Ramsey Solutions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Brentwood, TN) in May 2018.

Interview

Interviews were spread over four months—a combination of zoom interviews, over the phone and flew me and my spouse out. I was pregnant during my interviews and they were gracious to work around my schedule.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions to determine if I was a good cultural fit such as why I wanted to work there and to make sure I was willing to move a family to TN.   Answer Question

Computer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Franklin, TN) in May 2017.

Interview

Make sure before they offer you a "seat on the bus" that you really want to be on that bus.

The interview process at the Ramsey company is famous for the length of the process. It is not unusual to have 15 separate interviews, initially by phone or video, then in-person, and then a few more which can even include a "spousal" interview. The reason for the interview process is to make sure that the candidate and the employer share the same belief system. In my opinion, Ramsey seems to care less about your technical abilities and care more about the cultural fit. The technical interview process was literally a piece of cake. But I have seen this throughout the South and I think it is just a fact of not being on the East or West Coast that the standards are very easy to pass.

Again, the Ramsey organization is not a very technology savvy company but it is a very friendly company if your friends include the people you sit next to at church. The Ramsey organization runs on a biblically based system and if you are the type of person that believes in a higher power then it may be the place for you. However, if that is not your cup of tea then it might be a very difficult place to work and/or even get hired into.

Associate Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Nashville, TN) in August 2018.

Interview

The first interview was a phone call that was very sterile, the person might as well have been a robot. There was no small talk or banter of any kind. She basically just recorded my exact answers to be reviewed by others. Hopefully they are taken in context, but you really don't know what happens on the next stage.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for the company, specifically.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Applied online. Received first interview within 5 days. Once completed, had the next interview scheduled within 2 hours. Was told that they were looking to hire someone in this role quickly and that I fit with their culture. Good response time to start with.
    Second interview was supposed to be with management, but was switched on me at the last second. Another recruiter had called and started prodding around to know my religion. I am a Christian (which I did not think would be a problem, all things considered), but it seems I am not the right 'brand' of Christian for them. Everything went quiet for a few days. After reaching out twice to the initial recruiter, I was told that they had decided on an internal hire, instead (which doesn't make sense, considering the position had been re-posted on a major job site two days before).

Interview Questions

• Basic questions to see if you fit with their culture.   1 Answer

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Brentwood, TN) in October 2010.

Interview

It took 6 weeks for me to finally get an initial phone interview, and that I should hear back by the following week. 4 weeks and 4 follow up communications later (to both the Recruiter AND the HR Director) and nothing. The irony of it is that the posting specifically requires someone with excellent candidate follow up skills. Guess that's why they're hiring...Even if I'm not the best candidate for the job, do me the courtesy of letting me know. Don't set the expectation of a status follow up on a 1 week time frame and then never respond back to your candidates. Gives me a very disappointing view of an organization I had thought very highly of leading up to this.

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Nashville, TN) in January 2012.

Interview

I interview with Lampo Group in January of 2012 for the Senior Technical Recruiter position as well as the other two posts about the Lampo Group. I was pretty excited about the interview given that I have listed to Dave Ramsey for some time and believe strongly in the mission of the organization and advice that they give. Before the interview I saw the other two comments about the personal nature of the phone interview and the length of time that it took to hear a response. I was surprised to hear this given the very positive opinion I had and still hold for the Lampo Group.

Overall, I would say the interview was ok. I am not angry by any means that I wasn't selected. I have no doubts that there were many qualified candidates and rejection is just part of the interview process. I would have to say the two items that did bother me was that I was told that I would be contacted within 3-5 days after the interview and wasn't contacted until 5 weeks later. I work in HR/Recruiting and I know how things can get busy, but this seemed ridiculous. During the five weeks I did not ask for an update because I know how old that can get as one that does recruiting for a living. However, it seems like this is a pattern given that I am the third person having this experience. The second item that bothered my was a comment the recruiter made about another company in the Nashville area. This is a company that I know is well respected and a good employer in Nashville because I personally know people that work there. Essentially the recruiter insinuated that the company was not a good place to work because, "she had heard things" and laughed. I felt that this was very unprofessional.

Overall, I was very disappointed with my interview experience. It sounded like they had an administrative assistant doing there recruiting. I hope they get an experienced recruiter soon before she says something that gets the company in trouble.

Marketer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions.

Interview

The interview process took about 2 month, and over that time period, I met with about 15 different people. Most interviews lasted about an hour, but I did have one that lasted about 4 hours. They have a very long process to make sure you are a good culture fit and to also make sure they are putting you in the best role to fit your skills. If you don't want to work for a mission based company, or are only looking for a J-O-B, they will quickly pick up on that.

Interview Questions

• What do you like to do for fun?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Brentwood, TN).

Interview

The interview process is long, and intense but over all very friendly and not at all intimidating.

I had two phone interviews, one with HR and then one with the hiring manager before being brought into the office. The interview with HR really explained the interview process as well as asked a few screening questions. So while the entire process was long, nothing came as a surprise.

Then I had 3 separate in person interviews over about a 4 week time span. After than I came in and interviewed with 5 or 6 people in one day. Following that, they did a spousal interview which involved my spouse and i going out to lunch with the team leader and their spouse.

This group is very carful when they hire and the results are great in the work place but it is hard while you are interviewing especially if you are looking to make a change quickly.

There is a personality test that you take, but its simple and online so you can take it at home. It shouldn't take more than15 or 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Because there were so many interviews there where more questions than I remember. Here are a few: Tell us your 'Dave Story" and a little bit about your familiarity with the brand.
      What is something that you love about your current role, the one thing that when you get to do you run home and tell someone?
      How do you handle conflict in the workplace? Tell us about your experience working in teams and handling tense situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Franklin, TN) in September 2014.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews before pulling out of the process. The weirdest part was that I couldn't get a straight answer on the salary. When I learned that I was in phase 3 of 6 or 7 in the interview process, I took the other job on the table. It had been 5 weeks since the original interview.

