Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2018

2.3

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Turned in application in person, was scheduled for interview the next day. Easy interview, mostly emphasizing how you fit within the Trader Joe's culture. Customer service related questions - most important. Friendly demeanor a plus.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

They asked me about my background and to describe myself. They asked me about my previous work experience and how I thought I would be able to make a good fit at trader joes.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer with a problem?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Met with manager and mate for informal interview. Was made to feel comfortable right away and was asked common sense questions about work ethics, personality, how I would react in certain situations, etc.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New Orleans, LA) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview was very fast,i had to fill out an application as well as hand in a hard copy of my resume .they asked why i wanted to work there and asked who referred me,

Interview Questions

• why did i want to work there
      where did i live
      how much experience i had   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Quick to get me through interviews, but it took them three weeks to give me an answer, despite telling me it would only take a few days. The answer was no, but they refused to tell me why. Though they did say that I could apply at a different location.

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Tallahassee, FL).

Interview

My interview was done while the store opened. They were quick about it, asked availability, experience, and just some small talk sentences. It was a pleasant and relaxed interview surrounded by a construction for building the insides of the store. It was also a wonderful experience to watch the creating the wonderful hand painted decor that Trader Joe's is known for. It gave a nice little look into their company, which I had no idea about at the time of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

I went to a job fair for a new location and was interviewed by crew members, then asked to return to interview with manger in two days. I was offered the job the next business day. They focus on customer service experience and qualities that would add to the team.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the most challenging parts of your current job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Westwood, NJ) in April 2018.

Interview

I gave this place two chances and they were both negative and I will never apply at trader Joe's again. It is definitely a discriminating game, they are running why they force you to come in person, because they are trying to find how old you are and what you look like and if you don't fit their liking than you will not be chosen. The first part of the interview is a screening process, after you fill in a paper application than if they like you than your moved on to two more interviews one with a mate and the last with a captain. The first time I interviewed at this store; I met with a mate that wouldn't even meet my eyes during the screening and acted bored and cold, no matter how I tried to engage the mate in conversation. I knew immediately I wasn't moving in since the mate didn't even give me a chance during the screening. I tried to follow up, to find out if I could least get a chance and received a rejection email after I spoke about my experience with a crew member claimimg there were no positions open. The second time I interviewed, it was very awkward, I came in with an application already filled out and went to the customer service desk and had a very fast screening than they scheduled me for a follow up interview, the next day. They had me wait over 20 minutes, than I I came a couple of minutes early and went to the customer service desk, for my interview and they didn't seem to know why I was there and who I would be interviewing with which, I thought was very unprofessional. I was only given a card with the scheduled date and time so I assumed they already set up who I was interviewing with, beforehand. Instead, I had to wait over 20 minutes, to interview with two mates that were too busy chatting with each other to even greet me. Finally, when they acknowledged my existence, they gave their names and took me outside to interview on a dirty bench and table which was a strange place to interview and gave no privacy. Additionally, it was a hot and windy day so it made it hard at times to answer questions when your already nervous and your eyes are being blinded by the sun, and your sweating from both heat and nervousness. They both kept firing questions at me and it was very awkward, trying to meet the eyes of two people, while attempting to stay engaging and friendly when it felt like an interrogration than an interview. Additionally, one of the mates kept stating it was hard labor job and I told her plainly that I handled inventory duties at my previous job yet, she kept asking me, the same question numerous times during the interview if I can carry 50 pounds and it became apparent that I was being judged for being a young slender woman so she just assumed that I couldn't carry the weight. Moreover, both mates kept going off topic on tangents which made the interview more awkward and I had to keep trying to get them to focus on the interview in front of them. The interview took over a hour and afterwards they took me back to the customer service desk and told they would be in touch if they are going to schedule another interview. I just felt so used and I knew I didn't pass whatever qualifications they wanted in a new candidate because, they were very dismissive of me and my time. They just shoved my application in a folder and pretended like I didn't exist. I had to get their attention, to try to find out, what the next steps were and how I would be contacted. It was an overwhelming waste of time and gas. I will never interview at trader Joe's again because, it is pretty obvious that they are only looking for certain "types" of people and if you don't fit their model or if they plain don't like you due to their own prejudice or discrimination than, you basically just wasted your time and gas like I did. I received an even more cold and dismissive phone call from the captain over a week later that said that I wouldn't be moving and no reason was given. I called to try to get feedback and was told coldly that no feedback can be given due to company policy which was concerning that, I couldn't get reason after wasting my time time and gas for this location. Overall, a very negative experience that was made even worse when I became very I'll after ingesting their food there and was sick for days. So apparently this location has terrible interviewing and stale food. Maybe another location would be better but so far, I only received negative experiences from the locations that were the closet to me.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

The interview process is informal and comfortable. They ask about your work history and try to get a feel for your personality in regards to interactions with coworkers and customers

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Very laid back. I truly enjoyed the interview and getting to know who I would be working for. Best company to work for quite honestly and the best people around.