Slack - Slack is great, parts of the codebase are not | Glassdoor

"Slack is great, parts of the codebase are not"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slack full-time for less than a year

Pros

My favorite thing about Slack is the folks I get to work with. My team is amazing and I love being surrounded by such a smart and diverse group of people. Leadership gets a lot of things right, the benefits are amazing, and work life balance is much better than a lot of other places I've been.

Cons

The biggest quality of life issue is the relatively fragile and monolithic codebase. I'm lucky enough to spend my time working out of the monolith, but it's there and it's big and it leads to incidents. We do have a healthy culture around incidents (postmortems, etc) but life would be better if we reduced the amount of time we spent on them.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in paying down technical debt. If we don't get that right and provide great, always up service to our customers, nothing else matters. Keep caring about diversity. I work with more women engineers at Slack than I have anywhere else, and it's nice to see diversity among the engineers/senior engineers/early managers. At the VP/Principle engineer level, the diversity is still lacking.

Slack2019-09-18

"Company clearly has very strong care for their employees success and happiness"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, unbeatable work life balance as the motto is "work hard go home", great diversity overall, openness to asking tons of questions and getting help from any and every resource

Cons

Culture may not scale very well.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, I urge you to try and continue the culture we have now where everyone who is hired for slack is compassionate, intelligent, and amazing to work with.

Slack2019-12-11
  2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Consignment Inventory Analyst

I worked at Slack full-time

Pros

Gotta work hard to get your leads.

Cons

None. I don’t have anything in particular.

Slack2020-01-25

Discover more reviews about Slack.