First Insurance Funding Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Frank J. Burke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Office Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - Office Services Coordinator III in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Office Services Coordinator III in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at First Insurance Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people and what I do.

Cons

Location.. I travel very far.

Advice to Management

The ability to work part time from home.

"Pretty much a sweat shop"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at First Insurance Funding (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k. That's it. Sometimes they will buy us lunch but only after we've collected millions of dollars, individually. Then they will buy us a pizza pie... maybe twice a year. Woo. Rewards.

Cons

Everything. No one has professionalism in this company.. They all act as if everything is a joke. They won't take you seriously. They will pay you nothing and make you work endlessly. They do not let you roll over vacation days. But if you use them they get mad. Hypocritical.

The salaries suck. It is almost better if I worked in a retail store full-time. Raises are >1%. Bonuses are a joke. This company always breaks their budget. Brings in millions of dollars a year. They make so much. It's no wonder they are worth $3 billion. Because they pay their employees nothing. They are extremely greedy. They won't even get new printers, they are that cheap. They won't even allow employees to work from home. It's freaking 2016. It's the 21st century. Working from home has become the norm. They do not allow overtime. The managers make all the staff do the training. Their training classes are very impersonal. They can't come up with a proper training technique. It's no wonder everyone quits.

Oh... and if you've worked here for years.. doesn't matter. They will promote that new guy because he's a butt kisser. This company is pure cheap, greedy, and all about politics.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. Seriously. How many bad reviews does it take for you to understand that this is why people keep quitting?

3. "Appreciative of the oppurtunity FIRST has and still is providing me with."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at First Insurance Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience with FIRST has given me the tools I need to grow within the company. As long as you put forth an effort and show that you want to move up in the company you will. FIRST offers many outlets for training but it is up to you as the employee to seek out that training and set it up for yourself. Many benefits are offered working with FIRST and the benefits are extremely competitive. If you enjoy being self-sufficient, can get multiple tasks done in a timely matter, and are looking for a rewarding career FIRST is the place for you!

Cons

I can honestly say I have nothing to complain about. FIRST has gone above and beyond in guiding me and offering me outlets to train and become more knowledgeable on software we use daily. This company gives you all the tools you need to be successful, however it is up to you to develop yourself into the employee you want to be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Management works very hard to make sure there teams have the resources they need in order to get the job done. I would thank our managers rather than give them advice. My managers are always there when I need them and are very approachable and helpful.

4. "A great company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at First Insurance Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some but not all of the pros are great benefits, many fun company sponsored activities such as bowling parties, company picnics, Bags Tournaments etc. The company set up a Task Force so that employees can have a voice. I really enjoy reading the newsletter each quarter. Also, quarterly employee meetings are conducted by the CEO so that everyone knows what's going on and how the company is doing. I also like the free lunches that they buy for us on occasion. HR is very friendly and approachable. Top management seems to really care about the employees. I am very happy I joined the company.

Cons

No real major cons. Although sometimes it can get very busy in our department if people are on vacation or out sick. It can be hard to keep up. But, for the most part, I have no complaints. The workload is about right- always challenging and interesting. Pay increases are not always that great, but they are in line with what is happening with the economy and with other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!! Please continue to hold the company meetings. Employees like to know what's going on. Sometimes we get too entrenched in our positions and departments that we don't know the whole picture.

"I would not recommend working there."

Former Employee - Former Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Northbrook, IL

Pros

None at all.401(K) benefits are ok.

Cons

I worked at this company for more than 6 years.I got harresed by a employee there for about the whole time there.I want to management about it and nothing was done about it.Every day the minute I entered the parking lot of this place I would get sick that I had to work there and put up with this person.Also a lot of favoritism there too, it you are not a family member of somone there forget about having a good work environment there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.Don't alow people to get put down on a daily bases.Pay more and appreciate your employees.

"Winteust should disassociate with First"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Pros

401K match contribution and market affiliations. It helps to be able to build your network for when your ready to leave.

