State Farm Reviews | Glassdoor

1,617 Ratings

6,755 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is hard to meet" (in 318 reviews)

• "No work/life balance, never felt like it was enough" (in 136 reviews)

"Manager"

Current Employee - Claims Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security and retirement benefits

Cons

Upward mobility and selection process

Advice to Management

Allow front line and mid-level management to make more key decisions

"Too much micromanagement"

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State Farm has good benefits and good people. There is an extensive training program.

Cons

The metrics are unbearable. State Farm is losing customers and great employees because of the micromanagement of each call. Average handle time is recorded daily and "coached" in front of the team on a daily basis if not met. It's nearly impossible to give the quality of customer service that State Farm customers need and deserve during a claim call during the time allotted to do so. The stress and the constant "coaching" is driving good employees away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees-- the people actually doing the job. We are smart people and know what we are doing. We understand it costs the company money when our call times are 30 seconds longer than average. We understand that it means more people need to be on the phone. However, what management doesn't seem to understand is how frustrated the employees AND customers are with being rushed through the claim process. State Farm will more than make up for the handful of extra employees required to be on the phones by retaining more State Farm customers, making new customers with excellent customer service to claimants, and not having to retrain new associates when frustrated associates leave.

"An Amazing Decline/Trust Your Gut"

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

(At the time)

Fair pay and predictable bonus structure
    They were pretty good at covering travel expenses and paying them back quickly
    Diverse workforce & diversity initiatives
    Fun and funny coworkers
    Opportunities for growth
    Again, this was all four years ago and has likely changed

Cons

(At the time and now, according to other comments)

Arrogant to a fault
    Total lack of innovation & willingness to innovate
    Odd attachment to the company's past (which prevents progress)
    High number of veterans (20+ years) who are determined to get that retirement money, and therefore, are resistant to change and technology
    Heavy reliance on command and control management style
    Poor decision-making that leads to losses of all kinds

Advice to Management

When I was first hired to State Farm back in 2010, I felt truly blessed and fortunate. I felt I had found my work "home," and that I would be able to learn and grow over time, and watch my career develop. And guess what? It did. I held three different positions at State Farm, each "better" than the last in terms of challenge, growth, and pay. I used to brag to others about State Farm and actively try to recruit them. I was a true believer and evangelist.

State Farm was like an abusive relationship in that, there were times when things were good! Really good! And then, there were those bad times...

Even though my career was progressing, I was met at every level with some of the most hateful, spiteful, narcissistic leadership you could ever imagine. Egomaniacs and control freaks of the highest order. It was almost like they didn't want us to succeed, for fear that we may take their jobs someday. The behaviors got so bad that I even told one of my managers, "There's no amount of money in this world that could get me to do your job. You all seem miserable." This was toward the end of our relationship, of course. In each role, my managers found something, anything they could to harp on, and once I fixed that, something new would pop up to "fix." It was a moving target. They never taught, they only scolded. They treated employees of every age like children, from age 21 to age 61. It was disgraceful.

Others took the time to focus on my personality. My work product was excellent and above standard according to one, but they always shifted the focus to my "happiness." "Are you happy? You don't seem happy. Others are worried that you're not happy. Are you happy? Your happiness, or lack thereof, is affecting the team." When I'd ask clarifying questions like, "What makes you think I'm not happy?" "How is it affecting the team?" "Describe a time when you distinctly thought I wasn't happy..." they couldn't do it. Never could. It morphed into vague generalizations and hearsay (made up stuff). They could never give me actionable specifics, and therefore, I could never correct the "problems."

At the time, I did not realize that I was witnessing the beginning of the end. Everything that happened to me was symptomatic of a company preparing to enter into decline. Instead of leadership banding together and figuring out how to fix it, they chose to eat their babies. And they're paying for it dearly now.

The second part of this title is to trust your gut, and this is where I'll speak to current employees: When I quit State Farm, people thought I was crazy. I had a great title and pay. I had climbed through the ranks relatively quickly. The path was clear, but I wasn't willing to fight off psychopaths along the way. So I trusted my belief that I could do better for myself, and I did. You don't deserve poor treatment from anyone, and especially not your employer. Sometimes you have to vote with your feet. Although you will be brainwashed, threatened, and intimidated, State Farm is not the end all be all. There is life outside of SF. There are other industries. Regardless of what you do, you have picked up some valuable skills that are highly transferable in the marketplace. Don't give up on yourself. Start saving money and get out of there. You will survive and you will be better for it.

"Claim Representative"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package is good but it used to be great.

Cons

They don’t value their employees the way they used. I worked there more than 35 years.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to management at the highest levels and that is to return to the values this company was built on or you will fail in the long run. Most everyone is miserable under the new directives.

"Industry Leader"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

State Farm is an organic company and has a history of financial stability. It is a rare company that still offers a pension, 401k and benefits. The professional development was very desirable but some of the recent changes in some departments have made it hard for employees to engage,

Cons

The work/life balance has been sacrificed with resent changes. This change has become very rigid compared to the past and has had an effect on the morale of the organization. Otherwise, this would have been an overall great organization. It almost appears punitive to accept the employment offer.

Advice to Management

Employees helped build the legacy of State Farm of 96 years and it did so sometimes with families (some even working for the company). These changes are tearing this legacy down with the rigidness and decisions that forget that the employees are internal customers and some are external customers.

6. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

Very nice and laidback environment. The time is flexible depends on what manager you are reporting to. The work/life balance is outstanding. The benefit is very good and one of the few places who still offer pension plan.

Cons

The work is very laidback and not much to learn. The technology they use is still quite behind other technology company. If you are looking to retire, it is a good company, however, if you are a young engineers who are looking to learn and grow your career path, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

I would like to see the company step out of the comfort zone and start using new, cutting edge technologies.

7. "Express"

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

Good pay and promoting opportunity

Cons

Metrics can be difficult at times

8. "Great Company"

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

Awesome work environment, great people, pay, bonuses, and benefits.

Cons

Training was overwhelming, demanding, and unusually constant.

9. "Account Representative"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with different individuals on a daily basis

Cons

Every client thinks you can change the pricing of their policy

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people who work hard everyday to keep the office running

"Too much about Metrics sadly"

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management personalities are great! Ive always wanted to work here since I was in high school.

Cons

Focus solely on Metrics, Peer Reviews are ridiculous, needs to be more positive instead of constantly changing things and putting more on you.

Advice to Management

If it would matter Id say, but it doesnt unfortunately. Id be repeating everyone else

Showing 6,755 of 7,093 reviews