Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2018

2.3

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2013.

Interview

I was emailed about 3-5 days after I sent in my resume and cover letter. I had a phone interview with the recruiter who was very nice, but also very pressing on actual customer service experience. It started off with an overview of the company and then she had me go through my resume. After that she asked basic questions about career goals, customer service experience, your basic day on your job.

I come from a Managerial Consulting background and have leadership, team-building, and supervisory experience (about 4 years worth). In the interview she pressed me about how I was more of corporate person. I countered with I deal with people, provide customer service, and have customer service experience from college etc. Clearly they only want people with customer service experience or someone that could wow them more than I could. They are looking for "career growth hunger, passion, enthusiasm, basic intelligence etc." I guess they didn't see that in me, and that isn't a surprise considering there is no job offers from any of the people on here who interview for this job either. Why waste people's time? Just do a better job reviewing resumes.

Additionally, there is no career growth. That was made clear even-though they promote it on their career website. You can become "Captain" - their word for store manager - after several years, but after that it was clear that there is really no more growth - "our regional VP have been in their positions 15-20 years." I hear the store managers have complete control and make up to the 6 figures, so it isn't all that bad if that is where you want to stop. So don't pick anything higher than Store Manager as your career goal.

All and all, I would suggest not wasting your time if you don't have 5 years + of retail grocery supervisory experience - just check the LinkedIn profiles of Assistant Store Managers there: it will give you a clue!

Moreover, one last quote paraphrase: We go through 30,000 plus applications a year and only hire 100 something - so you know your odds, as even if you get the interviews, you can see from the reviews, that they don't hire many at all - what a waste of human capital resources!

So, all and all, it was a bit disappointing they wasted my time; they could clearly see from my resume I was not the fit they were looking for. Oh well, I have other positions that are higher up and pay better calling me for interviews!

Good luck to rest of you out there!

Interview Questions

• None. Go through your resume, relate it to the job; describe your basic work day; etc   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Santa Barbara, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

email after 7 week of waiting, said that I was qualified for the position but they did not have any at this time. they want to contact me as positions opened up in my area. I got the impression that they were just looking for future candidates and did not have a real job offer.

Interview Questions

• if I was still interested in the position   1 Answer

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Interview

I turned in the application and was given a card with a number. The lady said that there were no jobs available, but if anything were to come up she would call me. She asked about experience and education, but asked if i would apply back during the start of the school year.

Applicant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

When I first handed in my application the manager confirmed my knowledge that Trader Joe's was not currently hiring (I checked the web site previously). However, he was very friendly and encouraged me by saying he would review my application anyway and keep it on file just in case something came up. He encouraged me to call and check in and he asked me a few questions on the spot about some of the information in my application. I was so delighted when I was called for an interview about a week later. When I went in for the official (first?) interview, two assistant managers conducted it. They only asked me two questions! They asked me why I wanted to work there and if I thought I was capable of carrying out the duties in the job description. They were both dressed in their Hawaiian shirts and jeans, very casual, so I wouldn't recommend dressing up too much, and they were both extremely friendly and non-threatening. They said they would call me one way or the other in the next two weeks and while I write this it is the start of the second week, so I'm still crossing my fingers!

Interview Questions

• Even though I thought about my answer ahead of time - I was still thrown when they asked me why I wanted to work there! I went on and on about how much I love *shopping* there without stating the reasons I wanted to *work* there . . . sigh.   1 Answer

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Orange, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Great! Two step interview, one with two mates and the other with the Captain and the scheduler of the store. The questions they asked were directed towards mostly my personality and the things I had written down on my resume. Other than that the process was rather simple and they were very kind through the entire interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you found a penguin the freezer?   78 Answers

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Pasadena, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Trader Joe's was very professional and organized. There was 1 phone interview and 2 on-site interviews. The people are happy and love working there. They moved fairly quick and made the offer.

They have solid, long term employees who love the company and are up front in their questioning and honesty. Once the phone interview was over, 1 week later in the office for face to face interview, then the second face to face was the next week.

Enjoyed the experience and would recommend Trader Joe's for future prospects.

Itern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Canton, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Canton, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

it was fair with a few odd ball questions. Interviewer was straight forward. They did take a while to call me in which was fine. I did not get a tour of the job site

Interview Questions

• how much do you want to get paid   1 Answer

Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Paramus, NJ).

Interview

It took three interviews to get hired - each with a different person. Talking about experience and how you would fit into the role - what you could bring to the store. The final interview was a three person review. Best advice is be yourself - enthusiastic about the products and company.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite Trader Joes product?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Interview

I was told by a young man half my age that I was not getting an interview in person, because I was not qualified.

I feel this is age discrimination. I have great references and years of organic market and sales experience. I also have a culinary degree and a food handler certifcation.

It is poor business practice to not interview qualified applicants. Disappointing.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Paramus, NJ) in March 2013.

Interview

It was a low-key interview process conducted in the breakroom. The manager was friendly and seemed a little zany. Part of the interview included coworkers making comments and getting involved in the process themselves.