First Option Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

First Option Mortgage Reviews

Updated 7 Apr 2018

2.8
First Option Mortgage CEO Kurt Nikolai  (no image)
Kurt Nikolai
  1. "Area President"

Current Employee - Area President in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at First Option Mortgage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

First Option provides a stable place of employment in an unstable industry. First Option has a file flow process that ensures your customers will be wow'd each transaction. First Option isn't afraid to invest in the Loan Officers and their Real Estate partners.

Cons

Some branches leadership isn't as strong as others.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the process from the point a loan is pushed into UW, which will allow our competitive advantage of speed to blossom in our markets. That also allows you to be the type of lender that can plug who knew branches into your company.

First Option Mortgage2017-12-20
  2. "Underwriter"

I have been working at First Option Mortgage

Pros

There are no pros. This company is a complete joke. It’s one of the worst companies I’ve ever been a part of.

Cons

No training and lack of direction from management. The head of Ops was the only person who had a clue, but I heard they’re no longer there too now. Revolving door of people year over year. Run and run fast!

Advice to Management

Leave the industry. You have no business in it.

First Option Mortgage2018-04-07
  3. "Sr. MLO"

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time

Pros

Outstanding support sales staff to help generate business.

Cons

Operations staff was going through internal changes.

First Option Mortgage2017-12-11
  4. "Wish It Were Better"

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time

Pros

Decent operations staff mainly the vp

Cons

Employee treatment compensation morale etc.

Advice to Management

Work on the culture of your company. Give incentives but most of all pay people more. The phrase you have to spend money to make money will help you.

First Option Mortgage2018-01-15
  5. "Mortgage Loan Originator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team, very friendly if you are doing your work, flexible hours, you are your own boss, great turn times

Cons

All commission, not many leads,

First Option Mortgage2017-11-11
  6. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Option Mortgage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family Atmosphere. Training is excellent. Executive management and ownership listens, encourages and gets in the trenches with you. They care about your success. The partnership between sales and operations is very strong and the support between the two is great.

Cons

Location would be the only down side depending on where you live around Atlanta

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

First Option Mortgage2017-11-09
  7. "former employee"

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, Good work environment

Cons

have more direct verbal communicate

Advice to Management

good company

First Option Mortgage2017-05-02
  8. "Looking forward to the Future!"

in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Option Mortgage

Pros

It is my experience that First Option, while not perfect, provides incredible opportunity for anyone who wants a career vs. just a job. They are truly dedicated to the growth of their business and employees and will exhaust all avenues to sustain the longevity of both. I made a good career choice. Things are exciting at First Option, especially with the fast growth of our Retail and Capital Markets divisions. The... leaders are all focused on the future and have communicated both short and long-term goals which continually renews my confidence. One of the things I like the best about this Company is that I’ve never worked in a place that feels more like home. My co-workers are always willing to help out and share in the mutual responsibility of providing an excellent customer experience to each of the people we serve. When times get hectic, like at every month end, we’re all in it together.

Cons

This type of commitment comes with a double edged sword as it shows the character of management, however it can drag down the performance of the rest of us as we shift gears. The transition always happens eventually, but at the cost of re-energizing the rest of us to perform at our peak.

Advice to Management

Quickly identify situations where data and performance results are clearly contradictory of defined expectations and metrics. Don’t be afraid to make changes. It’s ok to acknowledge that something wasn’t working as intended, but more importantly, that it was identified and corrected as soon as possible.

First Option Mortgage2016-06-22
  9. "You Get Out What You Put In"

I have been working at First Option Mortgage

Pros

As many other reviews have stated, one of the biggest pros is the people. This place hinges on the people and the culture. For me personally, the best thing about this company is the boundless opportunity. Not the kind of opportunity that most people expect to be handed to them because of seniority or for showing up every day, but the merit-based kind that you earn through hard work and being motivated to excel.... This being a small company, you have the ability to get involved in a wide variety of different areas if you can speak up and let your interests be known. This isn't like the larger mortgage companies where you will be pigeon-holed doing one particular thing all day long for years. Essentially, if you have the drive to excel in the mortgage industry and you have a thirst for accomplishment and knowledge, you can go far here. On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who just wants to come to a job, leave at 5pm every day, and expect to get tenure-based raises and promotions without having to really work for them, this is not the place for you.

Cons

This is a small company, so there isn't a ton of room to grant high fixed compensation levels. Compensation for many roles is tied to performance, which can be good or bad depending on how hard/efficiently you work as well as how much work there is to do. Obviously the seasonally cyclical nature of the industry will affect compensation levels throughout the year, so it is imperative that you have a rainy day fund... to float yourself when business is slow. I also wish there also was a 401k matching program, but again, it's a small company. Communication and training certainly have room to improve, and I would expect that they will improve as part of the ongoing business growth strategy.

Advice to Management

Focus on efficient operations and maximizing the ability for all employees to make money. Variable comp schedules can be a business's best friend, but only if there is a big enough metaphorical "pie" for everyone you employ to get a slice. Otherwise, you will have multiple talented employees who are hitting a ceiling and are not able to push themselves and the company to a higher level of success.

First Option Mortgage2016-06-14

"CYA is the word of the day"

I have been working at First Option Mortgage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great coworkers. They can be flexible on time as needed. Some management is personable. Good location and comfortable building.

Cons

Due to the "blame mentality" and sometimes open hostility of some managers, turnover can cause whiplash at times. Pay is a joke among the industry. Training is very much hit-or-miss. If you're in the in group for whatever reason, any number of sins are forgiven...résumé lies and mistreatment of subordinates as examples.

Advice to Management

Look to your current management to discover the reason for the stunning increase in operations turnovers. And don't think that "doing more with less" is the best way to increase profits where employees are concerned. It only serves to wear them down, cause justified mistakes, and drive them away to greener pastures.

First Option Mortgage2016-05-07