Freeze Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "good post-graduation job"

I have been working at Freeze full-time

Pros

Good people, nice working atmosphere

Cons

Not paid enough, no real advancement

2. "An Interesting Experience Wrought With Issues"

Former Employee - License Juniors Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - License Juniors Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have a good art director in your department (which I had), you eliminate a decent portion of most of the troubles I've seen other Freeze employees had. A good art director will allow for a certain degree of creativity and experimentation with your work, which can be fun. It's an excellent learning experience and, especially having not earned a degree after leaving school, I was quite happy that I got this employment so early after college. If you work with licenses, some of the perks of seeing production works before their public release can be fun. There are benefits and stock purchasing options available, and you get a good hour long lunch break and Jewish holidays off.

You also can network with other great creative people here. Nearly everyone I met at this job were fascinating people to know, some I still keep in touch with and follow creatively. For the design department, dresscode is also pretty relaxed. Some people will opt to dress nicely, but my own supervisor often wore ripped jeans and sneakers in the office. I was more buttoned up in appearance when I interviewed than either of my interviewers and completely ditched the button up and blazer combo within half a month of working there. And it's nice to be comfortable when you're at work. If you're in sales or one of the other departments in the showroom area, however, you'll want to dress a little smarter than the artists.

I definitely recommend it as a first office job experience for creatives looking to boost their resume and portfolio. Perhaps not for more than that, but it's an okay first industry experience for people leaving college.

Cons

Remember what I said about IF you have a good art director in charge of your department? That's the only way you'll want to work here for more than a year. That or if you actually get promoted or can't find work elsewhere. A couple of the departments had trouble holding onto artists because of how terrible some of the art directors are, either at their job or as a person. Even with a good art director, 80% of this job is copying and pasting with a few effects and text treatment added in. That gets monotonous, so a lot of people come and go frequently. Last I heard, even my spot is still left open a year later. People just don't want to do repetitive work when you're barely making even with a NYC cost of living.

Which is the other thing. The starting pay is not great if you're living on your own in NYC. Great if you're living with parents or overstuffing a flat with several friends, but I personally would have to call home for bailouts periodically. One of two paychecks per month would be completely drained after rent was due.

Higher ups don't care. They are really restrictive with raises and growth, and don't like people staying late voluntarily to get the work finished on time. Most people show up as much as half an hour late and try to make up for that by staying the extra half hour, but around the time I left, there was talk of how much the bosses up top didn't like it when people from the design department stayed late, regardless if they were tardy or not or if it was to meet a deadline. Even when I stayed late because a sales rep got a request last minute from a client that wanted a specific set of design options made from scratch just an hour before clock out and asking for major changes five minutes before the end of office hours. I think it's their way to avoid having to pay overtime, which I was told upfront is something they don't offer. But working late can be inevitable in many situations with this office, depending on what job you get. They also pulled one of the perks designers get, which was to be able to take home old samples and clothing bodies when they were getting cleaned out of the showroom. These are items that we designed, ones that didn't necessarily get picked up for mass production, and they were going to make us pay the company for our work that they were otherwise just going to throw away. Not donate or recycle. Throw away.

Nepotism is a serious problem, too. Sales representatives are the ones pulling in the most money here, picking up commissions and huge bonuses, and a good number of the sales people are related to the CEOs. And remember, artists here don't get commissions, just pats on the back and a note in their file for consideration at the end of the year evaluation when something of theirs sells, or becomes a best selling item. Shortly before I left, someone in sales accidentally emailed the whole office his resume; someone who was known to be the last person to clock in and one of the first to clock out, and reputed as not being particularly great at his job in between. His base salary was six figures. 'Caused a huge wave of resentment in an office that already bad relationship with the higher ups.