Cons

This company has not changed since I left. So sad because truly a lot of good employees have all left for many of the same reasons, favoritism, lack of propeer training, lack of recognition for had work, lack of reasonable pay, inept management (upper and middle). The company is only interested in making money for thise whom they like. Forget how much sweat one will put the job to tey and do a job well done because if you're liked, you don't have to know how to do your job to be rewarded. Considering this is a "Wintrust" company, you'd think there'd be a higher work and ethical standard.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees (SOP, motivation, positive reinforced initiatives) and remove the biased culture of favoritism, celebrate your employees instead of hosting board meeting during so called holiday parties, shut down for an afternoon so ALL employees can attend the on site company picnic, reward thise who have been there for some time with more than a cloxk pn their 5 year anniversary that thanks them for two years of service. Stop wasting time and money by bringing in people who are educated in fields that are far from what the job requires, just for them to stick around long enough to go elsewhere.

"Worst Place To Work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at First Insurance Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would love to say something positive about this place but it is really hard to say something nice.

Standard benefits.

Bonus based on volume of loans but that's subject to change.

Cons

We were supposed to have a bigger year end bonus but management made an arbitrary decision to not count one loan because allegedly no account executive worked on it and only senior management worked on the loan. A lot of people lost out on a lot of money. The company sells you on the bonus and when they think the bonus is too big they find a way to take it away from you,. I discovered some people don't even get a bonus or it's small in comparison to what everyone gets it's plain disgusting. Also the raises don't even cover the rise in the cost of living. They tell you, you have to continually prove yourself and take on work. You think you are proving yourself and you take on whatever extra work you can....although there isn't much more you can do and still you get nothing.

Human resources is lazy. I can send them my timesheet on a Friday and they can wait weeks to decide to review it and question it. When I complained about the bonus they also seemed confused, they had no idea. They have no idea what people do and I've heard rumors that some people don't get official reviews. They gave us Christmas Eve off, it resulted in us losing a discretionary day and while it's appreciated we never asked for it but their email to the entire office was everyone in the company asked for. We have all sorts of religions in the office, why don't the others get paid days off without losing a discretionary day? I've asked them to confirm my vacation days but when they do, they never get it right, they either deduct too many days or they haven't deducted enough. There is a review on here that says there is an employee task force, newsletter and quarterly company meetings. The task force did one thing and then the senior officers disbanned it without telling anyone, including the people on the task force, I've never seen a newsletter and I haven't ever participated in any sort of company wide meetings except for some sort of silly meeting our office has every month that basically spits back out numbers that anyone can see on our computers. This meeting they buy is a minimal amount of pizza and essentially ration it out and don't even get us anything to drink.

The Officers in my division are just clueless, oblivious and rude. It doesn't matter how shady a loan is all anyone sees are dollar signs regardless how uncomfortable the staff is. They will fight amongst themselves and drag all the employees below them into the arguments. If there is a mistake, they neglect the fact people are overworked and underpaid. They are quick to pin the blame on someone else and not on there poor leadership and an overwork/underpaid staff.

Middle management is just as bad, there is a clique and if you aren't a part of it, you are just in the dark about any decision being made. They act like they have your back but in the end if senior officers says something then that's it. Like with the bonus they acted all mad but in the end they did nothing. They talk nasty about their subordinates and they barely train you to do anything

In general there is a lack of professionalism in the office, lots of gossip and bickering. People feeling entitled and just not respectin when others are working.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff a lot more. This may be the most profitable division of the company but they get paid the least. Treat the staff better. Otherwise you are going to loose more employees by the end of the year.

"Let's just say I'm happy I left...."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at First Insurance Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security... if you need a job, they have a job... You'd practically have to threaten to smack the CEO in order to get fired.

Cons

1.Training: It just doesn't exist. You sit with 50 different people when you start and they expect you to be an expert when youre on your own. Yet those same people that trained you were trained the same way. So poor habits and bad knowledge just get passed down like a generational curse.
    2. Growth: Dont expect your career to take off here. Sure you can move around from dept. To dept. But you practically have to be sitting in the bosses lap or related to the CEO to see a promotion. The company is adding new accounts left and right but staffing levels havent kept pace. So you have more work with less people to do the work. Call center hold times are top 20 minutes daily so by the time a customer gets to your line they're yelling and screaming at you like its your fault..
    3. Speaking of yelling and screaming... certain managers will do just that. Assistant VPs will belittle you and berate you simply because they can. I've witnessed certain AVPs talk to the some members of their staff like they were the scum of the earth.
    4. New system... if you thought that getting a new system for the company was supposed to make things easier, this company is ready to call your bluff... The company has been rolling out this new system for the agents, insureds and us internal folks, and boy has it been a nightmare. No one seems to know how to work it. You ask your manager how to do something the correct way, they will likely shrug their shoulders and send you off to go calling around the company to figure out what to do.
    5. Management: there are no managers here, only place holders. Your team lead cant even approve you to leave early without first checking in with their boss. They they get mad at you if go over their head and go straight to the source, claiming that you broke the chain of command.
    Dont get me wrong, my experience @ FIRST wasn't completely horrible. There are a few really great people that work there and i want to see things get better for their sake. Whats so sad is that the good people are all looking to leave as well.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn to put the right people in the right places that can do what needs to be done, instead of only advancing your friends and yes-men. Management also needs to learn how to appreciate and respect the intelligence of their staff. Stop doing stuff like saying "we can only do promotions at the end of the year" and in 2 weeks sending out an email talking about all of the people that have been promoted. At least if youre gonna do it, dont then act like youre shocked by the bankrupt morale and toxic culture of your company. Get real!

