SpaceX Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Day to day work is fast paced and dynamic as a material planner (in 136 reviews)

• Working at SpaceX was an exciting transition to real engineering (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours can make work/life balance difficult (in 200 reviews)

• Engineers work extremely long hours (in 317 reviews)

"A review from an 8 year employee"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are several reasons to work at SpaceX. Here are a few of my top reasons:

- Unlimited opportunities. No one will stop you from learning new things, helping other teams (if you have time), and increasing your skillset.
     - Tons of job satisfaction. The work we do is challenging, and the process can be difficult, but when the team is ultimately successful, there is no better feeling.
     - Innovation. SpaceX is always pushing the boundaries of what's been done before or what is even considered possible. This forces the employees to constantly think outside the box, come up with creative solutions to complex problems, and think critically.
     - Fun and exciting. What's cooler than launching and landing rockets, flying spacecraft, and eventually going to Mars? I can honestly say I've never once been bored at SpaceX.

Cons

- Achieving difficult things takes hard work. There have been days/weeks/months on end where I've worked incredibly long hours in order to be successful.
     - Part of innovating is that you're covering uncharted territory and this can tough. I've had times where I did not see an easy solution and it was frustrating or demoralizing. However, through teamwork and good leadership we've always found a way to get the job done.
     - The long hours can make work/life balance difficult.

2. "The perfect challenge for analytical minds"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SpaceX is a place where you get to work around brilliant coworkers on challenging analytical problems every day. People are extremely dedicated to getting it right, and there is a candor about our shortcomings that drives ongoing improvement.

More than any place I've worked, people at SpaceX are drawn to capability. Regardless of title, tenure, role, or department, if you get things done and are excellent at your job, people will bring you into the room.

Cons

It can be tough to find balance outside of work. Because of the Hawthorne location and long hours, it's very difficult to network/socialize with people outside of the company.

Advice to Management

Don't become complacent or soften your standards. The biggest risk to ongoing success is becoming a big company that lets mediocrity creep in.

"It's the dream job I didn't know existed"

Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like my ideas and work are valued. My manager empowers me to achieve my goals. The teams that I work with are very supportive and literally do the things you wouldn't think were possible. I truly believe that I work with the best of the best, and some of the most humble people out there. We have one of the smartest and inspiring CEO's in the world, who has a clear vision that I can easily get on board with.

Cons

We have the same drawbacks of a quickly growing company that came from a very small, and elite group of individuals. We are treading on new ground, a lot of the things we're doing have never been done before so you really have to stretch outside of your role and be able to do what other companies would have 3 people doing. The pace of the work is very fast, so you have to put effort to take a step back and see your project from a higher perspective to make the most effective decisions.

Advice to Management

De-centralized leadership is awesome, we can optimize it further by standardizing the interfaces between teams and increasing knowledge sharing.

4. "Metal spinning"

Current Employee - Metal Spinning in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Metal Spinning in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So I can continue my metal spinning experience

Cons

I do not believe I will be involved in any downsides

"QA Inspector"

Former Employee - QA Inspector in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - QA Inspector in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting product, If you like to work lots of hours, this is the place.

Cons

No work/Family Balance. Expect to work holidays. Deceptive hiring practices.

Advice to Management

Move to 3 shifts instead of 2 burnt out shifts.

6. "Launch Technician"

Current Employee - Launch Technician in Cape Canaveral, FL
    Current Employee - Launch Technician in Cape Canaveral, FL

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool company. fun. paving the way

Cons

long hours. low pay for industry

"Roller Coaster Weee!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking for work with meaning then it probably doesn't get better than SpaceX. You're lucky to be working at one of the only companies really shaking up the industry. We don't just talk big, we make it happen. Lots of people are super driven here.

If you're highly motivated and ambitious then you can accomplish a lot at SpaceX. No one is going to stop you, there's way too much work to do.

Cons

With so many highly passionate, driven people, tensions often run high. People will defend their points of view, you'll defend yours, and it's tough keeping your cool. Picking which battles to fight and which to let go. The overall mission does help us keep perspective, but on a personal level it is non-stop ups and downs. You watch people hold on until they get fed up and flung off.

Also people work a lot here. Not because they have to, but because they want to. Space is cool, being a part of it is cool. But it's easy to overwork yourself without knowing it. This plus the above can lead to quick burnout. Personally I'm continually riding the edge of what I can handle, but I'm driven to a fault, that's the kind of people here.

Advice to Management

Small perks go a long way. Team building is always important. Keep hiring the best people. Avoid micro-management. Make sure managers are experts of what they are managing. Be in tune with the current stress level of your people.

"never a dull moment"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great perks, everyone I work with is very intelligent and qualified, culture very "all for one". people here are passionate about the mission

Cons

communication is difficult at times, especially when trying to communicate across coasts. travel helps though, must be okay with traveling if you work in launch. if you don't care about the mission, the work load and hours would probably feel like too much

9. "Great Place for More than a Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working here is more like being on a mission than having a job. If you're just looking for a paycheck (no judgement, you do you), this is not the place you want to be. It's never boring. The work always feels important, even when its basic stuff. Working in a rocket factory is slightly dream-like. The people around you inspire you to do the best work you've ever done in your life which is a pretty incredible high.

Cons

I never realized how often people settle for mediocrity in a corporate environment until I came here where we fight mediocrity on a daily basis. That can be uncomfortable at times because its hard to do, but I think that's a fair trade for the feeling you get when you achieve something no one has ever done before.

Advice to Management

Keep up the efforts to communicate at all levels of the organization, even as it continues to grow.

10. "SpaceX Review"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to make a direct impact on the business with meaningful contributions.

Cons

Career development could be improved.

Showing 836 of 1,325 reviews