SpaceX - Literally a Dream Job | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Fast-paced environment provides endless learning opportunities" (in 133 reviews)

• "Working at SpaceX gives you the opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the US" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance is much better now compared to some stories I have heard" (in 238 reviews)

• "There are times I work very long hours including a few times working 60 straight hours" (in 370 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Literally a Dream Job"

Current Employee - Material Flow Planner in Hawthorne, CA
Current Employee - Material Flow Planner in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is not a lot of red-tape to prevent you from getting actual work done. Everyone here is trusted to make smart decisions so we spend time focusing on the goal rather than getting hung up on the little things. Everyone here is approachable and relaxed so it makes the workplace feel like somewhere you actually want to be every day.

So many Perks:
Frozen Yogurt Bar
Coffee Bar
Unlimited Drinks
Valet Parking
Subsidised Lunch

Cons

The output of every person seems like 2-3 times more than anywhere I've ever worked. Partially because it is expected and partially because everyone loves what they do.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Roller Coaster Weee!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking for work with meaning then it probably doesn't get better than SpaceX. You're lucky to be working at one of the only companies really shaking up the industry. We don't just talk big, we make it happen. Lots of people are super driven here.

If you're highly motivated and ambitious then you can accomplish a lot at SpaceX. No one is going to stop you, there's way too much work to do.

Cons

With so many highly passionate, driven people, tensions often run high. People will defend their points of view, you'll defend yours, and it's tough keeping your cool. Picking which battles to fight and which to let go. The overall mission does help us keep perspective, but on a personal level it is non-stop ups and downs. You watch people hold on until they get fed up and flung off.

Also people work a lot here. Not because they have to, but because they want to. Space is cool, being a part of it is cool. But it's easy to overwork yourself without knowing it. This plus the above can lead to quick burnout. Personally I'm continually riding the edge of what I can handle, but I'm driven to a fault, that's the kind of people here.

Advice to Management

Small perks go a long way. Team building is always important. Keep hiring the best people. Avoid micro-management. Make sure managers are experts of what they are managing. Be in tune with the current stress level of your people.

"QA Inspector"

Former Employee - QA Inspector in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - QA Inspector in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting product, If you like to work lots of hours, this is the place.

Cons

No work/Family Balance. Expect to work holidays. Deceptive hiring practices.

Advice to Management

Move to 3 shifts instead of 2 burnt out shifts.

Discover more reviews about SpaceX.