Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2018
2,281 Interview Reviews

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.

I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.

HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.

I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.

Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.

I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me through linkedin. I responded and had the initial phone conversation with the recuiter. This has to be one of the worst initial phone conversations I ever had in bay area. The recruiter was not only late but she seemed very disinterested (remember, it was her that contacted me) and generally lacked decent communication skills. I guess nepotism is the the only reason such a lousy recruiter got hired at Uber. I don't see a good future for Uber.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Fortunately, the interview process wasn't as brutal as other people have mentioned. With that being said, it was fairly rigorous and tough to do while holding a full time job. Unlike other reviews I only had 4 steps to my process:
    1. Recruiter Call
    2. Analytics Test
    3. 1:1 with team member
    4. In person--case study vs. the presentation I saw in other reviews.

A couple of general notes:
    - Know why Uber and what is attractive
    - The analytics test is pretty easy if you're average with excel. As others have said understand pivot tables, metrics, and basic IF statements in case you have to make a dumby column for the pivots. My strategy was simple.. Keep tabs for each question and move on if you can't get it quickly. I finished with 20 + minutes to check work.
    -The 1:1 was easy, just know your why and be able to go into depth on a project you've worked on
    -I was expecting a presentation, but got a case study on site instead. The case was not hard, but I did not do that well--in my opinion. I under studied their metrics in favor of coming up with ideas or issues to solve. Fortunately, I think I got the job because I could speak to Uber's business model, issues, and projects/ outcomes. The case was not hard it was just very ambiguous.

Interview Questions

• What is the first thing you would do in month 1?   1 Answer

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

A recruiter had reached out and I told them I was not interested in Uber, and never would be. This recruiter then relentlessly called and emailed me as they were shocked I had no interest whatsoever to join this company. This went on for weeks.

It got to the point where the recruiting manager called me. Company personnel, at ALL levels, clearly have no understanding of "no means no."

I gave it a shot. I went to the onsite interview, where I found unprofessional behavior abound ("oh you seem to be an introvert" me: "can you clarify how you assessed my character traits with just 5 minutes of speaking to me?" "haha well you just seem mousy! your look...your glasses!"

Are you serious, Uber? What kind of junior recruiters are you hiring? To top it off, I had the dumbest interview questions asked. "Name some programming languages." You're interviewing a senior recruiter with management experience, shouldn't you ask more challenging questions? Who in tech recruiting can't name programming languages?

The final interview was with a woman who kept twirling her hair while I was giving my presentation. It got so distracting that about 2/3's into the presentation, I ended it abruptly and thanked her for her time as I got ready to leave. She seemed to perk up and took offense. If you disrespect my time, you do not deserve respect in return.

The most unintelligible recruiting team I ever made the mistake to interview with - I can see why the candidate experience is so terrible, as reflected in these reviews. They're taught that people will do anything to work for this brand, and that's how they treat candidates.

Payments Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter reached out same day. Spoke with recruiter who passed me on to hiring manager. After that, was asked to complete a case study presentation and analytics assessment. Invited to interview on-site in SF with 5 team members. Had a follow up call with hiring manager and received offer. The entire process took about 6 weeks from call to offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I had a horrible experience with Uber interview. I sent my resume directly to the hiring manager, later on the recruiter contacted me through email.

However, their recruiter is the worst I have ever seen! We set up a recruiter call and she never called. And I rescheduled, no call again, rescheduled, no call again... I have never experienced this anywhere.

I reported this problem with the hiring manager, and eventually I got the phone call from recruiter. She promised she would set up tech phone screen, but, as before, I never received any further confirmation any more.

Right now I have already had job offers from else where, I just want to write this review to help other people interviewing with Uber. I think the company is a good company, but they should really investigate into their recruiting team.

BTW I have other friends working with this specific recruiter, same thing happened to them as well.

Law Enforcement Response Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Overall I had a bad experience. Received e-mail from recruiter selecting me for a brief chat about the role. I was told I had a strong background for what the position entails despite not having managed as many people as it would be required (I did share this concern, but recruiter said their hiring style would look beyond just that). Phone call with would be manager was rescheduled once due to their lack of internal communication. The manager criticized my lack of experience within the Law Enforcement Field (I have a legal background) as well as lack of experience having managed a large team. I felt that the manager's decision of not moving my application forward had been made prior to calling me and this was all a waste of time. Still, Uber sounds like a great place to work, but with anything in life, not only does it need to be a good fit but also, work group environment needs to be positive. This was not the feeling I got from going through this process.

Senior IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA) in April 2018.

Interview

- Recruiter call
    - 1 hour easy phone interview
    - Onsite:
     1- Create an app that loads images from Flikcr an displays them on a collection with a searchbar. Every thing should work and the architecture should be good. 1.5 (I couldn't finish the project on time because it would take 2.5 hours minimum to finish it)
    2- 1 hour discuss the code you wrote with some vague and unclear questions
    3- easy coding question on hackerrank. The code must build and pass test cases
    4- Lunch and behavioral interview. The interviewer eats and asks you questions (yes, you cant eat because he is talking, you just have to watch him eat )
    5-bar raiser. A terribly hard question that they struggled with for days and now they want you to implement it within 1 hour
    6- Another System design with a junior engineer (I will keep the rest for you to guess).

Overall if you are interviewing with Uber for the money then it definitely does not worth it (don't do my mistake). But if you are interviewing because you are passionate about Uber (I don't think any one is) then give it a try and you might make it.

Interview Questions

• - You have a list of function names and timestamps, print the time spend on a function when exiting the function. e.g
      - main, 0 entering
      - foo, 10, entering
      - foo 15, exiting
      - main 25, exiting   1 Answer

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber in April 2018.

Interview

Asked SQL query questions, (such as explain where clause and having clause),as well as case study questions, mostly technical oriented, it was very intensive but helpful. The interviewer will teach and remind you step by step to answer most of the coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a sql query about two tables (inner join, select from, where clause, case when)   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY).

Interview

It was ok until I was told I would not receive the job for something that was not defined in the job requirement. I was asked to complete an assignment to solve for a real issue they faced but was turn down for the offer for something not as a requirement. I was given a free ride to interview and back. And people were nice but not a good expereince to feel cheated and used.

Interview Questions

• Create a communication strategy with a time line for our business.   1 Answer