I have been working at First State Orthopaedics full-time (Less than a year)
The hours are good. Company pays a good portion towards Employee insurance.
No real HR dept. Space is limited so everyone is crammed anywhere they can put you - departments are not together.
Advice to Management
You should really invest in a real HR Dept.
I have been working at First State Orthopaedics full-time
Hard pressed to come up with what's good with this company. The only thing that comes to mind is location. Close by Christiana Hospital.
Whew, where to begin? Horrible management that allows only certain people to get raises and bonuses. Tons of nepotism and cronyism. Different sets of rules depending on who you are. Changes company policies and employee handbook to whatever best suits them in a situation. Zero professionalism. Revolving door with employees getting fired or leaving weekly. Do NOT accept a position here unless you're absolutely desperate.
Advice to Management
None because it will be ignored. The doctors here don't care about their employees. The mentality is everyone is replaceable.
There are some great ortho surgeons that work for the company and are blessed at helping heal people.
The benefits are horrible...deductible is half your yearly salary
Management is ran by favoritism and family member.
You aren’t allowed to make healthy suggestions. You will be looked at as causing confusion.
No room for growth. If you think of taking another position you are told that they are unable to spare you.
Don’t ever call out sick or be sick period. They will treat you so uncanny I can’t describe on this website.
There are no drug screens, yearly assessments, and or decent raises.
I am so thankful I no longer work there it was stressful the amount of lazy, incompetent people that work there.
Advice to Management
The whole front desk team and HR need a revamp but I doubt this will happen because they have the CEO under their finger. Sad. The doctors deserve competent staff.
Competent Physicians, multiple locations, average to above average salary, full benefits package, free parking, electronic medical records, on site x-ray services
1) There is no human resources department and the folks charged with the HR duties are secretaries without degrees in HR administration and therefore make numerous errors/blunders in their attempts to perform a function that they are not, nor should be competent in.
2) There is barley any personal space for your belongings, in fact if you need to leave your personal belongings somewhere, e.g. in a locker, the locker is shared with another staff member and there are no locks or locking mechanisms on said lockers.
3) Until recently, timesheets were done on paper with pencil and turned in on a weekly basis to the "assistant" to the supervisor who calculated the hours and then they would be approved by the supervisor whom submitted the hours to the accountant. Along with that, the vacation hours and sick time were tracked by the supervisor in a personal notebook (also paper and pencil, can we say "the land before time"?) where subtraction of hours used for sick/vacation time was kept and submitted to the accountant for the tracking on the paychecks. Fortunately a "new" system has been adopted and time is now tracked on the computer system, but it is still entered manually by individual employees, time in, time out for lunch, time in from lunch, you get the picture. There is no 'clock-in" procedure either by badge or automated system via logging into the computer.
4) Although there is no HR Department, fortunately, an employee handbook for policy and procedure was drafted, however, the handbook might as well be tossed into the shredder, or fire, take your pick. In contrast to any major corporation that uses a handbook as the governing law of their management of employees and practices per se, this company doesn't seem to see the black and white purpose of a handbook and instead picks and chooses which days of the week or months of the year the policies and procedures that are written apply and when they do not, or when they should be otherwise interpreted into gray areas.
5) Seniority rules. One could be the most brialliant mind this company has seen in 15 years and see things from a new perspective with fresh ideas derived from a well-rounded background of previous professional experience however because he or she is new to the company if one were to suggest the possibility of a different workflow, possibly more efficient, not at all cost prohibitive, in fact likely money saving, that suggestion would be dismissed due to one's lack of time/seniority within the company. It is very much looked down upon to make suggestions, or give ideas to anyone in a "higher" position. There is a definite hierarchy in this company and it is defined by seniority, not necessarily by professional experience or innovative concepts and ideas, those folks need not apply.
I could list other cons, but I believe my point has been made.
Advice to Management
Don't be afraid of intelligent folks whom offer suggestions, concepts and ideas. They are likely not there to harm you, rather to help you and your business flourish. It can be intimidating when things have been done a certain way for many years to have new, fresh ideas brough to the table as a way to possibly reinvent, or improve the process, but you will never know what the outcome may be unless you try, or at least have the open-mindedness to hear the suggestions without shooting down an enthusiatstic employee in his or her tracks. When you continuously do that, you miss out on great opportunities and employees stop coming up with creative ideas. Employees are your best assets.
Get a bonafide Human Resources generalist. I'm sure they are not inexpensive, but in the long run, it probably will cost you a lot less to have someone who understands the inner workings of the employer-employee relationship and the proper way to handle certain circumstances. They also are able to assist in matters of benefits, the hiring process, offer letters, etc. Things that are lacking in the organization to date.
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?