VCA Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Veterinary Technician"

Former Employee - Certified Veterinary Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Veterinary Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at VCA part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High paced small animal practice

Cons

Busy paced and sometimes get behind and patients have long wait to be seen

Advice to Management

Hire more people

Jul 18, 2018 – Content Strategist

Thanks for the review. While the pace of what we do can be challenging, our team
    certainly does a spectacular job of managing their time while continuing to provide unrivaled care for patients. We... More

2. "Great place to work"

Pros

Work with professionals who focus on employee moral and always looking for ways to improve, both for the clients/patients they serve and their employees. Great company.

Cons

Required online trainings can be tiresome and mundane.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great people/Not so great work environment"

I have been working at VCA full-time

Pros

Steady work schedule + good benifits

Cons

Poor leadership roles + unorganized management

Sep 12, 2018 – Content Strategist

Thank you for your review! We’re glad you’re enjoying the benefits and work
    environment here at VCA Animal Hospitals. Have a great day.

4. "Animal care"

I have been working at VCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with the animals when needed if the hospital is understaffed or extremely business

Cons

Not flexible in schedule. Growth extremely limited.

Advice to Management

Learn to be flexible as at this level employees are trying to grow

5. "ok place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at VCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back. Fast pace.

Cons

No team work. Lots of backstabbing.

6. "Great place to work! Co-workers are like family!"

I worked at VCA part-time

Pros

Everyone shares genuine care for every animal that comes through the doors!
    When the day gets busy, or the unexpected happens, everyone pulls together as a team to provide the very best care to the patient and support to the family.

Cons

As a small business, sometimes you can be short handed. But when this happens, the team steps up to make it work and the care is never compromised.

Sep 12, 2018 – Content Strategist

Thank you for your review! We pride ourselves on our family culture and are delighted you felt the same during your tenure at VCA Animal Hospitals. Have a great day.

7. "Veterinarian"

I have been working at VCA full-time

Pros

The focus is on patient care in a very friendly and easy going environment. If you have any concerns the managers are always willing to listen and help out. You get to practice good quality medicine that is individualized for each patient not cookie cutter medicine with someone telling you how to care for your patients.

Cons

The veterinary field in general does not pay as high as the human medicine field

Sep 12, 2018 – Content Strategist

enjoying the work environment and flexibility to practice medicine at VCA Animal Hospitals! Have a great day.

"Some good, a lot bad"

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician, RVT in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician, RVT in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the doctors are excellent/ amazing and great to work with. They were always willing to discuss cases and answer questions.

Cons

Techs are underappreciated and under utilized. There is a yearly changing of the intern doctors that causes lots of stress, and the training/teaching moments are mostly directed to them and the techs fall by the wayside. No effort is made to elevate them or to improve working conditions for them. Turnover is ridiculously high and techs are stretched to continuously train new assistants that frequently have little experience. Management has demonstrated over and over that technicians are not a high priority . There is definitely a clique mentality and rewards are given to those who tow the party line, not for merit.
     Christmas bonuses don't exist, and the 'gold star' bonus system relies on favoritism. If you want to learn knew things as an RVT, be prepared to hit a ceiling on what opportunities exist. And also learn to like having way too many tech supervisors and arbitrary rules that do not make for a good work environment, such as being required to take lunch as early as 10am if you start at 7am. I don't know how many times I had to stay late to get all my work done and , instead of being thanked for my dedication, I was reminded that overtime was frowned upon. Um, you're welcome?

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff! Just saying "I appreciate you" doesn't make it so. Cultivate your RVTs, encourage them to take on new skills and support them in that. Save some of the attention you lavish on the interns and spread it around the tech population. Notice the hard work and reward it. Be mindful of how the changes affect them as workers and as people. The techs are not just worker-bees, they are valuable contributing members of the hospital community and have alot to offer if you would nurture them. Shame on you for your indifferent attitudes! If things have improved since I left, I apologize, but they only deteriorated during my time there, so it's unlikely.

"50/50"

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great facade of culture and family but in the end, it's a corporation. Really good employee discounts and if you're close with upper management you'll get away with murder.

Cons

It's a corporation and the only time you see or hear from upper management is if you're not making them enough money. Proper training is a joke and then they don't understand why you don't know how to do something. Doctor's are untouchable, so if you're a doctor you can literally do no wrong. Management and supervisors, better be ready to sell sell sell and suck up hard to your bosses. Staff, you're fine as long as you're friends with management.
    Work life balance does not exist.
    Constant staff turnover.
    Pay is subpar.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about the people making you money and less about the money.

Sep 17, 2018 – Content Strategist

We are terribly sorry to hear that your employment experience was not a good one. We hope you met some amazing people and wonderful pets during your five years. We wish you great contentment in your... More

10. "Great Practice, Very Thorough"

Current Employee - Exam Room Assistant, Technician Assistant in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Exam Room Assistant, Technician Assistant in Louisville, CO

I have been working at VCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I appreciate that we give all the options to our clients upfront. We present care plans to outline fully the medicine available for their pet, and the client is completely in charge. Schedules are really flexible if needed.

Cons

Even though this is a general practice, I would have liked very rigid protocol concerning emergency walk-in situations.

Sep 12, 2018 – Content Strategist

Hello and thank you so much for your review! We’re thrilled to hear that you are enjoying the work environment and flexibility at VCA Animal Hospitals! Have a great day.