Exeter Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Exeter Finance Chief Executive Officer Jason Grubb
Jason Grubb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have appreciated the improvements in work/life balance at this company of which I did not experience else where" (in 12 reviews)

• "Good pay, great experience, fast advancement" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "New upper management has turned that into a joke" (in 10 reviews)

• "No one can work under that kind of stress" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My Oppurtunity with Exeter Finance"

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After getting to work in both the operations center and Corporate, I got to experience the excellent culture that surrounds Exeter Finance first hand. The opportunities for internal growth are prevalent and frequently encouraged by management. Although they have been around for a little over a decade, the level of professionalism and efficiency that surrounds Exeter's staff and business processes is one of the many reasons that this company has and will continue to make a name for itself in the subprime automotive lending space for years to come.

Cons

I had no bad experiences while working with Exeter other than the Irving location being difficult to leave sometimes due to rush hour.

Sep 6, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the wonderful comments. We are glad to hear that Exeter is a place where you can grow professionally and personally. Through our engagement initiatives, we will continue listening to... More

2. "It started off good and ended up going nowhere."

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Clearfield, UT
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Clearfield, UT

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok pay, paid holidays, decent PTO after a while, ability to earn bonuses.

Cons

Working most holidays. There isn't equal pay between the two centers. Irving, TX pays employees more, eventhough the cost of living is higher in Utah. If you're looking for development you may want to look elsewhere. They're bad about giving a little room to grow and then taking back that room due to others poor judgement instead of coaching those people. One of the managers in the credit department had never worked in the credit department before and that caused a lot of frustration. She spent more time on her phone than paying attention to what was going on in the team and helping them grow. Management should be the ones coaching new employees and ensuring they have have proper training. It's not right to have fellow employees have to coach new employees about their errors. The work load is a lot and it's even more pressure if you perform. They need to focus more on other metrics. Also goals keep increasing, but they aren't promoting at the same rate. If they truly want to grow the business they'll need to make some major changes. It's too much like doing the cha-cha working there. Morale is also low for those who are in it for more than just the paycheck. Also no work life balance. They had some lunch and learn classes however, they weren't at a reasonable time so the closing shift could attend and the topics were pretty basic instead of geared towards development. Having one on one meetings just filled with threats and not hearing that you're doing a great job when you're constantly going above and beyond is annoying. Nobody is on the same page. Toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Lack of transparency from upper management. Bigger projects are usually told to workers by dealers instead of management. Lower level employees are sometimes the last to know. Too much gossip from lower level management including about upper management. It would be a much better place if lower management had more training and we're held to higher standards. Including on basics like privacy. If an employee calls out for whatever reason it isn't lower level management's business to gossip to other people on their team or to people on other teams. Also, instead of threatening employees why not train them more? An excellent leader will show you how it's done, and a bad leader will just tell you to do it! Also if they had managers who have the drive to help the company grow as well as actually teach their employees instead of just criticising and not being able to give advice on how to improve it would help considerably!

3. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearfield, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearfield, UT

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, fun people, great activities, awesome recognition programs, average benefits, lots of change in this case for the better, room for growth, pay is ok, manangement was having some issues when I was first hired on but has since been cleaned up and I am now seeing people enjoying coming to work. The current management care and make coming to work fun. I personally understand company direction and expectations.

Cons

I put pay as OK above but it also could be better here at Exeter to make up for the cost of living which is just as high as the Irving locations. If you are not one for change then that is a con because this place is cleaning up for the better. No local GYM which would be a huge advantage and destressor for folks over the breaks or lunch. Old computer systems, with all the updates and patches these computers get, they slow to a crawl. There are changes coming for this but not fast enough. No secret here, the company is either going IPO or being sold. This leaves a lot of questions for people like "in either case would there be layoffs?" "How secure is my job right now?" "I have seen companies bought before and a lot of good people usually get whacked, what are the chances that happens here?" This could also be a possitive if they are sold to the right company but as it stands the uncertainty is a negative.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for agents to attract better talent. Increase pay to keep up with cost of living. What about an on-site gym? That would be extremely beneficial. Keep up the good work getting quality managers in place of those who were not cutting it. I have talked to many agents currently working for Exeter that would make good manangers or could be developed to be great. This would show growth from within which is what a lot of people like.

4. "Want to get promoted? Look elsewhere!"

Current Employee - Sales in Clearfield, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Clearfield, UT

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exeter has newer management who expresses his want and need for change.

