Explore Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Explore Learning CEO Bill Mills
Bill Mills

Pros
  • working with children, staff are friendly, learn lots of new skills which is great especially if you're a graduate (in 15 reviews)

• I have worked for Explore Learning for over 4 years now (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The nature of the tuition centres being open 7 days a week means that it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Working hours make it tough to keep a sustainable work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

"Explore Learning"

Current Employee - Centre Director in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Centre Director in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company prioritises staff engagement and training; there is a constant sense of development with multiple training days and courses. This continues throughout your employment, with new opportunities created as you become more experienced in the role. Each day is varied, with the job including elements of the following; recruitment, finance, teaching and marketing. There is a large amount of responsibility from the start with regards to managing others and being responsible for business performance/targets. The inclusive nature of the academic programmes means that staff are constantly working with children of various ages, abilities and cultural backgrounds. All of this means that each day is varied and the role continues to be challenging, despite length of service. The management team work hard to prioritise wellbeing and work/life balance to ensure teams are happy and supported.

Cons

The nature of the tuition centres being open 7 days a week means that it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance. It requires a strict attitude to not taking work home; something which is reinforced by senior management. The nature of the role often requires working on weekends and evenings; something that can be either a pro or con dependent on individual preference.

2. "Excellent development opportunities"

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time

Pros

I have been part of the Explore family for nearly 4 years and I still come into work excited about the positive impact I can make! I have had several roles since joining and have seen firsthand the company’s dedication towards staff development and progression. Reward and recognition are a fundamental part of the company ethos and I have received continual acknowledgment of my efforts. This is a company that truly values people and is always finding ways to improve both staff as well as customer experience.

Cons

Some staff members have mentioned the working hours as being more unsociable than other roles. However, I embraced them and quickly learnt how to fit them around my own lifestyle .

Advice to Management

Continue to share your passion and investment in staff development!

"Explore Learning is all about the people."

Current Employee - Centre Director in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Centre Director in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company that listens to your feedback and changes based on your reviews. Your voice is always heard in Explore, it's all about the people. The company puts time into my constant and consistent development. They want to know our ideas. They want to know about your progression. They trust us to run our centre as if it is our own project. Recognition and rewards are a fundamental part of what I do. Our family value is intergrated through out the whole company, there is always someone to help. The team dynamics are fantastic, Explore is a job where you not only feel satisfaction from doing something great every day, but where you can guarentee you'll have a fun day every day also. Each day is different and there is always a challenge to face that keeps us on our toes. The flexibility and diversity of the role is a huge reason why I love Explore Learning so much, but the reason I would highly recommend the role to friends is because of the people.

Cons

Work life balance can sometimes be tricky due to the hours, but you learn to manage it.

May 23, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your fantastic review! It's great to hear how much you love your job and the amazing people you work with.

"A great starter job but not sustainable!"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Explore Learning full-time

Pros

- A great graduate job from when you come straight out of uni - lots of opportunities to learn new skills in multiple areas including sales, marketing, recruitment, management finances etc.
    - Lots of responsibility from day one which enables you to grow in confidence quickly!

Cons

- Working hours for managers are completely unsustainable - 8-11 every week day plus a weekend day are very unsocialable and will mean that you are unable to spend time with family and friends. The hours seem okay at first but are not sustainable for longer than 12 months hence the company has a very high staff turnover. You are also required to work bank holidays and have only 20 days holiday.
    - New initiatives and ideas are often implemented by head office without consulting the 'people on the ground' as such - the managers in the centre - and I don't feel that the hard work we put it is always recognised.
    -Excessive staff sickness from the part-time tutor team means that the centre is often very under-staffed and very hectic.

Advice to Management

- Implement changes to working hours with more 9-6 days - I know they are 'trialing' this at the moment but I am doubtful this will actually happen. Also ensure that existing 9-6 says are actually implemented - due to very busy centres, RMUs, staff shortage and training they rarely actually happen.
    - Head office and senior management should work the same hours as centre managers so they appreciate how difficult and unsociable they are. When head office come to visit the centre, they should stay for full hours until 8 not just leave at 5!
    -Create more career progression oppurtunities beyond CD - Regional Manager jobs are rare and head office roles are not an option unless you are prepared to move to Guildford!

