Employee Review

Current Employee

Great place

Oct 9, 2020 - Crew Member in Raleigh, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, form life long friendships, surrounded by so many snacks

Cons

It’s retail and you’re surrounded by so many snacks

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Best Job I’ve Ever Had

May 17, 2021 - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Happy welcoming environment, friendly coworkers

Cons

Lots of standing, heavy lifting, can be physically tiring

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

A Great Place to Work

May 12, 2021 - Crew Member in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Trader Joe's is a fun, rewarding place to work. There's a good team atmosphere - everyone does everything, from receiving deliveries to ringing up customers to getting carts to stocking shelves. It's not the typical low-morale retail atmosphere, because you're expected to do excellent work, and you're rewarded for doing it. That means you're working with motivated people, which is a lot more fun. The work itself is varied and interesting - you work every section of the store, though your schedule and the delivery schedule make a big difference to what you get most exposure to. I mostly did mornings, and that's when we received our wet (refrigerated) and frozen deliveries, so that's what I majored in. There's also a nice mix of people work and project work - you're doing customer service, but also working on getting sections stocked. I enjoyed doing early shifts (usually 5am-1pm or thereabouts), because it meant the first half of my day was focused on putting a section together, and then the second half was about making people happy. Trader Joe's is really customer focused, and the products are excellent, so you really do get to make people's days. That's always fun. And the pay is good.

Cons

You usually need to be able to work very early, very late, or possibly both. You also need to be able to work in a fast-paced environment, especially around the holidays. It's physically demanding - be prepared to haul some pallets, lift heavy boxes, and load and unload full carts of groceries quickly while making pleasant chit-chat with the customer. All that takes a toll on your body. You also need to be able to handle extremely cold conditions if it's your turn to do a frozen pull - you'll be in that walk-in freezer for a while.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Trader Joe's.