Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2018

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Paramus, NJ) in February 2018.

Interview

Terrible interview. They judge you, based on how you look and sound. I travelled far to get to the location to fill out an application. I had a quick screening with one mate than I was scheduled to another interview. This interview was down to earth and the interviewer was friendly. She scheduled me to meet with the captain for my follow up interview. This is where it gets strange. Everytime I went to this interview on time, they always kept me waiting and told me to walk around the store which I felt was unprofessional; why set up a time for an interview if you won't conduct an interview on time. I went to the store on time and asked for the captain, I introduced myself to him and he was not friendly and seemed surprised to see me. There was no smile, greeting, or even a handshake. He told me to walk around the store and he would be with me to interview and he did not conduct the interview at all. Instead, I met with another man who claimed he was a mate but had a crew member tag and he was unfriendly and cold during the entire interview process. When I asked why I wasn't able to meet with the captain, he was very shady about it with some lame excuse about the captain being in a meeting, and he kept saying that trader Joe has a 3 in person interview rule. I knew immediately that he wouldn't be giving me a chance, because of some personal bias or pershaps jealously, since I had a degree and he kept saying weirdly throughout the interview process that he never finished his degree. Afterwards, he gave me a card and I had to wait a couple of days to hear back from the captain to schedule another interview. By this point, I knew already I wouldn't be getting an offer, they were very dismissive of me afterwards when I tried to bring up how I was treated in my last interview and I just wanted a chance to be considered. moreover, when I finally got an interview with the captain wasn't even attempting at this point to get to know me as an applicant, instead he was monotone, cold, and dismissive during the whole process. I travelled to this location over 3 times and wasted gas for these interviews and it really frustrating that companies like these would waste your time and money when they already made a decision. The last strike was they called mid day on the last day of the week and had the nerve to ask how my day was going like I needed small talk for all the time, that they took from me. After the sad attempt to make small talk, the captain told me they were moving on to another candidancy and I didn't even bother to answer why, because other interview reviews had showed me that this company is very bias in their hiring process. I'm honestly just glad that I didn't receive an offer. I took a chance on them and it wasn't worth it. I recommend not to waste time on going back and forth with interviews unless there is an offer on the table. Furthemore, I don't recommend applying to trader Joes at all for employment; they treat applicants poorly and waste so much of your time before making a decision.

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

I went into the store and handed the acting manager my application. She looked it over, then immediately asked, "What's your favorite Trader Joe's item?" I answered, and then she signed me up for an interview the very next day. I had an interview with the assistant manager, where he took me to the back of the store and we sat in chairs across from each other. It was very casual. He asked me very normal questions about why I wanted to work at TJ's and what I was hoping to do. He was friendly and I answered everything in a friendly but concise manner. I had prepared for most of the questions he'd asked. When the interview was over I asked him questions about himself. He then invited me to come for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was much the same and he asked nearly the same questions. I asked him a lot of questions about himself and his opinion of the store and he spent most of the interview talking--more than I did actually. At the end of the interview he asked me to reapply for a manager position and mentioned that if I didn't get the management position he'd hire me as a crew member. Very laid back and earnest interview process. There was no background check or drug test.

Crew Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2018.

Interview

Turned in application and got asked "what my favorite item at Trader Joe's was." Went in for interview with 2 mates the next day. Very easy and laid back. I am still waiting for a callback but I feel it went well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed an interview date and time 3 days later.I came in and had an application filled already. I met with a mate in the Chelsea location at a secluded area away from the customers and it seemed to go well. I was very relaxed but a bit nervous at first but after talking to him for about 10 minutes of situational questions about my previous job, and other questions about my availability he told me to come back for an interview the very next day with the Captain. I went in and the questions told were very similar. It felt like a casual conversation with her. After it was done I now have to wait a few days to see if I have a job offer. I did pretty well for the second interview but I got a bit stuck on one question but still managed to remain casual. I also wore sneakers that day because it was freezing I swear my toes were about to fall off, but she was looking at my shoes (I hope I didn't ruin my chances over that).

Tips

1) Don't rush the interview just be honest and casual
    2)Remember the interviewer's name in case you need to make a follow-up call
    3)Research about the company (Food Donation Program)
    4)Ask questions because it shows how interested you are in working here.

I'll update this when I receive a callback.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to handle a difficult customer. How did you handle the situation?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Trader Joes?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Horrible experience, I interview at a hiring fair at Chelsea store in New York,NY. I came on time and when I arrive it was pack and they already started the interviews, which for me is not fair, otherwise I would had came before. Their were at least 4 Managers and out the 4 of them 3 did thorough interviews to the applicants and 1 did 2 minute interviews, the 2 minute manager was the one I got, this man acted like he did not care about me or my answers after making me feel bad he tells me their called in about a week. They never did, two weeks later i get a rejection about too many applicants and i will not be interview, this makes no sense, i was early, and had open availability and answer all my questions right, but i think the 2 minute manager was done with me from the start. This hurts, I really wanted this job, and they took forever to contact me from the fair, I could had spend that time doing other interviews but really thought I had a chance with Trader Joes. A huge waste of time, If you read other reviews they also was not hire at this location, I advise to not apply for this location for it will be useless. I won't ever apply to this overrated grocery store again.

Corporate Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monrovia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Monrovia, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online initially in October 2017. I received the invitation for a phone interview in November and after passing the phone screen, landed an in-person interview at their headquarters in December. It was a relatively pleasant process and typical of a large company. The people I met with were extremely friendly and made me want to work there.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work experience that qualifies you for this position.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I submitted a paper application and got a call to set up an interview about two weeks later. I interviewed with a mate a few days after that. It was very relaxed and we had a good conversation. We then set up an interview with the store captain for the next week, which was just as relaxed and we had a good conversation again. He asked different questions from the mate, but essentially both of them wanted to gauge if I was social enough to engage with customers and be a team player with a good attitude. They also spent a lot of time--at least half of each hour-long interview--answering my questions, and they were more than happy to do it. I left both interviews feeling great about working at Trader Joe's. I haven't heard back yet but I hope they offer me a position!

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

From what I can remember, when I submitted my application, along with my resume, they asked me a few basic questions. Maybe that's part one of an interview. They then called me a few days later to schedule an in-person interview. I was interviewed by a Mate. The interview went really well, and instead of having to be interviewed by the Captain, I was offered the job on the spot. Everyone at Trader Joe's is so friendly and understanding.

Crew Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Easy interview, Very laid back and un-intimidating. Two mates conducted the interview, which lasted about 15 min. They ask questions about previous work experience, what a day at TJ's would be like and how you deal with customer service.

Cashier Interview

Interview

I was told by a young man half my age that I was not getting an interview in person, because I was not qualified.

I feel this is age discrimination. I have great references and years of organic market and sales experience. I also have a culinary degree and a food handler certifcation.

It is poor business practice to not interview qualified applicants. Disappointing.