First Niagara Bank Reviews

Updated Oct 2, 2019

3.2
First Niagara Bank CEO Beth Mooney (no image)
Beth Mooney
Pros
  • "Excellent job culture, superior environment, smart work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

• "Great place great people in all locations(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No complaints regarding FNB, but lots of issues after Key Bank conversion(in 15 reviews)

• "merger with Key Bank disappointed original First Niagara customers, Key worried too much on employee performance than customer satisfaction(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great

Jun 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loved it there. It was a great place to work

Cons

Some information from management didn’t get to employees easily

2. 4.0

Great part-time job

Oct 2, 2019 - Teller in Allentown, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

work schedule, work-life balance, pay

Cons

the force of sales by management

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good pay and benefits, job, was essentially telemarketing

Jan 30, 2019 - Customer Care Representative in Denton, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

PTO, health insurance, regular workweek, you can get moved from teller to desk pretty easily, which garners a small increase in pay

Cons

Hard to move up to management; job is essentially telemarketing; everything is micromanaged. I had personal check-in and corrections despite being the top performer in the region.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Treated you like a person

May 11, 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

incentive driven sales goals, decent group of managers, and other employees at lower level were great to get to know

Cons

no much time off phone, had to incorporate sales pitch even when you could tell customers did not want to waste their time and wanted simple answers like what their current balance is

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

System Administrator

Nov 30, 2018 -  in Amherst, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fewer systems and complexity to navigate

Cons

Lots of red tape to get anything done

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Not a bad job

Mar 3, 2019 - Assistant Head Teller
      Business Outlook

Pros

job is easy, branch is usually slow

Cons

pay is not good and customers can be mean

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not my ideal career path

Mar 27, 2019 - Senior Relationship Manager in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent salary and benefits.

Cons

Micromanagement and lack of appreciation for employees.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Nice local bank with opportunity for growth.

Feb 28, 2015 - Head Teller in Bridgeport, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you work hard and show that you care and are trying, you will do well and quickly move up in this bank. I think the bank does well with staffing and recognizing talent. Benefits are pretty good and a you get a good amount of time off! I think communication is pretty good in this bank. A lot of good management.

Cons

Just recently, the branch goals have become quite high and difficult to reach and a lot more pressure is being put on everyone. It seems that each year, there are major cut backs to budgets and also a significant amount of people are being let go and the rest are shuffled around. This is pressuring as well, that uneasy feeling of not knowing how long you will be employed for or what other changes are in store for you or the bank.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to start off your career

Sep 7, 2015 - Relationship Banker
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started my career in Buffalo Ny, before relocating to PA. I personally have an appreciation for FNFG as it was a great place for me to start off my career right out of college. I started at the Customer Contact Center and then was promoted to a Relationship Banker (branch level). It has taught me many skills and tools that I still use to this day. your success (being promoted) depends on your sales numbers....PERIOD!

Cons

some of the cons In my 4 1/2 years were the upper management decision making. I personally didn't like when the incentive payout changed, which made it challenging to to really maximize your quarterly bonus. This is coming from someone who was #1 in the company in the RB position, and in my region. Its also sales heavy on deposit accounts, and loan products. Also in my region (PA) there were a heavy turn over rate for tellers, branch managers, and platform employees which made it hard to operate in a market where some branches couldn't even open due to lack of staffing.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Wrong Career Move

Oct 6, 2014 - Solutions Architect in Buffalo, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Vacation time, Salary and Bonus at par with industry

Cons

No communication even though "transparency" is a frequently used word. Corporate values are a joke. Employees are not valued, no training and no career growth path. Areas are reorganized without notifying those that are affected, no published org charts that are complete or accurate, the only way you know who you report to is by looking at the phone directory. Too many chiefs and empire builders, overloaded with consultants. Too many people resistant to improving process and fully utilizing the capability of the software/systems being implemented. Many of us believed we would have the opportunity to significantly improve the technology and methodology to bring the environment into the 21st century, but IT has done a near 180 degree turn in the wrong direction with the current leadership. Very disappointing, one of the worst organizations I have ever worked in.

4 people found this review helpful