G5 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
G5 Co-Founder & CEO Dan Hobin
Dan Hobin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Moving in the right direction!!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive in Bend, OR

I have been working at G5 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined this company in January. I previously worked at another large software company here in Bend. G5 definitely embraces the Bend culture more than most, and sometimes to a fault, but not very often anymore. I can say that G5 is making a very serious conscious effort to become a legitimate software organization. We are working very long hours and focused on success in the sales department. Management is honest and open.
    I see the "good ol' days" of short work days and sipping craft beer from the keg in the rear view mirror. G5 is asking more from the employees and getting solid production in return.
    This company is a national contender in the space, and free from "technical debt" that limits most organizations from growing and evolving.
    I haven't experienced anything like the negative reviews posted. This company is on the rise for sure.

Cons

Crowded office. It's really fun, but they could use a few Google- type quiet spaces. The energy in the office is incredible.

Advice to Management

It's obvious that things are moving in the right direction. Your honest and open communication is great! Keep it up!

2. "Incredible culture and people, struggling product."

Current Employee - Client Success in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Client Success in Bend, OR

I have been working at G5 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO cares. The benefits are good (they pay 100% monthly premiums for employees - adding family members is expensive). They celebrate "summer Fridays" where employees are encouraged to wrap up their week of work by 1pm Friday during the summer. The people are amazing and there is truly a sense of community at the company.

Cons

High churn in the product development department and immature practices for operationalizing new product lead to disjointed processes, manual work and frustrated clients. Department heads are not effective at establishing, documenting and rolling out new products or processes. There are also LOTS of politics, especially for teams that touch the sales or product teams.

Advice to Management

Focus less on booking the next dollar and more on:
    1.) Scaling your organization through tools/ processes.
    2.) Invest in systems/ tools for people (beyond sales).
    3.) Reign in your product team and hold them accountable.
    4.) Quit promoting people based on tenure. Too many "VP's" - Makes the title seem like a joke.
    5.) Split engineering resources and dedicate 1 team to current client issue/ product enhancements and the other to new product developments.

"If you're not in sales, don't bother"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I worked at G5 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can bring your dog in. Beer.

Cons

Execs like to tout being the best place to work in Bend, which isn't exactly high praise considering how small of a town it is. Leadership only cares about hitting their sales numbers and has zero vision for the future of the company. When given two days to come up with a mission statement, they came up with "Grow. Profitably." as if that's some super unique goal that no other company doesn't already strive for. The sales department is practically a fraternity and if you're not in it, don't expect any acknowledgement of the amount of tireless work you do. Each month there's an all hands meeting where employees can give awards to their fellow coworkers. Too many times were they given because "he/she stayed all weekend and all evenings." Overpromising and bending to clients' will and irrational/impossible timelines makes for overworked and frustrated employees.

G5's definition of Culture is "We have a kombucha tap and live in a pretty city. Also go ahead and bring your dogs to work cause you'll need them for emotional support when you're heads down on work."

Advice to Management

Trust that your employees know what they're doing. If they say it's going to take x amount of time, it's going to take x amount of time. Don't tell them they have x/2 time to get it done.

Don't ask your employees to donate their PTO for someone who needs it because of an emergency. That's taking advantage of your employees' good will when you as a company should have your employees' backs when they need it.

"Take Advantage of Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I have been working at G5 (More than a year)

Pros

They have a keg of beer.

Cons

G5 takes complete advantage of the fact that they are one of the largest tech companies in Bend by paying their employees 15-20% below the standard wage. Not only does middle and upper management preach a work life balance which NO ONE follows you'll feel like they want you to be in a G5 cult, they are also completely dishonest and fake.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and pay them accordingly.

"Great Place to Work, Great Perks"

I have been working at G5 full-time

Pros

Some of the individuals who give G5 a "neutral" review simply didn't progress with the company as we grew. It is a lot easier when a company is just starting up, to hire people that maybe lack in certain areas of expertise. In order for our company to continue to be competitive, it is important that positions are filled with highly qualified personnel. With growth, comes change. Some are less adaptable to change and new standards.

We have an amazing culture at G5. My coworkers are some of my closest friends. The second you walk through our lobby doors, our culture is visible. You will be asked if you've been helped multiple times by various G5'ers, until the person you were scheduled to meet with greets you.

Most tech companies are open office environments. If you struggle with an open office environment, take your laptop to another floor or quiet area (there are many quiet areas in the building). I think naturally, people just like to complain because they can.

I guess what matters, is that I love working here. I love our culture, the people, the perks; medical, dental, vision premiums paid by the company, health & wellness activities, flex schedules, generous PTO package and paid holidays, salaries higher than market trends in Bend, Oregon, etc.

Cons

No company is perfect, but employees who voluntarily leave our company do frequently come back. Or, at least try to.

"G5 - Digital Marketing "jobs" in Bend, OR"

I have been working at G5 full-time

Pros

If you want to be dispensable and work at a factory with no growth or real connection with digital marketing, this may be the place for you.

