State Farm - Large Company Without the Corporate Culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

"Large Company Without the Corporate Culture"

Current Employee - Customer-Care Supervisor in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Customer-Care Supervisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company truly places value on its employees, so much so that it was jarring to me, since I came from a large corporation with the typical corporate politics. As a leader of front-line professionals, it was an expectation that I treat employees well, support them and their development, be visible, and provide actionable feedback. Front-line professionals were not considered grunt people; they were truly valued. For me, this is what distinguishes State Farm from other companies.

Benefits are available at the first of the month following the hire date. They are better than average, but I wouldn't consider them stellar. They offer two high-deductible plans, one of which has a health-reimbursement account. They also offer an HMO plan, depending on where the employee lives. Other benefits include savings plans and, interestingly enough, a pension plan that requires no employee contribution. Unless going for insurance education, the tuition-reimbursement plan is poor.

The company offers stellar relocation packages to employees, including front-line professionals. It is truly impressive how much invested the company is in its employees.

Cons

A common saying throughout the company is "State Farm nice." What that means is that it can be incredibly difficult to be fired from the company. As my manager stated, State Farm is a company that believes in "rehabilitation." While providing ample support to employees to help them toward success is important, making it difficult to offer even the most minor corrective action to employees only sets the employees up for failure. Many of the antics that I experience and feel powerless to address would never be tolerated at other companies with better customer service, large employee bases, and more industry acclaim.

Advice to Management

Embrace supporting employees to success, but recognize that poor behavior and performance must be addressed in no uncertain terms. Every employee of the company should be held accountable for his/her behavior and performance.

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

"Pretty Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is very organized and offers a lot of support to the agents and team members. Very Professional with a family feel. The benefits depend on which agency you work for. Some State Farm agents are a lot more generous than others.

Cons

A lot of stress on agents to sell sell sell (as with any company) but company is very conservative in regards to risk/underwriting. Meaning, there will be a lot of good clientele that you will have to refer elsewhere because State Farm won't write it.
    If you work in an agency (vs corporate), you can get stuck there as there is very little room for growth.

Advice to Management

Relax your underwriting a little in an effort to be more competitive in the market.
    Provide more opportunities for growth for the team members.

2. "Great company and diverse prouducts."

Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company and great prouduct to offer.

Cons

To much multi tasking. Need to focus on sales or service not both as it lowers productivity. Need more people in local offices to focus on The remarkable service!