KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

89% Recommend to a Friend
95% Approve of CEO

Found 52 of over 52 reviews

4.5
Freedom First Credit Union President & CEO Paul Phillips (no image)
Paul Phillips

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Decent pay, good individual people(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Great organzation

May 31, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I do not believe there is a better place to work than Freedom First! Our community involvement and commitment to our employees and members is unmatched.

Cons

There is nothing that comes to mind.

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are committed to workplace culture and relationships with our employees!

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not enough support despite salary

Jun 2, 2022 - Teller Line Supervisor in Roanoke, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, good individual people

Cons

Salaried employees are overworked, I was easily working 45-50hrs+ a week, no overtime. Increased individual responsibilities after they cut staffing, but no room for forgiveness when the workload was overwhelming individual capacity for quality control. Eventually was pushed out for newbie and burnout mistakes, when this should have been a flag for intervention, not write-ups, despite my good previous work capacities for years prior. No Work/Home Life balance - was working 5-6 days a week; expected to be at work between 7a-8a, often didn't get to leave work until after 630p-730p, while senior management was not rolling in until 8-something & got to go home at 5p - in addition having to work Saturdays 2 to 3 times out of the month, while management would only work 1 Sat/month.

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for offering feedback. Your comments will be shared and discussed with the Senior Retail Leader. If you would like to discuss your concerns in greater detail, please contact HR or the Senior Retail Leader.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

meh

Jun 2, 2022 - Teller
    Business Outlook

Pros

meh, none to be found.

Cons

Garbage employee treatment overall experience is lame.

SVP Organizational Development

I would like to hear more about your experience. Please contact me directly to discuss privately and confidentially the details of your review. Thank you.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

One of a kind organization

Feb 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Even when compared to other Credit Unions and CDFIs in and outside of our region, I can honestly say that FFCU is truly something special. I'd argue that FFCU invests in the local community like no other financial institution. Highest levels of executive team are supportive of the community development mission AND oversee a top notch financial institution with something for everyone. Lots of credit to our CEO.

Cons

No downsides I can think of currently. Pay is not as competitive as other organizations but being a part of a credit union that is impacting the community in meaningful ways makes up for that. Quality of work life and loving what you do is a huge ➕➕➕

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for your many years of service and your collaborative spirit! I'd love to discuss your advice to Management feedback. Feel free to reach out to me directly anytime.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

A Good Place to Work with a Valuable and Fulfilling Mission

Feb 15, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work/life balance is pretty good. Not a whole lot of demands placed on working late or on weekends/holidays. Since it's a relatively small company you will most likely interact with the upper level management at some point. Having the CEO/COO know your name and speak to you is not something that happens at a lot of places. The mission of serving underbanked members and giving back to the community makes it feel like your work is really making a difference for the average person. The PTO time is fairly generous even if it's a little convoluted in how it works (see Cons). The starting amount is decent and increases as you gain seniority. The total balance of days is also available at the start of the year as opposed to being earned at a set rate throughout the year which is nice if you have an early year vacation or illness. The people who work there are almost all great people who are enjoyable to work with and around. Obviously there will always be some negative attitudes or difficult co-workers but by and large the people are positive and seem to care about you as a person as well as a co-worker. The health insurance is not the best but it is actually pretty good all things considered. This is especially true if you have employee only coverage as the premiums increase quite a bit as you add spouse/children. The benefit credit that is given to help offset some of the cost is very nice.