Cons

Allowing sub-par buyers to advance to management who can’t even give you a rolling 6 month goal is insanity. These buyers you just promoted have been taught and trained by your overlooked seasoned pros- one of them is less than 2 years on the job and the other was let go and rehired due to Exeter hardship. Great choices Exeter! May you retain the buyers who drive sales to over compensate for your poor management choices.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at what is written on paper to make yourself look and feel better. Instead look at overall stats - who puts fourth the effort all the time- who goes above and beyond for the entire Exeter team not just who looks best on paper.

5. "Sr. Collection Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Collections Specialist in Clearfield, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Collections Specialist in Clearfield, UT

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Our job functions were clear and exciting when I began working for the company. We were given a list of expectations at the beginning of each month, and we worked as a team to exceed the expectations. It was a team orientated and goal driven environment that allowed for a sense of cohesive production within the company.

Cons

No direction. The expectations were changed weekly, never allowing for anyone to truly understand their job expectations. Management had no idea what was going on, corporate seemed to be trying everything to boost productivity, ever rwminding us that we were expendable.

Advice to Management

Create and implement a solid and stable plan of action and stick to it. Remind your employees that they are valuable to the company.

Nov 2, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able create better experiences for our employees. If you would like to continue the conversation on how... More

6. "Good Place"

Current Employee - Senior Collector in Clearfield, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Collector in Clearfield, UT

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people I work with. Good base pay. Bonus is decent. Director makes it fun

Cons

A lot of change and sometimes it’s a lot at once

Advice to Management

Bring some specialty work to Utah!!

Nov 2, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

It’s always great to hear from our employees and read their thoughts and comments. Your remarks are refreshing. We will keep working to make Exeter a great place to work.

7. "Funding analyst"

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time

Pros

So far so good.... no complaints

Cons

Nothing more than the traffic

Nov 2, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Through your feedback and insight , we are able to be better and work smarter for our customers. Thanks for being a vital part of our success story.

8. "Anomnyous"

I have been working at Exeter Finance full-time

Pros

So far been great good environment learning new skills bonus

Cons

Strict on breaks availability on PTO things you learn in training are not always what is expected very clickish

Advice to Management

Available when needed.. more time with individuals to work on the QA stats in beginning of transation...also on QA make them more appropriate for each stage .. also if possible - with each Dept would be nice to have a individual survey on customer satisfaction if there happy with agent this would a big opportunity for agents on QA

Oct 8, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We value and consider all constructive feedback. Thank you for your most recent comments and please feel free to share your additional thoughts on metrics to JoinUs@exeterfinance.com.
    You are the... More

9. "Nice Place but Still Needs Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with
    Dedicated employees
    Great location

Cons

Unrealistic deadlines
    Low pay
    Lack of autonomy

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and empower them to do their jobs.

Sep 20, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

"Toxic Culture with high Nepotism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearfield, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearfield, UT

I worked at Exeter Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot think of any pros

Cons

I worked for this company for several years. I have never been treated so poorly. You will never get promoted unless you are family, friends or Santander. There is so much nepotism within this company. Do not ever feel like you add value because they will eventually get rid of you. This company is completely blind to see all of the talent that has left due to their culture. The continue to bring their Santander friends of to run the company straight into the ground. I use to enjoy my job years ago and got to the point to losing sleep, not eating due to the amount of stress this company put on its employees. The toxic culture is driven by the human resources team. You constantly feel as if you are walking on egg shells, they make sure you are aware that you are inferior to them and they run the show. They terminate employees wrongfully just because they want to show everyone their dominance. They constantly remind you that you are replaceable and add no value, you are just a number. I would highly suggest not working for this company. Their way of leadership is by micromanagement in all aspects. The communication is deplorable, they are completely untrustworthy. If you want stability this company is not for you. If you do not fit in their disgusting culture and you stick up for the right thing, they will make up any reason to get rid of you. Exeter does not care about their employees. Over the years they have diminished their focus on employee morale. By far the most toxic and unethical company I have worked for in my career.

Advice to Management

I find it interesting that HR selects certain individuals to socialize and party with outside of work I find it very unprofessional. It would be better if you actually did what was in your job description and cared about the people. Fix your investigation process because it is clearly not working VS just terminating employees who have never been in trouble. Don't act on feelings, act on facts. People would like to see you stop promoting your children/family and promote those who have been their a long time who are qualified to do the job. Respect your employees who are doing all of you hard work for you. I have also seen in many cases when HR writes fake/false reviews after a negative one has been written. Let the people speak the truth of the company instead of trying to cover it up.

Sep 26, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your comments.

Recruiting talent for a niche industry like auto finance has its challenges. Exeter is fortunate enough to have created a culture of excellence that has generated a... More