GHD Reviews | Glassdoor

GHD CEO Ashley Wright
Ashley Wright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low work-life balance because of too much work (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours and at times stressful (in 11 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

I have been working at GHD full-time

Pros

Benefits are good so is 401K

Cons

Flexibility is very slacking here

2. "Great Employee Owned Global Company"

I have been working at GHD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GHD is a great employee owned company. There are limitless opportunities throughout the US and internationally. I have enjoyed working here since 2009. It has grown considerably in the past 5 years and continues to rise up the ENR rankings.
    Supportive management (provides the tools you need, guidance for projects)
    Experts in every field are easily accessible and happy to help
    Generous vacation time
    Highly ethical; they truly value doing the right thing over making money
    Environmentally conscious - leader in sustainability
    Invest in employees long-term (training, development, and progressively more challenging assignments)
    Healthy balance of work and fun - numerous social events / parties scheduled throughout the year

Cons

There are occasionally difficult engineering challenges due to the large technical nature of the projects, but they're outweighed by the positives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great people-focused environment, so that we can always bring in the best and brightest talent

3. "Good Experience"

Pros

Good health benefits and 401k.
    Autonomy.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

Pay is below market.
    Mainly older white men in power.
    Initiatives don't seem to get the kind of Sr. Management support that they should.

"My Career Turned Into a Job...."

Former Employee - Forensic Scientist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Forensic Scientist in Tampa, FL

I worked at GHD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in the local offices!! The senior managers get paid significantly more than the local market can support.

Cons

After merger with CRA things changed for the worst....

Advice to Management

Don't put regional managers in charge of local senior managers, that have no concept of the business that we were in especially when they don't respond when they are contacted. Many of the local managers have my same opinion but get paid too well to speak up. The culture has changed dramatically after the merger for the worst. This makes people like me leave the firm that I thought I would retire from after years of employment.... I left because my career turned into a job in 2014 about a year after our merger with GHD....

"Good start, but not forward thinking"

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist

I worked at GHD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- reliable work in the office I was in
    - for the most part interesting colleagues
    - you can get good entry level experience

Cons

- billable hour is king
    - the leadership is mostly older white males with little foresight or technological understanding
    - personal, professional, and business growth is hampered by stratified management and focus on billable hours

"Civil/Structural Engineer"

Current Employee - Civil/Structural Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Civil/Structural Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at GHD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule as long as job gets done

Cons

Not very well organized.
    Small company

"PROJECT SCIENTIST"

I worked at GHD full-time

Pros

good place to work
    learning
    colleagues
    flexible hours

Cons

no raises
    no recognition
    no variety of work
    no diversity

"Avoid GHD Golden at all costs."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Golden, CO

I worked at GHD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location in Golden, very nice co-workers at the staff level, offices were very nice.

Cons

This office does not provide a work environment that allows people to produce good work. Management bullies and undermines employees; management never has meetings in which employees can contribute to the discussion about project scheduling and project requirements; and management speaks poorly about non-present employees to other employees. Management lies about employees to Human Resources and then Human Resources and upper air management acquiesce. Management's approach in this office is to control employees through intimidation and divisiveness. For over 20 years working in professional settings, I've rarely experienced such a system where management feels that highly skilled and trained engineers and scientists must be controlled by bullying tactics. GHD must spend many thousands on the vetting and background checks for each of their engineers. Why does management then treat employees as though they need to be intimidated and berated? It's amazing to me that the office manages to stay in business, given that their engineering skills are mediocre at best, while their people-management and selling skills score total negatives.

Advice to Management

Ignore the bad practices of management at the risk of losing GHD's engineering credibility. Because of absolutely awful management practices, I saw mistakes on engineering work that should never have happened; multiple occurrences of tasks that were done twice, by different people in the same office, because management refused to allow employees to know who was doing what; multiple instances of make-work being performed by engineers that management appeared to favor at the moment, while management berated others to finish demanding work very quickly. Wow! If I hadn't experienced this, I would have found it hard to believe that a consulting firm that runs like this would still be in business. I brought in a lucrative local client within weeks, yet for their four years since opening, management hadn't brought in any local clients, instead fully relying on remote GHD offices to supply work overflow. The lack of local work is not surprising, given management's inability to trust employees and to support their efforts, which would allow management to go out and sell. However, my experience with selling is that clients actually have to like their consultants and to have a positive opinion of the consultant's integrity, in order for that consultant to earn their business. Yet it will be a very tall order for current management in Golden to be perceived positively by clients. Yet other managers in remote locations look the other way? What's up, GHD?

"Don't Lie to Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cazenovia, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cazenovia, NY

I worked at GHD full-time

Pros

None at all. nothing noteworthy here

Cons

Utilization rate
    lack of interesting projects
    Old boys club, if you are different you will be given a cold shoulder
    Management is made up of gossips and liars

Advice to Management

Don't hire an employee to fulfill a roll and position, then later proceed to have no projects or work for them only to later remove the said position and then proceed to terminate their employment for a position you clearly have no need for. if you post a position online and hire someone don't later find out you won't have work for said position. make your business decisions way before the hiring and firing period, young engineers are not tools you can use for month and throw away.

Lying is bad

"Steer clear."

I worked at GHD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Parties and snacks, if you can find time to attend.

Cons

Favoritism, sexism, ageism, nationalism, harrassment. Condescending management. Forced "retirements". Ownership model is a pyramid structure based on convincing young engineers to draw on their home equity for investment, and then sell services in a pressure cooker. Unhealthy for human beings. Steer clear.

Advice to Management

Stop the bullying. Extend yourselves - commit to educate for the isms, and ferret out the harrassment. Start at the top. It permeates the whole organization.