"Thankfully the economy is picking up"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at First Insurance Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to wear jeans or dress like a slob because nobody enforces the dress code. Some nice people work for the company, I've made friends. Free coffee and tea in the break rooms.

Cons

Way too much middle management, my direct supervisor is the worst...I am certain that someone in the previous reviews was referring to her. As kindly as I can put it, she's a terrible human being and she does indeed talk down to you...if you work here you know who I am talking about as everyone who works for her ends up trying desperately to get off of her team. Tons of people who have worked for her have outright quit or left for new jobs, I hope to be the next in line. It feels like there are as many middle managers as there are regular employees which is odd to both myself and everyone else that I mention it to outside of the company.The yearly raises are very small, I know that the economy hasn't been the best but you also have to pay people to keep people. Bonuses are equally as bleak unless you are in "good" with upper management, it feels like they aren't awarded on merit. Our department is supposed to be logged into the phone queue at all times yet certain people get away with not having to log in to field calls while others get yelled at for logging out for a few minutes just to clear their heads. 9 hour work days which includes your lunch hour but be prepared to work through that hour (unpaid). The main building is outdated and smells musty/moldy. If you have a Dr. or dentist appointment be prepared to burn a vacation day, good forbid twice a year you came in an hour late/left an hour early to get to the dentist for a cleaning. Vacation time is only 10 days and you must take 5 work days off in a row for "auditing" purposes even though we are not deal directly with money (we are owned by Wintrust Banks so we adhere to their policies). Overall, while it isn't a sweatshop, it has been a very unenjoyably company to work for...very few people here find room for advancement and again those promotions hardly ever seem to be based on merit.

Advice to Management

I put in my time and worked hard and in-turn I have been rewarded with miniscule raises/bonuses. The economy has been picking up and my resume is updated, I will be parting ways shortly and expect others to follow suit.

"Desperatley looking to get out!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL

Pros

- Work to life balance is great, you don't have to worry about taking your work home with you.
    - Benefits are very good/affordable.
    - Casual environment except on board meeting days.
    - Co workers are great, always willing to help out.
    - Annual cookouts and Barbecues for employees.
    - CEO and VP are great guys, they always smile and say hello when you pass them in the hall, they are very approachable.

Cons

- Zero room for advancement unless you complain enough to the point that they give you some meaningless title just to appease you. (Not real advancement in my opinion.)
    - They pay is very poor.
    - Yearend bonus was a joke, not even enough to go out for a nice dinner.
    - Yearly raise are insulting.
    - An asinine amount of “middle management” that for the most part are incompetent control freaks.
    - Certain people get away with just about anything while others are put under a microscope.
    - You are given 5 sick/personal days a year, if you take one they make you feel guilty and you cannot sell any unused days back to the company at the end of the year.
    - Most employees are doing the work of 2 people. The company is on a hiring freeze so when someone quits that persons responsibilities are thrown on someone else’s lap without any discussion or increased compensation. This happened to me and trust me, it’s not fun.
    - One specific person in “middle management” talks to you like you’re a child, is very condescending, and extremely arrogant.
    - The worst part of my day is when I pull into the parking lot.

Advice to Management

Upper management really needs to reexamine who they are promoting and putting in charge, there are a lot of incredibly talented people that they are in jeopardy of losing to another company because they’d rather promote the people who whine and moan about it rather than promoting based on merit. I know the economy is down but the pay is so far below other similar positions at other companies. Better compensation and yearend bonuses need to be improved, I have heard many great employees talk about leaving for that very reason.