Uber - Used to be great. Things have changed for the worse. | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Used to be great. Things have changed for the worse."

I worked at Uber as a contractor

Pros

Work on your time by choice.
Meet new people, visit new places

Cons

Oh where to start. Uber used to be a lucrative side or main gig. Now, its only good if you're 100% full time or only work holidays for side money. If this were 2+ years ago, my view would be completely different.

- Oversaturation: This is the end goal of uber. Everyone is a driver. The downside to this is, there are too many cooks in the kitchen at once.
- Lack of freedom or choice. Uber wants you to be obediant as possible. They don't want you cancelling or denying rides for ANY reason. So they get you to a pick up location with no information to where you're heading. could be 5 miles, could be 100 miles. You wont know until you show up and SURPRISE!! You're asked to go somewhere you're not familiar with thats completely out of the way, and/or not in the area you prefer to drive. The trick uber uses, is that you've already invested the time waiting for a ride, by the time you get there (compensation-less) you'll either have to wait again, or take a ride you dont really want to take.
- Lack of transparency (also connected to what I was saying above) You need special insurance possibly, but no where is that really communicated
- You DONT control where you work.
- You need to maintain 5 star ratings, which may require you to go above and beyond the job. To the point where you are docked for not going out of your way to appease the customer. You can be docked for not providing aux cord, water, or getting stuck in traffic. The customer was late for work, thats 1 star for you, who cares the customer was going to be late anyway.
- You're required to have a practically new car
- Rates are always cut, you now have to work harder/longer to make the same money you made last week.
- Riders have become more 'privileged' and it shows in their attitude. They used to be thankful for getting a ride. Now, don't be surprised if the person you pick up is an jerk.
- No job security. 1 person complains about you, you can be kicked off the app like that without even understanding why, regardless if you're in the right. You're completely expendable.

Ultimately, the promise at uber is a half truth. It was a great job, not its a pain. Some people love it, but its not for everyone, and its only getting worse.

I would only recommend uber if
a- you absolutely NEED a job
b- prefer not working 9-5
c- have tons of free time
d- just need some extra cash

Advice to Management

Change the culture of uber, respect your EMPLOYEES more.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Uber is the Devil"

I worked at Uber as a contractor

Pros

Flexible Schedule. You can drive any time.

Cons

You get to drive you business into the ground....literally. Your car only lasts so long, depreciates, etc. What you make does not cover the value of your car, gas, upkeep, and taxes. ~20% of your customers are crazy depending on where you live.
    Management deactivated my account after a customer complaint and then reactivated my account after an investigation. Then I gave one ride, they deactivated my account, and said they changed their mind. All within one hour.

Advice to Management

Don't be buttheads.

2. "Decent"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Uber (More than a year)

Pros

work when you want to

Cons

hard to contact the company

Advice to Management

open more lines of communication

Discover more reviews about Uber.