Fallon Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fallon Health Interim CEO Richard Burke
Richard Burke

Pros
  • In the past they had a good work/life balance, but there has been a backwards trend here (in 6 reviews)

• free parking, flexible hours, onsite gym, corporate yet comfortable (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's as if no one in management cares because there is another lackey willing to take the job, for a short time at least (in 7 reviews)

• poor leadership both in middle and upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Senior Care"

I worked at Fallon Health full-time

Pros

Local health insurance company that cares for its members.

Cons

Small organization, benefits are lacking.

"Fallon Health USED to be a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Fallon Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free parking, Chestnut Cafe, Night Security Guard is a kind and caring man.

Cons

I have been an employee for more than 2 decades and have had the pleasure of working with some of the most talented people I've known. I have seen many changes over the years but none as numerous and as rapid as in the past 7 years. Unfortunately the management in this company, at all levels, has chosen to bury their heads in the sand and allow one bad decision after another. And management is fully to blame for the current state of our company, which is very bleak. Our core business application has so many defects that we run hundreds of integrity reports daily/weekly to do our everyday work and yet we're still throwing money at the host company to keep telling us what we want to hear but deliver little to no results. Our provider contracts line the pockets of our providers with high reimbursement rates while we continue to lose money every single quarter. We've made payments that are so egregious and when brought to the attention of management we're always told "it's the contract". We need a strong new leader in Contracting to take control of the hemorrhaging. We also need new leadership in our Claims Department and preferably with claims processing experience. Claims employees are treated like children in kindergarten rather than being celebrated and valued for their knowledge and talents. True this department is meeting all dashboard measurements but when the quality of work is at an all time low what have we really gained? Re-work is our constant theme in every department. Contract and Benefit Configuration is constantly incorrect. I'm told that we have an auditing program in place to check this work before it's moved to production, it's just not clear what's being audited. Our overall company auditing program, Internal Audit, is in many ways our enemy. IA should be more willing to work with us, internal customers, rather than berating us. We are not offered any suggestions for resolution or corrective actions and in the long run are creating more problems for all involved. UM/Care Services has always been and continues to be a mystery to me. Why can't we ever fix this department? It's in a constant state of panic and reacting to problems when we should be proactively addressing the problems in the first place. I was optimistic when Richard Burke assumed the position of CEO but in 18 months we haven't really improved our position financially and we are losing talented long-time employees at an alarmingly high rate and it appears we are doing nothing to prevent this. We are in need of drastic change to survive. Otherwise, I'm not certain Fallon Health will still be a viable company in a year from now.

Advice to Management

20% of our employees are doing 80% of the work and your rewarding that that 20% by giving them more work. We can't get any more lean than we already are. Make some changes from the top down. Start recognizing us with actions - correct these issues that have gone unchecked by current management for far too long.

"Claims Examiner"

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Worcester, MA

I worked at Fallon Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were the only pros from this job.

Cons

Horrible executive team. Low salary. Horrible working atmosphere. Management only cares of themselves and disregards employee issues. Very hostile environment. Only snow days during state of emergency, had 13'' of snow this winter they stayed open and when people didnt show up for not feeling safe they got punished.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You dont gain respect if you dont show any.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Fallon Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company values and easy to discuss ideas or concerns with upper management. I've worked for them for 4 years and would love to retire within the company.

Cons

Change does not happen quickly within the company.

6. "Software Quality Assurance Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I worked at Fallon Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of room to grow! Great people to work with and work for. Positive work environment. Strong communication with the business areas.

Cons

No communication between decision makers and individual contributors.

"Always putting out fire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I worked at Fallon Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is growing and expanding in different areas and parts. The employees are nice but management isn't so much but it's an ok company overall. They have a great education reimbursement.

Cons

Managers rarely promote from within. They are always bringing outsiders and expect those that have been working in the position to train the managers instead of promoting them.

Advice to Management

Promote from within first so that employees don't leave you after a short period of time. Be transparent and stop threatening to fire employees all the time.

"Could be much better"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Fallon Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotes from within
    Work from home opportunities

Cons

Management does not listen to the employees. They have a large turn around because instead of disciplining the workers that continuously slack off, management gives their work to the hard working employees. It's not fair and has been brought to their attention several times, yet they do nothing about it and continue to wonder why their best employees are finding better opportunities. Morale is low and we give management ideas on how to change things but they don't do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Take your employees' concerns seriously!

9. "Fantastic work environment"

Current Employee - Misc in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Misc in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Fallon Health full-time

Pros

Employees and work environment are 5 stars. Worked there several years and nearly everyone I interfaced with in every dept was nice, down to earth. The building and Cafe are very nice. They treat their employees well and offer several employee recognition levels / methods. The current and past Executives have all been very very nice and respectful - very likable. No arrogance at all. Very kind, real people. I enjoyed literally every day there.

Cons

Benefits are very lacking and the biggest con. Not known for their salaries because they are non-profit and the health care industry has been rocky (no fault of their own) so many hourly staff have 2nd jobs. Hourly staff are MUCH MUCH more restricted than salary staff. In depts where you have a mix working side by side there is resentment (ex - hourly can't be 5 minutes late more than a few times - which only makes sense if you have a phone job where lines need coverage - very outdated). Vacation time for hourly needs to increase. They have added a few more holidays which they needed - now up to 9 I think (still below most other companies). Parking not good unless you have been there a long time or are high level. If you have a second household income and spouse's benefits it's a very nice place to work.

Advice to Management

See cons.

"ok but could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Pros

Management is pretty flexible depending on what area you work.

Benefits are decent.

Once at Fallon, people tend to stay a while.

Cons

Salaries are not always comparable to those at larger companies, but that's to be expected given its central mass location.

People who consistently perform well get rewarded by having to pick up the slack for those who don't which leads to burnout and eventually the loss of said good people.

Pay increases are minimal.

Advice to Management

Recognize those employees who consistently produce for you whether it be through financial compensation or other means.

Don't be quick to dismiss employee complaints as whining. Oftentimes these complaints are precursors to losing good staff.

"behavioral health case manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holyoke, MA

Pros

great coworkers
    helping at risk clients
    work in teams of competent, professional people
    market rate compensation
    travel reimbursement
    overall benefits package was average

Cons

poor leadership both in middle and upper management
    micro managed by individuals who struggled to grasp fundamental concepts of management/people skills

Advice to Management

listen to people. Don't assume that everyone that has an idea is trying to short cut the job. Be open to hearing a difference of opinion