Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

I went into the store and handed the acting manager my application. She looked it over, then immediately asked, "What's your favorite Trader Joe's item?" I answered, and then she signed me up for an interview the very next day. I had an interview with the assistant manager, where he took me to the back of the store and we sat in chairs across from each other. It was very casual. He asked me very normal questions about why I wanted to work at TJ's and what I was hoping to do. He was friendly and I answered everything in a friendly but concise manner. I had prepared for most of the questions he'd asked. When the interview was over I asked him questions about himself. He then invited me to come for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was much the same and he asked nearly the same questions. I asked him a lot of questions about himself and his opinion of the store and he spent most of the interview talking--more than I did actually. At the end of the interview he asked me to reapply for a manager position and mentioned that if I didn't get the management position he'd hire me as a crew member. Very laid back and earnest interview process. There was no background check or drug test.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Immediately upon application, a manager took the time to speak with me about my experience and availability. I was given a call to sit down with him and one other manager shortly after. He was easy-going, friendly, and fun to speak to. The interview was conducted in the back-room of the store and felt very comfortable and informal. After this interview, I was called back sit down with the Captain (General Manager) of the store.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Temecula, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

3 Interviews. First with fellow crew. Second with Mates (asst. mgrs). Third with Captain (manager). All three interviews pretty much asked the same exact questions. Very friendly interviews. I wasn't intimidated at all.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you were challenged and were able to resolve it.   1 Answer
    • What can you bring to the team   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Temecula, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was a 4 step process. Applied in store and got a mini interview on the spot. Then had 3 formal interviews, 2 with 2 mates each, and one with the Captain. Questions were pretty standard and I felt they were looking for a positive, hard working person.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite TJ's product? Why TJs? How would you describe your favorite product? Describe a situation when you dealt with a difficult customer. What does excellent customer service mean to you? Hobbies? What role in TJ's are you most excited about? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Describe what you think working as a Crew member would be like.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Boulder, CO) in September 2017.

Interview

First interview was about 45 minutes. I showed up 5 minutes before, and was told to talk around until he was ready to start. He found me 10 minutes later and we started the interview in a little outdoor closed off area. The Mate that interviewed me was extremely nice, very casual interview. One of the only interviews I felt comfortable actually talking about myself, so they are very personality driven. Scheduled a second interview for two days from then.

Interview Questions

• Favorite product?
      How would you describe your personality?
      Dream job?
      What would be your least/favorite part about the job?
      Have you ever gotten feedback from your past supervisors?
      How does your last job(s) reflect your abilities to work here?
      Strengths and weaknesses?
      Are you applying for other jobs?
      Just spoke about my work history   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Interview

It was relatively easy and informal. Trader Joe's is all about people interaction so if you are a good conversationalist it is pretty straight forward. I ended up asking almost as many questions about my interviewer as he asked of me because we were both transplants from California.

Store Associate Interview

Interview

Nice interview. Asked all the right questions that pertained to working for the company. If they like you, a second one may get scheduled. Interviewer was nice, calm, and kept the pace.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied in store on a tuesday and a mate immediately set up an interview on that thursday. Had a second interview with 2 mates on that friday afternoon. Had a third interview with the captain of the store on that saturday morning

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I walked in my completed application to the Trader Joe's I desired to work at. After handing in my application and talking to one of the assistant managers, I was handed a card with the assistant manager's name and store contact into and given a time frame of when they would contact me for an interview. They called me back within the time frame they mentioned, and scheduled me for an interview with one of the assistant managers. After my first interview, I was called back for a second interview with the manager the next day. Incredibly nice and non-intimidating people to interview with. Genuinely looking to find hard-working, friendly and positive people to work for them.

Anonymous Employee in Hewlett, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Hewlett, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

turn in your application in person. then have the 1st interview and then a second. Since I was applying for the artistic ability position I also had to recreate a store item tag.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is your favorite meal to make in a perfect world?   1 Answer