Cons

If you're serious about your career or your personal dignity, work for a different company. I've seen this company fail its employees, its clients and its own products. G5 is run by investors, and is now eliminating leadership positions, firing people who have dedicated themselves to the company for many years, as well as leaders who relocated across the country to work here, at the same time as hiring new people. Communication is non-existent, there are no clear goals (except to cash out the investors and executive team in three years), the exec team is extremely dysfunctional, and the product has fundamental flaws that are not seen as important. The product is broken and absolutely embarrassing. The company promotes its "culture" and values but it is a fake front. Just because it's an open office doesn't mean it's culture. There are no valuable "perks," no benefits for dependents. I have witnessed direct disrespect at every level, towards current employees, previous employees and clients. Executives smirk at and dismiss valid exit interviews by ex-employees. The feedback from employees isn't even considered. You graduated high school for a reason. If you don't want to go back, don't come to G5. This is not worth getting stuck in. Please read and re-read all the reviews here on Glassdoor. Don't believe the fake positive ones they're writing for damage control, and using to lure in young people to fill the entry-level positions. If you are someone with morals, please think twice. If you value your personal career, ethics, or want to learn skills you may actually use, go elsewhere. If you're a high-level person who has built a career from your own success and you're considering taking a position here, don't move to Bend for this company or think that you can make a difference, or that your intelligence will be utilized. The wages are insulting, not nearly enough to pay for Bend's inflated housing. The infrastructure is failing in this city, there are no rentals, and the city is just as deceptive as G5. Don't change your life for this place. It's demoralizing and insulting to your career. Good luck and make a wise choice. I'm a current employee, but I'm leaving soon, and very thankful to get out.

Advice to Management

It's completely irrelevant because it's immediately dismissed.

7. "Great place"

Pros

Great place to work and learn.

Cons

Can be very loud due to open-office environment.

8. "Growing company in Bend Oregon"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I have been working at G5 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to cut your teeth in a creative tech environment. Fast growth allows for go-getters to develop unique opportunities for them.

Cons

Organizational silos can be frustrating to overcome and ultimately impact business success.

Advice to Management

Overarching operational strangles across departments.

"Felt stuck here for years"

Former Employee - Paid Search Analyst in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Paid Search Analyst in Bend, OR

I worked at G5 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's comforting to see most of the positive reviews here mention the keg and "culture." Those things are nice while you're drinking the kool-aid. A lot of the people are really nice and the benefits are good. Free coffee was actually really nice because it was something I never had to worry about.

Cons

Open office plan = good luck getting work done & buy your own noise cancelling headphones because it's a real zoo. Employees are practically begging for more training and for processes to be nailed down. Departments don't talk to each other nearly enough and processes never get fixed so they're constantly working against each other while more and more is expected of everybody over time. This company gets just enough done to get funding/attention in spite of itself. Most of my friends there are miserable. I also just learned that management is taught how important they are to the organization and that their employees under them are replaceable, which makes sense why I felt that's how I was being treated. I would guess that because there are so many people scrambling for a job interview, G5 doesn't feel the need to give their current employees encouragement, resources or acknowledgment for good work. They're also working against a mound, nay, a mountain of technical debt because of all the on- and offboarding of different software and applications. The Paid team has also been desperately trying to automate a lot of work and still can't figure out how to do that to take work of their overloaded employees' plates.

Advice to Management

You don't need 5 different internal communication tools. Get processes hammered out and get people to follow them. Make your employees feel good so they want to come to work everyday and give you their best. Figure out how to leverage automation tools so your company can become scalable while maintaining sanity. Listen to your employees, especially when they tell you in the survey *every year* that communication between departments is terrible. Quit focusing on how "cool" your culture is and work on living up to the values you claim to have.

"Love the Company - but Leadership is Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I worked at G5 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

G5 prides itself on the fun culture. Open office concept, music, energetic atmosphere, etc... Surface-perks; local coffee, local beer, beverages including juices, waters, soda, etc... Very fun parties and team building events. I made lifelong friends at G5. The product is also genius and potentially capable of generating a lot of revenue.

Cons

Leadership is reactive, hurried and tangled-up in day-to-day unnecessary chaos and drama. Unfortunately, higher level Manager, Director and VP positions are generally given to long term employees whether they have the skills and/or ability to perform the duties. If the squeaky wheel is loud enough, a position may even be created with unnecessary responsibilities and exaggerated titles with no merit and corresponding high salaries. The staff (whether they know it or not) is starving for good leadership to follow.

Advice to Management

Remember to breathe. Take time to make informed and educated decisions. Have the courage to terminate employees (all levels). Hire someone to help you get your arms and brains wrapped around the processes and products in place. Have the patience to wait for the results of their recommendations to make your work and processes easier in the future. Lead your teams. Provide an example for them to follow, not just a title and salary for them to resent.