First Option Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Burford

1. "Looking forward to the Future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It is my experience that First Option, while not perfect, provides incredible opportunity for anyone who wants a career vs. just a job. They are truly dedicated to the growth of their business and employees and will exhaust all avenues to sustain the longevity of both. I made a good career choice. Things are exciting at First Option, especially with the fast growth of our Retail and Capital Markets divisions. The leaders are all focused on the future and have communicated both short and long-term goals which continually renews my confidence. One of the things I like the best about this Company is that I’ve never worked in a place that feels more like home. My co-workers are always willing to help out and share in the mutual responsibility of providing an excellent customer experience to each of the people we serve. When times get hectic, like at every month end, we’re all in it together.

Cons

This type of commitment comes with a double edged sword as it shows the character of management, however it can drag down the performance of the rest of us as we shift gears. The transition always happens eventually, but at the cost of re-energizing the rest of us to perform at our peak.

Advice to Management

Quickly identify situations where data and performance results are clearly contradictory of defined expectations and metrics. Don’t be afraid to make changes. It’s ok to acknowledge that something wasn’t working as intended, but more importantly, that it was identified and corrected as soon as possible.

2. "Sinking ship. Refi house in purchase market"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Option Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great! Everyone is always nice and happy. Have some nice parties.

Cons

Seen some things that were plain wrong to attempt to boost profits. Exploitation of employees. You are either the "in" crowd, or the "out" crowd.

Advice to Management

None. Some of the management is the problem.

"Hostile Work Environment at Corporate Office"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great.

Cons

Corporate's upper management is greedy. No communication and no training. They have unrealistic expectations of what it takes to get the job done. They jump to conclusions before finding out where the issues are. They put the blame on others without being responsible for their own weaknesses. Upper management is allowed to stand over you in a violent rage screaming, yelling, and punching walls. They are also allowed to walk the halls ranting, yelling, cussing, and degrading employees by name. Very unprofessional and a hostile environment.

Advice to Management

Discipline your upper management. Don't play with other people's lively hood. Train your employees.

"A Churn and Burn"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Denver, CO

Pros

Fellow employees were friendly and fun to work with

Cons

Minimal training for operation staff, very little room for advancement outside of corporate headquarters in Atlanta, low pay, no overtime even when work loads demanded the need for it, micro managing by operations management with no encouragement, just criticism. Difficult to take time off for a sick day or doctor's appointment.

Advice to Management

Pay your operation staff a more reasonable wage; when I left, I immediately made double the salary and bonus I was making there. Manage workloads better, more encouragement of staff and more training on current guidelines

"Greedy Management Skilled at Sales, Not in Business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers that treat you like family (in a good way). Private offices for Loan Officers.

Cons

No structured training program. You're given a computer and a good luck wish.

Advice to Management

Don't just run with an idea and tell someone "make it so." Create implementation plans with realistic and attainable timelines before launching initiatives. Collaborate and seek opinions of others before moving forward with a decision. Put people in management that have a proved history of running a business, not of being a good Loan Officer. Promote on talent, not the good ol' boys club.

"My period of employment with First Option Mortgage was different from what I have been experienced in the past."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice office and location

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, lack o support from management

8. "First Option Mortgage, A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at First Option Mortgage part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic work environment, family style approach to management, and great compensation

Cons

long hours, but it is worth it

"depends on the branch"

Former Employee - Senior LO in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior LO in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

they can close loans fast

Cons

some of the managers are awful, some are great. corporate support depends on which branch you are in

10. "You Get Out What You Put In"

Pros

As many other reviews have stated, one of the biggest pros is the people. This place hinges on the people and the culture.

For me personally, the best thing about this company is the boundless opportunity. Not the kind of opportunity that most people expect to be handed to them because of seniority or for showing up every day, but the merit-based kind that you earn through hard work and being motivated to excel. This being a small company, you have the ability to get involved in a wide variety of different areas if you can speak up and let your interests be known. This isn't like the larger mortgage companies where you will be pigeon-holed doing one particular thing all day long for years.

Essentially, if you have the drive to excel in the mortgage industry and you have a thirst for accomplishment and knowledge, you can go far here. On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who just wants to come to a job, leave at 5pm every day, and expect to get tenure-based raises and promotions without having to really work for them, this is not the place for you.

Cons

This is a small company, so there isn't a ton of room to grant high fixed compensation levels. Compensation for many roles is tied to performance, which can be good or bad depending on how hard/efficiently you work as well as how much work there is to do. Obviously the seasonally cyclical nature of the industry will affect compensation levels throughout the year, so it is imperative that you have a rainy day fund to float yourself when business is slow.

I also wish there also was a 401k matching program, but again, it's a small company.

Communication and training certainly have room to improve, and I would expect that they will improve as part of the ongoing business growth strategy.

Advice to Management

Focus on efficient operations and maximizing the ability for all employees to make money. Variable comp schedules can be a business's best friend, but only if there is a big enough metaphorical "pie" for everyone you employ to get a slice. Otherwise, you will have multiple talented employees who are hitting a ceiling and are not able to push themselves and the company to a higher level of success.

11. "former employee"

I worked at First Option Mortgage full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, Good work environment

Cons

have more direct verbal communicate

Advice to Management

good company