Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

I went into the store and handed the acting manager my application. She looked it over, then immediately asked, "What's your favorite Trader Joe's item?" I answered, and then she signed me up for an interview the very next day. I had an interview with the assistant manager, where he took me to the back of the store and we sat in chairs across from each other. It was very casual. He asked me very normal questions about why I wanted to work at TJ's and what I was hoping to do. He was friendly and I answered everything in a friendly but concise manner. I had prepared for most of the questions he'd asked. When the interview was over I asked him questions about himself. He then invited me to come for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was much the same and he asked nearly the same questions. I asked him a lot of questions about himself and his opinion of the store and he spent most of the interview talking--more than I did actually. At the end of the interview he asked me to reapply for a manager position and mentioned that if I didn't get the management position he'd hire me as a crew member. Very laid back and earnest interview process. There was no background check or drug test.

Crew Member Interview

Interview

It was relatively easy and informal. Trader Joe's is all about people interaction so if you are a good conversationalist it is pretty straight forward. I ended up asking almost as many questions about my interviewer as he asked of me because we were both transplants from California.

Store Associate Interview

Interview

Nice interview. Asked all the right questions that pertained to working for the company. If they like you, a second one may get scheduled. Interviewer was nice, calm, and kept the pace.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I walked in my completed application to the Trader Joe's I desired to work at. After handing in my application and talking to one of the assistant managers, I was handed a card with the assistant manager's name and store contact into and given a time frame of when they would contact me for an interview. They called me back within the time frame they mentioned, and scheduled me for an interview with one of the assistant managers. After my first interview, I was called back for a second interview with the manager the next day. Incredibly nice and non-intimidating people to interview with. Genuinely looking to find hard-working, friendly and positive people to work for them.

Anonymous Employee in Hewlett, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Hewlett, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

turn in your application in person. then have the 1st interview and then a second. Since I was applying for the artistic ability position I also had to recreate a store item tag.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is your favorite meal to make in a perfect world?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlotte, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied in person. Upon handing my application and resume to the Mate at the desk, he asked me a few questions. A few days later, I did get a call asking me to come in for an interview. The interview took place back in the warehouse part of the store. The Mate interviewing me was very nice and fun to talk to. I could tell he really loved the company and his job. Overall, the experience was great. Sadly, I received a call from the Mate that interviewed me stating I was not selected for the job. He said it was a hard decision, but he chose to go with another candidate. I was heartbroken. That's okay, I'll be back every 14 days to resubmit my application until they understand I'm not going away.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

I dropped of my application and resume in person to a Mate (manager) and she asked me a few questions right then and scheduled me for an interview. I had 2 separate interviews with other Mates and a final one with the Capitan (GM). They were all very friendly and approachable. One asked more traditional interview questions and one asked more casual "get to know you as a person" type questions. I think the style and number of interviews really depends on the store. Be friendly and come prepared to ask them some questions too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (State College, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

The process was low pressure, and the interviewer was friendly and respectful. I was asked several times if I had any questions and was given ample time to think of them.

Interview Questions

• Asked about job descriptions on last page of application   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2017.

Interview

They scheduled me for an interview after a couple questions and a quick glance at my resume I had brought in. I interviewed two times and both people I interviewed with really gv the impression of wanting me to be comfortable and be myself. Definitely my favorite interviews I've ever been on! They mostly asked questions about who I am as person , as well as the to be expected "how do you handle... or "what one are you'd like to improve on".

(I am not sure yet whether I got the offer but that isn't m option to put!)

Interview Questions

• How do you work within a team?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Interview

Setting up the interview was a little complicated due to my own schedule but was able to do it. Interview went well. Very laid back, which is a good thing. I was nervous at first but the interviwers assured me i didnt need to be. All was good. Although it took a little bit to get called back, i was made an offer.