Freeze Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Creatively inspiring and stimulating place to work for a Designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Freeze full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Art Director was always available and helpful and good at collaborating with me. He tried to recognize my skills and styles of design and gave me projects accordingly. He was super talented and an inspiration to work with.

Cons

Salary could be better and also benefits.

Advice to Management

Consider sponsoring work visas for designers who are qualified to be hired.

2. "EXTREMELY POOR Leadership/ Management, some nice coworkers"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1 hour lunches Mon-Thurs (Fri half-hour). Some of the employees are good people. Regular Office Hours. You can chat while you work. The desks/ cubes are nice and large. There is a refrigerator in the lunchroom to keep your food in.

Cons

They don't care about their employees' happiness.
    DO NOT apply here if you don't want to be put into a position where you're given more work than you can handle, or if you're not open to your responsibilities growing. They'll little by little give you tasks that do not fit your your job description.
    Hardly ever spoke to or received feedback from anyone higher than me. Many emails went unanswered or only given a couple of words for an answers (with misspellings). While I was a new employee and later when new tasks were given to me, more often than not I received little to no training.
    Also, they DO NOT MAINTAIN THE INSIDE OF THE BUILDING. If you have allergies, this is not the place for you. It looks OK at first, but the roof/ ceiling leaks when it rains, they do not dust properly, they use a broken vacuum; the cleaning staff just doesn't care (they hang out in the lunchroom while they're supposed to be cleaning). Once they put WET TOILET PAPER INTO THE STALLS. It could have been wet from leaking from the roof/ ceiling!

Advice to Management

Treat others the way you'd want to be treated.

3. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Reception in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Reception in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only pros to working there is you get all of the Jewish holidays off, and Friday's you go in earlier and leave earlier

Cons

Management is inept. The controller does just that, controls everyone's lives. She wants you to come in early, work through lunch, stay late, all without being compensated. She thinks nothing of degrading employees by screaming at them in front of others. She has no sense of reality There are a few bosses pets who run back to her every time they have any gossip.. If you are her pet, things are ok, otherwise it's like walking on egg shells there. I've never worked somewhere where there was so much stress. I'm so happy to be free from Freeze!!

Advice to Management

Try acting like you actually care for your employees.I know it's hard considering how you are, but otherwise nobody will ever stay, and YOUR JOB will be at stake. Ha. Can't wait for that day to come!

5. "Great for Entry, Bad for Everything Else"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in New York, NY

Pros

For an entry level graphic artist position, it was great. Having recently graduated, it was nice to find a job within my field with benefits (very minimal benefits, but benefits nonetheless). It was simply a job to take for experience to move on from after a year. You do get a lot of the Jewish and Federal Holidays off, which was a perk every so often.

Cons

Nothing really creative about the job, and it's not work I ever shared with my friends and colleagues for my portfolio. Salary you can barely get by on with the cost of living in New York. Poor management and art direction, at least on my team. People in general there are childish and the company culture is not fostered at all. Near the end of my time there no one on my team was talking to me for very juvenile reasons. You are expected to stay over time and they don't even respect your time. They say to come in on time at 9, but no on takes it seriously, and raises rarely come (they're very strict about it and still very frugal about it). The artists and designers do a lot of work but the Sales Team make the commission and the artists who made the designs aren't compensated at all. They have benefits, but they're about the lowest you can get. It's also an Assyrian Jewish company, so if you apply to another company after working here that is owned and run by Assyrian Jewish, they can't hire you as it's part of their code. No growth with the company, they're even strict about upgrading their system and computers. My computer at the time was six years old and would crash every so often and the CEO refused to upgrade my team's hardware. It's simply a sad and poor working environment and I still have friends there who are really trying to leave. You witness a lot of nepotism in the company too.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. You make a ton of money and that shouldn't be shared with just the sales team. You can afford to upgrade the hardware and give raises to those who truly deserve them. Try to actually show you care and appreciate them besides reminding them they are expendable and maybe you'll actually get better reviews.

6. "Production Coordinator"

Current Employee - Production in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production in New York, NY

I have been working at Freeze full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People. You get to interact with a lot of people from different departments. Get to learn a lot of graphic and printing techniques

Cons

Negative to changes. Compensation is moderate,not as you expect. No growth in the company

7. "Great starter job."

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in New York, NY

I have been working at Freeze full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly managers, talented people. Everyone is down to earth and casual. Fridays end at 4pm and a lot of the staff go out for drinks. Free coffee!

Cons

None really. Left because I had to move to a different state.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Freeze full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of other artists to meet, really cool people.