May 24, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review, it is great to read about all the skills you have developed! I think it is just a typing error, but wanted to verify that our staff work 11-8 during the week, with a ... More

6. "A company that really cares"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for Explore Learning for almost 7 years now, starting as an Assistant Director and progressing through to Centre Director and then Head Office.

Explore hires such amazing people, and it means I pretty much always look forward to going to work. To work with such inspiring and engaging people on a daily basis creates such a great atmosphere.

Cons

The work load has often been high, with some periods of understaffing making it tricky to do everything I wanted within a role. This was always addressed eventually, but did take more time than ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep the family feel and the ability for staff to introduce new initiatives easily. Don't let introducing new processes/technology take too long as they are then out of date by the time they are implemented.

May 23, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review, it's great to hear you have progressed through different roles and into Head Office.

7. "Part time tutor role"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Managers really encourage of development of tutors, very supportive whenever tutors need help.

Cons

Some Children can be challenging, but you get techniques to help you.

8. "Explore Learning"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Explore Learning (Less than a year)

Pros

Very lovely group or team to work with that are very helpful and supportive

Cons

The salary for tutors is very low

9. "EL REVIEW"

Current Employee - Tutor At Explore Learning in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tutor At Explore Learning in London, England (UK)

Pros

If you like working with children and find it rewarding, this could be an ideal job for you.

Tutoring here is a collaborative effort - because you're not necessarily teaching the same children for every lesson that they come in, all of the tutoring team are working together to help the students improve and learn new things. Where you have shortcomings, other tutors will help you along g the way.

Cons

Although you are only there for four hours a shift (mostly), it can be quite hectic and draining, especially on the busier days. Management do not implement things such as rotating tutors who haven't been tutoring round with those who have to help with this.

Advice to Management

Rotate tutors who are not tutoring with those who are after an hour or so, just so they can get a bit of a break on more hectic days.

Where possible, consider the children you sit together in a zone as some combos are a recette for a difficult session, taking away from the amount of time spent with the other students.

May 9, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear about the great support you received from other tutors. I will make sure I pass on the suggestion to management - thanks!

"Great explorer!"

Current Employee - Tutor At Explore Learning in Handsworth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tutor At Explore Learning in Handsworth, England (UK)

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, flexibility, great pay after length of service increases and age

Cons

Managers can change often, tutors may start and leave so team may split a little

May 9, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review, and for tutoring at Explore Learning for over 3 years.

"Great company with some flaws"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Explore Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

.Steep learning curve
    .Early and continued responsibility
    .Great teams
    .Create and develop your team and culture
    .Great support and idea sharing with other regional centres
    .Experience running a commercial business as well as working with the children

Cons

.Working hours make it tough to keep a sustainable work-life balance.
    .With show-time beginning at approx. 3:30pm and the working day beginning at 11am, it can be difficult to complete all of the necessary commercial jobs before you have to drop everything for the show-time, perhaps more use of 9-6 days
    .Could use more customer service training in how to deal with very difficult parents
    . RMUs weren't always successful at certain times of the year; perhaps extra encouragement to innovate new marketing and lead generation methods rather than focusing on (sometimes) unproductive RMU hours as a KPI
    . Inconsistency between teams; I was lucky to be in supportive teams who were open to new strategy ideas, however, some were very micro-managed and not given constructive support, leading to transfer requests or some leaving the business.
    . Not many progression opportunities if not in the position to relocate; possible opening of other support positions to support the company's growth.
    . Not enough benefits/perks for the amount of hard work and long hours

Advice to Management

. Continue to recognise qualitative achievement through verbal encouragement, not simply financial bonuses
    . Whilst keeping each centre's individuality, maintain consistency in support for all ADs and CDs
    . Never lose site of the overall family experience, the children's progress is key
    . Introducing different progression opportunities rather than AD-CD-RM, such as regional marketing expert etc.
    . Each centre has their own business plan, but could use more exposure to the greater business plan of the whole company. This will help sync their plans as well as understand the impact of their centre on the wider business

May 9, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear about your experience with Explore Learning. The working hours are a little different to your regular 9-5 to enable us to support as many families as ... More