Eyefinity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Baker

"Great Benefits. Crap Culture."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Eyefinity (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package that shows the company cares about its employees and their well being. President is deeply charismatic and can be very motivating to those who choose to be motivated. Innovation was lacking for a long time so the company is in a position of playing catch up but there are some people who are really committed to making that happen.

Cons

Too much dead weight. Lots of unmotivated, uninterested, lazy slackers in R&D, many of whom have been with the company for years and who seem to feel secure enough in their jobs to continue not working very hard while still collecting a pay check. Very junior level QA team even though some have many years of experience and this leads to the product quality suffering. Mid level management has serious issues in R&D, in no small part letting slackers slack. Great place to sit on your butt and do very little work.
    Lots of interdepartmental backstabbing....beyond anything normal in the corporate world. Fingerpointing and blamestorming are the norm. It's hard to understand where this comes from or why it's tolerated as it doesn't seem to come from the executive team (but it does seem mid management supports and encourages it in the name of "accountability")

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight slackers. They bring more negativity to the company than you know. They may know the industry and the software but they bring down team morale. Bring in some senior level QA people who understand how to insist on building quality software and who can lift up the motivated but not very experienced QA folks.
    Stop allowing mid management to use VP titles.
    Figure out some way to stop the back stabbing and blamestorming and build a team that knows how to work together to build great things.

"Great place to work but has made some poor hiring decisions..."

Current Employee - Business Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Business Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Eyefinity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Eyefinity is a very exciting and motivating place to work. I have worked here for many years, and have thrived on the continuous change and advancements that have been made as we continue to strive to meet all of the needs of an industry that is relatively new to technology and has varying demands based on their individual business needs.
    To work at Eyefinity, one must be ready to take action and make a difference EVERY day. The work you were doing yesterday may not have been on the right path for the customer, so you may need to do it differently today. Unfortunately, this type of progressive and exciting work isn’t for everyone. In the beginning, we took pride in hiring employees who were the “right fit” for the job AND CULTURE, and who could get the job done. We were usually successful, and had a great, thriving workforce. However, over the past several years, as we have continually grown, I have seen us stray from this and we have brought on many very talented (and not so talented) individuals who haven’t had the passion to make things right for our industry; but, instead, have had a focus on doing what was right for them. I suspect that many of these negative reviews are those individuals.
    I believe we still have a core set of employees who are striving to continue the success of Eyefinity, but with the inequity created by those who are not making those efforts, yet are being paid the same or more because they have a more appealing resume, the Eyefinity spirit is slowly being smothered.
    The CEO really cares and is working to make the right difference every day – he just may not be the best at hiring the right leaders to drive that same mindset through the company. There are really great and not so great employees working here. Find those who really care about the business, and you can be a part of making Eyefinity the great place to work that it once was.
    Eyefinity offers a solid set of benefits (however they are being chipped away at yearly “because that is what other companies are doing”), excellent learning opportunities – you can gain knowledge beyond what any school could have taught you by getting involved with the various functions and processes served by Eyefinity technology, and endless learning and advancement opportunities – you just have to have a little initiative to search them out and take advantage of them.

Cons

There are too many people taking up space at Eyefinity, and many of them are paid much more than those who give Eyefinity 100% every day. Many have been brought in at a higher pay rate because of their “industry experience”, but it is soon clear that those who have been working at Eyefinity for several years at a lower pay rate have much more industry experience because they haven’t just worked in one or two locations in the industry; they have worked WITH hundreds or thousands of locations across the country.
    Hold people accountable to spending their day making a difference at Eyefinity. Too many are just hanging out collecting paychecks.

Advice to Management

Stop under valuing your long-term employees by bringing in inexperienced new hires at higher pay scales.
    Stop under appreciating the value of knowledge and experience gained while working at Eyefinity and teach this value to your HR department.
    Also, push HR to stop publishing employees’ job rankings in the company directory – it is very demotivating and has impacts the morale of some of your highest performing employees.
    The CEO should really focus on holding his leadership team accountable, and, hopefully, that will push them to hold their employees accountable.

"Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Eyefinity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Team is creative and is a collabrative enviroment

Cons

Some projects have been understaffed

"Running away in advance will save you from doing it later"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Some good restaurants in walking distance.

