Explore Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Explore Learning CEO Bill Mills
Bill Mills

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working hours make it tough to keep a sustainable work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Difficult to maintain work/life balance due to anti-social hours (in 9 reviews)

1. "Tutor Review"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally supportive environment
    Great experience for anyone wanting to work with kids
    The kids are great and challenging, but usually worth it!
    Fairly flexible- great job for students etc
    Chance for upward mobility if you're good enough as a tutor
    Great hours- after school times and weekends

Cons

Starting pay is not a lot more than NMW
    Open all year round, so the centres aren't closed very long for holidays
    Appraisals are twice a year but wage rises only happen in May- never any other time

Advice to Management

Go back to twice yearly wage increases
    Give more sales based benefits

Jan 15, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your tutor role at Explore! It is great to read how much you enjoy the role. I have passed on your feedback about the wage increases and sales based... More

2. "Tutor"

I worked at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Lots of support
    Fun working environment

Cons

Challenging to manage time with large groups of children

Jan 10, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to review your role at Explore. It is great to read you had lots of support and found it a fun place to work. I will pass on your feedback regarding managing time with... More

3. "Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tutor in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, small company and team, alot of room for progression

Cons

Underpaid and alot of independent learning

Jan 16, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to review your role at Explore Learning. It is great that you like the working environment. I have passed on your feedback to the relevant departments. All the best... More

"Working with the children is the only good thing."

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Explore Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working with the children is the best part. Very rewarding to see them grow.
    - Fantastic experience to put on your CV.
    - Good training inductions after you get the job.

Cons

- Even if you are part time you will get asked to cover shifts almost everyday. In my case it felt as though you were frowned upon if you couldn't cover the shifts. Even if you let the managers know in advance that you have a busy week, they still ask you to cover.

- The hours are draining (3:30pm - 8pm on week days and full days on weekends).
    - Due to the open hours, tutor training is usually at a ridiculous time. In my case it was often 7:30pm - 9pm on a weekday, which if you are working until 8pm, you miss the first half an hour and don't get a break.

- All of the above mean that you loose your social life, particularly if you work towards the end of the week when people go out/ plan events. Even if you aren't on the rota to work the end of the week you will more than likely be asked to cover a shift.

- When working an 8 hour shift you only get a half an hour break. I think even if you work a typical 4 hour shift you should get a break as you are constantly on your feet and tending to 6 children. Even when I had one child in my zone and I could sit next to them, I was asked to stand up to "make the zone look energetic and fun".

- If you are confident with English and not with Maths (or vice versa), they do not offer any training to help you with these subjects despite what they claim, and you very often have to write down topics you aren't confident with at work and then learn them at home - UNPAID. They often say to have time during your shift where you can learn methods etc, but due to business you never get this time.

- There's always something to improve on. Although I agree with this statement, you are never really praised for what you do as much as what you are told what you can improve on which for me isn't a con, but for others may impact their self-esteem.

- Last but not least. PAY IS NOT ENOUGH FOR WHAT YOU DO. Although you can get a pay rise after a year of working there, until this rise you really aren't paid enough for what you provide to the company, particularly if you work during busy hours.

Advice to Management

Plan the rota's out carefully making sure there are always more staff than needed so staff who want extra training receive it. I loved Prodeceo for tracking your learning plan, however most of my learning plans could not be achieved due being unable to have the time during my shift to work on them, mainly due to lack of staff.

Jan 15, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to review your role at Explore. I am glad you enjoyed working with the children so much, but am sorry to read about some of the concerns you have raised. I have... More

5. "Good job if you like teaching young kids."

Current Employee - Tutor in Stanmore, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tutor in Stanmore, England (UK)

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding job
    Rewards for tutors
    Career progression aspect
    New skills learnt
    Training
    Fun with kids
    Decent pay
    Friendly staff
    Can always ask for help/advice

Cons

Challenging kids
    Session notes are too time consuming. They should cut down on amount tutors have to write. This is my main problem. I would rather spend more time helping children on their problems than worrying about not finishing their session note!

Advice to Management

Session notes are hindering tutors in helping the students as tutors tend to focus more on finishing writing them. Quality of note is not satisfactory to my liking. One side of the note should be enough to tell parents if and how their child reached their personal goal and also include lizard cards and spaces they can move on the board. Any more writing takes too much time especially whilst dealing with 6 young 6 year olds!

Jan 15, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for leaving us such detailed feedback. I am pleased to read you find the role rewarding. I spoke with the education team regarding the session notes, they said we continually review the... More

6. "Undertrained"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

A close relationship with other staff who are all pretty young and if you have a good zone with a mix of ages work is enjoyable. Pretty flexible

Cons

For 5.10 an hour and a couple of online training sessions you are supposed to be able to deal with children with learning disabilities, behaviour problems, get 4-year-olds to concentrate for an hour, answer phones, write out session notes and man the desk. It's incredibly understaffed and everyone is undertrained.
    The session notes system means you are more focused on filling them than actually teaching and management expect you to be able to deal with severely autistic children with no training and 5 other children to look after

Advice to Management

Give more training for learning disabilities, make sure there is never a full zone of 5-year-olds and increase the pay

Jan 2, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to review your role at Explore Learning.

I had a chat with our training team, and we would recommend you speak to your centre management team or Regional Manager... More

7. "Part time Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in Borehamwood, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tutor in Borehamwood, England (UK)

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing - everyone in the centre wants to get the best out of all the children that come along, and I feel my team have my best interests at heart. It's such a fun place to work, I really look forward to my shifts!

Cons

At first there were so many children to get to know, but after a month or so its amazing how well you get to know everyone. You really build such a strong bond with all the kids that come along.

Advice to Management

I love all the awards available to Tutors, but it would be great to have more team outings and social budgets.

Dec 18, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to review your role as a tutor at Explore. It is fantastic to read you find Explore such a fun place to work and that you have built great bonds with the kids in the... More

8. "Tutor at Explore Learning"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible
    Great atmosphere
    Excellent Training

Cons

Can become very busy but make sure you are ready to work efficiently

Dec 18, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for reviewing your role at Explore. All the best for your future career with Explore.

9. "Tutor"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

positive work environment, friendly and supportive team and management, excellent feedback and strong training

Cons

extremely short/few hours, low pay

Dec 18, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review your role at Explore. It is great to read you enjoy the positive work environment. If you haven't already, do speak to your line manager about the short hours, as... More

"Most varied job you will ever do!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly varied job roles with lots of responsibility. You are essentially running your own company which is exciting and you are in charge of all job roles including finance, Recruitment, sales, development, training, daily-running of centre and team management.

Children are amazing and fun to work with!

Positive environment and lots of trainings provided, meaning there’s opportunity to develop.

Lots of on-going training throughout your job roles meaning you always have a chance to improve.

External Trainings are super fun, engaging and inspiring!

Opportunity for bonuses

Cons

11am-8pm rota means it’s quite unsociable hours.
    End up working 1 full weekend a month, and your rota will be either always working one Saturday or Sunday.
    Long working hours and a lot of pressure with a big list of job roles.

Targets for centres can be highly optimistic and unrealistic. Quarterly Competitions within regions are difficult to win, especially when centres all have different targets and some are easier to hit than others depending on various factors such as location. Usually same well-performing centres will win and there’s no opportunity for you unless targets become slightly more realistic in some cases and higher for those high performing centres.

Dec 11, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about your role at Explore. It is great that you find the variety of the role so rewarding and enjoy working with the kids. We understand the hours are a... More