State Farm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 7, 2018
1,864 Interview Reviews

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at State Farm (Mishawaka, IN) in January 2012.

Interview

First a phone interview with HR out of California. Then a panel interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult person & how you dealt with the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State Farm (Culver City, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

I got a call the same day I applied online for the position to come in and take a pre-interview skills test. Four days later I went in for a fairly easy skills test and personality test, I was told my results the same day and was told I would be contacted later for a phone interview.
    During the phone interview I was asked the typical "How do you motivate others" or "How do you deal with a team member who is pulling thier own weight."
    Once we passed the standard questions I was asked what my salary req were and I made them give me a range which turned out to be waay below what I am making. That bein said we ended the interview and I was told if I found something more senior on thier job site to contact the recreuiter.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   2 Answers

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Panel competency based

Agency Field Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Applied through company website. Emailed to set up interview time and was a panel interview of situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with your boss and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Submit application and takes about 2 months to receive a response for an interview if selected. After you are selected for an interview you have a video conference with upper management along with other fellow specialist who ask you a series of questions pertaining to your experiences.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it   Answer Question

Agency Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

Process took over three months. First met with recruiter for one on one interview. Then had a one on one with the Agency Recruiting Specialist. Did a number of online analysis and tests. Next was promised a Candidate Structured interview with Recruiting specialist and two to three other specialists. This interview would check for key competencies or behaviors State Farm was looking for. Showed up for interview and had to wait extra 15 minutes while the Agency Recruiting Specialist tried to find at least one other person for the interview. Passed that phase although never received my Score. Recruiting Specialist kept promising to send it but never did.

Next phase was to prepare a business plan. Recruiting specialist gave me the names of 5 Agency owners to meet with and two sales leaders to help create plan. Three out of the five agency owners either never returned multiple calls or said they were to busy to met with me. On my own I contacted four other Agency owners. I felt during my presentation that they did not like that I interviewed owners they did not specify. Called both the sales leaders. One never returned any of my calls. The other was very helpful and gave some great suggestions. On the day of presenting my plan the Sales leader I met was not able to be there. The Sales Leader who never returned my calls was part of the interview and made a joke about the fact that he never returned my calls. He dismissed parts of my business plan that the other Sales Leader i had met told me to put in my plan. When I came back that the other leader had suggested he wanted to see this in my plan the response was well he isn't here and I am. This threw me off my game but I continued on. My plan contained all the items the Sales Leader I met with suggested I needed to have in it..

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you were faced wit an unethical situation and how you handled it?   1 Answer

Agency Producer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at State Farm in February 2013.

Interview

Make sure you have superior sales skills. You will need to be prepared to handle hypothetical questions. They will screen hundreds of applicants, if you already have your life/health and property/casualty licenses, you will be light years ahead of all other applicants and your chances of being selected will be extremely high. That means you will need less training!

1. What is the best sales experience you've ever had
    2. Tell about your best customer
    3. Tell about a time you went above and beyond for a sale

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult customer service experience you've had to deal with?   1 Answer

Agency Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Houston, TX).

Interview

Had 3 phone interviews over a 3 week period. Was then invited for face to face panel interview with 3 hiring managers. The interview started with being given a sample resume and given 4-5 minutes to look over the "candidate's" experience and job history. Was then brought in to role play a cold call scenario with the subject (who was played by one of the hiring managers) with the purpose of getting the candidate interested in becoming a State Farm agent. Was not prepared for this, but nonetheless, thought I did well. The rest of the interview consisted of stereotypical behavioral based questions. Maybe 7-10. Research these type of questions and study the top 25 and you should be very well prepared. Overall, I thought my interview went extremely well, but was not offered the position. I think i lost out to someone who was either more experienced, or an internal candidate. No hard feelings on my part. One other thing, they are extremely tight lipped about pay. i asked all 3 interviewers at different points during the phone interviews, and was given a standard answer of "state farm does not disclose this info until an offer is given".

Interview Questions

• Again the behavioral based questions were not difficult...things like "tell me a time you had to develop a business partner relationship, and how did that work for you?"
      Or, "tell me about a time you had to take on a leadership role at your job...   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Johnsbury, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Saint Johnsbury, VT) in August 2013.

Interview

While this all started off well, things deteriorated over time. In my case, I had to wait and chase after the regional manager. I started proposal work and talking with agents before my meeting. Some were very pro, some were very con. To make a long story short, I was the driving factor -- perhaps a motivation test. But, as I neared close to 100 hours of prep work prior to a "presentation review", and finally got some hard data I was looking for from the manager 2 days prior.

I came to the conclusion what they wanted was mathematically impossible in the desired territory -- which it sounds like they didn't particularly care about.

I did my work late at night..... as I was running a business. Things are kept "mysterious" until you reach the "next level". It was an agent who told me that training was 3 months several states away.

Interview Questions

• None. It was straightforward. It simply seemed like a very long process, with questionable return. I blew the presentation. But, by that point, I thought the whole thing was somewhat bizarre. Lots of support from the recruiter and the initial company helper. Very lax manager -- which had me worried.   1 Answer

Agent Interview

Interview

Internet first then structured interview then business plan proposal.