Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,345 Interview Reviews

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.

I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.

HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.

I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.

Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.

I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Central Operations Manager Interview

Interview

Four-stage process: Recruiter Screening, Online Analytics Test, Phone Interview with the Hiring Manager and Onsite interviews with the team.

After all the rounds, they said the requirements have completely changed and the role does not exist anymore.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone screening with the hiring manager, in-person interview with 4 data scientists and a manager at the Uber HQ in San Fransisco. No interview by HR. Everyone very friendly and nice.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I interviewed for a Recruiter position at Uber. I got to a 4th round interview and I was told by HR that I was loved by other members of the interviewers and I was the only one who got this far for the position. 3 days later they told me they went with someone else. Why would the HR person make it seem like I had it in the bag when that was clearly not the case? disappointed with this company is an understatement. Do better Uber. Do. Better.

Interview Questions

• What is something you believe that others thin is crazy   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA) in June 2018.

Interview

The recruiter kept scheduling calls and would not call at that time eventually. This has happened 3 times, where I blocked time on my calendar for the recruiter call and the recruiter didn't bother or call or email.

UberEats Account Representative - Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied for this job because this is a role I can definitely see myself succeeding in. Got an email to pick a time slot for a phone screening and after I picked a day/time I got another email asking me to reschedule. On the actual day of my phone screening, I got a phone call asking me to reschedule again for a week later (Thursday). The Monday before my Thursday screening I got an email addressed to a different person to ask to reschedule from Monday to Tuesday (not meant for me). Thursday comes along and I never get a call. I tried calling and the recruiter couldn’t hear me apparently. I emailed that night asking if the next day would work (Friday). He said yes and was also sorry for all the confusion. Friday comes around and again no call. Very disappointing coming from a company that is booming so much. Again, definitely a role I saw myself exceeding in but not sure why I was promised so many screenings and no one followed through.

Inside Sales Representative - Restaurants - UBER EATS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

A call was set up but there was no interview. Recruiter noticed I did not have a Bachelors degree. She apologized, but said that she could not continue further unless I had one.
    I have a culinary degree and 6 years of restaurant sales experience. Personally, felt over-qualified for this job. It was demeaning and biased, to not even go on with the interview to see who I am and how I could fit. It's discrimination.

Interview Questions

• No interview questions - I was apparently not fit for this job because I made the conscious decision not to put myself into $500k worth of debt by age of 22. Because I have a passion for restaurants and food and chose to go to Culinary School instead of wasting my time on a non-sequitur subject for 4 years.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure Automation, UMetal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview process is typical. A phone call with the recruiter (or hiring manager if you get a referral. You are then lined up with a phone screen with some basic algorithm questions and finish on a coding exercise. This is my second interview with Uber, both being 4 years apart. Similar outcome for both, I decided not to continue forward.

This interviewer for the phone screen was the worst interviewer I've had in my career which is why I'm writing my first Glassdoor review. I have been the hiring manager at my last 3 gigs (8 years) and would be appalled if one my teammates acted this way. This says something about Uber's interviewing practices and how they drive away good engineers by wasting their time.

The conversation started off terrible as the interviewer hit speaker phone as I answered so he did not hear me say Hi. Before I could attempt to say Hi again he was already saying "hello?! Hello?!" I tried to reply saying "Hello, this is ...", but he continued to interrupt saying he couldn't hear me and before I could ask if he could take me off speaker phone he asked if I had another number I could be reached at (assuming the problem was my line). This time I paused to reply because of the whole speaker phone lag and before I could attempt to be taken off speaker phone again he asked "Hello?" This was how the conversation went throughout the whole call until I finally said, "Thank you for your time, I've decided not to move forward with Uber" and hung up.

The final straw was when I was working on the solution to the problem I asked him to let me think for a moment about the solution and he continued to talk. This guy just would not shut up! I started to work on the problem by thinking out loud hoping he would take the hint to be quiet and this made things worse. With constant interruption on why I was doing something some way, and how it could be wrong, did I think about the other possibilities, etc, I called it.

DO NOT RECOMMEND, STAY AWAY.

Interview Questions

• Given a set of points find the set closest to (0,0)   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uber (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2018.

Interview

Interview process was long and tough questions were being conducted. I have to go through 5 network engineers and each took 1 hour to conduct the interview. Behavioral and managerial questions were also conducted as well.

Interview Questions

• Explaining the theory behind ARP?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Very rigorous and professional, I felt like my time was valued throughout the entire process. I wish I would have had to wait less in hearing back about the job.

Interview Questions

• What types of experience do you have with front-end development?   Answer Question