Last thing is the client buyers. Some are great, but most are terrible and want to just buy the same thing, which contributes to repetition and monotony in this job for designers. Or worse, they can't ever make up their mind on what it is they want from the designers so you'll be making revisions that cut into time for other client projects for months. The one buyer that asked for a specific design to be done an hour before clock out was a frequent headache. Some licenses also try to push for certain designs to be made, but sales people don't want to pitch them to buyers because of how particular those sales people are. (Which is annoying. It's your job to convince them to buy in the first place.) It really can make the job draining.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees! They'll put in more effort to show up on time is you actually show appreciation with more than smiles at the holiday parties and the possibility of an acrylic award to put on their desk (one which notoriously had the wrong name on it when awarded.) Actually reward them when their work is bought by a client for special pitches and brings in more business with that company. The artists often have a lot of valid input regarding trends that isn't considered for some bizarre reason by the sales staff, who often like to fall on easy sales instead of products that the licenses want to push production for. And, really consider how heavy the workload is with shrinking production staff. It makes for unhappy staff and work errors.

3. "EXTREMELY POOR Leadership/ Management, some nice coworkers"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1 hour lunches Mon-Thurs (Fri half-hour). Some of the employees are good people. Regular Office Hours. You can chat while you work. The desks/ cubes are nice and large. There is a refrigerator in the lunchroom to keep your food in.

Cons

They don't care about their employees' happiness.
    DO NOT apply here if you don't want to be put into a position where you're given more work than you can handle, or if you're not open to your responsibilities growing. They'll little by little give you tasks that do not fit your your job description.
    Hardly ever spoke to or received feedback from anyone higher than me. Many emails went unanswered or only given a couple of words for an answers (with misspellings). While I was a new employee and later when new tasks were given to me, more often than not I received little to no training.
    Also, they DO NOT MAINTAIN THE INSIDE OF THE BUILDING. If you have allergies, this is not the place for you. It looks OK at first, but the roof/ ceiling leaks when it rains, they do not dust properly, they use a broken vacuum; the cleaning staff just doesn't care (they hang out in the lunchroom while they're supposed to be cleaning). Once they put WET TOILET PAPER INTO THE STALLS. It could have been wet from leaking from the roof/ ceiling!

Advice to Management

Treat others the way you'd want to be treated.

4. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Reception in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Reception in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only pros to working there is you get all of the Jewish holidays off, and Friday's you go in earlier and leave earlier

Cons

Management is inept. The controller does just that, controls everyone's lives. She wants you to come in early, work through lunch, stay late, all without being compensated. She thinks nothing of degrading employees by screaming at them in front of others. She has no sense of reality There are a few bosses pets who run back to her every time they have any gossip.. If you are her pet, things are ok, otherwise it's like walking on egg shells there. I've never worked somewhere where there was so much stress. I'm so happy to be free from Freeze!!

Advice to Management

Try acting like you actually care for your employees.I know it's hard considering how you are, but otherwise nobody will ever stay, and YOUR JOB will be at stake. Ha. Can't wait for that day to come!

5. "entry level only"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of jewish holidays and getting to leave early on fridays. Depending on which department you are in, you might get someone who genuinely cares about your well being.
    Coworkers are very talented and friendly people.

Cons

where do I start?
    Pay: The obvious ones is that it's very low pay. They always bank on hiring fresh college grad which is the easy way to low-ball your salary. Speaking of pay, the difference of what a salesperson make compared to a designer is miles part. Granted, it's comparing apples and oranges, but when you compare the effort that's put into the occupation, it seems very unfair that they get paid 50% more for doing a whole lot less. Majority of the time I was there, the sales people would just chit chat, go to the bathroom and be on their smartphones all day playing games or making personal calls. The artists' on the other hand, create art on tight deadlines, gets all the blame if anything goes wrong and get this...doesn't make any commission off the art they make. All of the art sales are tacted onto the salesperson's paycheck instead. I overheard a salesperson seeing an artwork being printed out and said "oh you made this art? Man, I gotta thank you for that, I bought a new house with that piece alone, thanks bro!"

Trentment of employees: in addition to the inequal nepotism, our well being wasn't much of a concern for them. During Hurricane Sandy, the CEO wanted us to come into work. It wasn't until the MTA shut down that he allowed 1 day off, ONE. If you weren't able to come in the next day, they take it out of your sick/vacation days. Same scenario a few years later when the floor had a bed bug problem. Because we were on a tight deadline, we were forced to stay to finish instead of leaving the area.

