Exelon Generation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Kenneth W. Cornew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are generally awesome, but over time are not as good as they once were" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great pay and benefits, great teamwork" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is infrequent for some work groups" (in 22 reviews)

• "Long hours often with requirements to be on call or respond on nights and weekends when there is a plant issue" (in 10 reviews)

1. "2017 summer intern"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Exelon Generation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great networking experience. People were open to questions, I got to learn a lot from the trainings and my mentor.
    I was assigned to work on a project independently, and presented at the end to executives. Definitely a good learning experience.

Cons

The 10 week program wasn't as flexible as it could be. Having an earlier start date can help some projects' outcome.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in York, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in York, PA

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, great teamwork. People genuinely care about their work and are very professional. Innovative and challenging job opportunities

Cons

The nuclear side is currently downsizing so competition for positions is high. Some non nuclear hires do not like the high amount of regulations you have to deal with in a day to day basis

Advice to Management

My advice would be to learn the many facets of the job. Don’t pigeonhole yourself and do not be afraid to take a risk. Take every opportunity to learn and broaden your circle of knowledge and influence.

3. "Good Company"

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time

Pros

Good company, management, and benefits

Cons

Not the most modern technology, demanding

4. "Operations Supervisor"

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time

Pros

Excellent Pay and competitive benefits. Exelon does a good job keeping employees updated and aggressively looks to increase company diversity. Also, many employee targeted work sponsored activities such as a annual clam-bake.

Cons

Communication is sometimes excessive. Expectations are incredibly high, and overtime is often times mandated and unpaid.
    In several instances, the workers are paid more than their direct supervision. Also, several non-qualified personnel are paid more than their qualified counterparts.

Advice to Management

As the older generation retires and the younger generation beings to grow into the industry, more attention to morale improvements is going to be required.

5. "mobile turbine mechanic"

Current Employee - Mobile Turbine Mechanic in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Mobile Turbine Mechanic in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great pay and benifits to employees

Cons

organizational skills are occasionally poor

6. "Bring home the bacon from work but leave your dreams at home"

Current Employee - Reactor Operator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Reactor Operator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great compensation! However, since the new CEO has taken over they've done nothing but chisel away the benefits for employees. Pensions going away, high fee 401k, worse health care providers. To be fair, this has been going on throughout the US economy and not just at Exelon. Salary continues to be very competitive.

The people I work with are by far the most professional people in this industry. I can not comment on the rest of the company but the people at the power plant I work at I would take with me anywhere and they would be an extraordinary group of talented people and be extremely successful

Cons

This company can safely operate a power plant as good as any other in the world but they can not run an effective business. The bureaucratic corporate oversight is soul sucking and extremely inefficient. This inefficiency is an industry contributor to why these plants are going out of business. Many processes are designed to ensure low risk with a blanket application for the least competent individuals as well as the most talented individuals therefore there is no room for cultural innovation even though in hypocrisy the corporation says they value it.

If you are an outside the box thinker, visionary and believe in individual accomplishment, the culture at Exelon today is not for you.

The corporate overhead of this company is expansive and inefficient. They diffuse blame and incompetence by making decisions with committees instead of using talented individuals as decision makers.

Career opportunities in nuclear are starting to go away with the announcement of closure of many US nuclear plants.

Advice to Management

Value talent more and prioritize it over strict corporate process. INPO is not your board of directors and may not always have the best solution for your business.

7. "Pay and benefits to match a 24hr/365-day business"

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are generally awesome, but over time are not as good as they once were. Many opportunities to change career paths and work locations if that is your desire, especially for highly motivated individuals.

Cons

Management expects a lot of effort and time from their employees; for salaried employees, expect to put in a lot of free hours supporting a 24-hour / 365-day business operation. You may need to cancel vacation plans to support the operating plants. You will need to be on-call with limitations on travel radius and remaining fit for duty. Work-life balance is infrequent for some work groups.

Advice to Management

Too much emphasis has been placed on attracting and keeping younger employees by giving them fast promotions and special recognition events. Some older employees feel they are left out of the party and taken for granted because of the experience they have.

8. "Nuclear Workforce Summary"

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits for the positions offered are beyond competitive.

Cons

Work/life is easily compromised given demands of the job.

9. "Frustrating but worth it"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Clinton, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Clinton, IL

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and lots of opportunities opening up with the baby boomer generation hitting retirement

Cons

Poor turnover. Large gap in knowledge retention of those leaving. Sloppy management

Advice to Management

Have a plan

10. "Equipment Operator"

Pros

Lots of time off, decent benefits

Cons

The bureaucracy of nuclear power can get tiring