SpaceX Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SpaceX

3.4

Starlink Electro- Mechanical Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Initial Screening interview, On-site Board interview

My first mistake was telling the interviewer that I was also looking at a Job with Blue origin. He was very unprofessional by stating many derogatory phrases about Blue origin. As I received both offers from SoaceX and Blue origin I realized spaceX was offering far less than Blue. So I rejected the offer and thanked him for the experience. The next day I receive a rejection letter from SoaceX for the position I was offered. I have never seen this level of pettiness in the interview process and I hope none of you have the same experience as I did.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (New York, NY) in June 2020.

Interview

1) Phone interview with recruiter
    2) Interview with hiring manager about my projects and employment history
    For no apparent reason they decided to move with other candidates even though I answered all my questions correctly. They clearly are biased, have favoritism, and cockiness.

Build Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SpaceX (Torrance, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

Applied on the website. A few days later received an email from HR to schedule a phone screen call. Very nice process to schedule availability. You are given a link and asked to fill out availability on the calendar. Based on my response, HR contacted me about the date/time for a phone screen. HR email noted if I had any questions to feel free and reach out. I sent a few questions and never got the reply. The day of interview came and nobody called. I followed up right after with an email. Never got any response either. Quite unprofessional in my opinion. I highly appreciate SpaceX and Elon, their work, and mission. But experiences like these turn off people. There should be a basic professionalism and decency in hiring/recruiting process. Very disappointing . I understand that the company is looking for the top talent, but it doesn’t mean that less talented/experienced candidates can be ghosted. Simply let us know that we were not selected and that’s it. Nothing else is needed. Don’t give false hope please.

Interview Questions

• Nobody called back for interview.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

I applied online in April and I received an email in May to have a first phone screening, then I had another phone interview to talk about the technical part of my skills and my previous experiences

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the Momentum and Shear Stress separately?   1 Answer

Launch Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in May 2020.

Interview

SpaceX recruiter emailed to set up interview about two weeks after applying online. Three of their engineers asked me some questions about my experience, education, and extracurriculars in school (entry-level position.) The second half of the interview was basic engineering knowledge questions related to the position.

Interview Questions

• How is lift generated?   Answer Question
    • How would you design a Quadcopter for Mars?   Answer Question
    • Your propulsion system is leaking. How do you find the leak without disassembling it?   Answer Question
    • If you have a sealed cooler with a spigot at the bottom filled with water, what is the flowrate over time?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

After applying, I received a call for a quick interview/screening. After that, I had an interview with a SpaceX engineer. The interview was straight forward, but I was unprepared for that round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Beam bending problem ... Given a cantilever beam with a load on the free end, where does the beam fail? How does the beam fail, what is the mechanism of the failure?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial phone screen was a thorough and detailed interrogation about resume and past experience. Be prepared to talk about your education, technical experience, etc. Also, be prepared to discuss your interests. Overall, it was professional and engaging.

Production Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SpaceX in March 2020.

Interview

It was a telephone interview and the hiring manager was late because he had to cancel a lot of in person interviews due to the Coronavirus. He apologized and kept our appointment even though he didn't have too.

Loads & Dynamics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

First I got a call from the lead technical recruiter. They ask just general questions about your background and why you want to work for SpaceX. After that, I was called by the hiring manager a few days later. The interview is more technical and dives into the projects and experience in your resume. If you pass that, they schedule you to fly to CA for the presentation and multiple one-on-one interviews (7 in my case) with experienced engineers; most of the questions revolve around your presentation, but a few questions are curve-ball non-engineering questions that have no correct answer but are meant to learn about your approach to solving problems. Many questions are off-the-cuff, so you can more-or-less steer the conversation to topics/projects that you know or want to talk about. Between the presentations and interviews the any engineer can decide to end the recruiting process, at which time a recruiter will let you know.

Interview Questions

• If you were designing a truss, where would you put the larger members and why?   1 Answer
    • How would you estimate the number of potatoes grown in Idaho?   Answer Question
    • Do you know coding?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for SpaceX?   Answer Question
    • How would you improve your project/design if you had more time/resources? How is it better than this other design? How did you perform testing and model correlation?   Answer Question

Integration Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

I was approached via LinkedIn by a recruiter, conducted a phone interview, was invited to formally apply and submit a resume, was invited to an on-site interview and was never contacted again. They couldn't even bother with a rejection, after all that time invested.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what safety wire is and its function? If so, describe it in your own words.   1 Answer