SpaceX Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

3.4

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at SpaceX (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online, hiring manager called and scheduled a phone screen. Phone screen with hiring manager and site security lead. Onsite interview with hiring manager, site lead, and conference call with head of security.

Much of the details about the position were not clear, stating “the concept in my head is...” Work schedule, shifts, daily tasks were not defined when asked. Concerning given the magnitude of the company and role. Offered pay was good, but too many red flags about what would be expected of me and the department.

UX Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

Applied online and received request for phone interview within a few days. Phone interview lasted was brief <30 mins. Received rejection email within a few days. Interviewer sounded very tired and rushed, and was just filling out a form. Phone connection or microphone location was not great, as it was difficult to hear recruiter's words. Recruiter also had difficulty answering questions about design/design teams at SpaceX. I strongly recommend not letting recruiter rush you, but be concise.

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview process borders on abuse and is clearly designed to get free work out of applicants. I put 35+ hours into a Verilog design problem that would have taken 4 times that to complete. Only to have them come back with factually false claims that they found bugs in my solution that were not actually bugs. I spoke to absolutely no one with any engineering competence whatsover.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to complete a complex Verilog design, including testbench covering all conceivable corner cases, and a PowerPoint about it. It was obviously impossible to complete in the time allowed, so clearly part of the interview is to find out who submits to slave labor without complaint. Details of the design question are protected by NDA.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

Phone interview with HR followed by technical phone interview with team lead. Invited out to interview onsite. They wanted a 30 minute presentation followed by a 30 minute Q&A. Had set of 1:1 interviews after and technical exam. Exam were easy structures questions, but had a major brain freeze during... so yeah, no offer. Nice people, cool to see the facility, wish I hadn't flubbed the exam, but what can you do. Pay attention to the bullet points in the job listing for what they will test you on. Stay calm and be you.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

For the Structures team, I completed a roughly thirty-minute phone screen with a series of questions about my background and experience, as well as some mechanical engineering / logic puzzles.

Interview Questions

• How did you approach this project listed on your resume?   1 Answer

Test Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McGregor, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (McGregor, TX).

Interview

Phone Interview #1: Spoke with HR rep and discussed my resume in great detail and discussed extra curricular activities not listed on my resume.

Phone Interview #2: Spoke with hiring manager and 2 lead engineers. Discussed my resume in great detail and in a highly technical manner. Discussed previous RnD work/experience. They asked some thermal/fluids questions.

In-person interview #1: Met with hiring manager and lead engineers. 15-20 minute presentation on previous RnD work from graduate school. Discussed my presentation and the work that I did for an additional 20-30 minutes. They asked some more in depth thermal/fluid, propulsion and theoretical engineering questions.

In-person interview #2: Met with a few more lead engineers. 15-20 minute presentation on previous RnD work from graduate school. Discussed my presentation and the work that I did for an additional 20-30 minutes. They asked some more in depth thermal/fluid, propulsion and theoretical engineering questions.

In-person interview #3: Met with site director and discussed SpaceX, my potential with the company and why I would be a good fit there. Discussed some parts of my resume as well.

In-person interview #4: Met with HR rep and went over potential benefits packages and what the next steps would be if I were to get a job offer.

Interview Questions

• What makes you different from every other engineer that applies to SpaceX   1 Answer

Vehicle Engineer Interview

Interview

Had an initial screening phone call with a recruiter to determine if I was fit for the job. After determining that I was a fit, I then had a technical interview with a member of the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you be able to tell if a sensor was providing bad data?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

The interview process has several steps including a couple of phone interviews, and a final onsite presentation. I heard back on each step very quickly, and had good communication with the recruiter. I appreciate that they gave me the opportunity to fully explore if this was the right role for me as well.

Interview Questions

• why are you interested in working at SpaceX?   1 Answer

Launch Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Atlanta, GA) in October 2017.

Interview

Technical phone interview with the engineering lead of the Vehicle Launch assemby group. Heard back two weeks after the phone interview. Looking for a position in manufacturing. Interview lasted between 20-30 minutes- was very short and relatively fast paced.

Interview Questions

• Greatest technical achievement?   Answer Question
    • If a colleague tells you he/she accidentally gouged 10% of the way through an aluminum component that is a couple thousandths of an inch thick, how would you go about repairing it? Would you even try to repair it?   Answer Question

Travel Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone screening, then two separate phone interviews before coming into the office for the final in person interview. The recruiters were so friendly during the process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for a role at SpaceX?   1 Answer