Benefits: one of the bottom of the barrel health insurances where you end up paying a lot out of pocket. no dental, no vision.

HR will fight you tooth and nails over not wanting to give you essential office supply like hightlighters, post-its and tape.

I can go one. But bottom line is that this company will only treat you like cattle.

Advice to Management

stop living in your own little bubble and listen to the small guys that work in the company.

6. "artist"

Pros

nice people,fun atmosphere, off for jewish holidays,young co workers, nice clean office, next to all major subways

Cons

low pay, can't use my full artistic ability, dont really give raises, can't grow

Advice to Management

give higher bonuses, and raises

7. "Great for Entry, Bad for Everything Else"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in New York, NY

Pros

For an entry level graphic artist position, it was great. Having recently graduated, it was nice to find a job within my field with benefits (very minimal benefits, but benefits nonetheless). It was simply a job to take for experience to move on from after a year. You do get a lot of the Jewish and Federal Holidays off, which was a perk every so often.

Cons

Nothing really creative about the job, and it's not work I ever shared with my friends and colleagues for my portfolio. Salary you can barely get by on with the cost of living in New York. Poor management and art direction, at least on my team. People in general there are childish and the company culture is not fostered at all. Near the end of my time there no one on my team was talking to me for very juvenile reasons. You are expected to stay over time and they don't even respect your time. They say to come in on time at 9, but no on takes it seriously, and raises rarely come (they're very strict about it and still very frugal about it). The artists and designers do a lot of work but the Sales Team make the commission and the artists who made the designs aren't compensated at all. They have benefits, but they're about the lowest you can get. It's also an Assyrian Jewish company, so if you apply to another company after working here that is owned and run by Assyrian Jewish, they can't hire you as it's part of their code. No growth with the company, they're even strict about upgrading their system and computers. My computer at the time was six years old and would crash every so often and the CEO refused to upgrade my team's hardware. It's simply a sad and poor working environment and I still have friends there who are really trying to leave. You witness a lot of nepotism in the company too.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. You make a ton of money and that shouldn't be shared with just the sales team. You can afford to upgrade the hardware and give raises to those who truly deserve them. Try to actually show you care and appreciate them besides reminding them they are expendable and maybe you'll actually get better reviews.

8. "Front desk"

Pros

Great hours, friendly support staff and hr

Cons

Horrible boss, very rude and stubborn

Advice to Management

Update everything and stop being so stingy

"Worked for one year as an entry-level 'graphic artist'"

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good "starter" job for anyone looking for steady pay right out of college (if you majored in or are interested in going into graphic design, digital art, etc.) The office is clean and well-maintained in an impressive downtown Manhattan building; plenty of Federal/Jewish holidays off; relatively easy and low-stress job, I was never kept overtime unnecessarily and nearly all of my coworkers including my boss were polite and friendly.

Cons

The pay is very underwhelming especially for NYC costs of living, same with benefits, and ability to move upward in the company seemed minimal (I didn't stay long enough to find out, but I know coworkers who never received raises or promotions over several years.) I found the work to be dull, repetitive, and uninspiring, as a "designer" you are mostly not designing much of anything but rather carrying out the ideas of the art director/buyers - it's basically assembly line work. Like working in a factory that happens to produce t-shirt designs. I was bored all the time, and quit because of it, despite having the most "creative" entry-level job in the place. Bottom line - if you're an aspiring artist or illustrator, work here if you want a steady 9 to 5 that's vaguely related to art, but don't expect anything truly stimulating.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice aside from recommending pay raises for the artists (more incentive to do better work!) but overall no one ever treated me poorly - the company knows what its doing; it simply sells apparel designs for mass-market and employs people to do it. Just not the right fit for some people.

10. "Creatively inspiring and stimulating place to work for a Designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Freeze full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Art Director was always available and helpful and good at collaborating with me. He tried to recognize my skills and styles of design and gave me projects accordingly. He was super talented and an inspiration to work with.

Cons

Salary could be better and also benefits.

Advice to Management

Consider sponsoring work visas for designers who are qualified to be hired.