Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee

I'll starve to death before going back to work for another VCA / VICAR Company!

Mar 11, 2010 - Veterinary Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good discounts for employees on food and services. Ability to advance within the company, if you are willing to re-locate.

Cons

Oh where to start.... If you are thinking of joining a VCA clinic I advise you to try to find another clinic quickly. Even the best Vet Techs are treated like dirt. They put more and more work for you to do and cut the amount of time you have to complete the work. The 'upper' management only cares about money, they cut drug orders back so far that we'd run out of medications and supplies that are considered 'staples' of Veterinary Medicine on a weekly basis. There is also a salary freeze for 'all' employees that some have said can last years, which is fine if you make a veterinarians salary but we know that is not the case. So most Techs can not live by themselves, or support their families. The benefits are a expensive joke. I worked 40 hours per week and could not afford a family plan, would have got a bill instead of a paycheck. For an individual plan it was $158.00 a month, and they have Blue Cross Anthem. If you need to know how bad Anthem is, please call ANY doctor and they will explain that Anthem pays for basically nothing. So you better stay in top shape so the medical bills don't make you bankrupt. Even just a check up with bloodwork will cost YOU $80.00 BEFORE the co pay of $20.00. The 'training' for new employees is none, you are thrown into the pool and everyone hopes you swim. The CEs they offer are few for techs and the ones that are mandatory teach you absolutely nothing. The clinic managers are threatened daily, and the upper management love to put closing the clinic, cutting hours or employees over you head like a sword. They also tell you to try and talk expensive testing and unnecessary vaccines onto clients that make you feel like a used car salesmen. So clients become wary and then will not perform necessary testing when it is truly called for. I could go on forever, but I think these were the most important to know. Stress Stress Stress.

Continue reading
    15 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing place to work

Jul 25, 2021 - Senior Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are so nice. Everyone is approachable and respectful and ready to help however possible.

Cons

There is a lot of red tape to align within MVH and all their banners.

Be the first to find this review helpful

VCA Response

We love hearing about how great and hardworking your team is! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful feedback, and keep up the great work!

2. 2.0
    Current Employee

I wouldn’t work for them again

Jul 26, 2021 - Veterinarian in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits package overall. No one in management has been difficult or rude.

Cons

From a veterinarian whose clinic was purchased: Corporate BS. No concern for work/life balance. Company will PROMISE not to change the culture of the clinic, raise prices, or that anything will be noticeable to the clients after transition. These are bald faced lies. Every single thing changes- starting with an insane amount of “required” online “training” that you’re expected to complete in your free time. The prices are 10-20% higher the second you switch to their software. The software (WoofWare) is awful- it takes me 3x as long to complete medical notes or look anything up. It’s glitchy and constantly crashes. Then of course, all the clients notice the change and you’re forced to either grin and cover for corporate’s butt or tell them they’re better off somewhere else. During COVID and the crazy veterinary surge, we weren’t able to regulate our own schedules leading to massive staff burnout and turnover. Corporate has NO IDEA what the front lines are like and it’s clear that they view their employees as expendable.

1 person found this review helpful

VCA Response

We're very sorry that you're not happy with the culture and current operations of your hospital. We know the last year and a half has been very difficult and we know you're working very hard to care for your clients and patients. Your concerns are important to us, and we'd be happy to speak with you about anything. You are always welcome to reach out to us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. We are here to listen.

Discover more reviews about VCA.