KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.3
VCA President Todd Lavender, DVM
Todd Lavender, DVM

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits were good and given after 30days(in 127 reviews)
  • "The coworkers are great and there are pet discounts for medical care(in 57 reviews)
  • "At the hospital level there are great people and the veterinary field can be very rewarding.(in 54 reviews)
  • "Staff is great and friendly.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Good work environment.(in 18 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management and too much drama(in 164 reviews)
  • "The pay is low and they make it hard to get a raise unless you tell them you're quitting.(in 160 reviews)
  • "Some managers have difficult managig styles.(in 45 reviews)
  • "Long hours and made to feel like you're not a team player if you don't work overtime/pick up shifts in other departments.(in 32 reviews)
  • "NO TRAINING: coworkers don't help you out and seem to get some sick satisfaction from watching you fail(in 30 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of VCA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year
    Featured Review

Great company depending on management

Oct 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits, company has very good morals and takes care of employees and clients. Paid holidays. The software VCA uses is very easy to learn.

Cons

Each manager is different, some require you to keep normal hair colors and hide tattoos, some don't. Work life balance can be difficult but that's how it is with most animal hospitals.

1 person found this review helpful

VCA Response

It's important to us that our team feels supported and taken care of. We're pleased to know that this is the case for you. Thanks for your kind feedback and great efforts!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Jul 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for very supportive leadership from all levels.

Cons

It requires effective boundaries to ensure you have a good work life balance. Leadership is supportive as long as you are able to set your work life boundaries.

VCA Response

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We are thrilled to know that you enjoy your role at VCA, as we are proud to work with you!

3. 4.0

Experience Varies by Hospital

Sep 28, 2022 - Veterinary Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great employee pet care discount Tuition assistance Multiple locations and very easy to transfer between locations

Cons

Individually managed and not required to follow set standards No set pay standards Minimal opportunities to advance in positions

VCA Response

Thank you for providing us with your feedback, as it's important to us that our associates have opportunities to grow in their careers. Please know that we can be reached at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com, and we are here to listen.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Sep 27, 2022 - Vet Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is fantastic and works so well with employees

Cons

Nothing. I love this company

VCA Animal Hospital

We're so happy you had such a positive experience with your coworkers and management! Thank you for your time with us and we wish you the best in all your future endeavors.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Career Growth for LVTs!

Sep 26, 2022 - Client Services Manager in Ithaca, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

tons of resources, great benefits, AMAZING EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT, lots of growth opportunities for experienced LVTs looking for the next stage in their careers

Cons

hard to find resources and contacts, corporate support speed is slow compared to the speed of work in the practice, vet med is hard on mental/moral health

Continue reading

VCA Animal Hospital

We appreciate your feedback and all of your hard work on your team. We pride ourselves on having great employees like yourself. Keep up the great work!

6. 5.0

Vca

Sep 23, 2022 - Specialty Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hard working, team oriented, fast paced, positive attitude, loyalty from management. Never worked for a company that put their employees first!!!

Cons

Stressful environment, no gratitude (clients), complete opposite actually. Tough environment to work in, need to have thick skin.

VCA Response

Our team members are integral to our success, and your hard work is tremendously appreciated. Thank you very much for the insight you have shared with us.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of benefits!

Sep 22, 2022 - Kennel Attendant
    Business Outlook

Pros

VCA is a place with lots of benefits and a great costumer base.

Cons

Pay is not the best.

VCA Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for everything you do for your clients and patients. We appreciate your contributions to our team!

8. 5.0

I loved it.

Sep 19, 2022 - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

there's so much to learn. fast paced so it goes by fast. decent pay and company cares about employees

Cons

I think it is easy to let things get "cliquey", I feel like CSR's get treated as bottom of the barrel and stupid, when in reality CSR's are the support that help the clinic run smoothly.

Continue reading

VCA Animal Hospital

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are so happy to hear you enjoy working and learning with us. Keep up the great work!

9. 5.0

Na

Sep 12, 2022 - Physician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Na. Good work environment and people

Cons

None that I can think of.

VCA Animal Hospital

We're so glad you enjoy your work and coworkers! We value each staff member's feedback and we appreciate you. Keep up the hard work!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for

Sep 12, 2022 - Hospital Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for growth and development

Cons

salary for employees can be assessed for improvement

VCA Animal Hospital

We're proud to have you on our team! We're glad you appreciate all the career opportunities and development that VCA offers. Keep up the great work!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,576 Reviews
</>Embed

VCA Reviews FAQs

VCA has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 1,619 reviews left anonymously by employees. 52% of employees would recommend working at VCA to a friend and 46% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, VCA employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at VCA. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

52% of VCA employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated VCA 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at VCA to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with VCA Job Seekers