring the heat!

Cons

The base is $12k per year so be ready to start building a business and don't expect to be handed sales. They get lots of leads, but it is not an environment that caters to an inexperienced sales person. I have been able to build up some accounts, but am working diligently each day and using all the sales skills I have. Plus I came from a strong sales background with 6 years of experience.

Advice to Management

Look to raise the base pay for new sales people. It would open up the opportunity for new advisors that have the heart of a teacher. Keep up the great culture and getting to know everyone. Dave rocks!

"Great place to grow"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The first pro is impact.

We are on a mission to give hope to people and that context is at the front of everything we do. We are intentional about doing this with excellence, and every weekly staff meeting we hear about the lives that are being served and impacted, as well as the hard work the team is doing to carry forward a new product or channel to reach people.

Another is trust.

I love the people I work with. We work hard not to have hidden agendas or personal gain involved in the decision making. We are here for the mission, and that works so well when the team trusts each other and is unified about how the current discussion, decision, or project aligns with that.

Another is opportunity.

I have learned more about effective and healthy leadership at Lampo than at any other company that I have worked. One of the challenges that I have had to work through is how to look for opportunities for growth within the projects and priorities of the business. This has stretched me, and as I have walked into growing in that area, I have been encouraged, challenged, and coached on how to do that with excellence. And I have been given the ability to go after many of those opportunities! I am extremely grateful for their investment into my professional development as it aligns with the mission of the organization.

The last is blessing.

Dave is a giver, and that flows down through the leaders as well. I am blessed by the benefits they offer. We are blessed to hear amazing guest speakers every week, and often Dave buys us all the latest book that speaker has just launched. The environment is one of giving.

Cons

Growth is hard. It requires changing the way we used to do things. We are in the middle of great growth and that can take its toll on people, because it includes structural changes, communication flow changes, role changes, etc. We are moving out of the small business feel, and yet carrying a very entrepreneurial culture as we grow. We are learning about strategic planning.

There is constant attention toward maintaining our fun culture while changing the daily activities that come with growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to cast vision, and to retell the stories of how this whole thing started so that newer team members can get further dunked in the culture.

Continue to look for areas where you are the lid for our growth.

Make hard decisions about what we are NOT going to do so that we can put more focus and people behind our top priorities and areas that are winning.