First Option Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Burford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sr. MLO"

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time

Pros

Outstanding support sales staff to help generate business.

Cons

Operations staff was going through internal changes.

2. "Mortgage Loan Originator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, very friendly if you are doing your work, flexible hours, you are your own boss, great turn times

Cons

All commission, not many leads,

3. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Option Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family Atmosphere. Training is excellent. Executive management and ownership listens, encourages and gets in the trenches with you. They care about your success. The partnership between sales and operations is very strong and the support between the two is great.

Cons

Location would be the only down side depending on where you live around Atlanta

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

4. "former employee"

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, Good work environment

Cons

have more direct verbal communicate

Advice to Management

good company

5. "Looking forward to the Future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It is my experience that First Option, while not perfect, provides incredible opportunity for anyone who wants a career vs. just a job. They are truly dedicated to the growth of their business and employees and will exhaust all avenues to sustain the longevity of both. I made a good career choice. Things are exciting at First Option, especially with the fast growth of our Retail and Capital Markets divisions. The leaders are all focused on the future and have communicated both short and long-term goals which continually renews my confidence. One of the things I like the best about this Company is that I’ve never worked in a place that feels more like home. My co-workers are always willing to help out and share in the mutual responsibility of providing an excellent customer experience to each of the people we serve. When times get hectic, like at every month end, we’re all in it together.

Cons

This type of commitment comes with a double edged sword as it shows the character of management, however it can drag down the performance of the rest of us as we shift gears. The transition always happens eventually, but at the cost of re-energizing the rest of us to perform at our peak.

Advice to Management

Quickly identify situations where data and performance results are clearly contradictory of defined expectations and metrics. Don’t be afraid to make changes. It’s ok to acknowledge that something wasn’t working as intended, but more importantly, that it was identified and corrected as soon as possible.

6. "You Get Out What You Put In"

Pros

As many other reviews have stated, one of the biggest pros is the people. This place hinges on the people and the culture.

For me personally, the best thing about this company is the boundless opportunity. Not the kind of opportunity that most people expect to be handed to them because of seniority or for showing up every day, but the merit-based kind that you earn through hard work and being motivated to excel. This being a small company, you have the ability to get involved in a wide variety of different areas if you can speak up and let your interests be known. This isn't like the larger mortgage companies where you will be pigeon-holed doing one particular thing all day long for years.

Essentially, if you have the drive to excel in the mortgage industry and you have a thirst for accomplishment and knowledge, you can go far here. On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who just wants to come to a job, leave at 5pm every day, and expect to get tenure-based raises and promotions without having to really work for them, this is not the place for you.

Cons

This is a small company, so there isn't a ton of room to grant high fixed compensation levels. Compensation for many roles is tied to performance, which can be good or bad depending on how hard/efficiently you work as well as how much work there is to do. Obviously the seasonally cyclical nature of the industry will affect compensation levels throughout the year, so it is imperative that you have a rainy day fund to float yourself when business is slow.

I also wish there also was a 401k matching program, but again, it's a small company.

Communication and training certainly have room to improve, and I would expect that they will improve as part of the ongoing business growth strategy.

Advice to Management

Focus on efficient operations and maximizing the ability for all employees to make money. Variable comp schedules can be a business's best friend, but only if there is a big enough metaphorical "pie" for everyone you employ to get a slice. Otherwise, you will have multiple talented employees who are hitting a ceiling and are not able to push themselves and the company to a higher level of success.

"CYA is the word of the day"

I have been working at First Option Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great coworkers. They can be flexible on time as needed. Some management is personable. Good location and comfortable building.

Cons

Due to the "blame mentality" and sometimes open hostility of some managers, turnover can cause whiplash at times. Pay is a joke among the industry. Training is very much hit-or-miss. If you're in the in group for whatever reason, any number of sins are forgiven...résumé lies and mistreatment of subordinates as examples.

Advice to Management

Look to your current management to discover the reason for the stunning increase in operations turnovers. And don't think that "doing more with less" is the best way to increase profits where employees are concerned. It only serves to wear them down, cause justified mistakes, and drive them away to greener pastures.

8. "---"

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time

Pros

??? I am not for sure

Cons

Mrg didn't explain commission plan . He didn't say it is a split regarding rate after commission rates; no training; no marketing for loan officers; set you op to fail . Mrg only cared about himself and didn't trust the staff. CONTROLING

Advice to Management

support loan officers and increase pay and give marketing dollars ; company doesn't value loan officers

"Hostile Work Environment at Corporate Office"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great.

Cons

Corporate's upper management is greedy. No communication and no training. They have unrealistic expectations of what it takes to get the job done. They jump to conclusions before finding out where the issues are. They put the blame on others without being responsible for their own weaknesses. Upper management is allowed to stand over you in a violent rage screaming, yelling, and punching walls. They are also allowed to walk the halls ranting, yelling, cussing, and degrading employees by name. Very unprofessional and a hostile environment.

Advice to Management

Discipline your upper management. Don't play with other people's lively hood. Train your employees.

10. "Sinking ship. Refi house in purchase market"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Option Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great! Everyone is always nice and happy. Have some nice parties.

Cons

Seen some things that were plain wrong to attempt to boost profits. Exploitation of employees. You are either the "in" crowd, or the "out" crowd.

Advice to Management

None. Some of the management is the problem.