Could be a great company, just make sure you have 2-3 months to interview if you're looking for a job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Brentwood, TN).

Interview

I had two interviews - one with someone for HR to see if I was a "culture fit," and another with the person who would be my direct supervisor. Both interviews were fine - lots of discussion about what working at the Lampo Group was like, with a few questions about my background/expertise.

After my second interview, I was told that they would be in touch with me within a week or two about next steps. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks, so I sent an email to the person who would have been my direct supervisor. The next day, I received a very nice email from someone in HR - not the direct supervisor - explaining that they were still trying to determine the next steps. Now, maybe they have a policy in place that says not to interact with job candidates, but I was very turned off by the fact that this person couldn't/wouldn't respond to their own email - that told me a lot about him/her and made me question whether or not I would want to work directly for this person.

Like many others who have posted here, I never heard back from anyone. To be honest, it bothered me that I didn't even get a "Thanks, but we've decided to go in a different direction/go with a different candidate" email, especially after two in-person interviews. In a former role, I used to hire people and always made sure to give them the courtesy of letting them know if they were or were not selected.

I still have a lot of respect for Mr. Ramsey, but not so much for some of this management staff. After reading some other interview experiences on this site, it sounds like this is "par for the course" unfortunately.

Interview Questions

• "What do you know about our other speakers besides Dave Ramsey?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Ramsey Solutions (Brentwood, TN) in August 2011.

Interview

Unlike the others that have offered feedback on the Lampo interview process, I was offered the position, and did accept the offer. Here’s what I experienced:

Communication #1: Phone screening with HR.
    - Pretty standard overall. Great person to talk to, didn't feel like questions were overly personal. Got a good vibe about the company, and was anxious to proceed to the next stage. Was contacted within 2-3 days to set up the next round of interviews.

Communication #2: Phone interview w/hiring manager.
    - First chance to hear from the person I'd be working for. Initial impression was that hiring manager was cool, but did not ask many standard interview questions. Felt like they were trying to see how well I'd fit into the existing team. Asked hiring manager what they liked most about my resume, and was told that they checked me out on Facebook and saw that we had similar music taste. Became clear that hiring manager did not thoroughly prepare for interview.

Communication #3: Flown to Nashville for in-person interview.
    Set up travel with Lampo (they paid for it), and was flown down to meet with hiring manager for the day. Lampo sent car service to airport to shuttle me to and from the office. First agenda item was tour of facility with HR. Afterwards, lunch with hiring manager. Small talk over lunch, then returned to office for more in-depth conversation. Again, hiring manager wasn't very well prepared, and there were numerous moments where I wasn't sure they knew what to do next (lack of experience w/hiring process). Introduced to Dave and other leaders. More small talk, until it was time to head back to airport. Much of conversation had to do with Lampo culture, and how it differed from the rest of the world.

Communication #4-6: Follow up phone call w/hiring manager.
    After visiting Lampo, I expected the interviewing process to be coming to an end. I was wrong. At this point, I had various conversations (over email and phone) with hiring manager. Was told the field had been narrowed to me and a few others. This went on for several weeks. Got the impression hiring manager wanted me for this position, but wanted to socialize the decision with others before making a final decision. Was asked for family budget at this stage, so they could see what the family need was.

Communication #7: Flown back to Nashville for spousal interview.
    3-4 weeks passed between the time I first visited Nashville and the time they flew my spouse and I down for further consideration. Spouse was given tour of facility while I met with hiring manager and their supervisor. Again, more talk about the culture, and how important it was that I fit in. Discussed results of DISC profile I took, and not being familiar with it , I was very confused with what they were trying to tell me. As time went on, I understood that they use this to figure you out before you come to work there. They also want to find out how well you'll get along with your hiring manager and teammates. Went out to lunch w/hiring manager and team members. After lunch, met with hiring manager and their spouse to get to know them more personally. Conversation started to hint at an offer coming soon. Flew back home the same day.

Communication #8: Follow up phone call w/hiring manager.
    Similar to before, waited approximately 1 week after that trip to hear anything from hiring manager. Still wasn't made offer, but was told to expect one.

Communication #9: Phone call with hiring manager, CFO and HR.
    Officially offered position. Discussed compensation plan, benefits, moving assistance (don't expect much help) and outlook for position. Was reminded of importance of role, with mild excitement shared about me coming on board. Asked for 24 hours to review offer with spouse. Starting salary was 20% less than I was making in current position, but was told I could "expect to make more than you could make anywhere else" within 2-3 years. Attempted to negotiate moving assistance, but was told the organization doesn't really do full moves, regardless of position, and that I needed to have some skin in the game.

That's it. The entire process took roughly 8 weeks. There were long periods of no communication due to Dave's vacation schedule and other priorities (on their end, not mine). At no time did they communicate how they treat newbies during the interview process. If you make it this far, and accept an offer from them, don't expect to come in and start working in your strengths right away. They put A LOT of stock in hiring the best, but when it comes time to work, they treat you like a little child. I don't know if this is part of the brainwashing period or what, but I got my hand slapped on several occasions when I tried to demonstrate any form of innovation or initiation during those first 90 days.

Interview Questions

• Can we see a copy of your family's budget?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got the impression that there is no negotiating, due to the "customized" compensation plans they offer. However, after going through such an exhaustive interview process, you should feel good about pushing for more. They have A LOT of time and resources wrapped up in you at this point, so pushing for a little more money/moving assistance/etc. isn't going to get the offer revoked.