KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated May 11, 2021

3.3
VCA President Todd Lavender, DVM
Todd Lavender, DVM
Pros
  • "Pet benefits are great - up to 4 pets included(in 85 reviews)

• "Schedule flexibility, Co-workers, doctors genuinely care for their clients(in 75 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay for support staff therefore high turnover(in 49 reviews)

• "Upper management only cares about money(in 39 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of VCA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee
      Featured Review

Great company to work for

Feb 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Has great people to work with.

Cons

Has become big that you do not know everyone anymore.

DIRECTOR OF DIGITAL

We are thrilled to know that you enjoy working with us! We're committed to maintaining an environment in which our team members can thrive, and we appreciate your kind comments.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fair starting job

Apr 16, 2021 - Kennel Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good decent work, Fun time with animals

Cons

Low pay, overload of work per worker

VCA Response

We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with VCA. Thank you for your efforts and hard work. We wish you nothing but the best!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company, Great Support

May 7, 2021 - Licensed Veterinary Technician in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love having the support to do my job. The individuality of each hospital allows me to pick where is the best place to work. But, I know that all the support between my hospital leaders and the field leaders and the corporate office allows me to have the best benefits and resources.

Cons

I wish I had started my career with VCA sooner.

VCA Response

We're so grateful to have you on our team. Your commitment and efforts are incredibly valued, and we can't thank you enough for all you do for your hospital. We look forward to watching you grow in your career!

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Stagnant, Toxic

May 6, 2021 - Veterinary Technician in Newark, DE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quality of medicine is high

Cons

Pay, benefits, work life balance

VCA Animal Hospitals

Knowing that you feel this way is disheartening, as we are committed to showing our appreciation for our team members. We would value the opportunity to learn more about your experience and address your feedback further, so when you can, please email us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great benefits, mediocre medicine, poor culture

May 8, 2021 - Veterinary Technician in Metairie, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great health benefits, PTO accrues at a reasonable rate and awesome pet care discounts

Cons

VCA shows very little appreciation for or desire to support their already licensed veterinary technicians (at least in general practice). They tried to hire me with 13 years of experience and licensed at an insulting rate and refuse to pay me the hourly wage I would get paid elsewhere. They’re more interested in hiring someone with zero experience for cheap and “training them” from the ground up. Corporate makes it impossible for management to separate employees not performing their job to standard which takes a huge toll on the rest of the team and is detrimental to the care of patients.

VCA Response

We're grateful to have you on our team, and are sorry that you do not feel appreciated in your role at VCA. We can assure you that your efforts are seen and valued. Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, you are welcome to contact us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Low Pay not great benefits, great working with animals

Apr 28, 2021 - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Somewhat Flexible hours for part time, 50% off employee discount, get to work with animals

Cons

Low pay, very very small raises employee discount while looks good on paper they don’t let you make appts for your pets. They require you to leave them all day in a cage until a Dr can look at them between patients. So I take my pets to a non VCA Hosp.

VCA Animal Hospitals

We truly value the contributions of our team members, and we want you to know that we hear your concerns. Please give us an opportunity to connect with you and discuss them further, by contacting us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you for everything you do for VCA.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

We may be stuck with corporations, but management can still make or break a hospital

May 10, 2021 - Veterinary Assistant in Spokane, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Health insurance (decent options and coverage available)

Cons

Management not willing to change and bureaucracy has provided them a perfect scape goat to blame for their inaction.

VCA Animal Hospitals

We appreciate you reaching out with your concerns, and we want you to know that we are here to listen. Please contact us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com if you would be open to discussing this further, as your feedback is valuable. Thank you.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Ok if you have pets with medical needs

May 11, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

75% discount on medical expenses for 2 of your pets, 50% boarding, and free vaccines

Cons

management does not listen to your requests for time off or schedule changes. it is also a very stressful environment in regards to euthanasias and upset customers

VCA Animal Hospitals

We're committed to maintaining an environment in which each team member has the support they need, so we'd like to connect with you and learn more about your concerns. When you're able, please contact us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you for your feedback and your contributions to our team.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Decent company, but it could be so much more.

May 6, 2021 - Certified Veterinary Technician in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

corporate structure, adequate pay, consistent schedule, accountability, decent software

Cons

broken equipment, schedules overbooked, poor budget decisions, not progressive, inconsistent quality of care

VCA Response

Thank you for taking a moment to share all your feedback with us. You are a vital part of the functionality of your hospital and we appreciate everything you do. Please know that if you have any concerns you would like to discuss, we are available at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. You are important and we are here to listen.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Not recommended

Apr 28, 2021 - Veterinary Technician, Cvt in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pet policy, decent health insurance

Cons

We were a Pet Partners hospital that got transitioned to a VCA clinic. This was what I would of called a unicorn clinic. While we were small, we were a amazing staff. Worked together well and had very little conflict. We had no practice manager. Those duties fell on the doctor and also was spread among the support staff. As a pet partners hospital this was doable. As a VCA hospital it was not. We continuously kept getting more added to each position. We tried to keep up, but policies and protocols that worked well for large hospitals did not work well with a small clinic such as ours and we quickly became over whelmed, along with our other everyday task and dealing with a pandemic. Our doctor was arriving well before open and staying well past closing trying to keep up. Along with other issues it all became too much and she decided to resign. Upon her informing us of her resignation it was a week before we were reached out to by anyone at the corporate office. And we were not reached out to directly. It was a email sent to our doctor to ask us if we had any questions. After that reach out we were never contacted again unless we contacted them first. We were given no instructions, nothing informing us of what our future held, nothing telling us what we needed to tell the clients. One by one each of us turned in our resignations because none of us could stay not knowing if we had guaranteed hours or not. Our resignations were responded to all with the same two generic words. Best wishes. We were made to feel insignificant. VCA makes a big deal about making sure their employees feel valued but we sure didn’t seeing that no one directly reached out to any of the 5 of us. No one cared enough to let us know if we would even have jobs after a certain date. No one at VCA seemed to care the our lives were being affected too. This was not the fault of our doctor, this is failure on VCA’s part to see that their doctors and their support staff cannot be treated as disposable. When a clinic goes from 0% turnover in 5 years to 100% in a matter of weeks you would think they would have some concern.

2 people found this review helpful

VCA Animal Hospitals

We're troubled by what you describe here, as we're committed to ensuring each member of our team has the resources to succeed. Having an opportunity to discuss your employment experience would be deeply appreciated, and we ask that you please reach out to EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,034 Reviews