SpaceX Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Launch sites are high energy fast paced" (in 143 reviews)

• "Working at SpaceX gives you the opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the US" (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work/life balance is much better than stories you've heard from 2015 and prior" (in 213 reviews)

• "very long hours with high stress" (in 333 reviews)

1. "Welcoming enviornment. Amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Maintenance in McGregor, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance in McGregor, TX

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the nicest people work at SpaceX and they are fast to share knowledge and offer support.

Cons

I have no complaints here. I am grateful to have an oppertuninty to work at SpaceX.

Advice to Management

Still new here so I am unable to offer advice.

2. "Dragon Cleanroom"

Current Employee - Integration Tech - Dragon in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Integration Tech - Dragon in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are innumerable. High quality, affordable meal plan, coffee baristas, fro-yo...not to mention having the ability to get hands on with items that have traveled to space!
    Elon has quarterly company talks and walks the production floor often, usually with celebrity friends.
    The systems we work with are AWESOME. The engineering team is high knowledgeable and energetic. The technicians are excited to come to work everyday and accomplish big things.
    Great energy, great people, lots of fun!

Cons

Long work days, this can make work/life balance difficult - but that's because we are trying to do something that makes a big difference. Important things require more of your time and attention. This job is important.
    Risky environment, the Dragon cleanroom is difficult for the guys (and gals) who are out of shape. It requires good health for all of the high level activities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the exceptional work & thank you for being a performance based company.
    Also, consider pay bumps for Authorized Overseers and A&P certified mechanics.

"Review Title"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time

Pros

Great people, great company mission

Cons

very low salary. stressful place to work

4. "Intern Dream"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

Pros

Your projects matter! As an intern I was immediately given a project day one with clear importance to mission success, and matched well with my skill set.

Cons

Be ready to work, hours can be long but you need to love what you do.

5. "Great company"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits, pay, experiences, and pople

Cons

None that come to mind

6. "Antenna Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stocks, smart people free snacks

Cons

Culture is a big problem. Upper management doesn't care

7. "Important work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The work itself if planet-altering, and the staff knows just how important the mission is.
    * You get to work with leaders in the field, and they treat you with dignity and respect. Nobody here pulls rank.
    * Though it's not for everyone, I like the fact that SpaceX makes strides to get you as much stock as possible. With the way it's appreciating you have a chance to get tremendously wealthy, and your hard work contributes to the bottom line. Also the fact that the stock you get is MUCH more liquid than going into a startup.
    * The vibe and feeling here in Redmond during a period of growth is infectious and makes you want to be the best you can be.
    * Though we work hard, staff understands if you need to go on vacation or take some time off to run errands, contribute to the community, spend time with your family, or further your education.

Cons

Onboarding was somewhat slapdash, some groups individual contributors can be clique'y and cold at times, I love it here but many of the SpaceX benefits are Hawthorne centric.

"View of a 90 Day New Employee/ Engineer with 10+ Years Experience in Aerospace"

Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work with highly intelligent people/ be the dumbest person in the room.
    Satisfaction of seeing your work make an impact on actual product.
    Getting to work around rockets and their components.
    Down to earth colleagues.
    Tons of opportunity for growth and learning. It is okay to not know everything here and need to learn how to do something new.
    People are not protective of their respective work areas.
    When major issues are identified, they seem to float to the top quickly and are disseminated to the wider company.
    Its okay to make mistakes, but they need to be identified and resolved.
    If you have a good idea, people are willing to try it out (the best idea wins).
    Subsidized food (can get a full blown lunch from $3 to $5) and the food is actually good.
    Management has worked to provide a work-life balance. I haven't experienced the horror stories that some people have shared on here regarding the brutal hours. I've been working 45 to 50 hours per week, but do not work directly for production. My manager stated his main concern is I'm getting my assigned tasks done and him seeing results. My impression is if you work directly for production, expect brutal hours as you will have hard/ ambitious deadlines to meet.
    The stock award has the potential to pay out big time if the company's trajectory stays on its current path.
    Hands off on getting work done. My manager assigns me work and trusts me to go out and make an impact with practically no supervision. I have freedom to attack problems as I see fit.
    The processes here are not set in stone. If something is wrong or there is a better way, things can get changed quickly.
    The culture is very open. If you want to/ know how to dig through SpaceX's systems, you have full access to everything and can dig through rocket component drawings, issues, etc.
    Flat organizational structure. There isn't many layers of management here and SpaceX doesn't have the bureaucratic inertia other major aerospace companies have.
    The benefits very good. The onsite medical and dental makes seeing the doctor or dentist incredibly convenient. There are a variety of other perks you get for working here that many other companies do not offer.
    The chance to be a part of something that is truly inspirational and fun. When you're employed here, the suspense of a launch and the exhilaration of success is fantastic.
    Year round summertime in Southern California.

