SpaceX Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2018

3.4

Launch Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

I was still in school so my hiring process was a bit more spread out (~ 2 months). I went and talked to SpaceX at a career fair and apparently did well enough to hear from two different recruiters in the next week. I received an email from one of them and scheduled a phone call with them to talk about the position. We talked for about 20 min and she asked me a few basic questions about my experience, oddly they wanted to know my irrelevant SAT and ACT scores from years before, and she decided I was a good fit so scheduled a phone call for me with the team manager about 2 weeks later.

When I got on the phone with him we went much more in depth as to prior projects from internships and school. The call lasted about 30 min and did not really have any challenging questions. He said I could expect to hear back in about a week. I ended up hearing back from the recruiter the next day, telling me I was going to be pushed to the next round of the process.

A few weeks later they flew me down to Orlando for an in person interview, involving a 30 minute presentation on one of my previous projects in front of 6 engineers on the team. This presentation quickly became about an hour and a half after answering all of their questions throughout it, which was very challenging. The questions keep you on your toes and are mostly meant to see how you approach it and think through it, not necessarily to get it correct due to how quickly they want an answer (although that's always a plus). After the presentation they gave me about a 60 question test, basic physics questions with no math, just concepts. They give you an hour to take it but it doesn't take that long if you know your stuff. After this I was able to tour the pad, and due to the timing of my interview, I was lucky enough to walk directly underneath the Falcon Heavy while it was still being assembled in the hangar. Following the interview, the timeline was about the same. I heard back from the recruiter 2 days later saying I had been pushed to the final step of the process.

This time was just another phone call, except with the VP of launch (If you get this far be prepared). The phone call was about 20 minutes long and he just asked more challenging questions, and then we talked about the company in general. Again, I heard back 2 days later and the recruiter told me that the paperwork was not official yet but that I had received the job!

Interview Questions

• If you blow up a balloon and then let it go, draw us a graph of the radius vs. time and tell us any assumptions you made about the system   Answer Question
    • If you were to calculate the reynolds number of fluid in a pipe, what all does it depend on?   Answer Question
    • You're holding a rock on a boat in the middle of a stagnant lake. Then, you throw the rock into the lake. Once everything settles out, what has happened to the shore line? Explain why   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

Was contacted through LinkedIn by a recruiter in HR. Recruiter was very nice and I enjoyed talking to them. I went through 2 calls with HR and was given a design problem to solve at home.

Interview Questions

• On the first contact call, recruiter asked me technical questions, and questions to gain my familiarity and enthusiasm with SpaceX. Answers were relayed to hiring manager. They asked me to chose and complete a home design problem.   1 Answer

Principal ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Irvine, CA).

Interview

The process starts with a phone screen with the hiring manager. Once you pass the phone screen, you are given a design project to work through before your formal on-site interview. The design project requires you to come up with a working, simulated design. You are required to submit a formal presentation of your work which you are to present on your interview day. On-site interview starts with a presentation of your design in front of a group of people and you must be prepared to answer questions. This is followed by several one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

3 phone interviews. First was general HR screen. The next two were technical interviews going through case studies. On site interview was straightforward. Had to do a 30 min pitch to operations leadership. Following that, you have a 5-7 back to back 30-45 min interviews with leadership.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a material stockout   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in May 2018.

Interview

One quick screening call and a phone interview lasting about 30 minutes. The screening call was actually fairly similar to the phone interview but less thorough. During the phone interview, they asked normal questions and explained the position and why the position was open. I thought that the interview went very well but unfortunately, I was not selected for the position.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter on Linkedin then went through a brief conversation with this recruiter, followed by a take-home exam on previous experience and light coding tests. Then a technical phone call with an engineer. They are really pushy in the process and no matter what your time preference is, they will go with theirs anyway so don't bother. During the technical phone screen, the interviewer was unprofessional, he was chatting and laughing with somebody on the other side of the call. Although I did all questions correctly and in time, I was rejected immediately and no feedback was given.

Interview Questions

• follow-up questions about the take-home test, basic data structure, simple guess the price game and light SQL   Answer Question

Interview

The interview process was definitely challenging as SpaceX seeks to hire the best talent available and intends to verify that notion via their interviews. The information I encountered online prior to my interview proved to be quite accurate. The phone screenings were standard and relatively straightforward. The onsite interview included a panel presentation and one-on-one interviews. These were far more challenging and certainly technical given the nature of the role. The key is to demonstrate your skills, be curious, and above all be honest.

Propulsion Technician Pressure Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA).

Interview

Submitted application online on a Saturday and received call from recruiter on Monday. Very in depth phone conversation about my background and a few quick questions about my resume, then recruiter submitted resume to the department applying for. Next day a call once again from recruiter to schedule interview.
    The interview was very relaxed, easy to talk with the supervisor and department manager, then a one on one with a lead man from the department next door.
    All in all very positive. Then a week later received an offer.

Interview Questions

• If you were to leave your current employer, what kind of impact would it cause???   Answer Question

Mechanical Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

The first phone interview is easy but every interview after that gets increasingly more technical. They ask basic structures and fluid questions and you are expected to know equations off the top of your head,

Interview Questions

• Basic engineering equations and everything on your resume   Answer Question

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA).

Interview

I applied for the 2nd shift material handler position on the SpaceX website. About a month later, I got an e-mail from a recruiter asking if I could talk to him over the phone for about 25 minutes. (schedule a date and time for this)

1) The initial phone screening will be about who you are, what work experience you have, and why you want to leave your current job and join SpaceX. If that goes well, the recruiter will tell you (by phone or email) that he will set up a phone interview with the manager of your department/building.

2) The second phone screening/interview was with the manager of the department. If you pass that, your recruiter contacts you about a tour and several on-site interviews.

3) I had a tour of SpaceX, followed by four (4) 1:1 interviews which was a combination of team leads, supervisors, and managers that you could potentially work for. This lasted a couple hours.

4) After a week or two, the recruiter called me and said the team likes me and wants to bring me on.

5) A week or so later, recruiter asked if I wanted to be in a different team because of an opening. I said yes, and had to do another phone interview with the manager in THAT department.

6) Waited about two weeks, got a job offer.

All in all,
    1 phone screening
    1 tour
    2 phone interviews
    4 personal interviews

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of questions that determine if you're a problem-solver and someone who takes initiative.   Answer Question