Event Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Event Network President Larry Gilbert
Larry Gilbert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In order to move up beyond store director (outside of purchasing), you must relocate to Park City, UT (in 8 reviews)

• Many of our part time year round staff lost hours over summer where they use to get near full time seasonally, because of this new rule (in 6 reviews)

1. "Supportive Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Director

I have been working at Event Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities if you can move around. Head office and CEO that cares about people. Support of non profit institutions.

Cons

Not for everyone! Team members need to be friendly and able to work through busy conditions.

Advice to Management

Involve your whole team and don't leave anyone behind.

"Potentially Great Part-Time Job for Sales Associates, Terrible for Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Event Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The venues are generally awesome places to work and unless you're at a for-profit venue the hours are usually Museum hours (think 9-6 and closed for major holidays).
    -There are some legitimately great people working for the company, if you end up working for one of them you'd be in for a good time.
    -In the stores they do a good job of promoting from within up to the Assistant Store Director level. Don't bother trying to make the jump from Assistant to Store Director though, they'd rather just hire from outside the company.
    -The part-time positions are great for students, retirees, and stay-at-home parents. Most venues are highly seasonal so you'll get lots of hours in the late spring and summer and then it'll slow down a lot in the fall & winter.

Cons

EN went through a massive culture shift a few years ago and truthfully, they did not come out of it positively. It's much more of a Big Box/Corporate culture now with no room for creativity at the store level. Store Directors no longer have any autonomy and are true middle-managers now, all initiatives and regulations come out of the home offices in San Diego and Park City with no room for adjustment and no acknowledgement of differences in regions of the US & Canada (believe it or not, what works in CA & Utah doesn't always work in Texas, Chicago, Toronto, Florida, NEw York, etc.). That's OK when you're working for a company where each store is mostly the same (Target, Kohls, Gap, etc.) but it doesn't translate well to a company like EN where most stores are different from each other (think aquariums, childrens museums, historical venues, and military museums).

Poor leadership at the very top has made the VPs terrified for their jobs which leads to them throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Rules and systems change weekly and Store Directors/Assistant Directors/Buyers/Assistant Buyers are fired at whim and blamed for all problems. It's easier for the generals at the top to change out the soldiers at the bottom than acknowledge that they (Larry, Helen, Lorna et al) don't actually know how to manage a company of this size. On the other side of the coin Jerry & the marketing team are almost too good at their jobs, consistently winning contracts for new locations and making promises that EN just can't deliver on.

Too much is expected of the buying teams, they are basically set up to fail. All stores are divided into only 4 verticals with buyers being responsible for at least one entire vertical (some buyers have to buy for the entire company.). The same buyers will have to do all the buying and planning for completely different business types (think having to buy for history museums while also buying for botanical gardens, or sports museums AND Sears Tower, etc.) So the buying teams are stretched thin and can't deliver the individualized assortments that were promised by Jerry & team when they won the contract.

It used to be a great company to work but but they just got too big haven't been able to adapt appropriately. Unfortunately of them they've lost a lot of great talent and industry respect along the way.

Advice to Management

-Either provide CEO training to Larry & crew or replace with people capable of handling a business that large.
    -Reorg the stores and add at least 2 more verticals, hiring the support staff (Ops & Buyers) needed to support them.
    -Develop a training program for Store Directors & Buyers and actually implement it, don't just keep saying you're working on it. You have lots of talent in the stores and at SSC willing to learn and relocate but you'd rather just hire from the outside.

3. "Great Store Director Terrible Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at Event Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic store Director. Energetic, understanding of scheduling needs, quick problem solver, motivational on the sales floor to increase PWP sales and museum donations. Always working to make things run better and smarter. Always goes to bat for employees with upper management and even if they don't always listen you know he always tried his hardest to get you what you needed.
    I hope both the company and employees appreciate what a hard working and effective Director he is. Best one I've ever had.

Cons

Unfortunately on my store level I dealt mostly with an assistant director who (despite coaching and full support from the store Director) was grossly incompetent, insecure, petty and small minded. Instead of spending time working on his skills used all his energies to pit employees against each other creating a culture of back stabbing and gossip amongst employees that became so out of hand I felt it necessary to leave such a toxic environment.

4. "The experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Event Network part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts,Some nice exhibits and some items

Cons

Lack of hrs and pay also promotion is slow

Advice to Management

Change up more displays and reduce cost on some items

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Event Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great working environment meet different every day

Cons

none really keep up the good work

Advice to Management

keep it up

"Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at Event Network full-time

Pros

Met some cool people. To level does seem to want to be a great company, however, the strive for that does not trickle down.

Cons

The company needs to take a look at some if its supervisory positions and realize the incompetence and complete disrespect that the people in those positions have. They like to switch around people at the bottom but never at the top.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people who can't grow with the company.

7. "Excellent Culture"

I worked at Event Network full-time

Pros

The Talent team ensures that every candidate fits the culture.....and it shows!!!!

Cons

There are no cons to think of

8. "Loved working at Event Network!"

Former Employee - Retail Director
    Former Employee - Retail Director

I worked at Event Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very entrepreneurial and forward thinking. Loved the focus on working for a purpose of supporting a cultural cause.

Cons

Little disconnect between what a store needed to succeed and what it received. That is because of the diversity of stores.

Advice to Management

Listen to the successful managers and let them help you make their stores/missions rock!

9. "Very interesting"

I have been working at Event Network part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet a lot of people from around the world.

Cons

I wish it was a full time position.

10. "Former Employee"

I worked at Event Network part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They work well with your school schedule, it’s a fun job, and you learn a lot about leadership skills in a team work environment.

Cons

Late hours sometimes. They CUT your hours when the season is dead. My issue was my former boss not being okay with me leaving the company. Last weeks of working she didn’t talk to me or worked with me. So unprofessional she told everyone how I’d be leaving and she made it seem like i was the bad person and employee.

Advice to Management

If an employee wants to leave the company to better themselves for their careeer they should be encouraged. And management should not try and keep them. Also just because you offer more money and the same hours isn’t the same thing! No one can make an honest living working part time less than 25hrs a week.