Cons

Many people here don't seem to understand how to make a quality product, or take the quality of a product for granted.
    People don't understand yet the impact my group's function has and my group seems to be an after thought most of the time. If we were involved upfront and our processes respected, SpaceX would save costs and improve quality.
    There are a ton of people in Southern California and a good chunk of LA has relatively high pollution areas. Living in areas with less pollution is more expensive.
    People can drive like maniacs around Hawthorne. Be careful when crossing the street or riding a SpaceX bike on the street. There are stories of multiple people being hit in the crosswalks on Crenshaw.
    There is some shadiness. People stealing equipment/ scrap materials and selling them for personal gain. People circumventing processes and using equipment they shouldn't be. People sleeping in their cars or walking around socializing all day.
    There seems to be a lack of accountability. People can get away with doing shady stuff and not get fired for it. From what I've gathered during my brief time here it is remarkably hard to get fired from SpaceX. They tend to lose people mainly from burn out or they get a job that offers more pay with less hours outside of the company.
    People have told me this isn't the best/ safest area of LA, but I haven't seen anything that has made me feel uneasy. On the walk to Wilkie along the train tracks you may see some homeless people along with piles of their garbage and the walk over the canal can stink.
    My manager and some colleagues can be/ are completely unresponsive to emails. Only time I can get questions answered is during 1:1s.
    Onboarding process was unorganized/ non-existent. I showed up expecting to hit the ground running and it appeared they didn't know what they wanted me to work on. My expectation was there would be a clear set of tasks and things to see/ do upon my arrival, and a process in place to accomplish these for a new employee. With my group this did not happen/ was not in place.
    Some groups have a lack of professionalism. Maybe it is what SpaceX considers scrappiness, but if you're expecting a highly professional, white collar environment that isn't SpaceX. There are plenty of blue collar/ Joe Schmoes at SpaceX that are a bit rough around the edges (for better or worse). I've also observed management talking about their employees behind their backs, which makes one wonder what management is saying about them behind their back.
    Senior management seems out of touch with what my group is doing and how to help us accomplish our goals.
    No 401k match. Pretty much all other major aerospace companies offer a substantial 401k match that provides an extra boost to retirement savings.
    The stock award is great but if the company tanks for whatever reason, the stock could be worth nothing. Plus the stock awarded to a typical employee doesn't have the same class as what the executives get, such that if the company does tank the executives get to claim the value of what's left of the company with the average employee not getting anything from their stock. Keep in mind in order to claim the full stock award, you will have to pay the taxes on it. If you can't afford to pay the taxes, it will be taken out of your stock award which means you will not get as much stock as they advertised in your offer.
    Base salary isn't as good as the other major aerospace companies (I took a cut in base pay to come work here).

Advice to Management

Better work-life balance for employees at large. Work-life balance is something that employees with families HIGHLY VALUE. Some of the best talent out there isn't in their twenties and cannot work 50 to 60 hours a week and maintain a happy family life. If things are not happy at home, employee performance and retention will suffer. Work on making it okay to work 40 to 50 hours a week. Younger, motivated employees that can spend the longer hours at work will put in the extra hours to expedite their career growth.
    Make sure clear onboarding steps and projects are in place for new employees before bringing them in. My onboarding was very disappointing.
    Add 401k matching or pay the taxes on the stock award.
    Hold employees accountable for not following the rules.

9. "Best job I've had in my life!"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An absolutely incredible group of people to work with.

Cons

There aren't any on a professional level. My commute does suck :)

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"High stress and low productivity somehow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring and rewarding work.
    Cool launches.

Cons

People seem to work long hours but I don't see things getting done any faster than they were at my previous company.

Advice to Management

Stop incentivizing long hours and instead focus on work getting done.

Showing 919 of 1,429 reviews