Exeter Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Exeter Finance Chief Executive Officer Jason Grubb
Jason Grubb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have appreciated the improvements in work/life balance at this company of which I did not experience else where" (in 12 reviews)

• "Good pay, great experience, fast advancement" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "New upper management has turned that into a joke" (in 10 reviews)

• "Parking can be tight at the call center" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to be and a great time to be here!"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst II in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst II in Irving, TX

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management team, from direct to upper level and executive, they are accessible and there for coaching and guidance. Personally I feel they give us the tools we need to be successful. Employee morale is great. Exeter is fun! Exeter is charitable and gives back to the communities and I like being a part of that.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to speak of but where I feel that management team is awesome on so many levels, I hear from employees in other departments that they aren't happy with their managers and don't feel there are opportunities for growth outside of their current role. I wish all managers and departments modeled after mine.

Advice to Management

Keep being great but make sure your employees have the tools and information necessary to perform and grow.

2. "Outside Sales"

Pros

Working in an Industry I love. I have 24 years Experience in the Automotive Industry. Exeter is a growing company keeping up with the changes within the Industry. Staying ahead with Compliance and Regulatory Overviews and Training. Giving you the education and tools you need. Very Innovative with the changes of Old School Car Sales into the New Era. Giving Dealers a way to Go while building relationships with Dealers Exeter has built a strong team Internally backing outside sales to the fullest Extent. Having a product and program to offer every Dealership while doing what I love. Decent Pay and Benefits. Reporting and Systems in place to use , All user friendly. Every new change enhances my Sales presentation. If your serious and Determined Exeter is a great place to work.

Cons

No complaints I enjoy working here 2 plus years.

Jan 30, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the wonderful comments! We are glad to hear that Exeter is a place where you can grow professionally and personally. Through our engagement initiatives, we will continue listening to... More

"Turning for the worst"

Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation days
    Pay and opportunity for bonus is good

Cons

Getting promoted and technologies always breaking

Advice to Management

Point 1. Exeter used to be top heavy. The CEO before current got rid of top layers. Exeter is beginning to become top heavy again. They all hire their family and friends. You can’t really get a job without knowing somebody here. People at the top hire bottom people to do the work. When you got too many top management and not enough people to do the work, you just get booked meeting rooms with tons of decisions but not enough productivity. Employees either get overworked and quit causing high turn over rates. But don’t think any top management cares.

Point 2, the IT department...does anybody work there? There’s an issue everyday. Dialers not working. Reporting not working. Systems not working. Every time there’s a patch, something stops working and you find out as you work even though they know about the problem. Every time there’s a new hire, it’s 99% from IT department. They take every desks, chairs, every inch of corporate floors. Half of IT are not competent to do their job and only got the job because their friends hired them.

Point 3, I’ve been here for 6 years. I do my next level up work but manager keeps telling me they’re working on my promotion. It has been in talked for two years.

Apr 12, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition Strategies

Thanks for taking the time to comment. We’re happy to say Exeter is doing well as a company and is growing. That creates more opportunity for everyone and is a huge positive for our workforce. The... More

"Ok for experience, but not for the long haul"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company means you can move up quickly and gain experience. Laid back environment for the most part.

Cons

Since people move up quickly there are managers and even directors that have no clue what they are doing. It's frustrating and there's a real disconnect between upper and middle management that's very noticeable.

Mar 7, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition Strategies

Thanks for your feedback. At Exeter, we’re committed to training our employees at all levels. Regarding management specifically, we recently launched our Leadership Excellence program with the goal... More

5. "poor supervisors no experience"

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time

Pros

great pay and yearly increases

Cons

supervisors were not always the best but when recognized issues were corrected

Feb 5, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition Strategies

It’s always great to hear from our employees and read their thoughts and comments. Regarding management, we recently launched our Leadership Excellence program with the goal of increasing the... More

6. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Collections in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Collections in Irving, TX

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and awesome schedules

Cons

No issues at this time

Advice to Management

I enjoy coming to work every day

Jan 30, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback. Through comments and insight like yours, we are able to be better and work smarter for our customers. Thank you for being a vital part of our success story.

7. "Good"

Current Employee - DSM in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - DSM in Irving, TX

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time

Pros

Great place to work, good benefits

Cons

Nothing that i would like to mention

Advice to Management

Keep it Up

"Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Funder in Clearfield, UT
    Current Employee - Funder in Clearfield, UT

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing.
    Poor management
    Company failing

Cons

Horrible management.
    Got rid of amazing leaders as usual.

Advice to Management

Give up.
    Let the company fail already. It's going to happen.

Mar 7, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition Strategies

We are disappointed that your experience at Exeter did not meet your expectations. We are always looking for opportunities to optimize all areas of our company including our culture, benefits... More

9. "Love my job and what I do"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing leadership and opportunities. Amazing higher management

Cons

Struggles with communication at times but an amazing teams

Jan 30, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition

It’s always great to hear from our employees and read their thoughts and comments. Your remarks are refreshing. We will keep working to make Exeter a great place to work.

"Dealer Sales Manager/Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Dealer Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Dealer Sales Manager

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with some cool teammates.

Cons

If you have any degree of talent take it somewhere else. The level of micro tracking and management is on another level. It’s obvious Exeter has zero trust in their outside field sales team. If they could deploy drones to follow their reps in the field they would. Company car is GPS tracked. They use the GeoTab data to track when you leave your house, when you get home, how many visits, duration of visits, and to charge you for personal use of the vehicle. Office days are frowned upon and are limited to 1 per month. They require an average of 7 visits per day regardless of traffic, dealer location, etc. The focus is on how many dealer visits vs building relationships with dealers. How can you build anything on a 5 minute visit because your worried about seeing enough dealers for they day? Monthly review with your manager consists of him looking at the data, as in GeoTab and CRM Entries (SF and GeoTab are linked) and interrogating you on days that had light visits, entries or both. Manager is so distracted with other company projects that he forgets some of those days were already discussed. Very frustrating to have a manager who’s passion and focus is not sales. Zero focus on results as in new dealer enrollments, application count trend, loan volume trend. You have zero autonomy in this role unlike with other finance companies. Pay is low. 100k is a pipe dream with the way they set goals in order to earn bonus.

Advice to Management

You’re building a sales team of mediocrity with the above described approach. Nobody with any talent is going to stay here long. Change approach. Change executive who thinks this approach will lead to any kind of success or just dissolve the entire outside team and run sales with the inside team so you can look over their shoulders all day.

Feb 6, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition Strategies

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to provide it and are sorry you don’t feel you had a positive experience working for Exeter. We know working in the field as the face of... More