Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,140 Interview Reviews

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.

I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.

HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.

I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.

Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.

I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I had applied from LinkedIn. I got first technical screen / code pair interview which was around 1 hour. The pattern was as follows:
    Introductions (10 min)
    Coding Exercises (30-40 min)
    Relevant Experience and Questions (10-15 min)

The had solved the question but unfortunately they decided not to move forward.

Interview Questions

• If user input a name in input, You have to highlight the chemical element if it consist in his name.
      eg. If input name is "Casper" Then highlight "Ca".   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

After a phone screen on behavioral/fit - was scheduled full loop of 5 1-hr interviews. Mostly system design and behavioral ones were asked. Mostly behavioral, past experience, design, fit related questions.
    The answers do not matter much - your deep experience with those technologies do.

Interview Questions

• Example topics: Memcached, Kafka, Blocking queue. With remote interviewers, design can be tough since no whiteboard used normally.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Brief chat with recruiter then a phone screen with a member of the data science team.

The call with the team member started with a brief description of the position, as well as my background. After that we went into technical questions and I have to say, I don't think the interviewer had very much experience in the work world, especially not conducting technical interviews. Here's that part of the conversation went:

Uber: That's the right answer, but I'm looking for one other point.
    Me: Could you provide some feedback or guidance so as to direct me towards what you're looking for?
    Uber: I'd like to hear how you'd work through the problem.
    Me: I just walked through my thought process, described why that was my thought process, and how I came to the answer. I don't know what else you're looking for, can you help me understand what I'm missing?
    Uber: Ok, let's move on.

This happened multiple times. By the end of the call I was honestly really annoyed.

Is this how the data science team works at Uber? No guidance or feedback???

Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Th entire application process was quick and easy; l can appreciate the professional staff. Staff explained th necessary paperwork required to be submitted and permitted time for me to compiled everything to turn in.

Interview Questions

• Basically, the hiring staff wanted to verify the how each applicant reacts to the general public.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

First a phone call, takes about 1 hour. question about my background and an Uber related problem. Then a take home exam with optimization problems. then on sight with 6 interviews each 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you evaluate the estimated time to arrival algorithm in Uber? Questions regarding matching algorithms (how to best match a request to a driver). Hypothesis testing. Probability. Coding questions.   Answer Question

Backend Engineer Interview

Interview

Standard technical phone screen, but its execution could have been better in a few ways:
    1. The interviewer had an accent, which on its own would have been fine, but he was using speakerphone in a conference room so it was difficult to hear him. Anyone who has done enough phone interviews knows what I'm talking about: there's a reverberation effect that really blurs the audio.
    2. The interviewer gave a question that was fairly visual because it involves doing things on a map (think a cartographic map of land/sea, not a computer science map), which doesn't lend itself well to conveying ideas over a phone. The question would have been more suitable for an in-person interview with a whiteboard so you can point and draw.

Interview Questions

• A graph algorithm problem that can be solved with BFS/DFS   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Recruiter reached out about the position, conducted a phone screen, technical interview, a behavioral interview with someone who did not know how to conduct an interview. Had a panel and case after that. Did not walk away feeling very impressed with what the company was trying to sell the opportunity as.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would go about deciding which metro city you would expand to next?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2018.

Interview

talked to a friend I know who works there now, and he passed along my resume and I got invited for an onsite. The onsite interview was a few hours, started with a ride in a self driving uber and then I talked to three different people. The first person asked behavioral questions, the second person talked more about specifically what my role would be, and the third asked a lot of technical questions. They got back to me within a week of interviewing me and were very responsive throughout the process!

Interview Questions

• usual behavioral stuff, what do you bring to the company, why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question
    • basic SQL stuff, how i would represent a database, how i would present my data findings to a group   Answer Question
    • list manipulation, how would you sort it, find unique elements, compare elements between two lists, hash tables   Answer Question
    • linux commands -- grep, piping, file reading and writing, comparing data between files   1 Answer
    • regex -- specific whiteboard questions, using it with grep   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at my university career fair, who referred my resume to their hiring team. Within a week I received an email detailing the interview process (two technical interviews then an offer) and set up a time for a phone interview. After the interview, I received an email the next day about the results.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are an Uber driver who begins in the middle spot of an n by n matrix. Write a code that allows you to pick up the most riders in your immediate vicinity (e.g. spots directly adjacent to your location) until all surrounding spots are 0. You can only move up, right, left or down.

Example: