SpaceX Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2018

3.4

Test Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

2 interviews over the phone
    1 with manager 1 with director. Very pleasant people. Dug into my responses and made sure I knew what I was talking about. A couple questions about how to test basic some basic circuits.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

I put in an application online expecting nothing. 1 day later, I got a call back from a recruiter to schedule an interview. The interview was a phone interview with a senior engineer. It delved deeply into the technical details of my previous internship and project experience. Make sure you can explain everything on your resume, and talk in great detail about your projects and why you did what you did. Overall, I thought the phone interview went poorly because I was struggling to recall some fine details of my work.

Apparently, the call went well because 3 days later I found out I was selected to move onto the next round. I STRONGLY recommend you send a powerpoint presentation overviewing your projects to your interviewer. I did this and I think it made a huge difference. Having visuals helps the interviewer understand what you're trying to explain.

For the next round, they sent me a take-home project. I spent many hours on it and wrote up a paper. The assignment was very ambiguous and it could have been approached in at least two ways with different results. I asked them about this and they never responded; after I submitted my work, they said I failed to address some key components of the solution. Had they answered my initial questions, i probably would have been able to have done that. Oh well.

Anyway, the recruiters were very nice and timely. SpaceX seems to move fast for the hiring process, which is good.

Interview Questions

• Literally just know everything there is to know about your previous internship and project experience. Also try to mention relevant coursework. And for my interview, there were no brain teasers or school-type questions.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

Two interviews with current engineers, both asked technical and non-technical questions. Technical questions were about basic structural engineering mostly. Non-technical were standard behavioral questions. Answered technical questions correctly, but denied position due to "lack of experience". This was for their space suit team.

Interview Questions

• Which point of a cantilever is weakest?   3 Answers
    • Tell me how would design the fluid pipes on a crew module.   2 Answers

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at SpaceX in January 2018.

Interview

First interview was a short phone call. Lasted about 20-25 minutes. I did most of the talking, I was just asked a few questions and that was it. The questions were straight forward about my experience, toughest project, and my role in process improvement.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied to a position online, was emailed by a recruiter to set up an interview and when I replied (a few times) with my availability, they never responded. They essentially ghosted me. I never was told about my status for the position.

Then, about 3 or 4 months later, the same recruiter called me out of the blue for the same position (I think?). We had a long interview (30+ minutes) that seemed to go pretty well, had a good rapport, etc.

I was asked my ACT score despite this being a highly technical position and having a master's degree. Odd. Towards the end of the interview, he mentioned he would need to do a sort of exam but that I could do it another time because it might be good to study up, or I could do it right then and there. I said sure, let's do it tomorrow and he said just email me the time because he was free most of the next entire day. An hour or so after the phone call I did so, and he never responded again. Ghosted again, despite, again, being contact by them. Again, I was never told my status for the position.

This was not my only interview with SpaceX, but SpaceX has been the most unprofessional company I have ever interviewed with.

Interview Questions

• What is your ACT score?   1 Answer
    • Towards the end of the interview, he mentioned he would need to do a sort of exam but that I could do it another time because it might be good to study up, or I could do it right then and there.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Applied online, and received an email inviting me to take an online c/c++ quiz. Quiz was fine although some of the question were a bit nebulous as to what the answer could have been. Set up a call with a recruiter for the next week. The first time she forgot about the call and the second time...she forgot about the call again. Nonetheless we eventually connected. This call was an hour where she asked some general questions and a few technical questions related to multighreaded programming.

After this interview, another interview was set up with a Sr Software Engineer. This call was a little over an hour - we chatted about previous work experience and then he asked me a series of technical questions which were apparently 'blanket' for all candidates. Being a C guy (and not a c++ guy) I struggled with some of the questions pretaining to c++. Unfortunately I goofed on some pretty simple questions because I felt a bit "on the spot".

Had I made it past this part of the interview the next step would have been a 6-hour coding problem in C, followed by an onsite visit and presentation that I would have to give to the team. That would be followed by 1:1's with the team.

Overall a challenging interview but good experience for someone who's interested in getting into a company like google.

Interview Questions

• Why use reference over pointer   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview was quick and painless and mainly focused on my educational background. I was then invited on-site for a battery of 6 30 minute interviews. My first went smoothly. The interviewer was 15 minutes late for my second interview and we barely had a chance to speak before time was up. The third interviewer seemed very surprised by my non-traditional path and status regarding the position, something that I would have assumed the hiring manager would have apprised them of and seemed ok with prior to the interview. The interviews were cut short there and I was escorted out of the building because of the negative feedback given by one of my interviewers. I never got a chance to speak face-to-face with the hiring manager (scheduled to be my 5th interviewer) to follow up on our phone interview. Overall, it was a frustrating and humiliating experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the SpaceX mission?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you personally failed at something (and didn't necessarily ever come up with a solution) and what you learned from that experience.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you started a task or job that you were completely over your head in and how you managed it and gave yourself a chance to succeed.   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

First had two phone screens: one with a team member and the other with the team manager. The phone screens were behavioral + resume stuff. Really know what you out on your resume because they will dig into it.

Was then invited out for an on-site. On site started with a tour of the production floor. Then gave a 30 minute presentation on something bi designed with a 30 minute Q&A session after. Then had several 1:1 and 2:1 interviews with the team members, management, and director. Some of the 1/2:1s we're totally technical, asking me to solve design problems and critique designs, others were a mix of technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• How would you attach a sensitive instrument to a shaking surface?   2 Answers
    • Tell me a time you disagreed with a superior or teammate. What was it about? How did it turn out?   Answer Question
    • How do you regulate tempurature of something in space? What is your main limiting factor?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you had to manage mutliple tasks or projects to convince me that you can multitask   Answer Question

Test Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SpaceX in December 2017.

Interview

There was the standard initial email exchange, and then phone interviews with HR and then a technical lead. They asked a lot about previous project experience, and then questions about logistics of the internship, followed by job-specific knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Can you give a high level overview of analog to digital signal processing?   Answer Question

Dragon Integrated Technician - Clean Room Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screening a few months before having another phone screening and phone interview along with my actual interview on site due to my circumstances. Was told that all phone screenings and phone interviews went well then made my way out to Hawthorne, CA for the onsite visit and panel interview. The onsite visit was great and they showed me where i would be working if i had received the position. We proceeded to the panel interview and I was asked basic critical thinking questions along with situational questions like "explain when there was a conflict between you and another coworker and how did you resolve it and what was the outcome." Once the interview was finished, I was told that they would get back to me in about a week and it has been a month and two weeks since then. There was no rejection notification and no contact.

Interview Questions

• With the micrometer screw gauge, tell us what the inside and outside diameter of the washer in inches.   1 Answer