Cons

I was not trained, I was not given the same resources as other graphic artists, I was sat separate from everyone else in the office, my department had no art director, so I was receiving very unclear critique from a merchandiser, which resulted in her never being happy with my work. I busted my ass for 3 months, with no satisfactory results. Eventually I got fed up and quit.
    For the record, most of the other people who work there are miserable.

Advice to Management

Every division needs an art director. Also, if you have been having to refill the same position over and over again, maybe it's not the artists you're hiring, maybe it's the management they are receiving.

"Freeze- Imagine Screen Printing- Separation Artist"

Former Employee - Seperation Artist in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Seperation Artist in Dayton, NJ

Pros

The income is steady and so is the daily routine: 9-5 pm weekly except on Fridays, 9-4 pm. Lunch breaks are flexible as long as you get your work done and have a good reason, such as kids or doctors appointments to leave.
    They offered heath benefits. The office space was cleaned daily.

Cons

There is no opportunity for career growth, as a separation artist at Imagine. No higher position to aspire to, or promotion for that matter. When I joined, employees who had been there for 10 + years had not received a raise in 6 years.
    As a new employee I only had 5 personal days all year until I had completed 2 years. I and my fellow artists were promised all the jewish holidays, christmas and thanksgiving, but one month into the job, HR told us we were not going to get those days, even though the employees in the offices on the other side of our factory did.
    At my interview I was told that I had to stay late if the work load demanded it but there was never an incentive to help the company out in this way because the management was so poor. We were often given 'homework' to do on our own time for extra hourly pay, but management was trying to get us to stay late and do it for free instead. Management wanted us to work through our lunch breaks when there was a lot of work to get done, but they also forbid us from having meals in the office. While I was employed there, an air conditioner for the office broke down. Since the separation artists work in a one room office, with no windows, the temperature reached 90+ degrees daily (we had a thermometer). This problem went on for over 3 months, despite repeated requests from the artists and the management to have it fixed.
    The communication between management, design offices, and employees was poor and often neglected. There was only one phone in the room for 5 people when I started, and when I left there were two, and none of the were for the artists personal use. While there I made an effort to make my job more efficient and effective by creating a checklist for artwork being submitted for production. This was largely ignored and unnoticed.
    The management did not support independent thinking, schedules, or initiatives to receive a higher educational. Management used inappropriate language towards subordinate employees.
    I feel prospective applicants to this company in general should know that the management was mostly of a certain religious group, and management recruitment seemed to greatly depend upon that. I do not recommend working for Freeze Division or it's subsidiary Image Screen Production.

Advice to Management

If you want artists who stay late to complete work offer a competitive salary with ways to receive pay raises and rewards. Also, treat them equal to other office employees. Give yearly bonuses/ pay raises to all employees, including factory workers. Make employees feel valued and independent. Happy employees do lots of good work.

10. "good post-graduation job"

I have been working at Freeze full-time

Pros

Good people, nice working atmosphere

Cons

Not paid enough, no real advancement

11. "entry level only"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist

I worked at Freeze full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of jewish holidays and getting to leave early on fridays. Depending on which department you are in, you might get someone who genuinely cares about your well being.
    Coworkers are very talented and friendly people.

Cons

where do I start?
    Pay: The obvious ones is that it's very low pay. They always bank on hiring fresh college grad which is the easy way to low-ball your salary. Speaking of pay, the difference of what a salesperson make compared to a designer is miles part. Granted, it's comparing apples and oranges, but when you compare the effort that's put into the occupation, it seems very unfair that they get paid 50% more for doing a whole lot less. Majority of the time I was there, the sales people would just chit chat, go to the bathroom and be on their smartphones all day playing games or making personal calls. The artists' on the other hand, create art on tight deadlines, gets all the blame if anything goes wrong and get this...doesn't make any commission off the art they make. All of the art sales are tacted onto the salesperson's paycheck instead. I overheard a salesperson seeing an artwork being printed out and said "oh you made this art? Man, I gotta thank you for that, I bought a new house with that piece alone, thanks bro!"

Trentment of employees: in addition to the inequal nepotism, our well being wasn't much of a concern for them. During Hurricane Sandy, the CEO wanted us to come into work. It wasn't until the MTA shut down that he allowed 1 day off, ONE. If you weren't able to come in the next day, they take it out of your sick/vacation days. Same scenario a few years later when the floor had a bed bug problem. Because we were on a tight deadline, we were forced to stay to finish instead of leaving the area.

Benefits: one of the bottom of the barrel health insurances where you end up paying a lot out of pocket. no dental, no vision.

HR will fight you tooth and nails over not wanting to give you essential office supply like hightlighters, post-its and tape.

I can go one. But bottom line is that this company will only treat you like cattle.

Advice to Management

stop living in your own little bubble and listen to the small guys that work in the company.