State Farm Reviews | Glassdoor

1,304 Ratings

6,151 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Used to have a really good work/life balance until they changed to a point system (in 275 reviews)

• No work life balance, if you have a family this is not the right job (in 112 reviews)

"Too much micromanagement"

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State Farm has good benefits and good people. There is an extensive training program.

Cons

The metrics are unbearable. State Farm is losing customers and great employees because of the micromanagement of each call. Average handle time is recorded daily and "coached" in front of the team on a daily basis if not met. It's nearly impossible to give the quality of customer service that State Farm customers need and deserve during a claim call during the time allotted to do so. The stress and the constant "coaching" is driving good employees away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees-- the people actually doing the job. We are smart people and know what we are doing. We understand it costs the company money when our call times are 30 seconds longer than average. We understand that it means more people need to be on the phone. However, what management doesn't seem to understand is how frustrated the employees AND customers are with being rushed through the claim process. State Farm will more than make up for the handful of extra employees required to be on the phones by retaining more State Farm customers, making new customers with excellent customer service to claimants, and not having to retrain new associates when frustrated associates leave.

"Prior to our reorganization we were concerned ourselves both with satisfying customers and developing our people."

Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An attractive major medical healthcare package.
    Tuition reimbursement after one year of employment, with qualifying grades.
    Employee discount program, local and US.

Cons

Salary is no longer competitive.
    PTO / sick time is no longer advantageous, especially for new employees.
    Inability to keep up with technology trends and customer demand will surely cause the company to lose market share.
    Demands places on management are unreasonable, met with unreasonable expectations to subordinates.
    Policies are conflicting and accountability is inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Reorganization and reduction of has occurred at the incorrect level across multiple departments. We've paid multiple third party vendors millions of policyholder dollars to tell us what we already knew about OUR business, implement changes that were not to the benefit of OUR customers (remember those MUTUAL policyholders - the ones, who in theory, own our business??)

Training is poor, skill sets have been reduced to glorified phone operators, management oversees metrics - not quality driven, customer centric service and deliverables. New departments exist purely to be proud of the paper they produce. Yet, VPOs and OVPs are amazed we continue to lose market share.... that JD Power scores are failing.... customer complaints are soaring.... attrition and termination rates are at an all time high. Morale is plummeting daily, alongside Agent and customer confidence.

"Unrecognizable from the company that hired me"

Current Employee - Claim Associate in DuPont, WA
    Current Employee - Claim Associate in DuPont, WA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The insurance industry is hard to break into. They are willing to train you from the ground up. The mission statement takes pride in your development. Movement if you want to relocate

Cons

Multiple actions in the last few years to move to KPI driven, call center. Toxic culture. Constant micromanagement. No work life balance. Removal of pivotal benefits.

Advice to Management

State Farm was the highest rated national insurer because our customer's did not feel like a number. Now, the customer is only a number. As an employee, I feel like a number. The direction toward centralizing has removed the pride of quality work and the "soul" that made State Farm unique. Metrics are not a replacement for humanity.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Birmingham, AL

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, stability; Great opportunities if located or mobile to Bloomington, IL, Atlanta, GA, Dallas, TX, Phoenix, AZ, or Tacoma, WA.

Cons

limited number of work locations (and dwindling opportunitie) if not located in or mobile to Bloomington, IL, Atlanta, GA, Dallas, TX, Phoenix, AZ, or Tacoma, WA.

Advice to Management

Get away from the call center/ heavily micro-managed environment for professional level employees (reveals lack of management trust and respect)

5. "intern"

Pros

very fun and interactive fun

Cons

hm none that i can think of

Advice to Management

keep doing what youre doing

6. "Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job, good people, rewarding job

Cons

Nothing I can think of

7. "Good, hard to get data"

Pros

Enjoyable work experience, good work/life balance

Cons

Data is hard to access and it can take months to get access to data (even data without PII)

8. "Archaic Industry"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, old-school pension, strong moral compass.

Cons

Massive forthcoming change coming towards the entire change. Questionable as to whether the organization is moving fast enough to secure long-term hegemony.

Advice to Management

Keep changing. Even the Titanic sank. Older employees may hate it, but you need young, new talent, and you will need to change to keep up with the marketplace.

9. "Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Columbus, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Columbus, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission learning a lot and you make great friends with your customers

Cons

Super intense first 30 days finishing the training modules. Really hard to stay focused with all the information.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, be nice to your customers and appreciate the hard work they put in

10. "Excellent Employer"

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

Great benefits, excellent hours, team environment, growth, location

Cons

N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Showing 6,151 of 6,454 reviews