Cons

First and foremost as another review mentioned, I believe that having an all-employee meeting in-person right now is a bad idea. Many people are still working remotely and other policies are still in place to prevent too many people being around each other but it is somehow ok to get everyone in the same building for 8 hours. Given that the company's response to the pandemic has been pretty good thus far this decision is especially surprising and disappointing. And it puts employees who are uncomfortable being around that many people in an even more awkward position of having to either speak up about it or stay silent and do something they do not feel is safe. This is especially true since this meeting has been 100% mandatory in the past and people have been reprimanded and even let go for not attending. As a not for profit, the pay ranges are simply not as competitive as you would see from for profit companies in the same industry/position. This is somewhat offset by the work/life balance mentioned in the Pros section and the PTO/holiday schedule. But if salary is your main driver you will most likely be able to find a higher paying position somewhere else. The combination of vacation and sick time into one PTO bank is a bit archaic and leads to confusion/hesitation to use it as vacation time (lest you get sick and need it for that). The actual sick bank is even more confusing and relatively useless as it only kicks in after a certain amount of consecutive missed days and therefore is really only useful if you're sick for several days all at once. As we've grown I have noticed an increase in "exceptions" to various policies. Some employees are held strictly to certain rules and procedures while others skirt them or completely ignore them with limited, if any, repercussions. This happens both across departments and within them and I'm worried it will lead to resentment from those who do follow the rules. Another issue with growing so quickly is there have been some people promoted to management positions that have little experience with managing people and are not given training or guidance. This is unfair to both the manager and their direct reports.

1 person found this review helpful

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for providing such a detailed review. I would love the opportunity to discuss with you the several benefits you mentioned. Your misunderstanding of the meeting protocols, time off and health insurance could potentially lead to you missing out on all of the features the benefits offer. I hope you enjoyed the Annual Employee Meeting and after attending recognized the event was a safe environment for all employees.

6. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Jan 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is very good. FF honestly does good in the community and keeps that as its focus above profit; I am proud to tell people I work there. The managers and execs care about employees, top to bottom.

Cons

The health insurance isn’t great. It’s not terrible, but not the best

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for posting a review! We appreciate the feedback!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Happy to be here!

Jan 28, 2022 - Home Equity Processor in Roanoke, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly and thorough interview process. Informative week of training provided. Managers and coworkers are welcoming. Positive attitudes prevail.

Cons

Working from home could be options for more/all employees, especially during the pandemic.

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for sharing your positive experience! We are happy you joined our team! Appreciate your suggestion to explore more options for remote work.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work

Jan 26, 2022 - Vice President
    Business Outlook

Pros

Local Business Giving back to the community

Cons

Nothing comes to mind here

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for your dedication, commitment and years of service!

9. 5.0

I love my job.

Jan 26, 2022 - Contact Center Agent in Roanoke, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Freedom first has promoted me multiple times and I have been with them going on 4 years. They have also been good to me. They have taught me so much. I have eat great people and have been given so many opportunities.

Cons

PTO is good but can be stressful with kids if you don’t want to use your PTO to save for the year but can’t take it un paid.

SVP Organizational Development

Congratulations on your success! It's wonderful to hear from a member of the Contact Center. We appreciate the exceptional service you provide to our members!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best place ever. And that’s not an exaggeration

Jan 26, 2022 - Deposit Operations Specialist in Roanoke, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and great upper management. It’s clear to me that by the way we manage processes and how we want to and how everyone conducts themselves. That freedom first and its people, want to help the people they service. If somethings wrong, we are going to fix it. If something needs to be improved. Your voice is heard.

Cons

Sometimes certain policies don’t make the most sense, and it may be hard to find an exact answer to certain questions. But everyone is will to help you. And it’s great to be a part of a team where we are all constantly trying to improve ourselves and others.

SVP Organizational Development

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the advice to Management. Your suggestion for document and procedure organization is an active project in 2022. We hope you will find the new system organized and efficient. Please let us know!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 52 Reviews
</>Embed

Freedom First Credit Union Reviews FAQs

Freedom First Credit Union has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 52 reviews left anonymously by employees. 89% of employees would recommend working at Freedom First Credit Union to a friend and 94% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 149% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Freedom First Credit Union employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Freedom First Credit Union. This rating has improved by 98% over the last 12 months.

89% of Freedom First Credit Union employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Freedom First Credit Union 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Freedom First Credit Union Job Seekers