Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Couldn't Have Made A Better Career Move

Jul 29, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at RingCentral for a year and don't have one negative thing to say about this company. From day one, I have been welcomed and appreciated for my work (big or small) and the Team culture is unlike anything I've experienced before. They truly want you to thrive and be happy!

Cons

Working From Home is nice... but I miss breakfast, lunch, put-put, and ping pong at the office!! ;)

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

RingCentral Response

RingCentral Employee Success

Hello there! Your review is appreciated and I agree, the team culture really isn't like anything else, thank you for validating that! It is people like you who embody our culture and make it so great. I too, miss the breakfast, lunch, and friends in the office but thankful our platform still allows us to connect seamlessly.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for

Jun 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, culture, growth opportunities, compensation

Cons

working with remote teams can get challenging

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced, intense and constantly changing.

Jun 9, 2021 - Former Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast changing company with opportunities to try new things and learn new skills. Willing to take suggestions from employees regarding how work is done. New execs have been joining the company with experience from other proven firms, so I am hopeful they will usher in good change and help the company continue towards success.

Cons

Frequent changes in management decisions causes a fair amount of thrash in people’s daily work. This leads to frustration, dissatisfaction & burn out over time. Some managers are keen on micromanaging and reprioritizing your work based on their desires to get something done, and this can happen on a daily basis. This was an issue with the performance review / goal setting process, because often I would set goals with my manager in the beginning of the quarter, and then not be able to meet them because of the changes they forced onto my schedule. Then at the end of the quarter, I would be criticized & penalized for not meeting my goals by the manager, who was the cause of not being able to complete them due to the changes they imposed. It was honestly an environment that made me second guess myself a lot and make me feel like I was not good enough. There was also a sense of guilt that I should have been doing more all the time. It made it hard to relax on weekends, at night, or even on the chance I got to take PTO. There are some people in the company that I was uncomfortable listening to because of the way they talked to others. Condescension, making rude jokes and then deciding if they should say ‘I’m kidding’ based on people’s reactions, and not showing regard for people’s personal lives were a few things that I observed and could not stand. It is definitely not everyone, but there are some sources of bad culture within. Employees need to be highly motivated and self driven to accomplish even basic IT tasks, as the central IT function at RingCentral does not seem to be able to adequately serve the needs of the company. This results in employees having to perform functions outside their job descriptions that should otherwise be handled by IT. The pay is reasonable, but the company prioritizes using equity to compensate its key employees rather than cash. In the last merit increase cycle, I received a negligible cash base % increase (paycheck went up ~ $65 after tax), but I was given an equity increase. My manager told me to ‘not think about how small the cash increase is’ and to focus on the equity piece. Equity based compensation makes it harder to plan and can be stressful for employees with different risk tolerances, especially considering the stock price volatility of the company. Many employees voiced their concerns with the change to a more aggressive equity based compensation, however, they were ignored and management continued to say ‘we’ve looked at the data and this is what the people want’ even when some people were publicly voicing their disapproval for the change. I noticed a similar phenomenon of management / execs trying to ignore employees when it came to working from home and returning to the office post pandemic. For the whole pandemic, RingCentral heralded itself as the leader in WFH, but when it came time to decide what to do with their own employees, the results were surprising to me. Again, employees would publicly share their desire to continue working from home because of the benefits it brought to their lives, but slowly over time, management spun it so that it seemed like ALL employees were saying they wanted to return to the office. At one employee all hands, there was a public Q&A chat section, and employees were using this to protest the return to office announcements, posting that they were not represented by the results of surveys management was showing, which indicated employees wanted to return. When employees posted things like “I do not want to go back to the office” and “this is not what I said in the surveys”, management deleted the public comments and pretended they didn’t happen. I was always very surprised to hear people in the company announce that RingCentral was voted top place to work in “XYZ publication” because I saw very few happy people during my time at the company. Judging by the very high turnover rates the company experiences, I would say ‘Best Place to Work’ awards are surprising to see. I hope maybe it was just me who had a bad experience, but it really doesnt seem like that is the case here.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about RingCentral.