Cons

Eyefinity has a very hierarchical structure consisting of a handful of golden boys whom others treat as though they can do no wrong even as their offhand opinions add months of needless complexity to your projects without adding any real value. It has managers plying weird and worthless management fads, and gleefully inflicting petty acts of vengeance on the best people there until their victims finally get fed up and quit (and no, I don't mean me -- but I did see it happen personally). The software release processes are baroque and onerous "so we won't accidentally break something", but that doesn't prevent others from accidentally breaking things for you -- welcome to your emergency today!

The result is a gig worthy of that hypothetical unfortunate who likes cleaning up after someone else's disaster but doesn't enjoy the risks and low pay associated with being a literal fire-fighter. Your time is spent doing production support and disaster management, in addition to perhaps 20% maintenance. If there are any real development projects going on they'll be outsourced. You'll get to manage those mishaps too if they make it to production, but the good news is that many of those projects are such catastrophes that they'll never see the light of day. The same managers who can't lead you in a development effort can't lead a contracting team either, even if they did have the good sense not to hire the same failed teams over and over again, which they don't.

Is it all bad, doom and gloom, stay away at any cost? Well, if you have other options, run, don't walk to Dice.com or your favorite tech job board and exercise them. On the other hand, if you're about to loose your house or something, you could probably stand it for a year if your expectations are low enough.

Advice to Management

Management never listened to me or anyone else who wasn't an overpriced consultant while I was there. Senior management doesn't hire middle management for their listening skills.

"Client Manager"

Former Employee - Client Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Client Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Eyefinity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to advance to other family of companies

Cons

Management and product. The company is ridiculously top heavy, and leadership is inept.

Advice to Management

Fire the president, and stop hiring executive level from outside the company, and then continually restructuring upper level management positions, effectively masking their continued promotions.

"Great Company with great opportunity for growth."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Wesley Chapel, FL

I have been working at Eyefinity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very innovative leadership. Always looking to take the company and team to the next level. Great opportunity for team members to expand their skills and knowledge. True open door policy with full access to the president.

Cons

Most growth available in Sacramento vs remote offices. Increase mix of EyeCare experience new hires vs general support new hires.

Advice to Management

Keep marching on with the innovation and creativity.

"I love it here... but I'm the President... :)"

Current Employee - President in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - President in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Eyefinity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Eyefinity since 2000 and truly enjoy the company and the marketplace we serve. One of our strongest attributes is that we are owned by a great company: VSP Global. This ownership structure gives us a long-term investment mindset to do the right thing for our customers. We also strive hard to create exciting professional growth opportunities for our team, and along the way create a compelling practice management/EHR platform for the optical industry.

Cons

I've worked hard to create an open company with transparent dialog. I am about as accessible a president as you will find, and I care greatly for our people. Without great people in the company, we won't create the future. I'm saddened to see some of the reviews of my company on glass door. I respect people's desire to be anonymous, and will take all of these comments to heart. However, I can be much more effective to initiate change for the better with a direct dialog. Know that your opinions and perspectives matter to me and I welcome the chance to speak direct with you. I'll buy the coffee!

"A fun and challenging place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Eyefinity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone has the opportunity to interact with customers of our products
    Ability to move around and try different roles
    Small company feel but with full backing of VSP Global
    Investing in new products and technology
    Open and collaborative work environment

Cons

Still a fair amount of legacy technology and associated problems to deal with until customer base is fully transitioned to newer products
    Some people just skate by and obviously don't want to be here

Advice to Management

Communicate more frequently to remote locations
    Reward and recognize high performers

10. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

Get to work on some really new technology and we are given the freedom to try new stuff and innovate.
    Benefits are AWESOME!!!
    Its a great team to work with. Lots of fun.

Cons

Sometimes processes, procedures and administrative tools get in the way of being productive.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the antiquated administrative tools.

"If you like to be Haunted all year around"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Eyefinity full-time

Pros

Part of VSP GLobal - Being part of the VSP is the only good thing about this crapy place

Cons

- Product team is a joke
    - Abysmal Processes
    - Legacy crappy systems
    - Nothing gets done
    - No Salary Benefits
    - Irvine Office is a joke

Advice to Management

Close the Irvine Office