Exploration Summer Programs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Arnold Singal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You will be working hard, long hours (in 12 reviews)

• Exhausting and little time for selfcare (in 3 reviews)

1. "Summer"

Pros

Lots of fun for a summer

Cons

Long hours on occasion

2. "Hard but great!"

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs full-time

Pros

Excellent professional development, great environment for people who are thinking about education as a career.

Cons

It is a tough, around-the-clock job. You will be very tired and need the stamina to get through 7 weeks of working with kids and doing all sorts of jobs to keep the program running.

3. "Residential Advisor/Advisor"

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs full-time

Pros

Great people
    Fun environment
    Meals and housing provided

Cons

Long long days
    Felt like you have to "fake it till you make it"
    Not enough time to decompress

Advice to Management

Focus on the mental and physical well-being of the staff

4. "Good for teachers"

Former Employee - Instructor and RA
    Former Employee - Instructor and RA

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and teaching experience

Cons

Unclear expectations and long days

5. "Very worthwhile"

Pros

You meet wonderful people, and receive plenty of feedback. Great overall experience, largely because of the opportunity to work with interesting students.

Cons

Many of the rules you are expected to enforce are excessive, which creates an unnecessarily tense dynamic.

6. "Instructor RA"

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs full-time

Pros

Genuinely fun.
    The training program is very helpful and is a great first step towards a teaching career.
    The Yale area of New Haven is really beautiful, and there is plenty to do on off nights.

Cons

Teaching and supervising high schoolers can be very enjoyable, but it can also be incredibly exhausting. If interacting with high schoolers comes naturally to you then you'll be fine. If you're someone who needs to put on a peppy and energetic front that is unnatural to you every time you interact with the kids then it will be a long summer.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to recruit instructors before coming up with class titles. Many instructors were teaching courses in subjects they had little experience in.

7. ""Instructor/RA" [read: "Camp Counselor"]"

Former Employee - Instructor/RA in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Instructor/RA in New Haven, CT

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs (Less than a year)

Pros

Brilliant colleagues. Fellow staff members made the experience worth it. Designing a course and teaching is beyond rewarding; loved working in the classroom with students and could actively see myself becoming a better teacher.

Cons

Unhealthy work environment. The "meaningful" work is well worth it, but you're assigned a lot of tasks far below your capacity (i.e. setting up volleyball courts, monitoring students at the gym, cutting paper flyers in half for two hours, etc).

Very little break time (you work on average 7:30am-8pm and every other night you work the whole night through since you're on call). Only four full days off during entire seven weeks (including weekends). While compensation seems competitive, it works out to roughly $4 an hour.

The job I was sold was different from the one I carried out. Not really a teaching position as it was described, but more a camp counselor who happens to also teach a course.

8. "A Place Where Students Learn How to Pursue Every Facet of Life"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Exploration Summer Programs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EXPLO in an extremely rewarding experience. To be a part of the curatorship, development, and execution of a program that adheres to the unique needs of ALL students is unlike anything I have ever been a part of - which includes numerous other summer camps and programs. The fact that we develop an experience down to the finite detail of having an in-person one-on-one check-in with our students every night, to ensuring that there are healthy dietary options, is unique to a summer program that houses upwards of 500 students. Extending that, these students hail from over 70 countries and 45 states. And we, as staff members, get to teach and learn about these global perspectives. This is a place for every student. This is a community that stays with you for life.

Cons

EXPLO is not for every single staff member however. It is extremely rigorous and demands 100% energy all the time. It is rewarding because the effort inputted, is exported through hundreds of happy students, learning how to be explorers, risk-takers, creatives.

9. "Residence Director"

I have been working at Exploration Summer Programs full-time

Pros

The is great professional development for a seven-week job. All of the staff members are interesting and intelligent, and you learn a lot working as a member of a team and independently. The pay is also good, considering the fact that it includes boarding and food.

Cons

Be prepared to work A LOT. You get few hours to yourself if you work for this residential program. But then again, most summer programs are pretty intensive and this one is not much more substantial than other ones I have done. Sometimes the workload is very heavy and the program feels understaffed.

Advice to Management

Find ways to hire more staff members. The ones that are there are spread quite thin and are responsible for teaching classes, supervising residence halls, and running activities.

"Not a job for everyone..."

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, and room and board. If you are passionate about teaching and kids, this is the place for you, and you will have an enjoyable – yet exhausting – summer.

Cons

I worked as the website journalist/photojournalist, so I can only speak to that experience. For this job, the management wants photos which showcase the range of interesting and academically fulfilling programs offered; likewise, a certain style of photo is expected. Long hours – basically between 10-14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week, averaging 12 hours a day. Optimistic attitude demanded at all times – not necessarily a con if that is your genuine demeanor. Staff shortages, due to not hiring enough people and staff members quitting mid-summer.